Options

NT Snowdonia Marathon 2005

Comments

• Options
    Hi Happyslug

I grew up on the Quantocks and revisit the area quite a lot from near Chester, as I still have family there - did the Tough Ten Challenge in WSM last month. I was hoping to do the Taunton Marathon next month, but it clashes with our Easter break - will be there next year if I survive Snowdonia! Doing the Seahorse 10K in Bampton in August.
  • Options
    Happyslug and Lulubelle - I come from that part of the world too, near Honiton! What a co-incidence! I did the Stoke 10K on Boxing Day which was a great race. I live in London now but try to pop down there now and again.
  • Options
    Well as we are on the subject, I grew up in Lyme Regis and often spent Saturdays in Taunton or Exeter.

I usually go back to Devon for the Grizzly, but not this year.
  • Options
    Small world eh? My husband's from Taunton as well and we left the area in 1990 to spend the next 12 years in Aberdeen, but we seem to be migrating back Southwards!
  • Options
    Ran the Trimpell pre London 20 on Sunday (I didn't tell them that I wasnt running there though Ssch!)

Top race but as it is a 'out and back' you get to see all the people in front of you. Still quite a few looked to be working just as hard as me. Looking forward to ramping down for Paris in two weeks time.

As I live up north I think I might cheat a bit and run my last long run before Snowdonia around the course - I cant think of any better way of getting my legs used to the last downhill bit.
  • Options
    I am considering doing this event dont know whether its bad idea. It would be my first marathon. I have done 4 halfs (Liverpool recently 1 hr 46 min), i also do triathlons.
    Does anyone have any advice whether to do this or not. Would the training be different to other marathons ie. incorporate more hiils. Any advice would be great.

• Options
    Will be my first marathon too; I've done 3 halfs, all chosen for flatness!!

Go-on, you know you want to!!
  • Options
    will i need to train on big hills? What should i look for on longest training run to get me round?
  • Options
    Funkster,

I ran this as my first last marathon and my times for the 1/2 at that stage were about 1:50 on the flat.

As previously posted I was beaten by the hills at the end (up at 21M then STEEPLY down to the finish) and ended up with a time of 4:42. I was very disappointed about this at the time but in retrospect I am glad to have done the Snowdonia rather than anything else. It is a great race and still a good conversation piece down the pub!

The final choice really depends on you and is probably a toss up between how much you value the time you do or the challenge of the course. I am running Paris in two weeks and will probably do 3:40 this doesn’t excite me half as much as returning to Snowdonia, where I might be lucky to get under four hours and totter in with the hardened old men of the Marathon scene!

Last year in training I did hilly halfs such as Congleton (which was the same day as the Liverpool 10-13 or whatever they called it) and Ashbourne and ran 2:00 and 1:56 for these. I think that these helped in the early stages. As previously posted I am going to cheat a bit this year and run one of my 20milers on the course.

Though nothing much could have prepared me for the end I do think that I would have been better mentally if I had driven the course the day before.
  • Options
    Funkster - I set up a thread on training for hard marathons a while ago and i got soem useful advice. I'll boing it for you.
  • Options
    It's on the training thread.
  • Options
    I drove round the course, and it certainly put it in perspective; and even though I'm Snowdonia born and bred I had a more scary picture in my mind.... the only bit that bothers me now is the bit I didn't drive, the last 6 miles or so, D o JN, from what you say it's long up and sharp down?

Take the (not to be disrespected) hills out, and your left with a pleasant (??) undulating course!! (positive imaging no??)
    I'm sure it's important not to forget how hard downhill can be!!

I told my little sister my plans and her comment was
    "are you mad?? snowdon is a nasty little mountain, and how can you train in Somerset??" but when I pointed out its ROUND not up it, she didn't sound so dissaproving: she's done the 3 Peaks many years ago,following a drunken bet in a pub in Llanrwst, so who's she to judge??!!
  • Options
    I wouldnt say "long up" - it only feels like it.

According to my entry form the hill at 21M
    is 700ft in 2.5 miles (the steepest climb on the course though not the longest). Then from 24ish it is 900ft descent in 2miles and partially off-road(the steepest descent on the course).

• Options
    Just marking the thread...this is my Autumn 'project', I think :o)
  • Options
    i`m gonna have a go,it`ll be my first marathon in 19 years
  • Options
    Bit tough for you innit nancy. Sure your little legs will get you round

Still torn between a repeat visit & having a go at a quick un in Dublin. No rush though is there.

Agree with Dadovjacknella though. A few hilly halves help. I did Langdale last year which is a monster. Jakes - the Sandstone trail 17 miler to delamere is about 3 weeks b4 & ideal prep I think!
  • Options
    cheers nrk,are you gonna join us for this one then.
  • Options
    right, better start running hadn't I !!??
    and up hills if possible..

Look forward to meeting you all though!
  • Options
    Heard too many good things about this one, not to do it this year.

Jakesy, will need to put some hills in our sundays, preparation an all that.
  • Options
    hills,schmills,don`t even notice them anymore

• Options
    does mountains schmountains also apply?
  • Options
    Hark at you Jakesy, hills schmills my ar$e.

will have to think up some more "testing" routes for us. Maybe have a word with Davey about more hill sessions till we move to St Eddies.
  • Options
    oooh nooooooo,Please don`t tell the coach i said that FBS

fells schmells
  • Options
    Ok Jakesy, won't mention it to coach..yet.
    Will keep it on file until I may need to use it. Know what I mean!!

Coachin Schmoachin
  • Options
    sly git.

Okay,I haven`t entered yet cos I`m still psyching myself up to fill in the form.God help me when it comes to the race if I`m having prblems now
  • Options
    uuuuuuuggggghhhhh,suddenly feel sick,I`ve just entered my first marathon in 19 years.

• Options
    Deed done, entered today.

Time to hit those hills jakesy.
  • Options
    I'll be back to do this again this year. Did it last year for the first time....found it harder than I'd expected. I think I went to quickly up the first hill, because was feeling tired by halfway. The last downhill is just horrendous!

At least I'll know what to expect this year! See you all there!
  • Options
    guys, little sweepy here is going to do this on e with yaz , am going to enter online in the week, gives me an aim,

oh FBS when is it the club goes to saint eddies, am really really really really really really really going to do this one, that will impress the folks back home,!! umpa dee dee, oh and are you guys doing the 10k next week,my ex birds dad is coming with me ( bit of a grudge match) he will probarly beat me with it being 7 days after the marathon,

is this one just pure hills or what,