Options

Northern Ireland Running

Comments

• Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

C75 – lol – Thankfully they were those black-stretchy-short looking things. I might be able to wear them again because for some reason she doesn’t want them back image

• Options

Mags - that's a really great run. Sorry that your chip time didn't register for some reason. You just have to remember that it's only going to be your PB until your next marathon anyway, when you'll beat it. And then it won't worry you anymore. When you first started posting here, I think I recall you worried about being near the back of the field at races - now you have a marathon time which has you beating something like half of the field. And the splits basically start in the mid-9s, and finish in the mid-9s. That means you ran a good race.

Darrrrrryl - wow. Outstanding time. Wish I had just pipped you in Belfast by those few seconds, rather that the other way around. Because I don't think I'll get the chance again. I think you're wise to step back to the 5k/10k stuff for a while. You have plenty of years ahead of you, but you know now how to train for and run a good marathon, and have nothing to fear when you come back to it.

Well done Paul on your course best. Sounds like you need to find an answer to losing time queuing for toilets next time. Wonder what your 'coach' would advise?

Ferdy - well done on a great run. A strongly run marathon, even a negative split, on your debut at the distance? Not too many people manage that. Really pleased for you. (and I love the punch skywards on your finish line video too!! image)

Rower - a dead even paced 3:14:59? Is that what they call a Just In Time marathon? You looked fecked but happy in your finish line vid (well, at least the parts where you're not obscured by a massive balloon).

Badbark - image. Are you serious? I'm pretty much speechless. Great run and all that - but in your GF's pants??!??!

C75 - great to hear from you again. I think the question you're asking will likely get as many different answers as there are folk on here, to be honest, because motivation is such a personal thing. What do you enjoy most? What do you dream of still doing in the sport? PBs or trophies? Hope you find the answers you need. If you want some company for an easy hour or two's run on a Sunday, give me a shout. If you want some company for a hard set of 800's...... call Darrryl image.

• Options

LOL, there is some great stuff on here! Everyones marathons sound all different, all great!

BB- top marks, great time too! Can you point me in the direction of a training schedule you were using? You can leave the underwear suggestions out for me though.image

• Options

Mistake in my earlier post - got my time wrong (doh!). It should have read 3:21. Paul - I was so excited that they'd called out my name! Embarrassed now though image

Unfortunately I found out today that, despite finishing 4th in my age cat in the Comber XC trials, I haven't been chosen in the 4 person team. Someone who didn't take part in the trials got selected instead. Not sure how that works but nothing can wipe the smile off my face this week!

• Options

I didn't die in Dublin - 4 month old laptop hard disk didimage.

Ran a 3 minute PB 3:17:23 - pre race massage on Sunday at Expo was best spent 25Euro. I had a very tight hamstring and the guy really loosened it up, worked a treat. My groin/suspect hernia did cause a little discomfort on way round but I didn't push the hills too hard. A little disappointed I didn't break 3:15 as I kept the pacer/balloon within 200 metres the whole way until 23rd mile but ran out of steam a little at end. However still got to be pleased with a PBimage.

On the subject of training - just a little thought provoker. I had a look at my mileage over the last 16 weeks, "less is more"? Averaged only 31 mile a week, highest week was 45 mile. Only 2*20 mile 2*19mile and a 16 miler for long runs.

Well done to all who ran Dublin and congrats on all the PB's. That was my 4th Dublin mara and I think the best support/crowds I have seen.

• Options

Ferdy, possibly the fact that you ran the marathon so close to the International XC race, meant that they picked someone who they considered would be fresher for the team. Was the person picked very far behind you at Comber ?

BadBark, your race report must be the most interesting and shocking. Terrific run but you know what will be remembered most about it in the years to come.

Another good interval session tonight. 4 x 5min with 2min recovery and then 1 x 1min. Recovery run tomorrow but not as early as usual, as I am off work the rest of the week. Will also try to do around 12 miles on Friday and a shorter run on Saturday.

• Options

Ferdy that disappointing as I though you had to run the trials to be selected.

• Options

Sorry Ferdy, realise now that they didn't even run at Comber.  You have every reason to be annoyed at that.

Got 6 miles done today at 8:15 pace. Problem is that my heart rate fluctuated a lot during the run.  Felt fine during the run and didn't feel as if I was working too hard.

