Options

Warm up Exercises

Hi All

Has anyone got any warm up exercises they would like to tell me about, my legs feel very heavy for about 2 miles until they are warmed up, then its ok.

i have just read that it would be better not to stretch before a run, obviously i stretch after.

Need some tips

Ta

Comments

• Options
    Hi paul

I tend to just run slower for the first few miles to get warmed up. I don't know if there is any way to get round the 'heavy leg' feeling. If there is I'd love to hear it!
    cheers
  • Options
    Thats what i've been doing up to know, but if i run any slower, i'll topple over
  • Options
    I just start out slowly and get faster as the oil in my legs warms up and turns to liquid that stops the knees creaking - did i tell you that the DS stands for 'diesel start up'??
  • Options
    Hi Paul. Same advice as teh top. slow jog until i feel teh first trickle of sweat from my temple, then step up the pace slightly. After another 5 mins i stretch while running.
    1. kicking heals up to butt x20
    2. bring knees up ot horizontal x20
    3. extra long strides x20
    4. jog for a little see how this feels
    5. go for a dynamic hour run or stop at the cafe for and all day breakfast.
    Have fun and let us all know how you get on.
  • Options
    Nick

I'm glad its dark when i run, if someone saw me doing those heal kicks and long strides, i'd have to hide for weeks, even then venturing out only while wearing a ski mask.

You were obviously a fan of monty pythons flying circus and John Cleese's Ministry Of Funny Walks

Number 5 sounds good though.

Cheers
  • Options
    Paul, your a runner, its nearly Xmas, its freezing cold and you are in the local park in Lycra or showing your hairy legs, most people thing you have lost it any way, 3 mins of funny leg movements is not going to make them think any less of you, but your legs might think more of you. don't be shy, be who you want to be. Be loud and proud and allow your legs teh oppotunity to express their inner child.
  • Options
    Nick

Two words mate

HEAD DOCTOR

Enough said.LOL

Paul
  • Options
    I think I've killed a useful discussion. thanks folks.
  • Options
    Paul, can you not do the funny kicks/strides etc. in your living room or hallway before you step out the door? I do a wierd and probably very unscientific mixture of jogging on the spot, star jumps, squat thrusts and taekwon-do kicks for about 5 minutes in very small corner of dining room before I head out - as couldn't face the look on the workmen's faces if I came down the path doing any of those!! Seems to do the trick!
  • Options
    I do a variety of movements borrowed from some aerobics videos before going outside including kicking heels up and back; stretching arms up and pulling them down while bringing up one knee (alternating legs); touching floor on the left side, middle, and right sides of feet; circling arms; and jogging in place.
    Maybe it is not much of a benefit to the running but it helps me feel a little bit warming before going out in these colder temperatures.