Options

Advice on how to raise lots of cash for FLM for charity please!!

Please can any of you help me in my efforts to raise lots of cash.I need to raise £1500 for the meningitis Trust as have a gold bond place and I want to raise money for Naomi House childrens hospice where I work but I have only ever managed to raise £250.00 for charity before.
I have tried all the big banks and stores for donations but no-one seems to be able to help me.Where am I going wrong? Unfortunately I do not have rich contacts!
I am getting really worried about having to fork out the cash myself!
Anyone with experience of fundraising,please help me with any companies etc that help with charities?

Comments

• Options
    Hopefully the Meningitis Trust will give you advice, and maybe a press release. My charity were pretty good on this front.

Rich contacts are good (a friend of a friend works in the city and got the £1500 from six workmates!), but not essential, it just means more work which is probably the last thing you need while trying to train. Here's a few suggestions:

1) Contact the local press
    2) Keep going contacting local firms, shops etc. Tell them you're going to contact the press, and will mention them
    3) Do a web page at www.justgiving.com (link from London Marathon web site
    4) Don't only go round in person, recruit a network of friends to fund raise for you
    5) Contact local schools etc
    6) Posters at work if you're allowed, also try local gyms
    7) Make sure you use Gift Aid - it gets you an extra 28% - the MT should have explained this.

Hope that helps, and best of luck with it :-)
  • Options
    All very valid points from Iain, but I believe the extra 28% available via gift aid doesn't count towards the £1500 pledge.

At least it doesn't for the charity I'm running for and I'm sure they'll all be the same.
  • Options
    Thanks Steve, I wasn't actually aware of that.

All the same - please do it - you'll then have £1500 plus an extra 28%, which I'm sure the charity will be grateful for!
  • Options
    basicaly ditto what Iain has said........and go for it!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I guess it wouldn't do any harm to find out a bit about meningitis if you don't already know it, what the money will go towards etc. Some people like to know a bit about where their money's going. Again your charity will presumably be able to help.

Are they providing you with any posters, leaflets etc?
  • Options
    Thanks for your words of advice.I will keep on trying.A recruit of people to give out forms is a good one.
    Luckily or unlucky as the case may be my daughter had the disease so I can speak about it till the cows come home which helps!
    Shame about the 28%!
  • Options
    Dear Debs-
    I think that you that have to annoy people continuosly to get the cash ! also make sure you try and get it as you go along0 don`t leave it til after the race to start collecting the money! If your daughter had meningitis then this I am sure would help your efforts as people will be more willing to help out knowing its affected you personally. Local press coverage of this including a bit about meningitis awareness might be a very fruitful step.......
    I have to raise 1000 so not so much but same basic approach. i am doing for Ectopic Trust as my wife was seriouslt ill with ectopic preg this year- IN the end i will have to pay if i don`t get the target but will be worth it anyway if i have to ! good luck...
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hi Debs,
    depending on where you work, you could organise a silly tie & socks day. Collegues pay anything from 50p to £1 for the joy of looking silly! This was done at my place of work and was good fun, plus making quite a bit of money.

