Options

Alternative marathons

Comments

• Options
    Thanks BK. I must admit that I was quite dissapointed the 1st time, but have got used to it now.
  • Options
    Zurich 17 July. Fast course, 3 laps, scenic, great crowds, huge forum presence.
  • Options
    I was determined not to be dissapointed this year Nick by not thinking about it. When the pack arrived though it just drags you down. Perhaps they should change the wording in the magazine in order to make it a little less obvious we all FAILED.

Have decided on Taunton.

Is Edinburgh worth £37?
  • Options
    might be nice if they even bothered to let one know
    Grumpy Hippo
  • Options
    they've not told me either Hipps, maybe they lost our entries?
  • Options
    no. my flippin cheque did get cashed
    :(
  • Options
    Yorkshire Lass and Plodding Hippo - my cheque was cashed and they haven't bothered to tell me yet either - I was sure the rejection would arrive today....nice to know I'm not alone at least.
  • Options
    My cheque was cashed on November 3rd. I haven't heard yet either, unless it's come in the post today. Perhaps they're doing it by surname, alphabetically. They have been saying in the weekly newsletter that it'll take until mid-December to notify all 100,000 applicants.
  • Options
    I did the first Edinburgh in 1999 and it was fantastic. It is expensive but a lovely run.
  • Options
    I wish they would let me know to. Wolfy glad you enjoyed Edinburgh 1999, I didn't enjoy that particular marathon.
  • Options
    Not alphabetical, I'm afraid - the 'V' rejections were out with a 'get-it-over-with' prompness.

I'm planning to do the Mont St Michel marathon in June, with the brighter morning training that it entails.

Is there really no-one that's done this race before or even knows someone who has?
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Mont St. Michel - I read an article about it in a French running magazine (probably "Courir").

It looked absolutely brilliant, with a pancake flat and ludicrously scenic course and some good crowd support too.
  • Options
    Gutted. Got home last night to find a lovely new FLM rain jacket... attached to a sodoff letter. Had a reason for wanting to do FLM 2005, wanted to do it in support of the Battle of Britain memorial which is being unveiled on Victoria Embankment next summer. 65th anniversary of the Battle and all that. :(

I'm still adamant that I want to fundraise for the Memorial. So I now need to find another marathon, in the UK, in 2005, which 'fits' with the Battle of Britain. It was fought over Kent, and Battle of Britain day is September 15th.

That'll be me putting an application in for the Kent Coastal then! :D
  • Options
    Hi everyone,

been rejected for FLM too, and looking for first marathon to do, hopefully in spring. Lochabar sounds good, but wondering if a bit difficult to get to? Might go for Shakespeare one as got family not too far from there. Or the IOW in May - looking on their website think it's quite small but last year's results did have some slower times and thinking I'm going to be very slow so don't want a marathon where I'm likely to finish hours after everyone else. Will keep reading through the events page...
  • Options
    got my sodoff letter on Tuesday. So they did get my entry after all. Anyway I'm up for Taunton now. ya boo.
  • Options
    This is feedback I got from the organisers after Halstead this year, when I suggested any earlier start time. Lets just hope that those of you who have decided to run it, do not get the baking I got.

"You got round when as a result of the heat, St. John had never been so busy; our Race Director was bringing runners back in his car and our Course Director was reporting runners sitting down all round the course as the heat was making them dizzy".

We discuss yearly whether we should bring the start time back. We have a lot of runners who come a long way for whom it will be difficult, but the tendancy is to start earlier these days"

I have run two marathons since Halstead, and now mentally prepare myself, for the last six miles, by telling myself it's going to be tough run in, but it will never ever get as bad as the last six miles at Halstead.

......and it never has, thank God.

• Options
    IOW is a runners event - well organised - with many runners returning every year, for the annual "challenge". Its the marathon that all marathoners should aim to get on their running"CV" !

Saw somewhere that if rejected 5 times for FLM then you get an entry - does this mean 5 in a row - or 5 over the years ?

Got my second in a row London reject last Sat - plan Taunton and Fort William instead
  • Options
    Saw Edinburgh mentioned earlier - got a guaranteed entry form in my FLM reject pack-almost fell over,its £37 yes £37 to enter !
    Is this too expensive/a rip off - what do others think ?
  • Options
    Still waiting. Who's for White Peak and hang the cutoff?
  • Options
    I'm looking for an alternative to FLM, and am doing Dublin in October so I'd prefer it to be around the same time as Dublin to allow for approx. 6 mnths between marathons.
    Bearing in mind I will probably be by myself with no supporters or family coming along, which would be the best choice...Lochaber or Shakespeare?
  • Options
    ..prefer to be around same time as FLM 2005... (is what I meant to say)
  • Options
    best go for Bungay Black Dog or Taunton then if you want to stay in the UK.
  • Options
    I was thinking about edingburgh, but agree is a rip -off at that price!
    What sort of standard are Bungay Black Dog and Taunton?
  • Options
    I did Bungay Black dog mara in April this year and hated it. Will never do it again. Dismal course, too many cars and annoyingly hilly given that its on norfolk/suffolk border. It is a double loop of a 13 mile course (never good, esp if you didn't enjoy first loop) and they set off a half marathon race on same course 2 hours after the marathon starts. Means you spend most of 2nd loop with fresh faced light weights zipping past you. Not that I'm bitter, you understand.
  • Options
    I agree Edinburgh is a rip off but still doing it as I've always liked a good night out in the place! Anyone doing/done Edinburgh - what's it like? I know they are taking Arthur's Seat out this year but what's the rest of the course like - not too hilly I hope but I rather think I will be glad of all the hills round me at home to get some training on them! Let me know anyone.
  • Options
    The 17th April is my 21st birthday so i really wanted to get into FLM. But I didn't so instead, on the same day I'm planning a marathon along the south downs way with people from running club. If anyone is interested in running with us or knowing the route etc, email me.
  • Options
    has everyone forgotten the Shakespeare marathon? it was really great and inspite of the extreme heat last year I ran my best in 5 years. The festival is on at the same time which adds to the atmosphere. If I remember it's the week after the FLM.
  • Options
    Anyone else have an opinion on Bungay? I was deciding between Bungay and Shakespeare (want a UK spring event) and had pretty much settled on Bungay, but having heard what Downhill said I'm beginning to wonder. I've done dismal courses before but 10K through an industrial estate and along a dual carriageway is a bit different to a full marathon...

But on the other hand, as someone else said, *nothing* can ever be as bad as those last 6 miles at Halstead 2004!
  • Options
    Hi ,
    Shakespere marathon is well organised,1 large hill and not enough drinks stops,( only water and orange juice in 2000).still a good marathon,challenging with a broad range of ability in the field.recommended .
    Kind regards.