Options

Benefits of running in the cold

2»

Comments

• Options
    Hey Wolfy I think you have got it dead right. You go for a descent run warm up then you have plenty of time to work out what kind of junk you are going to eat and drink when you return to the house ( or Pub ) that you have come from.
  • Options
    To keep warm in the cold your body has to work that much harder, so more calories are burned. I come from a cycling background & we were encouraged to do as much as possible in winter as it helps reduce body fat ( cyclists are keen on that sort of thing!! reducing it not having it!). So get out there and ENJOY
  • Options
    Find myself sitting at the computer reading all your messages about how good it feels to be out running in the cold. That is what I should be doing right now. The other option is the treadmill-this puts me to sleep and I rarely run for as long.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    This is really inspiring stuff when you're reading it inside in the warm. After waiting for half an hour for the bus in the icy wind the thought of going out again for a run somehow is slightly less attractive!

Once I'm out there though, I never wish I wasn't (well, only when my nose is so cold I wonder whether it's actually frozen off my face without me noticing ...)
  • Options
    It is hard actually getting out of the door or nice warm clubroom, but once out it's not too bad. It takes about 2 miles for me to warm up and take off, or unzip the first layer.
    I reckon the big advantages of running in the cold are: no idiots on the route with their 'run forrest run' comments, and i always have the hope that the deep breathing of cold air that running induces is killing off the bugs that people who live in overheated offices full of recycled hot air breath on me. Loads of people seem to be full of stomach bugs and really snotty colds at present - i've had the cold and am avoiding one and all as i don't want the other bugs!!
    Bah Humbug!!!
  • Options
    While out running this morning I got toothache with inhaling cold air over my teeth, never had that before........
  • Options
    I have to admit, for me running in the cold is horrible while im actually doing it. The best bit though is when you think to yourself that dragging yourself out is the hardest part, and if you have the self-discipline to do that, it makes it all the rest of the training so much easier.
  • Options
    Gaz, watch out, it could mean you've got a cracked tooth. I finally lost a molar this year, the trouble all started with a cold air inhalation pain!
  • Options
    HelenT,
    thanks for the warning, I will keep an eye on it :0)
  • Options
    There's no danger of running in the cold over this Xmas period. It's going to be mild, wet and windy; very unseasonal.