Options

Scottish Runners

Comments

• Options

I'm having a rest day today, whilst I try to get this niggly hamstring sorted out. Been out for a walk in the sleety wet Yuk!!

Enjoy your hols Tricia image.

This year so far I have entries for (takes deep breath): FFB's Half, Thames Path 100, Fling, South Downs Way 100 and the Devil O'Highlands.....that takes me through to August, then I think I might need a rest imageimage!

Talking of which, I'm having totally no joy trying to find accommodation in Tyndrum for August - very curt email response from Hostel / Campsite this morning was not appreciated image!!! There are ways of saying things without being off-hand to your potential customers.........and in any case I cannot believe they are so busy they dont even have a blade of grass to put a tent on imageimage!!! Think it is more a case of they cannot be arsed taking the booking. Anyway Boo to them, they were my first choice for convenience to the race start, but after that rudeness I will place my money elsewhere image!

• Options

TP - what about Bridge fo orchy? It is only 7 miles up the road if that. There is the hotel and I think a hostel/bunkhouse.

I am on a rest day too, although I might do a bit of upper body strength work once baby FFB has removed all her art work from the living room floor. Older baby FFB deposited in Edinburgh earlier today.

Only 60 places left at Loch Katrine image I might increase the limit a bit knowing that there is genrally a 25% - 30% no show rate on the day.

• Options

That's a lot of long races TP and FFB.

Good 9 miles in Fife today. Right ankle a bit stiff now; must do some stretching.

Great that Loch Katrine filling up FFB.

• Options

Thanks FFB - will try Bridge of Orchy if I get no joy elsewhere. Currently looking at Strathfillan camping, but slightly more expensive than I was expecting image.

Good idea re.extra places for Katrine, always folks drop out nearer the time.

Be careful on your ankle Alison.

• Options

wow FFB, Cragchick and TP. that's an impressive year lined up already. pretty full on.

nice walk along the Kelvin today to see friends and give their 18 month old her overdue Christmas present then wentto see The Hobbit. which is fantastic by the way.

no running today as i couldn't be arsed. next week though the miles start to pile up. looking forward to Loch Katrine, even if it is hilly so what, beautiful part of the world.

• Options

Morning. a bit to catch up on.

Wet out here when I was out.

Morning Tri.

• Options

Morning

Yeah Loch Katrine should be good, I have only ever been a couple of miles along, walking, so it will be good to see more of it image.

Got myself a camping wigwam booked for 3 at Strathfilan, only a couple of miles from Tyndrum, basic but we will be in it for such a short time it won't matter. Works out roughly the same price as we would have paid at the hostel in Tyndrum, but looks a lot nicer image.

A B+B in Tyndrum offered me a double room for 2 for £82 image!!!! Aye, that'll be right - I have to register by 5.30am, so would hardly be in the room at all, and one of the support crew would have to sleep in the car image. B+B's used to be a good value option cf hotels, now they just seem to charge huge amounts image.

Off to try out a run in a while.

Hope your ankle is okay Cragchick.

January = time for niggles I think image. Too cold, where's the warm weather?

• Options

Morning all. Another boo: this time to Icebreaker. Bah humbug. They tantalisingly asked me for additional contact details and I though yeh: but it was only to send me a polite knock back.

Yep, B&Bs are getting rpicey these days. I have actually found that you can often get a hotel for the same price! Obvioulsdy, tyndrum does not have many options, to they really have you and they know when to charge the high rates.

• Options

morning BM and everyone else...

later to check in this morning... week 2 of training plan, have already been for daily swim session for this week (2k) and some shopping. Housework now before heading into town to meet bf for lunchimage. Its a lovely day here. Sunny, clear and cold. Turbo this afternoon then reps with club tonight. A great start to the week I think.

Ended up climbing all day yesterday as the weather was pretty dismal. Feeling it today as haven't been since before xmas (other than visiting a centre in Ireland). Great strength training.

CC, TP and FFB all great races lined up!!! Impressive!!! I have probably have too many to rhyme off but erm, I'll try... it starts with the Devil's Burden off road/mountain relay on the 9th Feb and National XC 23rd. (club races).

