Options

For me.....

Comments

• Options
    I find I'm ok on days when I run (every other day at the moment) and eat my extra points but maybe the problem is that I stick my points on days when I don't run, and maybe when my body's recovering it needs a bit more? Am on 18 and I guess it's really not that much food is it...

Egg - could be some kind of detox thing I guess but it's only been the last week or so.
  • Options
    Hi there,
    I have changed over to nocount as I am sure, I had gone into starvation mode, as I was earning in excess of 28 b-p per week ,so would hate to guess what longer distance runs like your doing work out cal wise!
    I am finding it very good as you eat until your just comfie which is very good when your nearing goal, and to get back into sensible eating rather than all food is points ie 3 1/2 points for crunchie or 3 1/2 for chicken breast a boiled pots you know which one is better for you lol!
    with this no count your only allowed 3 points per day for processed foods ie sauces, oils, sweeties and I must say I have started to lose weight which I had not done for a little while as exercise and b-ps eat, dont eat, what do you do when you are starving! and fruit and veg can be eaten all the time on nocount which was a good thing.

How has the weight loss been going b4 is this maybe just water retension after running so hard at the weekend??

• Options
    Does anyone know roughly how many calories equal one point?
  • Options
    LB - I think it's about 50....which could explain why I've been feeling a bit dodgy!

scrummy - nocount sounds good although I tend to overeat when I bored so I'd have to watch that. COmpletely agree with you re crunchie versus healthy stuff - I am getting a lot better at eating what I know will fill me up as opposed to what's going to taste good that second!
  • Options
    Debbs this is the first "stayed the same" - I am convinced it's to do with the run and the amount I ate Sunday - I think something goes off in your body with that type of exercise that means you are "pumped up" for a while.. mabey a few days - not sure what but I think there's something...am pretty sure that it's down to the run

Ref the bonus points I earn about 50-60 a week..that's what I mean by them not getting it. Most leaders deal with people who're doing a couple of gym classes not running 3-4 times a week so they cant give you any sound advice. I get irritated by it but that's life! They are dealing mostly with 2-3 weekers who snear at the thought of exercise!

On a good note I decided to phone the boob clinic yesterday - PHEW!! I am still on the list - have made an appt for Sept so I have to be at goal by then...it's my new challenge...I've set a personal goal achived date of 11 July - but as this appt's in Sept I have no excuse not to have achived it have I

• Options
    Congrats egglett on the half and picking up the phone! You're greeting a lot of milestones these days!

LB, i think 1 pt = 70cals if there's less than 1g saturated fat...the rough pts formula is

(calories/70) + (sat fat/4) = pts

egglett i stayed the same this week too, must be something in the air! and i ate like an angel all weekend but then i didn't get outta that bed - and i can tell you i wasn't exercising in the bed either o:)

tis a beaut evening here so gonna head off for a run now, see how my legs are after a week off, oh the joys...

• Options
    LB - I think it's 100 cals... based on an apple being 1/2 and an apple is 50 cals..I think!

So when's your next run? Is it another 10k or a half?

I'm booked into May's Manchester 10k...I'm really going to enjoy that now. Then I'm going to do that half in June and then I think I'll book up at least one more half before the years out....who knows what next year holds!
  • Options
    I have always done bonus points on time or 100 cals so, 10 mins c-v is one bonus point or 100 cals so a 40 min run not totally flat out 4 bonus points approx!
    I know that there is not a true cal v bonus points but its a rough idea for me and re no count if I am hungry fruit is free so i snack or graze on that!!

I have 1 1/2 lbs to goal but would dearly love to be alot smaller I am happy with a size 14 esp after being a size 20 on a good day!
  • Options
    sorry just read that properly points not bonus points!
  • Options
    Egg - next one is a half here on Mar 20th and then I'm going to do another 3 10ks and another half in July. Want to try and get something in the diary each month to keep me training as I have a tendency to stop or get bored with it.

If you fancy a half September/October time find one about half way between us and not too hilly and I'll come and do it with you. I'm about the same pace as you and by that time we should be a stone or so lighter so will be easier.

Scrummy 20 to 14 is briiliant. I'm now 12/14 depending on where I buy from but would prefer to be 10/12 - then I'd have so much more choice in my wardrobe.
  • Options
    Scrummy - 20 to a 14 - mega! Bet you feel very very different... we're behind you on that last 1.5lb - go get it!

