Options

Marseille-Cassis Classic International Oct 30th 2005 !!!

Comments

• Options
    Hmmm ... kind of set.

Had probs with shin splints (hence non-appearance at Cabbage Patch 10), bought a new pair of shoes, but they appear to be s***, I might have to go shoe-shopping Friday.

Will be happy just to get round, methinks.
  • Options
    You can't get round....it's one way! :)

What are you doing Saturday night?
  • Options
    Ho ho ho! :-)

Not sure what I'll be doing yet .. why, are you going to be beering it down the Canebiere? Or whatever it's called?
  • Options
    Canebiere?.....ah right I get it, no will be propping up the bar/bars in Cassis, you're welcome to join us although I've no idea how you'd get back.
  • Options
    Well? Any M-C lurkers out there?
  • Options
    Hello, that was a luverly race! Definately doing it next year. Sorry we missed you at the end B. We found your bar just as we started the stagger up the hill to the station after a lovely long lunch on the Port. Bloody brilliant time you did - congratulations!
  • Options
    I'm back! It was a bit good wasn't it! Took a bus from Cassis along the course this afternoon, back to Marseille. That climb out of Marseille looks quite impressive from a bus!

Well done Rach running 10k uphill followed by 10k down hill, non stop, when you train on the flat is outstanding.....are you sure you haven't been doing hill reps? Top bird!!! :)

Brian, well done mate!!! What did you think of the race/the hill/the finish/Cassis/the support/the FFL tanks at the side of the road/the helicopters following along side/the bars.......you coming back next year so we can have that beer? :)

• Options
    Allo allo et bonjour toute le monde! :-)

Back at work now :-(

Definitely a classic race! Although that walk up the hill to the shuttle buses at the end ... argh my legs! The bus back reminded me of the end of the Italian Job! :-)

Might come back next year, or perhaps race in Paris (I'm only 40 mins from Ashford, easy for me). Strange ending I thought, everyone bundled over the line!

Lots of things to enjoy though:

- Overtaking legionniares
    - Overtaking a gimp (did you see him?) and staying *well* in front.
    - The scenery, Cassis looks good, shame I weren't there long.
    - That first kilometre downhill (did it in under 4 mins).
    - Finally meeting you both! :-)))))
    - Having a wee drink in the Marseille Football Club bar and looking round teh old port.
    - Seeing a metro station with an in-built fish tank?!
    - The cheerleaders - wha-hey! Yes!
    - The weather, unbelievable for the end of Oct.

Saw numerous blokes running on the wall all the way round, absolutely mental. And I ran over the flyover for the hell of it, thought it was a mistake at the time!

Was a good weekend, went very quick though. Only moan was the metro system let me down on Sunday, made me panic a bit, and my t-shirt engulfes me, must be a "legionnaire" large.

And just to explainering, I work as a contractor at the moment, and only get paid for the time I'm at work. Hopefully next year I can afford to take more time off!
  • Options
    They've got me down as doing it in 1:53, with a "reel" (chip?) time exactly the same, a bit odd.

It took a good few minutes to get over the line, I know that much.
  • Options
    Damn! I missed the gimp but we did run for a while with a guy in a pink wig and silver sequinned mini dress..had to laugh when he lifted the dress to show the crowd his thong and tatooed arse! He went a bit quiet when we passed the nunnery though!

Re the times, my official one is 6 mins more than my watch! Last year it was championchip timing, this year a wire in the number so it looks like all we're getting is a gun time. :(

I've got some good photo's from along the route, do you want some?

• Options
    Hey I've just spotted your little piccie, is that from the race? Are the photo's up yet?
  • Options
    Yep, photos are on maindrup.

Photos would be great, will you be sending them onto RichK too?

If you mail me through the site, I'll send a reply back, best way to give you my address. Ta.
  • Options
    Ok I've found the photo's, 2 of me, I thought I was smiling but they both look like I've got really bad constipation!
  • Options
    what number were you? i remember rach's cos she told me, but didn't see your's.

Only the one of me.

How steep was that final downhill coming into Cassis? OUCH!
  • Options

Yeah I remember that downhill section, last year when it was pi**ing down I was bricking it! What about the short short uphill bit that followed? Just when you think all the hard stuff is over.

I couldn't believe the number of people being stretchered off! I know it was a bit warm but you'd think they were used to it down there! I hope they were all ok, I saw at least one with a drip plugged in, none of them were on the up-hill section I think they were all in the last 3k.

Rach did really well especially on that last bit of hill towards the end....where all the firemen were! :)
  • Options
    It was carnage, wasn't it?

The first bloke I saw looked in a terrible way. Makes you wonder what the point is of the medical certificates.