March is busy with Lasswade 10M, Demon Run 10M, Loch Katrine, Alloa Half and Edinburgh Sprint Tri 23rd. (same day as Nigel Barge 10k so looking like I'll miss that one for the 1st time in a few years!).

April- Triathlon training camp in Mallorca 6-13th and 20th-21st Forest hills Olympic Triathlon.

May-Bishopbriggs sprint tri-5th, Cape Wrath 12-19th, Jura weekend (bf doing fell race, not me!!) but some some hiking, swimming and mtb will be done. Polaroids 10ks are a maybe. Will be missing Women's 10k again as its the same day as the sprint tri.

June-Greaves 10k (missed it last year so definitely in this year!), JogScotland 5k, Bellahouston Harriers 10k, Loch Carron OW Sprint Tri-8/9th. Ayr OW Sprint, Tignabruich OW Sprint. No long races post marathon.

July - probably Big Fun Run (only because I can place in it image).

August-OW Olympic Tri,

September - Half IM in Channel Isles. 2 weeks after will be cycling the Danube.

OK not much else at the moment.... Hope you are all still awakeimage

Right best get the housework done...

• Options

Looks like I may be able to do the W10k as well... hmmm....image Crazy is as crazy does!!

• Options

UTC, that is some schedule. come october you'll be knackered!!! imageimage

miserable 6 miles this morning in the freezing rain/sleet. didn;t start snowing till i was back home and tucking into my porridge. think i would have preferred the snow to the rain and sleet. but thankfully it wasn;t slippy underfoot so not too slow.

so far i just the katrine half in march and angus half in april lined up. definitely going for glen clova half in november but that is a looong way off yet.

• Options

I'll enter Loch Katrine today... yes LB I like to challenge myselfimage Tbh a couple of the tri's in June Im not sure of dates, so they are maybe's. W10k is a maybe as are Polaroids. I would like a good 10k this year as my 10k's were a disaster last year....image

Oh yeah and Glen Ogle in November image

Bf didnt get the job in Californiaimage but there are other options which may still involve a move. Lots of discussions to be had.

• Options

Wow UTC.

By the way down to only about 40 places left at Loch Katrine.

• Options

Lol UTC, you sure like to cram them in image........course, I never listed the 'short' races image, of which, errrrrm.....I will probably just do Balfron 10k imageimage! That will be my wee sprint for the year image!

Boo to another 'no' FFB. Someone will say yes soon.

Worst price I ever got quoted for a bog standard B+B was £120 in Orknery during St Magnus Festival. I was desperate to get off the campsite so went to the Tourist Info to see what was available....even the girl in there was like 'Errrrrrrm?? image!!! Do they get any specials with that?' LOL Outrageous!!!!

• Options

Oh and Kirki 12.5k... the list gets longer... thats great FFB I'm entering nowimage

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I've signed up for the half at Loch Katrine. I'm using it as a training run for the Paris marathon. Not been out that way for years, so really looking forward to it.

• Options

Races planned this year so far are Smokies 10, Loch Katrine marathon, Perth 50K, Highland Fling, Cateran 55, Great Glen Ultra, British Ultrafest 6-day, Glenmore 24 & Glen Ogle image

Thats a shame about the accommodation TP, hope it wasn't By The Way was it?

Hope the ankles clear up Alison & cragchick.

Boo to Icebreaker FFBimage

Thats a shame about the job UTC, hope he gets something else sorted.

• Options

Just back from Pilates. Ankle seems ok.

Only races I've entered so far are the Smokies 10 and Run Garioch 10k. Will probably also do Loch Leven half again, and Orchil 10k in June. Probably Forfar 10k in August as quite local for me, and Templeton 10 in November - relly enjoyed it last year.

Boo to Icebreaker ffb.

• Options

Just back from hill reps... phew 12 reps including full circuit reps (ie up the hill around the circuit and back down... painful, but strangely fun. Very cold out though!!image).

Thats a pity about the knock backs FFB, fingers xd you get something soon. Bf has had his current contract extended by a further 6 months and has a few things in the pipeline so not too worried.

Hope all the niggles sort themselves out, agree the cold weather doesn't help!!

Lots of Ultras going on on here!! I think 1 is enough for me, especially as it nearly wrecked me last year, body isn't acclimatized to the really long stuff yet. (She says after entering her 1st Half IMimage... that's different though.... ).