• Options
    Ferdy - do you have to join some sort of vets association to be eligible to be picked??  Just a thought - a shame nevertheless.
  • Options
    Ferdy - did they say why you couldn't run? A N.I vest would have been great to run in

Is anyone run the sperrin winter series this Saturday? 5miler

I've entered the Novice Xc in Monaghan and the Steeley cup
  • Options

Ferdy-i heard from our coach you have to join the vets association,if you have then why you arent selected is bewlidering.

Alan- will not be making training tonight as im resting all this week but will be back next week,have you done any of the sunday runs yet with the club???

in regards to myself feeling ok after the marathon just realllly tired and got a minor ache in the foot but its the type of ache which will get better,i recognise it after marathons,no other distance.

• Options
    No Darryl haven't got up yet on a Sunday. Mainly because of going out on the drink every Saturday but I'm off the booze until after the Steeley 10km so should be up most weeks until then and hopefully every Sunday. Got transfer forms for Matt to sign tonight. Good to hear you feeling ok after Dublin.
  • Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Lisoider – Congratulations on your Dublin PB!

Joe Rocket wrote (see)

LOL, there is some great stuff on here! Everyones marathons sound all different, all great!

BB- top marks, great time too! Can you point me in the direction of a training schedule you were using? You can leave the underwear suggestions out for me though.image

JR – I adapted a P&D schedule to fit my life and incorporate other advice I’d picked up.

Mon – Rest

Tue – 11 to 15 miles most at planned MP

Wed – 5 miles easy

Thur – 6 to 8 miles including 800m or 1 mile fast reps or tempo run

Fri – Rest

Sat – 15 to 23.5 mile LSR including 1 to 6 miles at MP near the end

Sun – 6 miles easy with 10 x strides

Every third week I would reduce the Tuesday run to 6 miles MP and the Saturday LSR to 15 miles easy.

• Options

Interesting chat about NI Masters Assoc-only paidup members can be selected for the 5 country international.The first 3 ladies are automatic selection(first 4 men)and the commitee picks the other runner.(2 for Men). If a runner is absent on the dayie sick a letter to explain their absence can be given in.Think the lady in question a British Masters medal winner and top local(35age) is too good to leave out!-runs for Nbh!image

Interestingly the male 35 team made up with some 40s and 45s plus the automatic 35s(who finished behind many older runners)image

psFerdy hope u make it next year.

• Options
    BBT - Cathy or Breege? Not sure of ages but only two girls I can think of. Seen a list of your personal bests the other day, all I can say is wooow, amazing times
  • Options

Would be the former Alan - she was sick that day... The latter is still open for a few years yet.

Don't know the rules so can't comment too much but have heard similar stories before unfortunately. Possibly a problem that no-one knows the rules...

Tempo tonight. Weather looks rubbish enough for it...

Check out the dublin marathon video for #15024. The guy ran a lot of it backwards. Very amusing. Keep an eye on the left hand side of the video - you can't miss him.

• Options
    26 Extreme open night @ Surf Mtn. 6-8pm Heading over before Joy Division talk with Paul Morley @ Oh Yeah Centre
  • Options

I'm not saying that the runner chosen isn't quicker than me (because as BBT has pointed out - she clearly is!) - just that I think the selection process should be clearer. Every other runner I've spoken to was under the same impression as I was - that you had to run in the trials to be selected (and I am a member of NIMAA - I've been made a "reserve" for the team) - but thanks BBT for clearing it up. I don't understand why they keep it such a big secret!! However, while I'm getting to the bottom of some NIMAA running mysteries - does anyone know why the female vets don't wear their age on their back like the male vets at Comber?

I've finally got time to read the marathon reports properly and I still can't quite believe BB ran in his girlfriend's pants!!

Lisoider - congratulations on your pb.

How is everyone recovering from Dublin? My legs were really stiff and sore tues and yesterday (I was doing the straight-legged walk and coming downstairs sideways) but I'm much better today. I didn't have any problems really - just a headache on tues which might have been dehydration. Oh and I was starving all day! Other than that I've just been sleeping even more than usual. I'm starting to get very itchy feet but I'm not planning to run until sat morning and then I'll just do a few miles nice and easy.