Good luck!
  • Options
    I'm fortunate enough to have won club ballot place so have given my gold bond place back, though am still running on behalf of my chosen charity. I will now simply seek sponsorship from friends/ family etc and do what I can but the pressure is off the target. Howevever, last year I raised 5 thousand pounds with a friend to join a Charity trek in China raising funds for the Childrens Society. We found our biggest successes were BIG events. They take a bit of organising but we managed to raise over 1,000 pounds with a beer festival! Get local companies to sponsor a barrel of beer, another local firm to sponsor the cost of a band, a local supermarket to sponsor/ provide soft drinks and you've cut out most of the costs! We sold tickets at 7.50 a head and it was a brilliant night. I know this is hard to organise with all the training, but most charities don't demand the money in til August, so you could even do something like this after the FLM! With press coverage you should be on a winner. Choose a band you are already aware of as popular in the area and the tickets almost sell themselves. Other big money makers are an Auction of Promises, and GENUINELY nearly new sales for kids stuff. A final idea is to organise a sponsored walk and get families in the area involved raising sponsorship for the Meningitis Trust on your behalf. A friend of mine did this last Spring and raised over 3 thousand pounds simply by organising the walk for others to do!Its not easy, but the pay back in terms of effort/ money earnt is far greater for a large event in my experience. Good luck!
  • Options
    hey debs
    my local pub (ok 2 local pubs - i am a VERY social runner!) is doing a "keep the change" night where drinkers can round up to the nearest quid; don't know how much we'll get but not too difficult to organise. we'll also do a pubquiz or 2, and a mate is a guitarist so he'll do an acoustic night for free for us; at a quid a go, we might get another 50 quid.
    also on yr justgiving website make sure the end bit is memorable, eg justgiving.com/DebsDoingLondon or something like that. when u stick up posters at work, leave tear-off strips so people don't forget the web address
    in terms of getting flyers out to lots of people, why not ask your local pizza delivery if their guys could deliver them when they deliver pizzas or menus ? might be worth a go!
    couple of years ago, my local photo shop sponsored 50 quid in return for having their logo on my vest - and did the printing too!
    Final thought; try all the investment banks and brokers in the City as well as UK clearing banks via their corporate communications/PR depts.
    Good luck
  • Options
    Loads of ideas.Thank you all very much.
  • Options
    Thanks for the plug about justgiving MatW ;-)

There's another older thread here you might have seen Debs (so apologies if you have) with more fundraising ideas from me and lots of other too.

All the best

Free sponsorship webpages for the London Marathon.
  • Options
    We have been trying to raise funds for over three months now and I have to say it has been a surprising experience.

Smaller shops and local stall holders in our town have been very generous and un expectedly open to offer good wishes and support.

The biggest surprise has been the big stores for e.g our local Tesco where we have actually spent £1000.00's wouldn't offer us anything except a £5.00 voucher!!! I know they get asked all the time by local groups etc I am well aware of all their arguments of defence but as a person who has worked in retail marketing I also know that they could have done so much more without it hurting profit margins or setting dangerous presidents!

Very sad when a local plant lady in our market didn't even want to know who the charity was just said here's £10.00 very best of luck! Its this kind of lovely attitude that makes us want to run the marathon in the first place because we know just a few generous individuals can make a big difference to a good cause.

Anyhow, Ive taken off my Victor Meldrew cap now and the real reason I wanted to write was to help with ideas on fund raising.

We are doing our own prize draw and have asked local shops and business's etc if they can't give us cash maybe they might donate a prize? this has worked well. When we ask people to sponsor us we can add incentive to their decision by telling them of all the prizes they could win!!! Most people are brilliant but when I have met a few that start asking what's it for? when are you running? who are you running for? when will I have to pay?...then I tell them about the prize draw and it is a good clincher! There are some tight wads out there like the man who has sponsored us 50p FOR THE WHOLE MARATHON!!!! Now you know why I said it has been surprising.

Hope this might help anyone who like us have quite alot of cash still to raise. Good luck everyone. Happy running!
  • Options
    Another one I will try, I have a club place but would still like to do my best for my charity so have decided to target some local medium companies and ask for 10 pounds per mile! 4 OF THEM AND YOU'LL ACHIEVE MOST OF YOUR GB TARGET!! The pay back for the company could be free publicity in the local press if you can get them to do an article on you?!
  • Options
    Finally on a roll.Managed to get £900 so far from a raffle and going round with a tin at a party with very drunk people and a company who would match it!
    I am going to do a big dinner dance and raffle and get loads of people to take sponser forms!
    Think this should do it.
    Thank you all very much - gave me lots of enthusiasm and I still look at this thread when I need a boost!
    Good luck everyone else raising money.
  • Options
    Debs, well done - you've managed that so quickly! Should inspire all others with GB targets - best of luck with the BIG EVENT! - the dinner dance AND the FLM!!
  • Options
    you seem to have most of the ideas i've heard of. the only other thing - lots of schools have charity fundraising own clothes days/fairs etc. maybe you could be their charity?
  • Options
    My suggestion is to ensure that the first person on each of your sponsorship sheets is fairly generous - at least £1 per mile. I found that workmates, friends, tend to copy one another - so if the first person on the sheet sponsored me for £26 most of the others followed suit (with some doubling it). Get in early as well - particularly if anyone else in your place of work or circle of friends/acquaintances is running as well.

