4. North Downs
5. Swinley Forest, Bracknell

Comments

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I only ride at Swinley so thats my vote sorted
  • Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    since the start of this year I have been out on my MTB precisely once (all this stoopid Ironman training) - but had a great day on 2nd January at Afon Argoed............wheeeeeeeeeeeee...........
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Ironman does that to you
  • Options
    The biking places I have been to all seem very similar and I can't remember which was which.
    Afon Argoed, Cefn Coed, Coed Y Brenin and another in S Wales are the Mtn bike areas I've been to, but have also mtn biked in alot of other places that are not specifc biking areas, like the Gower, Peak District, N Wales, Wiltshire Downs, Exmoor, Dartmoor, Lakes, in fact anywhere where there is a network of bridleways is good.

Colin
  • Options
    So is it purpose built trails or natural?

I like a bit of both, the purpose built trails are almost like fun parks the riding is so good. I did the Skyline at Afan and the final descent had me laughing like a loon. Still think you cant beat riding far out on bridleways.

Gobi, I think Swinley has come on so much - totally noticed this when I went back recently for the first time in a few years. The only one big downfall, its Bracknell (I used to live in the area 13 years ago).
  • Options
    Went over to Bringe wood by Ludlow on Saturday. First time on mtb for 12 months and straight into a full on downhill course. Loved it though and some nice xc riding on surrounding hills in Mortimer forest.
  • Options
    Hi i was in les gets in the french alps a few weeks ago and it is magic the best mt biking in the world they say.No black runs for me but the other stuff was great .
  • Options
    I like to hear it hillrunner. We are going to Les Carroz just down the road this summer and a trip to the Portes du Soleil will definitely be on the agenda. What sort of bike would you get away with in Les Gets?

I was in Austria a couple of years back and went to this place
    leogang
    the freeride course was just about enough for me.
  • Options
    Hi gary we went with crystal active £180 for a week half board plus bikes magic.The best bike i used was £2500 specialized enduro great bike .The black runs are mad full cover or you break something.I spoke to a mad english man there and his front forks cost £700 and his bike £3500 he said les gets is the best he has been all over the world and done them all.The best thing they like are all the lifts up but i like to ride up the hills and do long distance don`t want more injury problems email me and i will send some pics of les gets.
  • Options
    not much use to you over in England, but near to us there's a new MTB park with over 300km of riding to suit all levels from basic easy beginner up to tough hilly and technical. Haven't tried it yet because like most of you I'm too busy road training at present. We'll try it out in the autumn.
  • Options
    Sounds good hillrunner, you have some mail.

• Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Have you tried the Ridgeway in Wiltshire?

My sister used to live between Devizes and Pewsey just off the Kennet and Avon Canal so I'd often pop up to the Ridgeway from there and head along to Avebury. It fits into the natural trail category I expect but also has some good stony rough sections to belt down on. Not particularly technical unless you deliberately look out for tricky patches or you count bombing along deep tractor wheel grooves with no more than an inch or two margin for error as technical!

Should be easy enough to do on a cheap day return to Pewsey or something. (if coming from London)
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Ah yes, another mentioned some time ago.

The grassy downhill at the Queen Elizabeth country park just off the A3 - got over 40mph on it once so pretty quick for an MTB. Do not do without front suspension!

(it's also part of the South Downs Way of course)
  • Options
    I've heard good things about Bracknell and Epping Forests... Never been there though.

Leith Hill in Surrey is certainly worth a lookee...
  • Options
    Both good areas.

There are endless opportunities in the South Sowns of course. Excellent riding although the chalk is a bit dodgy when its been raining.

We are going to do the Malverns and Cotswolds in a couple of weeks so if anyone has any good mtb routes they could mail me I would be well appreciative.
  • Options
    MMmmm's the man to chat to about that area...
  • Options
    Gary
    Depending on what part fo London you're in, a trip to either Woburn, Ashridge, Chicksands or Wendover might be worth your while.
    There's a very good circuit (36miles) of off road around the Christmas common area, off the M40?
    I'm always prepared to show people around.

From your list the Peaks get my vote, it's a massive all year round playground.
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    I was thinking of getting a 2nd hand MTB - I've no idea about sizing - I ride a 59cm road bike - can anyone advise what size MTB I should be looking for please?

I want it for following the kids on cycle trails but I might go out on our cycling club's MTB rides too.
  • Options
    B-boing

Cotswolds and then Cwmcarm again at the weekend. Cwmcarm was absolutely awesome this time and the downhill course looks nearly there (no fkg way will I go down it though).

popsider, the only thing I know about mtb frames is to get them a little smaller than your road bike frame to get a bit more standover height. Saves your nuts.
  • Options
    Hamstley forest - nr bishop aukland (northeast)
    Glentress Forest - nr peebles (scotich borders)
  • Options
    Big fan of Afan, but who isn't? For pure up-and-down entertainment however, give me Betws-y-Coed anyday! Last big climb sepatates the men from the boys (however, I'm generally one of the latter :( ).

Before moving away, used to do a lot of riding around Epping forest. It would be a good fun ride, but for all the daaah-lings on their little horses. Good fun for night rides though.

There's obviously plenty of people keen on the south wales tracks though - should we organise a bit of a bash; if for nothing else than to savour the deep-fried bacon butties at Afan?
  • Options
  • Options
    It is a very good plan - if fact I'm off to have a bacon buttie right now...

But what about the ride - do we need to book these things way in advance like these Iron-wottsits do, or should we say Afan car park in about an hour?

I'm loathed to start a list as they always look so confussing - a bear of very little brain.
  • Options
    No keener on the South Wales tracks than the North Welsh equivalent wickett, its just that Afan and Cwmcarm are a little quicker to get to than Coed-Y-Brenin. I would like to do Betws-y-coed as well soon though.

• Options
    Popsider

IME mountainbikes come in a smaller range of sizes.
    S,M,L and XL or 16",18" and 21" approx.

I'm 5'8" and can get away with a S, M is usually a little outstretched. My training partner is 5'11" and uses either a M or 18".
    We both race solo 24's on these size frames, so the rule of thumb method seems to work.

Also it's easier to size up a bike with longer cranks, stem and post. Rather than downsize a big frame.

Hope this helps a little.

• Options
    My position exactly Gary - like them all for different reasons, but with Afan & Cwm Cairn just off the M4, they're quicker & easier to get to.

September enough notice, anyone?
  • Options
    When I was there, there was a queue for the bacon sarnies an hour long! Don't forget to book!
  • Options
    Was the delay due to the way they so carefully prepare the meals - i.e. all dropped in the deep fat fryer. I think it must be the careful preparation of side garnishes that takes the time (finding the Daddies sauce).

It all sounds so wrong, but tastes so..., well, it's food isn't it?
  • Options
    I never made it back in time for food. The Skyline trail took a little longer than expected and everywhere had closed. Luckily it was still light (just).

• Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    THanks Carl and others. I'm 6'1 and a bit so I suppose a standard large MTB would do me - or about 20 inches - does that sound about right? My road bike is 59cm centre to centre. I know I should sit on it but I was thinking of looking on ebay and buying like that.

Are mudguard eyes useful or are those crud catcher things enough - I don't mind getting mucky if I was doing some real off road stuff but sometimes if you are just cycling on a trail with the kids you can do without a line of crap up your back just because it's a bit damp.