Options

running in this heat

2»

Comments

• Options
    If its exceptionally hot (ie over say 27 or 28 with no breeze) or excessively humid I just miss a run if the early morning / evening option isn't viable. After all I'm sure it will soon be back to a more temperate feeling.

Not worth over cooking! You won't loose any fitness etc through missing the odd day.
  • Options
    Having said that i was out cross training on my bike at 8am - the family seem to be used to me now.
  • Options
    Welsh AlexWelsh Alex ✭✭✭

I ran this evening. Could only manage 6.66km.

Strange !
  • Options
    Welsh AlexWelsh Alex ✭✭✭

I guess this should definatley be a "Hot Thread"
  • Options
    it rained here today - oh how i wished i had saved my run til today!!.
    Still got to run tomorrow though, hoping it stays cool, but at least i have all this helpful advice to get me round - and the knowledge that i am not the only one
    Well done to everyone who struggled round in the heat!
  • Options
    i only managed a mile tonight

still, did it in 8.38 minute miles

including a brief stop to post fathers day card

was quite pleased with that but no way could I have gone further

mind you, I could have and should ahve slowed down
  • Options
    YoungPupYoungPup ✭✭✭
    I've only just cooled down enough to stop my fingers slipping of the keys with all the sweat poring out of them!

I did 4 fairly hilly miles at about 6.30pm, and it was hard! I was plodding along at a fairly slow pace (11.30m/mile), and managed to almost empty my 2 water bottles, but it was definitely not what you'd call a fun run - However, I did see 17 rabbits and loads of squirrels, and it made the ice cold Kronenbourg taste even better than normal, so I guess I'm glad I did it.

According to my 625x the average temparature was 88 degrees Fahrenheit, which I think is about 30 Celsius. I really hope it's cooler tomorrow am!?
  • Options
    BeansBeans ✭✭✭
    I did go out after all at 9:15. Norn Iron is not as hot as rest of UK and a nice breeze had blown up. I was so glad I did! Even though I go exceptionally slow on my walk/run beginners prog, I managed to go even slower, and enjoyed my 40 minutes immensely. I feel all proud of myself now!
  • Options
    the humidity probably makes it worse in some ways

try soaking those caps in icy water (or tie some ice cubes into that rolled up bandana round your neck!)

oh and the ice cold beer afterwards - make sure you rehydrate properly first before you drink the beer - alchohol will dehydrate you even more
  • Options
    I hear u! I'm running in a gym in Japan, with no air con or fan and it's humid as hell. Today I was bright red, dripping sweat from places I didn't know could sweat and dying quietly. Pleasurable??!
    It's just gonna get hotter and more humid - like working out in a steam room. I can't quit running and my gym is free so what to do?!
  • Options
    Agree with going out as early as possible - I went out at 5 today!

Also, being rather rorund and wobbly I don't like wearing just my bra (which looks like a crop top) on it's own so I wear my baggy gilet, I get a bit of a breeze without feeling exposed!
  • Options
    I decided to do a 10 k yesterday in the lovely heat, I found that getting yourself over-heated and rather delirious helps, before you know it you forget about the heat and running due to the hallucinations.
    I was on top of the world by the time I had finished, with my second skin affect soaked clothes, slicked down hair and bug caked face (sweat is like glue to those critters).

I highly recommend it.
  • Options
    I did 10M yesterday in the afternoon heat (part of a 10x10M relay)Was 20 mins slower than expected and wouldn't have got round but for Mrs RD driving round with me and passing me water every mile.
    Best advice is don't run if its too hot. Potential for serious problems through heat exhaustion whereas a day off won't do any harm.
  • Options
    Dan.Dan. ✭✭✭
    i did the blackpool marathon yesterday in 30 degree heat - not recommended!
  • Options
    I compromised by doing a brisk 13 mile walk yesterday and going swimming on Saturday.

I was able to do these with other people so I didn't miss out on enjoying the weather with friends as well. Out tonight for a run - as forest runner says, the only way to deal with it is to get used to it.
  • Options
    Hoped for a lovely hot run today and was planning to do it around midday. It was very wet and thundery at that time, but the sun had come out again by 2:00pm.

I went out with short and Nike Free trainers (no socks) and vest in hand (just in case) as well as a drink. Glorious weather for 6 or 7 miles and then the rain came, and then the thunder and lightning. My Nike Free trainers got totally waterlogged and were so squelchy that I had to cut 2.5 miles off my planned 14 miles.

I need more, not less, hot weather. It's bound to be hot at Wycombe in two weeks time and I want to be ready for it.