Options

Benefits of running in the cold

You know how when you run when it's hot, its really hard but when it cools down, your running has improved, does it apply to running in the cold?

My teeth hurt and it feels harder than in more ambient temps. - will my stamina have improved as a result?

Also, I note that some people stop running in the winter. I daren't as it took so long to improve (by that I mean I've just managed my 1st 10k)that I don't want to risk stopping, although I know that my body will benefit from a break.

Does anyone have an opinion/comments?

Comments

• Options
    Cold means getting out of the door again is the hardest part. I also find can cough a lot if cold breath catches in throat.
    I'm in the same position as you, and wouldn't dare to give up as each tiny bit of running fitness has been hard won!
    Keep going!
  • Options
    Me too - daren't stop now. Have done in the past around November time and picked up in March but lost stamina and fitness and had start all over again.

Apart from anything else I don't seem to notice the winter too much anymore - maybe it's to do with improved circulation or just that running outside in the cold gives you a psychological edge! (or could be the effects of global warming of course). Keep going Georgia & Helen T, you won't regret come the spring time!
  • Options
    Where I live, running in the winter is much better because all the tourists have gone home!!! Over summer you get stopped every five minutes by pensioners looking for a toilet/bingo/lost dog/unpronouncable Welsh village etc.

Never gets that cold up here though.

This morning was nippy tho, so I microwaved my energy drink before I set out. Tasted no more nasty than usual, and kept my hands warm for a good few miles (by which time I'd warmed up anyway).

We are all soooooo virtuous. Keep it up gals! :-)
  • Options
    I love running in the cold, plenty of thin layers and a nice hat and gloves and whee!

Great fun,good for the soul and god for the ego...
  • Options
    Good things about winter running

Maintain and improve the fitness you’ve already got.
    Good shape for the many excellent races around in Jan/Feb/Mar/April
    Knowing that even if you are cold when you start within 10 minutes you’ll be just right
    Running on a cold, frosty, dry, clear day, through the countryside the views can be absolutely beautiful
    Running at night the streets are quiet (and you can watch for which house has the most tasteless Christmas decorations)
    Getting in, collapsing in front of a warm fire, with a big mug of sweet tea and some toast with loads of melting butter, and feeling smug
    The long soak in the bath after a long Sunday run
    It’s an excuse to take a short break from the family at Christmas
    It’s a way of burning off the Christmas calories (or an excuse to indulge a bit more)
    It’s a way of clearing a hangover
    Excuse to buy new kit (and there is a lot of good quality kit available to keep you warm and dry)
    Running in the dark, neighbours can’t see you red-faced and sweaty
    If you can get out for a run at lunchtime you can catch the few rays of sunlight around
    Far fewer tourists, especially blocking the footpath by the London Eye

The main thing is, feeling smug and virtuous
  • Options
    Smug. Moi?

Sparkley Barkles - I misread the 'Whee' and thought you ran in gloves and heels!

I guess that it is easier to keep going than to start from scratch.
    Just needed reassurance.
  • Options
    Running in the winter akes you appreciate what little summer we do have!!!
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Skip, I found myself nodding my head at almost every item on your list. Especially the "Running in the dark, neighbours can’t see you red-faced and sweaty" - that's me.

I do get smug, especially on Christmas day. Extra stuffing, anyone?
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Was thinking about most of the things on Skip's list during my run last night, in the biting wind and freezing cold! I had fun checking out people's decorations and was spurred on by the thought of a lovely hot shower and a huge plate of spaghetti bolognese!

Last winter I'd only just started running and pretty much gave up for December, January and February. Buying RW in February got me back on track again and this year I won't be letting the cold and dark deter me - it's not worth having to build up your fitness from scratch!
  • Options
    Wrapping up like a michelin man allows me to wear all the gear that i've had put away all summer! Also lets me have a look at all the fairy lights round the housing estates and no one sees when i trip over the pavements because i'm not watching where i'm going. It really is well lit up this year - it's like running through a grotto. I keep expecting to hear sleigh bells.
  • Options
    Mike19Mike19 ✭✭✭
    The other point that you've all missed is.... the sight of those who have just realised they have a place in the FLM and haven't started training yet!

What glows more... them or the excessive fairy lights? Who cares... it makes me feel good!
  • Options
    I'm just getting back after a year of achille tendon problems so it will be a winter of hard training, just to get back to my normal fitness. I've decided that I'm going to do a speed session at least once every two weeks down at the track. It's great because it is well lit, there's people about and I can finish when I want. Round where I live, the neighbours are in competition about who's got the biggest, best lights, so when I need to stop, I just pretend I'm not really knackered and am admiring the lights!
  • Options
    GREAT benefit of running in the cold. Apparently it burns 12% more calories.

I'll have that second mince pie AND a slice of stollen thanks
  • Options
    you know you'll warm up when you get back?
    when you fall over and scrape the skin off your knees, your legs are already numb so it doesn't hurt?
    if you run first thing in the morning you can run in, cuddle your beloved and hear them scream?
  • Options
    oooh i hate that, you feel like you're burning your skin off, but as its bright red already you can't tell so you have to judge the dial on the shower and hope you don't blister!!!
  • Options
    Do you guys wear hats in the winter? I still haven't worn one and while you'd think with my polished scalp would need to it, I just find it too hot.
  • Options
    Wear a Buff in winter and gloves and longs and l/sleeve thermals and don't do high pace work when really cold.

Easy, but longer in winter to build a base of endurance for faster summer runs.

A good run in winter day or night feels good.

• Options
    I quite enjoy running in the cold weather - I live in Stratford upon Avon and tonight there was a Christmas street market, a pig roast and carol singers - all very atmospheric!!
    The only main thing I notice about running in the cold is that when I stop my bottom and legs start tingling - does anyone else get this? If so is it a good or bad thing??
  • Options
    I've been out three times this week, twice in the icy East wind and today in the chilling drizzle but I've put in three of my fastest laps of my regular 5k circuit, motivated by the deep desire to get back in the warm shower as soon as possible!
  • Options
    Runner, is that the same Billy Connolly who encourages people to shout abuse at runners in his autobiography? I went right off him after i heard that!

Fi, tingling in the lower portions can only be a bonus, surely!
  • Options
    I remember the tale of two fishermen sitting in a boat on the Thames in January, a biting East wind driving rain and sleet down their necks and the only fish showing were tiddlers.

One turned to the other and said "I'll be glad when I've had enough of this"
  • Options
    Can anybody tell me how I am supposed to get myself out of bed and down the road a few miles the morning after the Christmas party.
    I only started running in Oct feel it is going pretty well but after 2 work parties this week ( I am very good at over indulging ) I have ground to a bit of a halt.

• Options
    I prefer to run in the cold, because I don't sweat so much, the scenery is better on a frosty day, I can cover my skinny arms up and I get to wear my flashy running gear.
  • Options
    I find that running in bad weather makes me feel even better about my run (even if mud, ice and floods have slowed me down) it makes me feel a bit special (especially when I run past pubs and restaurants where people are eating and drinking) I feel very disciplined and committed!

Then I go home, have a hot bath and get pissed and eat rubbish......but hey I earned it didn't I?
  • Options

I quite like running in bad weather, as it means that there are fewer people around to witness my efforts - and the few that are around tend to look at me like I'm mad when I go past them....

Added to which, I get a feeling of smug self-satisfaction from looking at them and thinking "Yes, you go home to your lovely warm house, your hot tea, and put the telly on - I'll just finish another couple of miles out here in the wind and the cold and the rain - I know which of us will feel better for it".