Options

Very lightweight trainer suggestions

Comments

• Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Biff: Its all relative. To my kids I'm a sporting hero. To some of the peeps on this board, I'm mediocre.
  • Options
    (Feeling guilty now in case I've ever given the impression I'm a card-carrying poser!)

I found the whole Pose discussion thread very useful and, when starting to run midfoot, tried to follow various bits of advice (e.g. consciously thinking about leaning, lifting with hamstrings etc). After the first couple of runs I settled into my own style, which may or may not incorporate any of the Pose elements. My only conscious thought now when I feel my form going is 'bouncy bouncy trampoline' (© nrg-b, 2005).
  • Options
    Development of running tracks:

A key point is that they are designed for ‘all weather’. That little bit of softness allows spikes to dig in and provide grip. I’m not sure its necessary for ‘protection.’

Puma H-Streets:

One of Pumas current distance spike designs, but with a few mm of firm EVA and a rubber outsole instead of the spike plate. I think running in these on road is much like running in spikes on track.

Protection from shoes:

“If we didn't need protecting from the road WE WOULDN'T WEAR SHOES.”
    Our bodies are very adaptable. If we didn’t wear shoes we wouldn’t need the protection.

Running shoes increase motion problems compared to barefoot running (e.g. more pronation etc.) so whilst they may reduce overall force magnitudes (which is also debatable due to adaptations in technique), the forces in ‘anatomically problematic’ directions may be increased.

The development of more ‘advanced’ running shoes has not been associated with decreased injury rates in runners.

The present crop of GB experts:

Whilst they have some valuable knowledge and experience, I don’t think they are getting everything right (otherwise we’d be producing more top runners). The Ethiopians work a great deal on speed / form and are the top nation at the moment. We don’t work on form and are pretty poor with just a few exceptions.
  • Options
    Alex S - Great post! Thanks for all your contributions.

NRG-B - You are a hero to me! :-D

I can safely say after last nights treadmill run that I am a LONG way from being a Pose runner. My heel lift is appalling! Something to work on...
  • Options
    Running tracks - my rudimentary understanding is that some 'bouncy' tracks have been designed to help fast sprint times, while harder tracks help the distance runners. Not sure if this is correct, and not sure if the research was done with barefoot runners - this seems unlikely.

I confess my interest is in speed over the distance - I'm confident I could run a marathon either barefoot or in Nike Air Fatboys no trouble if I took it slow. I want to find the fastest way (for me).

Injury prevention is about using your head - shoes and technique are just 2 of a huge number of factors in this.

(err, yes I am injured at the moment)

H-streets - great for club night as you can wear them to run and then wear them straight to the pub - no need for two pairs of shoes!

• Options
    BTW, Happy Anniversary, Mr and Mrs NRG-B!!
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Awww!!!....cheers, Pants and SVT.

Bon Anniversaire to the Pantman Clan too!
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Pantman: Trying to follow pose guidelines on a treadmill is quite hard. I just don't seem to get the same "fall" sensation then on the road. I think its to do with how the belt pulls the supporting foot away???
  • Options
    yes, surely the flicking that the hamstrings have to do isn't as necessary on a treadmill?!
  • Options
    nrg-b - had to check back to see what the 'cheers' was for! Happy anniversary (and to anyone else who's celebrating anything).

I had a quick panic before realising there are more than three months until our anniversary, and the next day of note is Father's Day. Must leave some subtle reminders around the house...

Whoops - going off-topic there. To bring it back on track, I'm running in Nike Jarowe Waffles today. I've decided they're not my favourite minimalist shoes due to them coming up a little small in a 10, the unnecessary padding around the heel and the rubber 'spikes' not being the best grip for road running. Much better grip than H-Streets off-road though. Not that you can get them anymore, so it's a bit irrelevant (although I'd probably try them again in a half size up).
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭

SVT: You have 3 months - buy a prezzie now! Guess who has forgotten to do this :-(

BTW, I ran in NB150s to work this morning as a final bit of comparison with the Puma H Streets.

