Options

Numpty IM Bike Thread

Comments

• Options
    Handlebar width could be another factor too. If you have 42cm bars you may need 44.
  • Options

Thanks  Cougie, it only started to annoy me after about 40 odd miles.  I'm happy to now gradually build on today, which was a big jump up for me.

I had my tyres at about 110psi and the road was very bumpy and chewed up.  I read that this combination can transmit right through the bars to my shoulders if my grip on the bars isn't relaxed. 

I seem to spend a lot of time on the hoods, only dropping down when I'm pushing along a flat, is that usual?

Since I ride on my own at present (my local bike club are pacing too quick at an average of 19mph for me to join their weekend rides),  my beginners questions must find their way to here.

• Options
    Im comfy on the huds and prefer that way on my road bikes. Its only the TT bike I drop down on.
  • Options

Thanks Guys, I will investigate all suggestions.  The (new) helmet was a bit low at front SpongeCake, I noticed the drips of sweat hanging at the front.

NH, also thanks I read that somewhere about handlebar width.

Cat, what shoulder exercises do you include? 

I'm doing press-ups as well as weights and sit-ups to improve my posture/core strength, but I would welcome any other advice/exercise.

• Options
    This cycle lark can be pretty painful,my lower back was aching like hell today.Think I had the seat a little low,so going to have a tinker with positioning in the morning.
  • Options

Hi VT'd - I have a Trek 2.1 as well for commuting on - have you thought about either dropping the height of the bars, or raising them if they're low already? Its fairly easy to do and might be worth a try before investing in more expensive solutions.

There's various web sites that will explain what angles you're suppose to have between your back/shoulder and other body parts image. Whilst these are not always the perfect position, its often a good starting point - worked for me!

• Options

Physio has me moving my arms up/down in front of me in an arc with a theraband stretched between then. I'm trying to free up a previsouly separated shoulder.

I also spent about half of the ride following a wheel so not looking very far in the distance, which may account for something.

• Options

Cheers Cat, I have enough aches and pains in my hips, knees and ankles for my physio to play with without burdening him with yet another of my defects.

Did you have the new PX bike out Spongecake or was that someone else who just bought one?

RafikiD, I often think about swapping to a more upright type geometry like the Defy or Roubaix.  But I've never tried them, just read that they might be more distance friendly for someone creaky like me.

• Options

VT

I did a big ride today and my hands,  arms, neck etc are also a bit smashed.......
    You are supporting yourself on the hoods etc with your arems, hands and neck under tension.  It takes time to buid the muscles up

I find try bars help for the  shoulders/arms/hands, but the neck gets worse........

oh and i ride on the hoods, or tri bars if fitted... the only tiimes i use the drops is when I am scared going down hill....

• Options
    VT'd not me with the PX bike must have been someone else.I have a cheap and cheerful Dawes sportif that I got in a sale.
  • Options
    Hi,I had a proper numpties bike crash on Sunday morning.I was halfway through my 30 mile ride when I thought I would try a slightly different route.I turned off the main road and headed down through a small car park.As i slowed my glasses steamed up a bit and as I went round the side of the building I started to speed up.I looked up and the sun was really shining in my eyes.It was then that I felt myself take off and fly through the air, upside down with my bike still clipped to my feet abit like a somersault with a bike.I landed quite heavily and looked up.I had ridden straight in a barrier that was across the road.I stood up and dusted myself down and had a sheepish look about to see if anyone had seen my truly spectacular bike gymnastics,luckily no-one was about.I walked over to my bike and the triple gear shifter on the left hand side was smashed to pieces.
    Anyway to cut a long story short,Has any of you guys and girls got a spare left hand triple gear change 8 speed that you would like to sell me.The one i smashed was a Shimano 2300 triple shifter.
  • Options
    LOL - sorry not got the shifter - but maybe Ebay ?

