Options

LDWA

I have a free weekend coming up so thought I'd look on the LDWA website to see if there are any local events.
You now have to be a paid up member to view the diary of events.
Looks like they're trying to put people off.
Anybody know an alternative website that might list the events?

Comments

• Options
    Can't you get someone who's a paid up memeber to copy and paste an email to you (or paste to the forum?!!)
  • Options
    MtB
    Dont be a tight fisted bugger - pay up and become a member and then you can copy and paste the events for us all on here ....;0)
  • Options
    I don't understand why they wouldn't publish events for free.
    The FRA seem to be doing the same.
  • Options
    I dont care any more,now I have a copy of Shades's all knowing book of events, which includes all the LDWA events that matter :-)
  • Options
    we had a related discussion at the tri club agm last night.. it doesnt make sense not to list them publically unless they're confident they have enough members to make the events feasible to run on their own.

most events i would have thought are only feasible with the support & subsidy of non-members.

there's always thje coventry way matt... the record is yours for the taking.
  • Options
    I'll try my best to be at the Cov Way this year Ed, think I was injured last year.
    Will have a look in Powerseller Shades' directory tonight.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I use the LDWA website to source events for the directory but I'm no longer a member.

• Options
    I'm a member of the TRA which list alot of the LDWA events in their handbook. Seems a bit short sighted of the LDWA to not have them free for public information on their web site though. I know for a fact that our running club were solely responsible for one event taking place last year as there were insufficient numbers of walkers entered so we drummed up support and had a great time...despite getting lost :-)
  • Options
    i'm intrigued, what does LDWA stand for? the best i can come up with is Lon Distance Wa*kers Association.

does it involve hitting a specific target, or is it simply that whoever gets the farthest wins?
  • Options
    Insert an l for the n :-)

Actually they are great events - off road, great scenery and invariably lovely food too....just as long as you don't mind getting lost and adding a few miles - think we runners are a bit too impatient to read the route description thoroughly enough before setting off again :-)
  • Options
    eh? it was an L... i meant that whoever walks the farthest wins. i don't know, some people have very dirty minds
  • Options
    They're good events and I'd recommend them. I think some of the members aren't too enthused by runners doing them as they see it as a bit of an invasion and we upset the timings of checkpoints etc. The racing ethos doesn't fit 100% with the walkers.

It's not completely unreasonable. If I'm marshalling a running race I wouldn't fancy having to wait out for an extra hour for people walking the course.
  • Options
    usually the times they allocate checkpoints open & closed will tell you how keen they are on having runners.
  • Options
    In my experience each event advises if runners are welcome...of course that doesn't mean all the walkers taking part are that welcoming!! Generally they are though and they sure set a quick pace over 25 miles of countryside!!

Dirty mind - moi???
  • Options
    And if youset off last yit probably won't effect the CPs anyway. Especially, as previously mentioned, us runners don't look at the directions properly and end up doing extra miles.
  • Options
    Matt I'm doing Belvoir Castle near Melton Mowbray

www.belvoirchallenge.fsnet.co.uk

Well waymarked so hard to get lost 26 or 15 miles -lots of runners and mud! Think you would need to contact ASAP I have a feeling the 15 mile option may be full but a great event

or one near Chruch Stretton 25 miles I have the details of all of them drop me an email if you want
  • Options
    try www.100marathonclub.org.uk . Bigsy lists all events there with links.

• Options
    Matt, just had a rejected yahoo e-mail with your name on it?
    Norton wouldn't let it through.
  • Options
    Andrew-Ummm, sorry, didn't send anything. Thanks for letting me know, think computer may have a virus.

RM-Are they this weekend?

Rory-Thanks, off to have a look now.
  • Options
    Only costs £10 a year to join the LDWA and you get your money back by paying less to enter events. Seeing as the events are much cheaper than running events anyway, it's a complete bargain, so why not pay? Also, most walks are encouraging runners these days - you're expected to start a bit later so as not to hit the checkpoints too early.

LDWA AGM is being held in a couple of weeks and they are planning to discuss whether details of events should be available to non-members. At the moment, I think you can see two weeks ahead if you're not a member. You could find out more info by looking at the local LDWA groups (links on website) and checking out their "national" or "challenge" walks.
  • Options
    Pigmy & Fellrunner - spot on. Example - the Caerphilly Summits, 2nd July - 31 (or 21, or 11) miles of delightful running/walking in gorgeous South Wales countryside, just off the M4 north of Cardiff; refreshments at the start, during & at the finish; friendly welcome, all for a fiver! The event is listed on this Website and www.ldwa.org.uk/South Wales.
  • Options
    Totally agree, some of my most memorable events have been LDWA. Only complaint is that when I did That's Lyth a few weeks ago at one of the checkpoints the doughnut fillings had been mixed up so you couldn't tell if you were getting toffee, custard or jam filling. I plan to raise this at the AGM as the disappointment of missing out on my favourite filling completely ruined the experience of running in sunshine above inverted cloud in the Lyth valley.
  • Options
    But if events are not listed for free then there is less chance of attracting new people to the events.
    I agree £10 is not much for a whole year, and LDWA events are great, but that's not the issue.
    They must not want to attract any more people to their events, it's the only reason I can think of. Unless they're just getting greedy and think this will 'force' people to give them money.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    A lot of their events are over subscribed and a lot of the walkers don't like runners taking part, some events will state that. But many of the events do welcome runners.

I can understand that they have restricted access to their event listing. If the RRC directory was on line I would not be happy about peeps using it when they are not members of the RRC or TRA
  • Options
    Another reason is to stop spammers using the email addresses which are provided with the events listing - in fact that may encourage them to make the whole thing members only.

I think the idea is that we always welcome newcomers but that if you start coming regularly (perhaps three times a year) then you should pay up and support the organisation that makes these events happen. Unlike running events, walking events aren't usually trying to make a profit and lots of people volunteer to run checkpoints etc. It's the least we can do to pay our £10 each year.
  • Options
    MtB,

Individual LDWA events are very good value and are not run for profit. The only way the organisation can support itself is for people to join rather than just free-load. As it only costs a tenner to join I cant see what the fuss is about.