Options

Scottish Runners

Comments

• Options
    I think it will end when we are all underwater Bedshaped image....thats what it feels like just now anyway image. Lashing wind and rain again here today, but its a rest day for me too, Phew to that too! image. Although I did have to walk to the shops so got soaked this morning, full waterproofs on just to go to the shops! Apparently we are heading for the wettest year in Scotland on record imageimage.
  • Options

A'noon.

Penguin: Agree with what Tom and Tigerspaw have said. Don't be put off, you're probably fitter than some club members.

Wet and windy again.

• Options

Tigerspaw: well done on your 11 M in this current weather.

On the way to work this morning, I saw somebody out running in just a Helly Hansen and shorts ! It was chucking it down and very windy !!

T

• Options

You are a tough bunch of runners bedshapped. I think I would be hibernating with those winds. When I lived in Oklahoma City , I went to a lake that I ran at. The wind was bending the trees double. I started to run , but I wasn't going anywhere, so I got back into the car and went home. I have problems if the weather is not  very cod , but damp. The feeling of being cold to the bone is tough to get going in.

Hope all of you have a good middle of the week. Tigerspaw on Thanksgiving, I will be looking to eat alot of Turkey and Pumpkin pie. Penguin hang in there. birkmeyer still reading born to run. Thanks to Karen D. I believe, the youtube pictures were great.

• Options

Shorts Birkmyre? image Brrrrrrrrrr, bet he had red legs! Notice how I said 'he' without actually knowing, cos its usually only men who are crazy enough to wear shorts at this time of year image.

I've been in long Ron Hills since start of November...........although I did see two people running toward me a few weeks ago when it was really quite cold and wet and horrid, and one person was all wrapped up cosy and jacketed, whilst the other had on shorts and a running vest! HAH, I thought, trust a bloke to be wearing that in these conditions.......LOL, but as they got closer I saw it was a man wearing cosy clothes and a woman in shorts and vest imageimage. So that was my prejudice put to the test imageimage.

Enjoy the pumpkin pie Tom, been a long time since I had that image. I've got a chicken ready to roast, probably gonna have it tonight, I usually wait until its christmas week to have turkey image. Strange these traditions, we wait all year to have one kind of food, then stuff ourselves with it for days on end. I could eat turkey dinner all year round actually image, roast potatos, parsnips, peas, carrots, gravy imageimage, roast dinner is just too good to resist when its done properly.

• Options

Thanks people i joined greenock harriers web site the day and membership is only around £35 a year so i may still do it image

went out last night at 10pm and did a 40 minutes run dont know how far cos i was sneeking about Industrial estates and housing estates trying to cheat the wind which was about 30 mph image

laters

• Options
    Tigerspaw , the good thing about once a year eating different foods , might fool the body on gaining extra weight. I read someplace, that somebody tried not eating the same foods day after day. I don't know about  that, but I am an habitual oatmeal and raisin eater eveymorning for breakfsat. Bought a commercial waffle iron and ordered glutten free premade waffle mix. Not sure on how fattening waffles are. I could see me turning into a blimp by the end of the year. Trying to incorporate some threshold training into my training based on Jack Daniels VDOT formulas. Problem is finding someone to run with that will push me in training. Lot easier to run faster when you are running with someone. Believe it or not I caught the sun out this morning when I ran about 8 miles. Glad to hear that the Penguin decided to go ahead an bite the bullet and join a club. At least enjoy the soicial aspects of it. I don't think I am ever satisfied with my training and race times, but that is okay. Keeps me from getting complacent. Always believe you can run faster. I still believe it is possible to run a PB at 60.
  • Options

Well done Penguin on going out running that late at night.....I'm more of a morning runner myself, usually ready for my bed by 10pm, Lol...sign of age image.

