Options

Very lightweight trainer suggestions

Comments

• Options
    Chaos - Sounds like a very sensible theory.

The Kenyan junior women all ran barefoot in the world xc this year I believe - so maybe elite coaches are also gaining a renewed interest in the potential speed benefits?
  • Options

What with RC150s not being made any more and manufacture of H-steets and similar being subject to the whims of fashion - who knows if they'll be available in a few years time - I've begun to wonder about designing my own shoes. Getting hold of a ~4mm EVA sheet seems easy enough. Soling rubber should be easy enough too. Cutting into desired shape and glueing etc shouldn't be difficult. The only difficulty i would see is in making a decent upper.

Not considered this until now - but maybe there is a small business opportunity here? There are a growing number of us to whom a really simple running shoe would appeal.

• Options
    Like the ol' Bowerman with his waffle iron or Lydiard did shoes too.
  • Options
    Or import the 151s from NB Japan?

Anyone speak Japanese?
  • Options
    Pants - I've got a feeling you're going to learn it!

Interesting that the Pose shoe still hasn't seen the light of day - I wonder whether it's not as easy a process as it seems. You'd have thought there's a great business opportunity there, given that we're down to one retailer of 150s, Nike Jarowe Waffles seem to have all but disappeared and shoe-shop.com's supply of synthetic-upper H-Streets seems to have dwindled to only two sizes.
  • Options
    Try making a shoe that covers forefoot only and leaves the heel bare - gives a great feeling of freedom and cuts out all the difficulty of abrasion and cursed pebbles etc - I was surprised how comfortable rocky ground is with this arrangement.

I have only attached these with tape, but feel a snug neoprene/velcro arangement around midfoot would work fine.
  • Options
    Alex - I was wondering the same myself - there definitely seems to be a real demand.

I'm wondering whether I would be able to remove the uppers intact from one of my many old worn-out pairs of 150s and reattach them to some home made soles of the kind you describe. It doesn't sound too tricky in theory, but I'm not sure how hard it would be in practice - I have a feeling it would take some real hacking to remove the 150s' uppers and that they might not survive the process...

It occurs to me that the ideal upper would basically just be a strongly elasticated sock which you could just stick on some minimalist soles. I think the difficulty would be finding a sock that was elasticated enough to keep your feet in place, and that was at least slightly waterproof but breathable at the same time. If you could find something to meet these requirements then it seems like it would be very easy to put together a very cheap, very light but comfortable minimalist "shoe".

What do you reckon?
  • Options
    So really we're just talking about a sock with a thin rubber sole? Sounds good to me!
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Today's posts are very interesting.

Gravy: Excellent post. I can relate to what you said about seams and arch-support though it's not too bad for me. The biggest factor is the tightness of fit hence I use lock-laces, take the insoles out and wear thin socks. Initially the feet are a little sensitive but after a while they become numb and I can run much better/smoother.

Chaos: Have you considered the thickness of the skin on the soles of your feet? We go barefoot indoors. Mine seems to be fairly thick. When I visited some poor parts of India people walked around barefoot and the kids could quite happily runaround on dirt tracks. When we came down from the trees surely the skin on the underside would have been thicker??

A friend of mine makes bespoke designer shoes. In the past, I've spoken to him about making a "proper" minimalist shoe. Other then what's been mentioned, one of the other key requirements is that the price of the shoe should be cheap...very cheap. This is in fact easy to do as all the materials need to be lightweight and hence are easy to buy. Next step is make sure production costs are low.

The idea of a strong sock with a durable rubberized underneath is excellent. In a similar vein, I have a pair of very thin tri-bord surf shoes (4mm of rubber) from Decathlon (ie £4? a pair) which are brilliant except my feet get very sweaty. They feel like a pair of socks. Though the rubber is so soft it wears out to quickly on the pavement.

• Options
    Alex, Gravy etc, would the Sealskinz waterproof cycling socks fit the bill. The are tight fitting and thicker than normal socks. Or just stick a piece of sole stright onto your mid/forefoot. (Mind you, I think you are all nuts!)
  • Options
    Gravy, I have a feeling thatI know you..... You don't drink pints of gravy (custard and other gloopy) stuff then run around a track, do you?
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Wahey! What about these?

http://aeishoes.com/

"Light Weight Shoes for the Forefoot Runner"

They sound very interesting. I've emailed them for the pricing so will update you if and when I hear back.
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Nice one, Chaos! I like the way they talk about forefoot running by comparing it to riding a skateboard.

The closest I came up with with were Martial arts shoes.
  • Options
    Interesting (although I'm not sure about the look of them!). Anyone volunteering to become a UK tester?

