Options

Ironman - Switzerland - RW Virtual Supporters Club

Comments

• Options
    lol-hmmm, he drives like a tw@t, eats too many pies and has history of recreational drug abuse. Maybe theres something in this!!
  • Options
    a numpty tour de france cyclist

:-)
  • Options
    so are all you loyal supporters going to continue your good work by coming to get drunk tomorrow?
  • Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Is it OK if I show solidarity by getting drunk here instead?
  • Options
    good work shambler.

ss- No!
  • Options
    I can't come tomorrow - sorry chaps.

:o(
  • Options
    Can I do an online “virtual” race report of the day….?

Pirate Virtual Support was consisted mainly of Waaaaaaaabit, Iron Rose, Foggyone, Miles To Go, Imp, Ergophobic, Ferrous Ferret, Debbo, Meldy and Sezz interspersed with visits from the whole of the regulars including myself, Jon, M and a whole bunch of others. The main thing about this was to keep the thread on the top of the general page and on top of the ‘last posts’ page so that everyone knew how our crew were doing. All the people supporting had absolutely no idea where the team were in the race and what they were physically looking like, how they were doing. This had to be the biggest gathering of RW forum-vibes I’ve ever seen (it got Jon to a PC on a Sunday so it had to be good!)

So the morning started with the manic Waaaabit psyching everyone up to keep the support crew going. As the race kicked off some of us settled in for 15+ hours of hitting F5 to ensure that the whole of the forum were updated with where our kids were and what was happening. We had no idea where in the course they were, what they were looking like, what they felt like. We speculated on the heat, the pain, the torment and the agony… and still we sat and waited and watched the numbers coming out of the data stream from IM live and the other site that we used. http://services.datasport.com/2005/tri/ironman/RANG093.HTM All the time hitting the buttons and completely updating each time (learning to type fast as you go is a must).
  • Options
    Initially there were hiccups with PC’s receiving data (mine crashed twice) and times getting buggered up. There were highs and lows as we realised that there was stuff going on that we were way behind with. One by one we watched the times coming in for the swim… we were aching and willing them in onto the shore one by one and each time a time came in – someone pressed F5 and cut and posted. We waited and panicked and worried and sent thoughts and encouragement as DD’s time was last to come in.

At 08:21:50 we realised the first finisher was in… absolutely awesome at the same time as we hear via text that Cougie has set off on his run. We speculated and worried that the winner had cheated (joking of course). No worries, where are our guys…? All the time, the phones are ringing, texts flying backwards and forwards between England, Switzerland, oop North, down south etc etc. Everyone is wanting to make sure we stay on track. Everyone is watching the figures… the swim times are in and the guys are on the bike. Then Debbo posts that TC has finished his bike section and there is awe as people realise the boy is on for a bliddy good go at this. Gradually bike times start to come in and we realise there’s a bu99er up going on with either the data feed or the chips. Waiting through the times for finishing each lap is agony.
  • Options
    The bike times are bu99ered but as the run lap times start coming in we realise that various pirates are on the marathon run and we’re looking at the home straight. Waaaaaaabit is still doing the psyching everyone up thing and I have to say, think I would have collapsed with the tension if it weren’t for that bunny hopping around the screen. At 4.10pm (UK time) someone realises that TC is on the home lap and his lap splits are looking pretty even… it quickly becomes apparent that he’s going to be first home. At 16.30 a couple of data feeds fail – Waaaaaaaabit’s is one of them so we’re down to a couple of updaters and huge encouragement. There’s confusion about times and then someone starts updating positioning as well as times and we realise that all the pirates are not too far apart and the tension is unbelievable.

Then at 16:44 TC’s time is 10:44 with 200m to go and we’re frantically hitting F5 and waiting for the boy to come home. Amazing stuff. Absolute euphoria hits the forum when his time hit’s home… then we start looking to see who’s next home and so it continues for the next 5 hours. It’s immensely tense and traumatic. Sitting in front of the screen unable to do more than update and post encouragement as each Pirate comes home. Horrendous scrolling through the data feed positioning things to find out where everyone is. There are highs and lows and mishaps as we realise Cougie’s not about to finish and the data stream has him at the 200m stage for more than 2.5 hours!!!! Positioning gives us a good idea who is with who and where… we see FB and Mmm come in more or less together… Cougie and Garr running more or less together. We see ghosts laid to rest. PB’s set and all of it with actual taking part, physical support and screaming and shouting and virtual hugs and support back home. It was a huge day to be there…. But it was a huge day to watch on the sidelines too.

Well done chaps.

• Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Sorry guys, by the time Ms Slug gets home from work tomorrow it will be too late to travel up to London - especially as we are both 'racing' the next day. I promise that we will raise a glass or 2 in your honour though.
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    I can't come either - too far from Edinburgh, and anyway I'll be too busy training for IM germany 2006.
  • Options

70 mile bike ride, Debbo???? :o)

• Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Nah, just a few miles running. I am going for a bike ride now though for an hour. ;)

I hope you're going tomorrow Wabbit, so you will be convinced about moving from the maybes to the definites.
  • Options

I can't make tomorrow. I would love to go but I have a friend's wedding!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

;o)
  • Options
    ...and to compliment CADs report, a big up to Cath who was also one of the data distribution team.
  • Options
    That was a great report Cath xxxx
  • Options
    Tee hee hee - good report Cath !
    x
  • Options
    Hey guys,

Just uploaded the final set of photos here.

There are a few others so if you want them for your own photo albums, email me and I'll send them over.

All the best and thanks for a great weekend.

Daniel RW
  • Options
    That pic of Dick... With his top undone...

I'm rendered speechless.
  • Options
    Oooh Jon - read that post wrong then

:-O
  • Options
    and thankyou... thankyou

<takes a bow>

I ended up with cramp in my right thumb for most of monday!

;o)
  • Options
    next year the pirates are going to germany!

woo hoo

see the thread on tri.
  • Options
    I'm not coming. No.

Honestly, I'm not.
  • Options
    CAD you know you want to :o)
  • Options
    Great virtual report there....accurately sums up what I read when I got back....Well done guys!
  • Options
    wow have just caught up with all this thread, what a completly nerve racking day you guys must have had waiting for us all to come in
    do you have any finger nails left?!
    my race report is still in my head, but I will try and do it today, but it was a truly awesome day, the support on the course from other pirates and spectating pirates was just amazing and I dont think I would have got round with out it.

mike looking through your photos they look good

iron rose, in answer to your questions a few pages back
    me and dave have just had our tattoos done!
    yes we will do another IM

thanks again for everyones support
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    Couldn't think of which thread to boing with this vitally important question, probably best answered by Carl, Smiffy or Cougie:

What flavour were those HORRID Pringles they sold at the Jugendherberge?

FFFers need to know.