Tom, I know what you mean about running with someone else, I used to run with a friend occasionally, she was much faster than me over short distances 10k to about 10miles (she had never gone as far as marathon distance) and it really improved my pb's to train with her. Once it got into the 10m to 17m bracket (which was furthest we ever ran together) we evened out and she started dropping down to my speed, either that or my long distance endurance was better than hers, I was never sure which! She was never interested in entering races though, which I always thought was kinda strange, so we drifted apart a bit. I guess she liked to win, that was the problem, but her 7.45min miles which would beat me in training, wouldnt beat the fast 6min milers in a race!

• Options
    Tigerspaw, your friend never raced? That means in a race she possibly could have broken a 6 minute pace. Back when I was run 7.45 in training I was able to break 18 min in a 5k, run 37 min for 10k, break 6minute pace for 8 miles , and run 1:19 for the half. It would have been interesting to see what she could have done. I had a group of runners on a Sunday , that I believe today had me running cruise or tempo back then. We'd race on Saturday, do a long run on Sunday with hard bursts, then the next 5 days were easy days, but running 11 milers until the next race on Saturdays. How I miss running with someone. Its good to have  days by yourself and have days running with others. The social aspect of racing had converted me for life to be a runner. You have such a strong and supportive group on this thread , and I imagine what good times you have when you are able to meet and run races together. The weather yall have described recently would have eaten my lunch. Are you all expecting a harsh winter and do you feel confined to doing your training in doors? I imagine when you can you will be hitting it out doors. It is just unimaginable for me to try to run with 60 mph gusts. They are going to have to call bedshapped a real yetti.
  • Options

Nope she never raced Tom, I used to think it was a real shame, she was missing out on that whole side of things, but she was happy doing what she was doing, and personally I think it was more a psychological thing, about having to be in front of the pack all the time and maybe having doubts she couldnt keep in front. She always said she wasnt competitive, but I thought that was rubbish, she was always trying to race people and be in front, but wouldnt enter a 'real' race where this would be put to the test against the really fast people.

LOL at Bedshaped the Yeti image, that will be once it gets to January and we get snowed in but still have to get out to train. I saw a programme the other day about how to make snow shoes...might be useful image.

Its more usual round where I run and cycle for it to be 25-30mph winds, but it occasionally does get this wild here up to 60-70mph. This is my excuse for being a perpetual 10 min miler type runner, I never get the chance to try to go any faster because its usually a battle against some kind of weather. Good excuse for being a plodder image image.

• Options
    Tigerspaw all of my running friends I used to run with in Louisiana , all are sheepish about running the 10minute a mile pace. I am not satisfied with it , but I am thankfull that I am now able to get out and run. There was a time that I was beginning to wonder if that was a possibility . Now I am thinking that I can achieve even more with my impairments. Ran across the author, named Fitzegerald that is a strong believer in cross training  and has a book out on Brain Training. I know you enyoy biking and weight training. I do less weight training now but concentrate more on core exercises, ab wheel and Pec flys on a  Pec machine. Got my weignt down to 176 lbs for my 6'5" frame and pretty much happy with current diet.  All the off road racing training you do , should strengthen the ankles which in turn will keep you from having Plantar problems. I am still on the roads and asphalt trails, but like to read your threads on trail running.
  • Options

Oh you lot been gabbing. I've heard of that Brain Training for runners book too Tom, not bought it yet.

Yup windy and rainy here today but i managed a run past 2 mornings before the rain started.

That is odd about your pal Tiger. I had no inclination to race when i first started running, took me a year before i entered one. I like both, i like running with folk and also by myself. Longer runs definently with company, think there were over 20 of us 2 weeks ago and we just split naturally into groups of the same pace which is fantastic. Couldn't see me joining an official run club though, i just like running with like minded friends.

• Options

Tom - before I got the achilles niggles 2 years ago I was more a low 9min to 8.45min miler on training runs, this is why I find my 10mm now so frustrating, I think I have ran a route quite fast then I look at the average pace time on my garmin and it is always 10.00 to 10.20 depending on how hilly the run has been and the wind direction, but when I'm running it I feel like I've done it faster. Maybe average pace is not a good thing to use and I should be breaking it down more into the individual miles based on the course profile.

