Options

Polar RS200SD

Comments

• Options
    I've just got one - but the wife won't let me have it until Christmas.

The thing about it compared to a Forerunner 201, as far as I can tell, is that if you make use of overall average pace to gauge your progress or like to use the training partner to keep you on schedule then you won't have that anymore - you only have current pace and so might need to do sums in your head to keep on track for a target time.

On the Forerunner 201 I don't use instantaneous pace - I have lap pace going for laps of 400m.

We'll see how I get on with the RS200SD!
  • Options
    Evergreen,
    Thanks for the comments. Remember to look surprised when you open the box on Christmas Day!
  • Options
    I've still not got round to calibrating my pod but there's some interesting comments on the RS200 thread. My boyfriend borrowed my pod as he's lost his (he has the Polar 625) and he reckons the pod is 10-15% out. Can this be right? Has anyone else found their pod to be this much out? I'm wondering if this is maybe a sign that the battery is running low?
  • Options
    Kidzdad,

None of the systems do instantaneous pace very well. The GPS Ones seem to be worse in terms of variation, but the footpod ones definitely have some kind of lag. This is where the combined SDM&HR is useful as you can get your general pace from the auto-miles and then judge it by your HR for the remainder of the time.

Freckly,

I s'pose it would be possible for different pods to give different readings - after all you are relying on a very small unit to be very precisely made for every pod to give the same reading. Why not try that battery thing and report back...

• Options
    David - I'll calibrate it and see how it goes. I have a 10 mile race in 2 weeks time so if I've not done it by then, then at least I'll have something to compare it too.

If that fails, I'll try changing the battery.
  • Options
    Kidzdad

Have logged all my data using the RS200sd since getting it last September, as I was looking to increase my average pace for 10k's and only ever had a number of HRM's with no speed/distance prior to the RS200sd.

Had set up the autolap to record average pace every 1 km, everytime I go out whether its a tempo run, race, long run or recovery, as well as keeping a note of distance and whatever else I can measure!

Try to avoid stopping, while it is measuring during these runs, and have only used it a few times for intervals.

Have never calibrated the footpod, but what is interesting for me is to compare the relative data for the 5-6 months worth of 20-25 runs per month.

The change in pace is pretty consistent and as a tracking system to use for improvement, it seems very reliable.

It has helped me a lot to get quicker (or less slow!).

• Options
    I've just got one of these and am looking for any top tips for transferring the data to Polar running coach. I only have a laptop so will have to get a microphone - any suggestions/recommendations/ones to avoid?
  • Options
    Thanks for all the info everyone. Not as straightforward as I thought. Think I might just stick with the devil I know for now!
  • Options
    Have never got the data transfer to work from the watch to the computer. Tried 3 types of microphones including a few recommendations from US websites and a lot of tinkering with settings
  • Options
    might give up before i start then cos i'm not the most patient when it comes to things like this!!
  • Options
    I had issues with transfering data originaly . Spoke to the Polar help desk who walked me through the settings on my Laptop ( they were okay ) . The issue was that I had the microphone to near the watch . I now hold the back of the watch around 3 inches away from the front of the microphone speaker . No issues since ( just a cheap £5 microphone from the local computer shop ) .
  • Options
    thanks for that Steveo
  • Options
    I really love this product. Like other people have said here, it increased my speed, my motivation and I finally know how far I am really running. I didn't calibrate it initially, knowing that it was little out. It was like Christmas and Birthday again when I finally calibrated it after a 5K run and suddenly I was much faster. Ever since I have accurate measurements and transfering the data to the Polar Coach online is simple. I also have a cheapy microphone but I need to press the microphone straight onto the watch to get the best results. Occasionally you have to retry but overall the transfer of the data is swift and without hassle.

Only problem so far: I attached the food pod to far down on my shoe and it somehow pressed onto one of my tows which caused a bit of pain after long runs. Easy to change, move it higher and problems solved.

I can only recommend this product and if you look around on the internet for a bit you can get really competitive prices, I got mine for only £118.
  • Options
    Think I may have found thr answer to my pod being about 15% out. I changed the pod to be on the same side as my watch (I was running with the pod on my right shoe and the watch on my left). Ran the Troon 10K on Wed night and it was spot on - no callibration required.

I've still not had any luck uploading my data to the website. Think I need to get a microphone for my laptop. Can anyone recommend one?
  • Options
    Think I may have found the answer to my pod being about 15% out. I changed the pod to be on the same side as my watch (I was running with the pod on my right shoe and the watch on my left). Ran the Troon 10K on Wed night and it was spot on - no callibration required.

I've still not had any luck uploading my data to the website. Think I need to get a microphone for my laptop. Can anyone recommend one?
  • Options
    oops didn't mean to post twice!
  • Options
    625X or RS200sd hel me please!
  • Options
    Robert ......
    Looking at your profile I would say that your main objectives are not to be a professional/competative athlete ; does not mean to say you are not serious .
    The 625 is designed for competative / professional athletes to hone their training down to a very fine point ; ie do you really need to know what your heart rate is every 5 seconds or so and be able to analyse this after your runs with trend analysis ?
    I suspect you will get on fine with the RS200SD .

• Options
    Profile a bit misleading but I think you are right. Have found one for £116.97 incluidng P&P so am going to go for it. Thanks.
  • Options
    robert,

where did you buy yours from? sounds like a very good price. Just tried to go on the treadbear website and it says they have ceased trading!
  • Options
    http://www.affordablesupplements.co.uk/ns/products/detail.asp?prodid=1946

Try this. Delivery is free and takes only 4 days. MIne has not turned up yet so fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Great thanks! have just ordered! how long ago did you order yours?
  • Options
    Monday, I think, and it almost turned up today in that the two SIS things in the same order turned up and the watch did not. There was a note saying they would send it ASAP...
  • Options
    ah yes, they called me yesterday afternoon saying it wasn't in stock. Apparantly they'll get them on the 14th and post them first class recorded delivery to make up for it. Presume they'll fo the same for you!
  • Options
    glad i went for 2nd class unrecorded then.
  • Options
    hi all. sorry to hijack thread but becky m/robert harris 11 - did you have any more problems with affordable supplements? i'm thinking of buying the 200sd and they still seem to have the cheapest deal. any comments on service etc much appreciated.
  • Options
    service great as when they realised their shipment was delayed they called me to explain and offer first class recorded delivery. loving the speed and distance functions.
  • Options
    rh11 - right that's it then! been thinking about buying one for ages but i'm finally going to bite the bullet! cheers for the feedback.
  • Options
    yep i'd second what robert said - they were very communicative and efficient. Much cheaper than everywhere else too! Would definately recommend getting one from them if you're going to.