I'll have to eat some humble pie :-)

Pumas definitely feel softer, yield better to footfalls and feel much lighter (though how I can physically tell whilst running I do not know!!). But for similar HR I ran faster in NB150s. And I'm still concerned about Puma's durability. I will continue to mix and match (and I don't mean wearing different shoes at the same time).

• Options
    Funny - comparing the soles, I have more concerns about the 150s' durability.
  • Options
    my h-street soles have fared better than my 150s. They worn a bit round the outer forefoot, but not much. I burn a hole in 150 red sole under 4th/5th MT after less than 500m.

However, i find 150s springier, faster and far better grip in wet. All round a better shoe (for me at least)

h-streets look best though :)
  • Options
    Hey FG - that's just where I burn a hole in the 150s as well!
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    FFG: If NB150s last you 500 miles how long do the h-streets last?
  • Options
    Does anyone know when the new 'POSE' shoe will be available? I heard that the Dr is going to try and make some more money.

• Options
    Do those who use the H-Streets have the leather or synthetic upper version?
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks BR; I'm planning a _very_ long break-in to minimal shoes.
  • Options
    Definitely synthetic for me - I'd guess a lot of the weight and flexibility would be lost in the leather version.
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Synthetic for me too.

RunningAcolyte: Good idea to take your time to adapt to minimalist shoes.
  • Options
    synthetic blue and gold. mmmm mmm.

nrg - I only have one pair of h streets. They've probably only done 200m max running (plus lots of walking) so my wear comment is perhaps not valid - though they look only minimally worn.

Surface seems to affect wear - track intervals being the worst - I now do mine (once in a blue moon) in old burned up 150s. I'm trying to get a hole right through the sole of a pair - I'm close, but haven't broken through yet! Makes rocky descents a little uncomfortable!

My Adistar Comps arrived this morning - the sole is full of holes already! Bizarre styling. They feel good walking round the living room, but will they get me round Amsterdam in under 2.35 this October?
  • Options
    Synthetic - leather prohibits the foot "breathing"...
  • Options
    I might have missed it, but I don't think anyone has so far mentioned the importance of comfort in a shoe: the more comfortable and relaxed your feet are, the more relaxed and effortless your running will be. If a shoe rubs somewhere, has arch "support", has too much heel, etc it can make you tense your foot or change your natural footstrike in a way that will lead to injuries in the long run.

I mainly run in NB RC150s which I find close to ideal, and which are extremely comfortable. My only quibble with them is that they have a small (but problematic for me) amount of arch support which becomes more pronounced as the cushioning in other areas (like under the ball of the foot) compresses/degrades over time.

I tried some H-Streets recently which initially felt great because they have no arch support. However, unfortunately they have a seam which rubs the top of my feet just behind the big toe, which causes me to tense up and stops me running with "relaxed legs". The outcome of this is that I run slower for the same heart-rate and I seem to get a lot more leg-muscle damage (much soarer legs afterwards).

Personally, I reckon the ideal shoe is one that is as minimalist as possible whilst still keeping your feet comfortable and relaxed. I don't think cushioning is the issue - I think it is more about:
    1. Getting a good fit and having a non-slip lining inside the shoe so that your feet don't slide about
    2. No pressure points or rough seams
    3. No arch "support" or achilles "protector"
    4. Enough flexibility to let your feet move as if your were barefoot
    5. Just enough protection and cushioning to keep out thorns and glass, whilst still letting your feet feel the ground.
  • Options
    Very good point, Gravy - comfort is vital if you're going to be banging out serious miles.

That's my slight worry with the 150s - I'm going to have to try them with and without insoles a few more times. 'With' is a tighter fit, whereas 'without' seems better in general but leads to soreness on my left instep (after only 4 miles or so).