• Options

Morning you lot

4m Steady on a cold and frosty morning. Brrr. Okay run. Much better than in wind and rain.

Morning Tri

Nephews 21st today so he's coming through from Edinburgh to see us.

Catch up time now over coffee

• Options

morning all, a short 4.5 miles last night (I thought the route was 5 miles until I measured image). Anyway, it was hill work so short and tough. Spin bike and abs tonight, and maybe weights.

Someone coming to look at our sofa with a view to repairing the 2 broken springs and making a new loose cover. It will be expensive but beats replacing the sofa.

• Options

morning BM and FFBimage

just heading to gym shortly, for class and swim.

run, cycle and more classes tonight. Good day ahead.

FFB, know the feeling on hill work, I sounded asthmatic at times last night.....

Hope the sofa isn't too expensiveimage

• Options

Morning all

MrsMac - nice list of races there image. I would like to do the Cateran one year, but it always seems to clash with something else. Re. Tyndrum - yes, it was them, very disappointing customer service skills (or lack of) from whoever was answering emails this weekend image.

UTC - hope the training goes well this week.

FFB - good luck with the sofa repairs image!

Happy running everyone else. Bit icy here, I have to go out to the post office this morning, so its a good chance to check the surface conditions, otherwise it will be something indoors today.

• Options

Some good news: Berghaus has come back and said that they cannot provide product based sponsorship but they can provide essential kit at trade price image So, have asked them for advice on approriate outer layer kit.

The sofa will be pricey, but it is  sofa workshop one, and to replace it with like for like is just way too expensive at the moment. It is a good strong sofa which should do us a good few years with a couple of new springs and a new cover.

• Options

Goodness, a lot of race entries here! Well done all.

I'm a bit wary after last year to predict too much, so far entered Loch Katrine marathon, Cape Wrath - but probably only 3 out of the 5 days racing, Fling (still may be sensible and opt out), Hoy Half marathon and will then take stock and see what the rest of the year holds. Would like to do Harris half, langdale marathon and Glen Ogle later in the year but will not tempt fate at this point.

Shame about the kit sponsors FFB - there is a firm in Keswick doing British made merino stuff called EDZ, have a couple of their things and they are very nice and a little cheaper than icebreaker - worth contacting them?

Had a very busy but non running weekend visiting the kids in Edinburgh, quite logistically interesting trying to get all the kids to meet up but managed quite a lot, eating, cinema, shopping and up Arthurs seat and Calton Hill but only time for a run was Sunday morning and it was very sleety so I was lazy.image

Got out for a short one after work tonight, icy but not too slippery though someone else took quite a tumble just ahead of me, said he was fine, got up and ran on! Hopefully get a longer run in daylight tomorrow.image

Shame to be missing D33 but figured that it is an annual fixture whereas Katrine is a one off and sounds a more interesting run.

• Options

Morning you lot. Cold and frosty one again. Well it is January,

FFB: Good news re kit then.Hope you get your sofa sorted.

Morning Tri

cragchick: You seem to be training well.

• Options

morning.

off to the gym very shortly... 2 classes, swim, then run and bike this afternoon.

bf has a velodrome race tonight so will be going to watchimage

• Options

Morning all, 25k spin and some abs last night to get over the shock of the cost of the sofa repair imageimageimage. So 50% more than we thought, but only 1/3 of what it would cost to by a new similar sofa. But it will be an almost total refurbishment. The 2 broken springs will be replaced and any other that look dodgy, new loose cover, new cushion covers and re-stuffing of cushions plus arm covers.

Thanks for the EDZ tip Elspeth. I will take a look.

I have to find new shoes with a gortex membrane as my beloved Brooks will not be up to the environment image Need Glasgow to step up now cos I have a shop in Edinburgh offering a deal for some publicity image

Loch Katrine all but full. I have split the limit across the races. So the half and the 10k now have a 100 limit, and the marathon 50. Based on current numbers the half will be full, the 10k close to full. I suspect I won't get many more than the current 31 for the marathon, but hopefully it will edge up to 40ish.

Will try and fit in some weights today when I get home. We are going to the GFT tonight to see Chasing Ice.