I may have been lucky but I was able to raise £1,200 or so just through straightforward sponsorship, and didn't need to do anything more imaginative. Good luck!
  • Options
    As I live in a little village it makes fund raising a little hard. There is always things on for raising money for guides, schools, the festival etc so no one is very interested in anything else. The big companies around don't seem to want to know either. What else can I do. Need to raise 750.00.
  • Options
    If you feel the people in your village have fundraising fatigue or a more concerned about local issues why not go a bit wider. Challenge some of your friends who live out of your area to fundraise for you. 10 friends at £75 each doesn't seem such a hard task.

Perhaps they can get their companies involved or can push round sponsorship forms (paper or online) at work.

Also some of them may be able to get hold of items that you can raffle and you might be able to split the proceeds at a local raffle if you can get a really good prize.

Free sponsorship webpages for the London Marathon.
  • Options
    I agree,I made over £300 with one raffle.
    Why not organise a dinner/dance.Many people offer venues for free I have found if you pay for food..Obviously you'd need to charge entry to cover food and entertainment but if you had a good raffle with donated prizes you'd make quite a bit and at least you'd know most people coming so wouldn't need to pay security!
  • Options
    If you have a dinner dance I would recommend having a tombola. In the past they have raised upto £400 on their own. Local firms seem to like giving prizes rather than cash. Our local Boots, WHS etc all gave good quality items. I also hope to have a dinner dance this year and will be asking favours of a local band as well as trying to line up an intersting guest speaker. Good Luck
  • Options
    Am going to ask sister if she could attend some car boot sales in her part of the country and do childrens face paintings as she is really good at it. Do you think this would work? Also my son in law is a singer and lives in Blackpool. Might try and see if he could organise a Karaoke night. Has anyone tried the schools for sponsored spells, reads etc and does this work?
  • Options
    See how when you think laterally and include your friends and family as part of your "fundraising team" some really good ideas come out.

You might also want to look at a whole cornucopia of A-Z ideas from the charity challenge website.
  • Options
    Thanks Mecca. Hopefully little sister will help as she is a runner also so will understand.
    Youngest Daughter works for the IR so hopefully she will fund raise there. Will let you know how things go.
  • Options
    Every penny counts I suppose, I put a big cadbury's roses tin out and told everyone at my work to put in all there 1p 2p 5p 10p coins. It has only been going a day and there is about £4 in there already and there are only 15 of us.There are a couple of 20p's and a 50p So by my calculations that will be about £200 by the time 13th April comes around. Even if it dies out and I get half that - it will still count. Anyway other than that you have to try and recruit friends and family to help you.
  • Options
    Don't think I've seen it mentioned by anyone else but a sweepstake on your finish time is quite easy to arrange. How small you make the intervals depends on how many tickets you think you can sell (eg 30mins either side of your target time with intervals of 15 secs gives around 240 tickets). Obviously you need to put up a prize which could be a percentage of the pot or bottle of bubbly, crate of beer or something.

You can even run two simultaneously, one on your gun time, the other on your chip time.
  • Options
    A nice trick if you are asking local companies for money is to put in a stamped address envelope that way they will feel obliged to at least send something!
  • Options
    This is to Julie Froggart - I like your idea of a beer festival, can you give me any more details about how you went about organising it. For example do you need a license, bouncers etc