Options

Scottish Runners

Comments

• Options
    Freefall - Good idea, since my track record of meeting people in pre arranged places is terrible! I will email you my mobile number too. Really fancy the 20 miler on Easter Monday, but as you say we can have a chat about it on the 4th.
  • Options
    Hello All,

I have just "stumbled" on this thread while trying to kill an hour or so before going out to the gymn.

I live in a small coastal town near Edinburgh and am desperately trying to find "local" ie within 20miles 5/10k races but keep getting nothing but tons of English races or Scottish marathons when I try search engines.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks all.
  • Options
    Sarah A,
    Welcome!!

There are masses of races for you to choose from. I tend to work on within an hour's drive for a 10k, 2 hrs for a half and have plenty of choice. I live in Glasgow.

Check out the Scottish Atletics Federation website, and also the RW events pages have a pretty comprehensive list if search under Scotlant in the 'Region' dropdown.

There will be the Race for Life series of 5ks over the summer and they are run in most of the scottish cities and towns (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Stirling, Perth etc).

As for 10ks there are too many to list but there is the big Ladies 10k here in Glasgow on May 16th. A few of the others that i can remember are Kirkintilloch (june), Crieff (July), Perth (aug), Stirling (sep), Glasgow (aug, along with a half).

There is a taster for you, and I am sure that the others on this thread will have others to suggest
  • Options
    Thanks Freefall bunny,

I did the Race for Life Stirling last year plus a 3K at Falkirk and the 10K Great Scottish run, just wondered what else is out there.
  • Options
    Any Scottish marathoners doing Paris this weekend Good Luck ..... Anyone doing Rotterdam instead? See you at O'Sheas nearby the finish after the race. Oh feck where has the last three months gone?
  • Options
    Pulled out of Paris due to shin-splints...need to find something else but maybe on Scottish soil. unfortunatly can't do Edinburgh again this year.
  • Options
    Count - Lochaber at end of April??? I think that they take entries fairly late.
    Loch Ness at beginning of Oct. Other than that if you are loking for things on Socttish soil you will have to content yourself with halfs
  • Options
    Dont forget also, Hill Races (Ben Lomond for example) or if you can pedal as well as run, the Corrieyairack Challenge (3rd July)both well recommended.

• Options
    EEyin - Good luck in Rotterdam.

Count - Thre is also Moray at the end of August, I think, don't know anything else about it though.
  • Options
    Stu92Stu92 ✭✭✭
    Hill running events can be found at

http://www.shr.uk.com/
  • Options
    Cheers ICO ....... Im feeling a little more confident after a strong 12 miler last night 1:31 with a small backpack .....

project today is to see if a date for Ben Lomond is changed from TBA
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Sarah - Glad you found the site!
    There is also the Edinburgh 10k in September. I notice that RW magazine this month describes the course as ´fast and flat´. Hmmm. I don´t think they have run it!! It´s a good one though too.
    I´m in Spain - still no running and my ITB is probably suffering because I´m in a very hilly mountain village! It´s freezing too, but lovely to be away!!
    Deb
  • Options
    Hooray!!! Just ran my first run for 3 months after being off with ITBS and then sciatica/ disc problem. Bank account seriously depleted after forking out for chiropractor and biomechanical podiatrist, but it was SO worth it as I ran through the wood this morning (albeit only for 20 mins as have been instructed to build up v. slowly). Fingers crossed I'll be back on form by the Troon 10 K and hopefully see some of you there. Good luck with Paris Eeyin, two of my friends are away tomorrow for the marathon.
  • Options
    Well done Scout...

Lochaber is too soon but tempted to apply for Loch Ness though...I'll need to up the training a bit to see if the shin-splints stay away!
  • Options
    Cheers Scout but Im doing Rotterdam instead. Paris is good too but Rotterdam is shhhhhh cheaper ........ and a more managable crowd
  • Options
    HI,
    Does anyone have any info on the Lock Katrine run which I think is eather this Sunday or next? It's a 12, but is it a 12 mile or a 12 km?

Hmmm....
  • Options
    Hi there, Loch Katrine is this Sunday and it's 12km. Hoping the weather perks up a little for it.
  • Options
    If this is the route from the ice cream shop (!) up the side of the loch, then it'll be a beaut. Would love to do it - do you know what time it kicks off and from where? Also, is there registration on the day?
  • Options
    Sarah - forecast I saw for Sunday was for heavy rain.
  • Options
    Yuck on the rain front! Event kicks of at 2pm, the details can be found on the Events section of RW, not sure if you can register on the day.
  • Options
    Hi Folks - just to add to the Loch katrine info/interest.

There are limited entries on the day. As sarah says the race is a 2pm, but mubers can be picked up and entried done from 11 am.

It is an out and back run and I am assuming that it is along the lochside. Yes it is beautiful, but could be challenging as it is rather undulating.

I do some of my marathon training up there, and I run the full length and back (20) and it is challenging.

Not happy about the rain forcast - yeuch! Might trundle up on my own iof that is the case. Mr freefall and the baby bunnies will just spend the time whinging if it is wet.
  • Options
    coolio - do we reckion there will be a decent turnout at the LK 12K or should I assume I'll be last?
  • Options
    Afternoon all.

Just received an e-mail from Tiso to say they are opening a running section at Tiso Glasgow Outdoor Experience at 50 Couper Street, Glasgow.

They invite you to "Come along this weekend, where they will have onsite expert Podiatry and Physiotherapy advice from leading experts, free mini foot and leg massage for those weary muscles and will also be joined by representatives from Timex who will advise on the latest Heart Rate Monitor and Bodylink technology."
  • Options
    Armadillo - cool! I have to take my daughter to a swimming lesson at my gym which is in town, so I/we can loop up by Tiso too.

007 - not sure about turnout. Ti si the first run of this one. Most races specify limited entries on the day - to cover themselves. The numbers that are allowed to run are based upon how many volunteers and marshalls they have. It is an odd distance too, so I imagine it will not be a huge field, but I am sure that you will not be last.
  • Options
    Good luck to everyone running this weekend.

I ran for the first time last night since Alloa and my calf problem, only did approx 4 miles, no reaction though so hope for a decent weekend running in preparation for FLM, which is only two weeks away. Arrrrghhh!!!
  • Options
    Hi - I know this is a bit late, but just in case onyone is online this morning Sarah and I are hoping to hook up at Loch Katrine outside the pier gift shop.

I waer black tights with light blue side panels and a light blue running top and have curly blonde hair (which you can't really miss).

Weather on the Glasgow side looking promising. Dry at the moment but with the threat of showeres and hubby says it is quite cold though - he has just been out for the paper.
  • Options
    Good luck to all those racing this weekend.
  • Options
    Good luck for today's racers
  • Options
    EEyin

How did you get on at Rotterdam?

What are your flight times and where are you staying for London?
  • Options
    Hi Al .....

Rotterdam was 3:40 including a emergency toilet visit some heavy conjestion at the start and a few bottlenecks. I had a few drinks the night before and ran a steady race with a strong finish and altough my legs are a bit stiff today Im sure to be around 3:20-3:30 for London.
    going down at 11:30 BA flight Saturday and back Sunday 6:30. Staying at same hotel chain as you but different location half way between Kings X and Liverpool Stree Station. I guess thats my long training run finished now. You should be very confident with all your high milages this year ... youll be washed and changed by the time Im finished.