Congratulations on a spectacular crash though. Is there any chance there was CCTV around ? I'm just curious. image
  • Options
    I hope not cougie Lol,but you never know.Will have to keep an eye on Youve been Framed
  • Options
    Bliddy Hell Sponge, narrow escape there, glad you didn't come off too bad. The bike can be mended! Put some washing up liquid on the inside of the lenses next time and polish them. That way they shouldn't steam up again!
    VT, I had a bike fit the other week, (guy from Bracknell was recommended by Dustboy!) and I thought it was very worthwhile. One thing he did say to me, having watched my riding on the turbo, is not to 'lock' my arms out whilst riding as it would send the road vibrations straight up my arms and into my shoulders and neck. Instead I need to bend my arms so they act like shock absorbers for my upper body.
    All the other suggestions already mentioned are all good points too though so I'd go about adopting them all!
  • Options

Did you manage to leave the shop without parting vast amounts of money Siggy? They're about a mile from my house.

Sponge - try the bikeradar forum classifieds for things like that.

• Options
    Prince,I was amazed that I didnt hurt myself more.I was in agony riding home and abit sore for the rest of the day.Had a good swim this morning and apart from slight back ache I'm not to bad.
  • Options
    Cat5 - what shop are you referring to as I'm obviously not too far from you either - another good Tri shop to annoy my bank manager is never a bad thing!!
  • Options

Cyclezone in Crowthorne.

Where are you RafikiD?

• Options
    how can you always tell it's a mountain biker on a road bike? 'cos he'll have bent arms.

MTBers learn to ride with bent arms and a relatively loose grip otherwise the vibration of riding off road will crucify the upper arms, neck and shoulders. translate that onto road riding and you won't suffer so much.

many riders think they need to keep a solid grip on the bars but frankly you don't - watch how loose the pro riders grips are - the bike will often take care of it's tracking and you only need to stiffen the grip when you see hazards ahead.
  • Options

Hey Cat5

That's the old Berkshire Cycles place just be the station? The other Cyclezone that was in Winnersh (which is now a Subway) was terrible - but I guess it has a lot to do with the guys/girls that work there!

I'm just up the road in Wokingham

Fat Buddha - agree completely. I've certainly noticed my reliance on using the bars on my road bike has reduced after getting to grips (excuse the pun) with riding aeros on the TT bike where body position tends to control the steering just as much!

• Options

That's the place.The road shop is very nice.

Small world eh! Let me know if you're up for a long TT bike ride.

• Options
    Cat, I did leave without too much of a dent in my pocket! They didn't have anything in my size and price bracket!!! image
    Dave is a nice bloke and obviously very knowledgable!!
  • Options

Cat5

I'm certainly up for that - although depends what you class as long. I'm currently doing about 35 - 40 miles on the TT, averaging about 21/22mph. But happy to be pushed a little.

I'm off to Girona next week for some warm weather training and some hills - but I'll give you a shout when I'm back.

I know you've already done it, but it would be nice to do the Olympic TT course at least once!

• Options
    I would definitely fancy joining you guys for the Olympic course image
  • Options

The course is ~29miles from Hampton Court and back. Stop for cake at Five at the River afterwards.

I need to get up to that distance on the TT first!

• Options

Goldern Boots/Cat5

Want to pencil in something towards the end of March sometime then? I've got half marathon on the 25th March and another of 1st April, but they're both Sundays, so any Saturday works for me

• Options
    Could be tempted with the 24th March, as I'm away the weeks before and afterwards. What's the half-marathons?
  • Options

24th works for me. Cat5?

Half on the 25th is the Water for Life, between Marlow and Henley along the Thames - not very fast, but a fun little local run. 1st April is Reading - which if you don't get bogged down at the start it can be a quick course

• Options

Unfortunately not. I have a prior engagement that I have to be at! On pain of, erm, pain!

That is about the only date I can't do....other than:

18Mar, 15Apr, 6May, 27May. Something's happening on the 1st July too image

Raf, did you do the Wokey Cokey the other weekend?

• Options

Cat, alas I'm suffering from a mild bought of Plantar fasciitis, so had to pull out of Wok - was on the side lines shouting abuse though! I take it you did it? How'd it go?

As for doing the Olympic TT course - shall we plonk for 6th May, as I think Golden Boots is busy on 18Mar, I've got a little 26.2 mile jog around Brighton on 15 Apr. How does that sound GB?

Plus I'm busy on 1 julu also - shouting abuse, sorry offering support to you guys!

But Cat, if you fancy a ride out somewhere on the TT bikes on the 18th, drop me a PM and we can arrange!