Options

Asics Blackpool Marathon

has anyone registered for this?

Can anyone recommend a good guest house in Blackpool?

Comments

• Options
    Hi Peter, I haven't entered yet but I intend to. I drive over on the day from Manchester so I don't know about accomodation I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Hi,

I'm in for this one-not done it before.

Don't know about guest-houses, was thinking of just staying at the Hilton for ease.
  • Options
    Hey!
    I'm hoping to run this the half marathon with my sister- i've just requested a couple of entry forms. I'm not sure about the best guest houses as we'll be travelling in from locally.
  • Options
    be worth booking early at the Hilton then frisp.
  • Options
    I'm already in for the half marathon - not up to a full one yet.

jackie, did you know you can enter online at the blackpool marathon website?

I'm looking for somewhere cheaper than the Hilton as I will have to take the wife with me!
  • Options
    Good idea, I'm paying for my sister as well so it makes more sense to use paypal. thanks
  • Options
    I have enterd due to not getting into london marathon AGAIN, there are loads of guest houses it is Blackpool the home of guest houses, i wouldnt worry you will find one the day before. Hows everyones training going how many miles are we all putting in, in this shite weather. mmm
  • Options
    I'm planning to run this, not registered yet though was going to see how I go for the NW half marathon before commiting to it. I'm local so accomodation isnt an issue. If I was paying Hilton prices though I would recomment the Devere Hotel, much nicer.

Currently building up milage again after a rather slow last few months due to a new baby. Run about 35 miles so far this week alot of it on a tredmill though.
  • Options
    Well, I've bitten the bullet and booked at Strathdon guest house for the Saturday and Sunday nights - seems like a reasonable place and quite a good price. I don't know exactly where inBlackppol it is, but I've been assured that it's not too far away from the start.
  • Options
    Blackpool or Edinburgh maras - any advice?
  • Options
    Duck Girl.

Blackpool is very very flat and generally hot (though last years started a deluge). Good organisation but I think they could use a few more marshalls especially on the Golden Mile where you can be dodging puking stag and hen does. A very "straight" race with some long straights (the one out to Lytham must be 4-5 miles alone) that can mess with your head. Enjoyable though and as easy as a marathon is likely to be so long as the day isnt too hot.

Never done Edinburgh
  • Options
    Duck Girl, just on entry fee alone it has to be Blackpool.
    They're not on the same date though....you could do both?
  • Options
    carefully considering/ pondering dreaming of this marathon
    i did Lake Vyrnwy Last year (-as had to pull out of London the Friday before the race with a cold pah)

so if i can be persuaded - then Blackpool could be the one for me
    especially if there are a few forumites to help get me a pb of under 4:20
    -ran with Buckley runners tonight for 2nd time - 7.5 miles
    -need motivation for longer , ?? Wrexham 1/2m in Feb ?
  • Options

Tim,
    Are you doing this one ?
    Some company for me then :)
    Are you up for 2:59:59 ??

Duck Girl,
    I did Edinburgh last year, great atmosphere but the relay event made it hard work for us marathoners, also this year will be a new course (predicted to be even faster) and also £10 more expensive than last year :(
    I did the Blackpool Half mara in 2003 and it was Hot !!! i really felt for those people doing the full 26.2 that day (it was the first time i've been dehydrated in a half marathon too)

You could do as Tim suggests and do them both, i did Lake Vyrnwy, Edinburgh, and Potteries (Stoke) last year in consecutive weeks, the running was easy... the travelling was tough !
  • Options
    Am doing 55m in one go in a few weeks, so could run it (maybe) - but i'm a student & 2 weekends off so close to end-of-term exams not so good. Would love to though :S
  • Options
    Hi Ant, changed your picture again? I am doing this one but not 2'59!!!
    I did the 2003 race, did the first half in 1'45 and walked from 20 to 25 miles!!
    Er, Duck Girl, the 55 miles sounds familiar. Overnight "walk" by any chance? If so I did it 1999 and finished first, but then I cheated by running!
  • Options
    Tim,
    How can running be classed as cheating !!!
    Yep, changed me pic again but its the same person though, (either that or i woke up with 2 lumps attached to my chest this morning), .
    Yep, i can remember you on the Blackpool mara 2003 forum Tim, it was horrendously hot that day, thanks though to some people who came out on the streets armed with hose pipes !

Wish i was a student, lots of time to train... and no worries :)
  • Options
    Thames Meander - start at 9am, but I reckon will finish midnight-ish, so a fair bit will be in the dark. Am hoping to run at least bits, though it's my 1st ultra.
    Time to train? No worries?
    *hollow laugh*
    Did Edinburgh last yr & was hot there too. I don't like summer.
  • Options
    Well, best of luck for that one Duck Girl, I know you'll enjoy it.
  • Options
    Hi, I ran Blackpool last year and it was brilliant. I stayed at a Hotel called the Elphinor which to be kind was basic. However it was two minutes to the start and finish line, the proprietors were friendly and the room and hotel were clean. The price was cheap. Blackpool course in itself was made for a personal best (I knocked 14 minutes off a ten year old previous pb) and I would recommend the race to anyone. Paul.
  • Options
    have signed up for my 4th blackpool marathon
    and will be staying at pontins the same as last year.
    flat race and can be very windy but enjoyable.
    regards
    ken
  • Options

Does anyone know what energy drinks that will be used yet? The website states "unconfirmed". What has been used in the previous years?
  • Options
    previous years has used hi 5 gels and drinks, excellent marathon well organised full and half, people that are asking for cheap accom, Der!! IT'S BLACKPOOL!! shop about on the tinternet and you can find b+b for £15pppn. us poor yorkshire folk have to to travel (hate to say it) over the border for a road marathon since nobody in yorkshire is prepared to put on a marathon bar the offroad yorkshireman, see you all there, even mrs yorkshire runningman will be there for her first full marathon!
  • Options
    See you both there then
  • Options
    Sausage 57. There seemed to be a bit of a problem with this last year, and I didn't see any energy drinks on any of the drinks stations in the full marathon (fortunatey I'd carried some Lucozade Sport around with me for 20 miles). This may just have been me - the make advertised was High5.
  • Options
    I remember some problems with drinks and gels too year before last (when it was hot which really didn't help) but they did promise it would improve, don't know about last year, wasn't there!!
    Definitely High 5 at the finish.
  • Options
    Liked the ham sandwiches at the finish last year. Despite the drinks thing I enjoyed it and intend to do it again this year.
  • Options

so its a case of carry your own, to be on the safe side? maybe a few gel packets to mix with water.
  • Options
    I carried a few gels around, and started with my own bottle as well.
  • Options
    Hi All,
    I've entered for this too! (london reject, so hoping for 3 hrs to get a gfa place for next year!) I've got some friends nearby, so i should be able to stay with them.
    How's everyone's training going? I'm going to do the half marathon at Silverstone in a few weeks and then start uppng the mileage from there i think!

Did you find that there were plenty of people to run with all the way round, or is it quite sparce on numbers? - I've only ever run London, london half and the great north run before, and there are plenty of people there!!