I was definitely put off my running by the gyrating cheer-leaders.

I liked the heli-chopper too, that was tres cool.
  • Options
    Put your number in incorrectly at first, got 4 photos of the race generally.

Try 8858.
  • Options
    We over took several leggionaires too!!! :) Agree it was a bit of a shame not to see our chip times up but we know what we did, eh? Apart from that, pretty pleased we didn't start too far forward - it was good to run past peeps throughout the race, even on those evil 7-10kms! Will def be back next year and take a few days about it next time too. Might suggest the organisers place pomps along the entire course, might be in with a hope of running sub 2 then! ;) And yes B, evil walk/sway/stagger up to the train station afterwards. Thank goodness I had a very chivalrous friend helping with my bag!

Hoping we'll get the same weather next year too!

B, if you fancy running in Paris there's the half in March, marathon in April.. Le Touquet 20k is a nice little weekend away early July too.
  • Options
    4 good shots! That last one along the harbour is a cracker! Thanks. I bet runner 8858 isn't too happy though.

B...you do realise the cheer-leaders were blokes...either that or they're a bit rough round Marseille! :)
  • Options
    Hello Rach, how are the legs today?

Guess what! At the duty free at the airport they had a pair of Reebok PRL'S for 24euro's, did you see them? They were blokes and size 9 1/2.....just thought I'd mention it. :)

Sub-2? Steady you wouldn't want to overdo it and need assistance! :)

Joking aside sub-2 is a definate possibility.

Well after I hyped it up so much over the last year, do you reckon M-C was worth the effort ?
  • Options
    Definitely right up there, a race everyone should have a go at. Wouldn't like to do it in the wet, though. Wonder if people run on the wall when it's raining?

Hmmm ... I think Paris Half in March ... you may well see me at that. Not doing PV again though, once is enuff. ;-) Bet you were glad chivalry isn't dead, eh Rach?

Fancy doing Vienna, Munich and Amsterdam (again) next year. Definitely want to do Vienna, you can fly into Bratislava, get hammered there, catch the hydrofoil to Vienna on the Saturday (takes under two hours), go around the Prater Park etc, get muntered in Vienna, train to Bratislava Monday (40 mins), fly home. :-)
  • Options
    Lol...you know same day as M-C there's a 16k ish race in St Tropez.....not as scenic....from a landscape point of view, but more bars!

....there's a half in Canne in March as well........
  • Options
    Legs not too bad today thanks Jelly. Quads still aching a bit but I reckon a nice easy run will sort them out. Hoping to get out later for a little 18k... got a last 50 mile week ahead of me so can't start slacking! ;)

Right, off to check out the piccies...
  • Options
    Oh yuk, fat photos! Looking quite happy with life though!
  • Options
    I thought your photo's were fine, mine look like I'm a contender in a gurning competition and I thought I was beaming at the camera.
  • Options
    I reckon to beat 2 hours, you want to get to 10K by 1'10, then you'll beat it for sure. 1'15 I think would be pushing it a bit. 1'20 and you haven't got much chance. Although it does depend on your style, some go faster downhill for the same effort than others! I got passed by a few (including some clown) on the down hill which I then sped past easily on the flat.

Without wishing to be seen as an oily flatterer, I can't see any fat on you Rach. You do look nice and relaxed in your's as well.

I've had a few 'orrid ones been taken of me (probably still on the web somewhere ...), so I won't take the mick out of Jelly :-)
  • Options
    Thanks B I appreciate the sensitivity re the photo's...that's the last time I have swordfish vindaloo for a bet the night before a race! :)
  • Options
    Maybe she was looking at my photo's? :)
  • Options
    :-))

(And it would explain the gurning!)

Been a bit bored at work (honest!), so been playing around with Excel.

Assuming it took me 6 mins to cross the line (I only started my watch at 1k), I did 60 mins going up to 10k and 46 coming down.

If that 4/3 ratio hold for all runners, then to break 2 hours, I reckon you need to do 1:08 or better going up to stand any chance.

How nerdy! Slow day at work today (plus I'm knackered, almost fell asleep at my desk).
  • Options
    I just ran 18k without too much difficulty. Last big week then taper for La Rochelle. Feeling well up for it after Sunday's race! :)

I was sure Jelly said something about us hitting 10k in 1:08 - perhaps I was hallucinating in the heat though. If that's the case, then I should probably work on my down hill running style. I did find the last down hills into Cassis a bit scarey to be honest. Don't know if I'd have been able to let myself go if it'd been raining.

And on another note, Jelly, what's the name of the salsa place? I think I might come over for a session in December...