C75 - I hope some of the advice you got on here helps. For at least about 6 months last year I spent every training session trying not to cry because I was so miserable about my running. I seriously considered giving up (funnily enough, like Rodney, a large part of my motivation to keep going was not wanting to put on weight!) but I'm so glad now that I didn't. I really think doing something different was the key. I did the Seven Sevens because I knew my slowness wouldn't matter so much there and, in a year when all I set was personal worsts, that's something I can be really proud of. The other thing that really helped me was coaching my beginners - seeing them progress and the pleasure they get out of running was a huge inspiration. I'm not suggesting you set up a beginners running group but maybe running with other people would help your motivation.

• Options

C75 - Good to see you down at the track tonight,

10x400's tonight, 3more 400 sessions before steeley so hopefully push that up to 15/16reps. Going to 

get a few runs in with Conor Magill mid week so that should bring me on a bit.

• Options

Ferdy - recovery from marathons gets easier, I promise. I only really suffered the whole "downstairs backwards" thing after my first two. Apart from the cumulative effect of the training, I think the main thing is management/recovery afterwards. The worst thing to do is collapse and lie/sit still for the rest of the day atfer the race. I make a point of keeping walking around now (even if it's just around a pub). There you go - a handy tip for your next one image.

• Options

just under 5miles tempo this morning, was only meant to be taking it easy. Planning the 5mile winter 

series tomorrow morning outside Omagh

• Options
    Mags - nice to bump into you at Surf Mountain. Still find meeting forumites a bit weird, I come over all shy and reserved which is not normally the case image I've emailed you the links also.

Anyhows - some great night trail races coming up. I've opted for 2 - Tollymore 25th November and Stormont on 20th Jan.
  • Options

Yeah, good seeing you last night Alan.  That’s a great group that’s forming at the track. Real quality. Just wait until the XC is over. That place will be buzzing.  

Needless to say, that wee visit last night (by the way, I was watching with my little girl, not training)….has, I think, awoken the mojo. I’ll get out tomorrow and Sunday for some gentle/no watch running and ease myself back into it.  

Still going to give the XC a miss and concentrate on what I want to do, when I want to do it.  Also, took a rather radical step (for me) last night. Hoping it will pay dividends next year. I’m sure it will.  

Thanks again for all the advice – you’re a wise old bunch really.

Some interesting stories and it’s reassuring to see we all suffer with motivation sometimes.. 

Anyway, have a good weekend – I’m going to enjoy a few pints tonight – before TG turns up and spoils it all.   image

C75

ps - Ferdy - feel for you with the Masters selection. That's pretty annoying alright.

• Options

Good man C75. I won't bite to your pints commentimage

Good tempo last night. 3.7 miles round pretty hilly terrain and getting near the 6 minute miles so happy enough. I think I have firmly moved from back of pack too which was firmly where I was after a while out...

Easy 4 mile today and a long run tomorrow morning and that will do me for the week.  Hope to get 12 or 13 miles in tomorrow.

Good luck to anyone racing(not sure how much is on mind) or running over weekend.

Park run starts saturday week so gentle reminder for you guys... If you wish to do the first one you need to register before 6 o'clock next Friday.

• Options

Thats good news C75 enjoy the rugby and your training.

Just over 5 mile last night. Confined to the town for the nest few months as the evening are gone and the time changes this weekend. We managed to get round dry last night but it was very windy and tough going when running into the head wind.

• Options
    TG - I sorted my bar code last week, got it laminated and put onto a keyring and car keys. Are they every week or every other week?

• Options

Website says the PARK RUNS are every week Alan - that's a good idea about the bar code.

Matt was saying about 60 people have already registered on the website for the Belfast race and there is a lot of interest in it.

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/waterworks/home.aspx

Anyone here planning on doing it?

• Options
    Would like to give it a go but a bit far to travel for a 5K. Tied up most Saturdays with kids training anyway. Sounds a good idea I hope it takes off.
  • Options
    I'll defo be running a few. Won't be at the first one as I'm running the Novice xc the next day but want to get one in before Steeley
  • Options

Jim - any truth in the rumour that you're practicing catwalk "twirls and pouts" when the wife's out?

imageimage

Fair play to ya.

Braver man than me.