Options

London

124»

Comments

• Options
    yes, i am partial to a sly waggledance from time to time.
  • Options
    Ya see, if London didn't exist, neither would Youngs Brewery. Thank your lucky stars.
  • Options
    I lived in London (East Ham, Notting Hill and Chiswick) for about 14 years. I loved it when I was single and loved it when we first got married. Our first place together was in Notting Hill before the film turned it into Starbucks hell.

The problems living in London came when we had children and more so when they became school age. Finding a decent state school is difficult so private schools appear to be the way to go. We ended up with two children in private education, with our daughter having to do a 30 min+ each way school run everyday in queuing traffic.

West London is just a nightmare for traffic especially school runners in 4wd. My son went to a private school round the corner, and apart from being populated by "toffs", taking him to school was a dice with death from mothers driving Range Rovers and Porsche Cayenne's.

Yes we earned a lot of money between us, but school fees kept rising and the next house size up would have cost us about a million quid.

Anyway, we sold our pokey terraced house in Chiswick last year, converted it to Canadian dollars and did a bunk.

The opportunities for kids here are much better, more space, cleaner air, safer environment and the other children more pleasant, less aggresive and well mannered.

I'm very glad I've lived in London, it's a great place if you're single or have no kids. But with kids it became a nightmare.

I don't think we "tired of life", we just got tired of the grind.

I miss Richmond Park for running though.

Perhaps we'll move back when the kids have left home, London house prices have crashed and the pound/dollar rate has gone the other way ;))))))))))
  • Options
    Oooh I wouldn't say they've crashed exactly. They look horrendous from where I'm sitting.
    Perhaps they've ground to a shuddering halt. For the time being. Until the next boom.
  • Options
    Id - well if you drank it in the Chandos there's no wonder you feel that way about it. Go down the road to the Lyceum on the Strand and it's usually much better but then again it could be you just don't like it which is the beauty of proper beer, Some ya like and some you don't. That said the Chandos is no place to taste Sam Smiths for the first time. Place is far too smoky in any case.
  • Options
    My statement regarding the "house price crash", was suffixed with those smiley things so was a joke.

Speaking to our ex-neighbours they say that prices have gone down 10-15% since we sold, which on a house in Chiswick is a fair amount of cash.

Still can't believe somebody paid what they did for our old house, but I guess that's what the people we bought off in 1996 said.

Right now with the a 10% drop in London, the house price rise here and the weakening pound we could move back and buy a bigger house.

But you're right, I guess there'll be another boom fuelled by over-borrowing sometime in the future.
  • Options
    It was actually Samuel Johnson (1709-1784) who said "No, Sir, whe a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."

Then again, he wrote that in 1777 and London has probably changed a little bit since then.
  • Options
    whe = when. Darn, I look a lot less erudite when I do stoopid typos
  • Options
    Black Sheep.
    Old Peculiar.
    Timothy Taylor Landlord.
    Old Speckled Hen.
    Marstons Pedigree...mmmmmmmmmmm!!!
  • Options
    Fuller's ESB - A king of beers
    Youngs Winter's Warmer - and it does

• Options
    Waggledance
    Tanglefoot
    Black Sheep
    Yum!

And bought a bottle of something called Fursty Ferret the other day!
  • Options
    Austrian Santa Clause beer 14% ABV, strongest bottled beer in the world, apparently. Not tried it meself though!!
  • Options
    I've suddenly got the urge to go to my local Tap and Spile for a "tasting" of the ales on offer!!