Options

(Un?)realistic expectations

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Only taking the mick BR, I know you don't like to race overseas! :-)
  • Options
    I think it's time RW should quote you on their page 3.
  • Options
    Bet Roger Bannister regrets that 3:59.4. It must have dogged him ever since:)
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    BR, I don't think Banister actually rated it that highly. However his failure at the Helsinki 1952 really did rankle, and had it not been for that he would have walked away from the sport in 1952. Then the first four minute miler would have been John Landy (and more deservedly so)

So Bannister only ran the first four minute mile to make himself feel better after the Helsinki disappointment!
  • Options
    ... and the efforts of the likes of Chris Brasher (s/c gold medal) were forgotten. He is more known for pacing Bannister than for his gold medal. Chris Chataway the other pacer set world records himself.
  • Options
    So chasing a pb in an ideal race can sometimes pay off then?
  • Options
    I'm late to this thread but thought I would add my thoughts anyway.

Having (temporarily?) given up running due to injury I can honestly say that I have no regrets and that my running targets were (mostly) achieved. The way I see it the best targets are those which are 'mathematically pure' and once you have achieved that goal then the interim steps matter little. By mathematically pure I mean targets with 5 minute increments (10k) up to 10 minute increments (half-marathon) and 15 minute increments (marathon). As an example, running a sub-40 10k is hugely satisfying such that making the leap from 40.01 to 39.59 is far more satisfaying that going from 39.59 to 38.59. Similarly the sub 1:30 half and the sub 3:00 marathon have the same kudos.

Having always hated the marathon and having achieved a sub 40 10k and a sub 1:30 half I guess the only target I missed was the sub 60 10 mile (boo hiss)
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Not, always BR, Bannisters first attempt, was a hastily assembled effort, I think it was at some school sports or something. Brasher paced the first lap, then slowed down until Bannister came up to lap him at the start of lap four and paced him over Banisters last lap. Brasher then jogged his last lap to finish the race. The attempt failed, and the AAA were not amused calling it "not in the spirit of what athletics is all about".

Interestingly Brasher,the pacemaker in both races, went on to complete the race - I didn't know pacemakers could do that !

From a copy of next August's "Barnsley Echo", which was passed to me through a freak wormhole in time.

"Barnsley teacher breaks five minute mile, extraordinary events at local compreensive's sports day! Whilst the performance is generally regarded as being a major achievement for the runner, who enigmatically chooses to be known solely by the initials BR, the manner of its achievement has been called into question by the South Yorkshire 3As. A statement issued by the headmaster said that he was totally unaware that BR had used 40 pupils out of year six to pace him - each running 44 yards each" .
  • Options
    Now there's an idea...

Problem is I'd have to write 40 risk assessments - one for each kid:(

I ran the sports day 800m for my (Y11) form this year as a bribe to get them to fill up the sprinting events.
  • Options
    and the result BR...????
  • Options
    2:40 - I won with a little bit of aquaplane showboating at the end.