I'm the same Karen, I have no inclination to join a club and I like running by myself, but on the longer runs it certainly helps to have people there. In terms of entering events personally I think it gives me an aim for training, I know I wouldnt put myself through some of these long runs if it wasnt knowing it was all adding up to an end goal, and its given me some great excuses for taking holidays image. But ultimately its putting ourselves out there against other people, its a gauge of how we are doing at a particular time, I think my pal was scared of that, you know, that there were always going to be people out there she wasnt going to be better than. In that way I'm different to her because my aim is to cover distance safely and as easily (ie efficient running) as possible and it doesnt particularly bother me that half the field is going to finish before me image, I'm here to enjoy it, and if I can knock a few minutes off a marathon time all the better image. And I'm driven by mileage at the moment, obsessed by it image.

• Options

I think if this weather continues Yeti-like clothing may just be the answer!! Not looking forward to tomorrow's intervals which I'll have to do alone as I won't make the club image

Happy Thanksgiving Tom. Hope you have a good celebration. I'm with Tigerspaw, I could eat a good roast meal every week. Christmas dinner is just fabulous!!!

At least with your new cross trainer Tigerspaw you can train indoors now - bonus image

I like the more challenging stuff with other folk but long saunters I like to do alone. The wee voices in my head always keep me company image

• Options

I snook a wee gentle 35mins on the x-trainer tonight Bedshaped, even though this is meant to be a rest day, Oops! image. Gave me great joy to have the radio on whilst I watched the trees blowing about outside in this mentalist wind image.

I'm another one for singing little tunes to myself and letting my mind wander off on bizzarre thoughts on long runs image Lol, I enjoy the peace and quiet image....its when it gets into the 20's I start to think, actually it would be quite nice to have someone to talk to just now image. This is why I have been experimenting with coca cola for a good caffeine boost on the longer runs image.

• Options

lol Bebshaped, beware the wee voicesimage. I do like a good long run by myself now and again as proper thinking time, works wonders to right the worlds wrongs.

Tiger you mile monster youimage. Keep at it, i'll persuade you to sign up for the whw race one dayimage

• Options
    LOL imageimageimage. Now hang on a minute, theres mile monsters and mile monsters Karen image, your good self and Mr. Loon Dod are the ultimate mile monsters image. I'm still working at it, Tiger in training......but it does have a certain appeal this distance thing image.
  • Options
    I don't know about mile monster Karen, but you eat up the miles in the plural sense. Maybe a multi mile monster. Hang in there bedshaped, you must love the wind. Tigerspaw hope that your achiles problem goes away. All of you have a good start for tomorrow. Catch you later. I am 6 hrs behind your time.
  • Options

Heehee, see you used the word "appeal" Tiger, you are going to fall over into the dark side one day my dearimage.

I have visions of bedshaped hanging onto a lamp post out runing in the wind. Bit blue skies today and i got a little run again first thing. You have a good day again Tom.

• Options
    Hey Karen, going to get out the door before I catch some Turkey today. Waiting around till daylight. Temp around freezing.
  • Options

Enjoy the day Tom. Colder today here but finally no rain image.

Karen, I thought the dark side was triathlon image? No? I'm still safe within the realms of running and cycling image, just have this obsession in my head at the moment with increasing distance, fascinated by the thought of what its possible to do image. I just need to convince my legs they can keep up with my head and these racing thoughts image.

Nice 8.2m today in the sunshine, Yippeeeeee image what is this strange sensation of warmth on the back? Oh its the sun image long time no see.

Happy training everyone.