Legal - I'd be up for that indeed...I've got a 10k in May and then the half in June, I'd like to start doing a few races because they are good for your confidence, make a change to a boring sunday and it's nice to run different routes...so yeah - let's start looking

Had a good session at the gym last night - 15mins rowing, 11 mins sprinting on x-trainer and spin... felt fine. Was quite tierd when I got in but body wise no problems at all.. very pleased about that.

Resting tonight - 1st run tomorrow - will just go out and see what happens...I think you take more out of yourself than you realise on these runs.

Have got over the staying the same result. Just plodding on. It was probably a good week for it to happen. I am desperate to loose this weight but I've got to be sinsible and I also want to learn to eat better and change habbits - so I am pleased with how I'm ignoring the disapointment

It's key really because in the past these are the weeks that I binge and think myself stupid and useless cos I cant loose weight
  • Options
    Instead of feeling stupid and useless I feel fantastic and totally useful!

I keep reminding myself that I have lost 1stone already and that my jeans are baggy and that my face is slimmer...I can finally get back into my trendy clothes so that's briliant isnt it

And that's with a stone and a half to go!
  • Options
    Hi ya all.
    well its snow all the way here again today!! no chance of getting outside again!
    Thanks everyone for kind words regard my weight loss does a girl good you know! well done egglett keep the good work up imagine how scrummy you will be when you have finished! even though I have 1 1/2lbs to go, I will try for more but at least then the pressure is off a bit and I dont have to pay anymore!!

Egglett thats, some heck of a lot of bonus points!! makes my few look pretty silly but I am working on it each week and its getting easier to breath and run if that makes any sense at all, although I do seem to get hotter under the collar! I am sure by the summer I will be getting some longer runs in, just slowly increasing at the mo, do you ladies think thats the right way to go?
    I am going out for run-jog 3 times a week mon,wed,fri for about 40 mins increasing it by 5 mins if i am able each time, then a longer trot on sundays about 1 hour 20 mins, I am trying to increase speed but it just isnt happening at the mo, any advice??
    I do try and get in the gym once a week or swimming with kiddies more playing at lengths with kiddies on a sunday its quite nice if I have been out in the morning running. I have discounted membership to the local gym as I work for the NHS.
    How long has it taken everyone to get up to the distances that you girls like running? and do you think it has helped your weight loss at all?
    god so many questions what am I like! sorry well nosey of me, just that I am on my own regarding running, I have thought about joining the local running club but was going to give it a month to see if I get a bit more fitter before I join so I dont look like the fat one bringing up the rear so to speak!
    have a good day
    Debbs
  • Options
    Scrummy
    Just build up slow, dont be in too much of a hurry. It's taken me 5 years to get here, I started with 1 mile runs then 2 miles and then a max of 3 which I stuck at for at least 3 years

I only got into longer stuff because I did a race for life, after which I sort of got the bug. The next year I did my first 10k and then I started to really enjoy running and found this site - plus my sis did the FLM.. so you go - hmm I wonder?!

This year though I have got myself a training guru (on here) and trained and eaten much much better

Ref weight loss - not a scrap of difference until this year but that's much more to do with sorting out my diet and giving up drink than the running...

I'm still not convinced that if your on 22 points you need to eat any bonus one's - or is that just my body??!!

Slowly build up - book events and dont go too mad too quick
  • Options
    Speed wise, I started adding sprints to my small run (3 miles) - I run out for 1.5miles before I start sprinting - just sprint from lampost to lampost - it's made a big difference to my general speed....but so has what I do in the gym.

Sprints seem to help give you some extra Ooomph when you need it
  • Options
    Scrummy - body wise it's been excellent for my legs and cellulite - I have hardly any - my friends want to kill me in the summer...oh and no arse
  • Options
    All sounds great!!
    I am going to stick with slowly, slowly, the last thing I want to do is get hurt or ending up trying too hard!
    I cant wait for the toned butt and legs bring it on! I have never been a drinker as such but I know when I had a few over christmas the weight went on pretty quickly

I am going to do the race for life in May as thats sounds quite a gentle one to go for and I can manage 5k and a bit more ok! I only started running to get a few bonus points at the gym but I am really enjoying it and I guess I have been bitten by the bug, I guess the main thing is if I am enjoying it and working on it not to worry about too much else!
    thanks for the advice
    Debbs
  • Options
    Scrummy - go for that race - it's how I started. Once you get your first medal you'll be hooked.... it feels magic running over a finish line - no matter what the distance!