Martial arts shoes look good but I'm not sure about the leather uppers on most of them (or the durability of the cotton/canvas ones).
  • Options
    just in case you hadn't seen them:

RC151J
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    SVT: Synthetic shoes are interesting - colors are a bit off.
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Got a reply already from AEI shoes.

"Hello Mark,
    Right now I am charging $45 plus an additional $7 for foreign
    shipping. That covers my costs. The shoes are in the latter stages
    of development, and I would like feedback on them. I am making
    changes as I determine needs and solutions. I only have the three
    sizes 9,10, and 11 right now.

If you would like a pair, the easiest way is to have me send a Paypal
    invoice. Then you can pay that and I'll make and ship the shoes
    within a week.

Thanks for your interest,

Dave Schoenfeld"

So - who wants to be the guinea pig?
  • Options
    $52 = £28.52

I'd be very tempted but I may have trouble convincing Mrs SVT, having bought 150s and Protons at the start of the month! I'll try, but I'm not sure whether my powers of persuasion are up to it. Mind you, if I give her £28.52 to spend on shoes herself she surely can't complain...

The one concern is that they seem to be very much off-road shoes and I'm a 95% road runner.
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    I'll volunteer to be the pig. Another shoe won't matter and I'm a size 9. How do I do the PayPal thing?

I'm a 100% road-runner but part of my route can include running over parkland & trails so can give these shoes a right bashing.
  • Options
    Great find Chaos!

They look very interesting. It's a shame they have gone for a thicker carbon fibre plate in the sole rather than a much more flexible kevlar fabric mesh or I'd be getting my credit card out to place an order this minute. I'm not sure that stopping lateral foot movement and only allowing slightly restricted longitudinal movement is the ideal. If top African runners can happily run barefoot on trails, then I'm sure even those of us with most soft and pampered feet could manage with just enough protection to keep out anything sharp and a very small amount of cushioning. However, it's still great to see someone trying to bring out something like this, so all credit to them.

I was interested to note this part from the AEI site:

"Generally a forefoot runner will rely on bio mechanics to absorb or minimize the shock to his body. As the foot touches down on the ground, the arch can flatten to cushion the foot"

I think he is absolutely spot on about the arch of the foot needing the freedom to be able flatten out in order to absorb shock. This is why arch support seems to me like such a terrible idea in running shoes, particularly for fore-/mid-foot runners.
  • Options
    Fell Liker - No, that's not me. Although I do have a bit of a penchant for custard, the last thing I'd fancy doing after eating it is running...
  • Options
    nrg-b - remember to adjust for US shoe sizes!

I think you e-mail the company, they can send you a PayPal invoice and you pay it (assuming you have a PayPal account set up).
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    SVT: Cheers - I forgot about that, so UK9 = US10??
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    I think it's the off-road element that's stopping me as well. Having already got the Inov-8 mudrocs, jarrowe waffles and zoom waffle racers, I've got off-road covered for quite a while.

It's a road/pavement version that we need now - I've searched for kevlar fabric socks/soled-shoes in vain. The only stuff I did find was the Vivo Barefoot range but they are firstly very expensive and secondly made in sweaty leather.

http://www.funky-footwear.co.uk/brand-VivoBarefoot.html
  • Options
    Judging by the appearance of the 'aeishoes', it seems like the upper was a bit of a problem for them too. Normally i don't worry too much about appearance of shoes, but i really don't like the look of the strappy bits.

I also see that lateral stiffness as a problem. I'm just getting over some achilles trouble that i'm sure was caused in part by track reps in spikes (plastic spike plate - poor lateral flexibility.

• Options
    I braved the West End to visit the Puma shop on Carnaby St on Saturday. I now have the H-Streets, which I will be using mainly for gym work - I think it will be good to have a minimal shoe for those core stability exercises like lunges and squats, and jumping on and wobbling on BOSU boards, etc.

This afternoon in the lovely sunshine I walked barefoot around the common across the road from my house. The skin on the bottom of my feet is much more sensitive than when I was (much) younger growing up in Aus. But apart from that it felt good. I even included some little sets as suggested in this month's RW article: balls of feet only, heels only, toes scrunched and sides of feet.

Anyway, I'm starting to think about using something like the Teva Proton for two 10-15 minute recovery runs per week. I'd build up to this gradually over a period of 4 weeks.

Anyone know of shops in central London that stock the Protons? I don't want to buy them over the 'net because I don't know about sizing.

• Options
    Alex - I know what you mean about the strappy bits!

Just spent the whole bank holiday weekend either barefoot or wearing Protons with no socks.
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    SVT: I did a 6.5mile run in rubber surf shoes today. They're a good fit so no room for socks. Have a few blisters now....

I assume the Protons are comfortable with no socks?
  • Options
    Fine - just a little rubbing on the achilles. I do wear socks when running in them though.