• Options
    Thanks TIgerspaw. I got in 7.7 miles this morning. The only problem was , my fingers got bit in dri fit Nike gloves just at freeze point , temperature wise. What kind of gloves? or do you layer 2 kind of gloves to keep fingers from getting cold. Have some wigwams, wool mittens. Should I wear dri fit with them over the lighter gloves? In later years I have been having problems with cold fingers.
  • Options

I use silk gloves, they are the liners from ski-gloves, quite hard to get hold of but some of the mountaineering shops stock them. Very light and thin but warm. Thats fine enough for running for me, but when I'm cycling my hands get really cold, so I use Altura waterproof gloves over the silk gloves, and if its very cold and wet I will also put on a pair of woollen fingerless gloves between the two.

I get some of the symptoms of Reynaulds syndrome, very cold hands from winter cycling, to the point I cannot grip my keys to open the door when I get home, and then pain in the finger bones when they start to warm up again. But the silk gloves have really helped with this, I rarely get problems now unless I have got very wet and chilled.

Note: Altura waterproof cycling gloves only seem to be able to cope with a small amount of Scottish rain! If its teaming down they just get soaked through, but at least they stay warm image.

• Options
    Thanks Tigerspaw, I wondered if anyone else had the problem with cold fingers; now i know.
  • Options
    You got sunshine Tigerimage. I've had that tingly white fingers and toes a couple of times lately, it might be something to do with soaking feet and hands though for a long period of time. Last long run i did my gloves were soaked for hours. I've got my sealskinz socks for the weekend sorted but i can't wear them too long and i must get some sealskinz gloves i think.
  • Options

Hi Guys,

you lot can fair blether image

I've been quiet as I'm trying to build my base fitness again, I seem to have got a lot slower over the last few weeks !

I was running 8:15s but I now seem to be back up at 9:30-10:00.
    Last week was 3x 5milers and a 7miler on sunday.
    This weeks plan is more of the same, had a cracking 4 miler yesterday morning in the howling gales - even the dog thought twice about coming out image
    Nites last nite so slept today (no run), nite again tonite but need to force a run tomorrow...

Also did a 3/4 mile swim yesterday (in case I wasnt wet enough after the run) so slowly building the swimming back up as well.
    Now just need to stop ignoring that I hate cycling lol.

Karen, was there not a 'shorter' cateran race a couple of years ago ??
    Seem to remember it was around 20 miles ??

• Options
    Yeah there's the 23 mile race Adbru, done it twice. My longer one way way better thoughimage. Keep at it, the wind fairly hinders the pace indeedy.
  • Options

I have some cheap gloves from the supermarket. £1 for 2 pairs (kids ones for little people). Bargain image  Last year I spent lots of cash on some fancy Ron Hill ones and bliddy lost them!!!

Oooh check you Tigerspaw looking for the longer miles image  There is definitely a big appeal being out on foot for hours on end.

Keep it going Adbru, you'll get there again. I'm kinda the same actually. No speed at all just now and zilch stamina either image

Must sleep, tennis been going on too long. WTF is Roger playing at??? He's got Andy out now the dope image

• Options
    bedshapped, ever get your fingers cold running in your super market gloves or do you modify them in some way. Meaning do you put a sock over them when it gets too cold?
  • Options

Ditto on the feeling like a slow poke at the moment image. I'm sure some amount of speed will return once its Spring and its not blowing a gale image........seems like a long time to wait though image.

When I was out the other day running against the wind it reminded me of my old Tae Kwon Do class when we would have someone hold you from behind by the belt, then you would have to try and sprint across the hall whilst they held on and 'surfed' behind you image (hint: make sure you partner up with someone that only weighs 9st image). Thats fine for sprints in the gym but a bit wearing when you're outside and it seems to be going on forever image....and its uphill image.

God no wonder I'm knackered just now image image.

Lol Bedshaped - yeah 'Highland Fling' springs to mind image you mad thing image.....actually I was reading their website and taking a look at the entry form only yesterday image image Uh oh must resist!!