• Options
    I once tried to follow weight watchers. I should be on the 18 points group. But 18 points is really nothing. Even if you eat only healthy stuff. My problem is with carbs. When eating normally (and thus not gaining because of exams) I stay the same weight, but it's much more then 18 points a day (because of cars, not because of cookies/fast food or sweets).

I bike to uni every day. I walk a lot. I bike to the shops, to my spanish class, everywhere. This can take up an hour a day and if you then plod several times a week and then walk for about half an hour a day, I'm just to active to follow the most common diets.

I have a good idea of how much I eat daily and I just try to cut out some kcals by choosing healthier options (water instead of orange juice, banana instead of a cookie etc...).
  • Options
    Ariana - that sounds sensible to me! I'm lucky and am on 22...been discussing the whole thing with my friend wo's back off hols last night. We agree that you need to listen to your body and just find what works...sounds like your doing just that

I'm going to be watching and learning the next few weeks, see what happens on the scales Monday. If I've lost then I change nothng because even with the high bonus points I still feel fine on 20-22 points. If I stay the same then mabey I need to eat more?

Will have to start experimenting if that happens...eeek!!

• Options
    Girl upstairs lost 5lb this week - first week.. she's now only got 9lb to go - they shouldnt be allowed in!!!

LOL

Used to tease my mate for that - she's got about 11lb to go and I used to say that she'd get beat up in the car park after the meeting if she wasnt careful the skinny bint!!LOL

I wish I had 9 to go!

I'm focussing on the next half I achieve being half a stone (7lb not 13 miles!!)
  • Options
    Just brought me sen a mega t-shirt - says "super star" - hee hee - well I think I deserve that after Sunday!
  • Options
    doh now i've that song going round in my head

"you're a superstar that is what you are!"...

except that's the only line i know o:)

cold gone now so back plodding, not too painful despite the week off. have 3 nights out this wkend though, starting tonight with a work pizza night. do you need to anti-social to diet????

hungry all day today too for some reason, why does that happen on the day you need to spare some for later? it's not fair.

• Options
    anyone know points for porridge, a big bowl (overflowing even) made with water & a tsp of sesame seeds added?

silly question previously about dieting & being anti-social cos i'm not dieting, this is a way of life right?!
  • Options
    1.5 points for a heaped tablespoon of porridge if that helps!!!
  • Options
    Glad your back at the plod... I think this is prime cold weather - I'm fighting it off only just this week - keeps creeping up on me. I'm going out tonight and hoping it'll blow away the cold germs.. I hate getting colds - it naffs you off big style

Ref the eating out - HUGE salad with a slice or two of pizza isnt too bad eh?

I think it's about just opening your mind to accept you want to achieve something... that way what you choose to eat (more salad than pizza) makes you feel good about the choices you make rather than eating more pizza than salad and bringing guilt back into the ball game

They have done the birthday sweets and crips's thing upstairs in accounts today - I thought "why do they do that?". I got offered stuff but I used the "no thanks I dont eat chocolate" confirmation that get's me out of the situation...

• Options
    ref the "your a superstar" that's the line I've got going round in my head!!

Want to try it on with my size 12 cords that I brought last year and have only squeezed into once before... if they fit I'm wearing them with pride at the weekend with me super star t-shirt!

Am looking forwards to the weekend - am off to see My Sis. She lives in York. I think it'll be a bit of girly shopping and then a few beers (for her - sparkle W for me) and then home for home made pointed curry.... well made at home from a jar anyhow!

talking of which does anyone else absolutley love the beef tonight advert!?
  • Options
    thanks egglett, is that 1.5 per tablespoon after it's made up or just oats? Sounds like a lot if it's made-up.

Ya, salad & a taster slice of pizza is a good plan. just need to remember my goals.

• Options
    Is pre-made! I have 3 heaped tablespoons and count it as 4.5 points

You go for it wit the taster slice and loads of salad....remember the size 12 gang!
  • Options
    yikes...i'll be looking for new brekkie idea's me thinks, i'd say i have a good 5/6heaped spoons! hmmm, fruit + yogurt perhaps...