'Best fit' is a very personal matter, and I favour the H-Streets so far on that score. However, for ultimate comfort and top score on all 5 points above it's got to be the Teva Protons. With time I may feel happy to use tehm for all my running.
  • Options
    SVT - I have tried the 150s without insoles and find that it makes the arch intrusion worse, so I have kept the insoles in mine. The 150s have a raised lip that runs all around the outside of the top of the sole and, where the shoe cuts in under the arch, this can dig into the arches. I'm quite tempted to take a knife to this area to see if can remove the offending area...

In a similar vein, I have been tempted to cut some "Nike Free" style grooves into the soles of my H-Streets to improve their flexibility, and to cut away the part of the shoe that rubs and causes blisters (although I'm a bit scared they might just fall apart if I do). I'm also toying with the idea of sticking in a more grippy lining - having removed the inner soles, I find lining beneath quite slippy.

It sounds a bit extreme, but perhaps these sort of modifications are the way to go until someone gets round to releasing a really good shoe for mid-foot runners?

I'm interested to hear your enthusiasm for the Protons - I have been thinking about trying something along these lines for a while. I was always a bit worried that comfort would not be a strong point (ie that they would either rub or that my feet would slip around inside) or that they would not be very breathable (and would make my feet very hot). Can I ask why you don't currently feel happy to use them for all your running? Is it just the lack of cushioning? (And, if so, could you not modify them by adding some bits of mouse-mat to the soles where required?)

BTW can you still buy the Teva Protons?
    Has anyone else tried these sorts of modifications, and if so, were they successful?

• Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    The Protons do seem to be a bit hot & non-breathable, but yes otherwise they pretty much meet that spec. The forefoot area is quite wide which allows your feet to splay out though if you have narrow feet it could also allow them to move around a bit too much. I use them for the odd recovery run mostly rather than anything longer.
  • Options
    Gravy - I find the Protons to be my most comfortable shoes by a long way. I haven't had a problem with heat so far but then again I've only done up to 4 miles at a time and around 7:00 am.

I don't use them for all my running at the moment because:

a) I've currently got five pairs of shoes on the go and I'm trying to give them all a fair trial before relegating any to 'gardening use only'.

b) They're so different to any of my other minimalist shoes that they are taking a little getting used to. For the first five minutes of running in them I tend to look for the nearest patch of grass to run on before I feel comfortable enoughto tackle the concrete/tarmac that makes up most of my route.

And they seem to be pretty widely available - I bought mine recently after doing a quick Google search for stockists. £25 was the bet I found.
  • Options
    Pirie was, of course, a fan of customisation: "Now that you know what to do with your feet and legs, and understand how poorly designed
    running shoes contribute to both injury and slower running, how may we produce a shoe to fit
    your feet?
    We shall do this by taking a typical pair of running shoes, and reconstructing them to the correct
    specifications."

I find I'm generally too lazy, but at least with cheap flats it's not too frightening to make mods. I've tried a bit of achilles padding (a la pirie) and it felt quite good, but I did a poor job of it, and have not ever suffered there anyway, so lost interest. Knifing out the less agreeable bits of cushioning seems like a good step - let us know how it goes.
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Just going back to the track design issue, and indeed the cushioning/lack-of issue, I can't help but feel it needs comparing to the springiness/shock absorption/etc characteristics of our natural terrain rather than say a concrete/tarmac path.

Apart from during very dry seasons, I'd have thought you will generally find that soil/sand/grass/peat/etc all have some natural give in them. Our feet will have evolved with this terrain - once we came down from the trees that is :-).

As a result I think we actually do need a some give in our shoes in order to actually simulate this natural "give" when we are running on hard man-made surfaces. Our feet are probably expecting it. At the same time though we don't want to remove the ground reaction feedback that stimulates our bodies ability to absorb shock through the plantar, calf, bent knee, quad, etc chain of body parts.

So a few mm of firmish cushioning is important. It also helps spread the load amongst the metatarsal heads.