Options

3:15-3:30 Target

Here's my weekly plan and progress thus far:

Mon - 3 mile easy

Naughty girl, did 8 miles due to an errand I had to make but only did 7 yesterday instead of 13!

Tues - 7 miler steady
Weds - 3 mile easy
Thurs - 35 min tempo run
Fri - Rest
Sat - 7 mile @ marathon pace
Sun - 14 mile @ 1min slower than marathon pace

Comments

• Options
    I'm doing a kind of 'mongrel' sub-3:30 schedule, but will set out aiming to run 8:20ish per mile on the day as that would give me 3:38 which with a 3:48 PB, I'd be delighted with.

This weeks schedule is:
    Mon 8x 400m reps in 90secs each
    Tues 8 miles easy
    Fri 13 miles mara. pace + 30 secs
    Sat 6 miles mara. pace.
    TOTAL 30 miles.

Can only do 4 sessions this week due to work etc. My schedule increases by 2 miles per week to peak on week commencing 17th March with 48 miles including a 22 mile run in 3hrs to 3hrs 15m.
  • Options
    Hi Hilly,

I noticed that you've not included a speed session as such i.e. x times y distance at Z speed sort of thing. Do you plan to put that in? I'm just wondering because I have no experience of speed training, there only speed training at my club is too fast for me and I'm afraid to go along in case I hold them back and, finally, I don't have access to a track or anything that would make working the distances out easy. I'm sure I could drive round in a car or something, but I'm wondering if I can just get away with tempo runs. I'm hoping to do 3:45, which should be possible with sufficient miles. Do you think I need to do the speed stuff too?

Many thanks for any advice on this - it's a source of confusion and some anxiety to me! :)
  • Options
    WP - you don't really need to know distances - can you not just do intervals of say sprint for two lampost distances, and then trot for four or something similar ? I think it's just the effort and recovery that is important here, not the distances as such. But make sure you do trot between intervals and don't stop as that's not as good for you supposably (TM Joey from Friends)

I'm hoping to sneak sub 3.15 - but I'm a bit behind - 'cos of my broken leg.

Plan for this week :

Monday - Spinning
    Tuesday 6 miler fast
    Wednesday 10 miler (ice permitting)
    Thursday 6 miler fastish
    Friday Spinning & Cross Train
    Saturday 12 miler slow (& Northern meet !)
    Sunday Bike 50 miles

Total distance 34 miles - but I get aerobic benefits from my spinning and cycling without the stress of running.
  • Options
    Hello Cougie,

I see what you mean - I could try that :-) Thanks for the tip!

Your programme looks very intesting - spinning is just about the most exhausting workout of any description that I've ever tried!

Wolfy - why on earth am I calling you Hilly?? Doh... Sorry! And it's only Monday...
  • Options
    Spinning is a bit tough, I agree, but it's such a darn good work out without risking injury. Apart from the obvious lungs coming out of your chest thing.

I hope to increase the long runs by 2 miles or so each weekend. And I try to do it on Saturday as then if the weather is awful, I can always put it back to Sunday.

Wouldn't want to waste a gorgeous Saturday and then have a miserable rainy Sunday with a loooong run on.
  • Options
    Monday 3 mile slow completed at 8:01min miles
    Tuesday Cross Training 45 mins spinning (done) weights programme(to do) Yoga
    Wednesday 7 miles slow
    Thursday 3 miles slow
    Friday Rest
    Saturday 7 miles slow
    Sunday 14 miles slow

(no fast runs this week, Thank-you Hal)
  • Options
    mines almost the same as Wolfy...its Hal Higdon, except I'm a week ahead cos I've got a week off to go snowboarding...so my long run is only 10 miles this week.
    Hows the snow looking Swissbobby?
  • Options
    Wee Piglet: the Hal Higdon Advanced schedule alternates a weekly Hill, Speed, Tempo training. Speed training is all well and good in moderation and too much can actually have adverse affects so be careful.

What program are you following?

With regard to spinning if it is too cold outside (wouldn't advise speed in sub zero conditions!) for your speed session and you don't fancy the treadmill the spinning class would be an excellent alternative!

Good Luck!
  • Options
    White 2dogs, as it is floating past my office window!!!!
  • Options
    Hi All,

This weeks sched is

Mon Easy 5
    Tue Steady 6
    Wed 8 x 1 min Intervals
    Thu Steady 6
    Fri REST
    Sat Fast 3
    Sun Steady 9

Nothing like jumping in at the deep end for your first weeks training. This should do for my target of 3:15

• Options
    AlfieAlfie ✭✭✭
    Following 3 weeks planned rest over Christmas, started training again last week. This week's schedule is planned to be:

Monday - Rest (recovery from Tadworth 10 on Sunday)
    Tuesday - 3M easy
    Wednesday - a 5M Birthday tempo session
    Thursday - Rest
    Friday - 3M easy
    Saturday - 5M steady
    Sunday - 12M easy

Have a good week.
  • Options

Mon - 3 mile easy

Naughty girl, did 8 miles due to an errand I had to make but only did 7 yesterday instead of 13!

Tues - 7 miler steady

Felt like nice steady 7 miles and clocked 49.45mins so maybe it was a bit faster than I thought. Felt good, beautiful sunshine and ice melting a bit now.

Weds - 3 mile easy
    Thurs - 35 min tempo run
    Fri - Rest
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    This is my third week of marathon training and is my easier week as I've scheduled in a race at the end of the week. My schedule is 2 or 3 weeks hard with every 3rd or 4th week easy, depending on scheduled races.

This week:
    Mon-rest
    Tues- 7 mile to include 1st speed session of the week, 3 miles time trial at 5k pace
    Wed-12 miles marathon pace
    Thurs- 6 miles to include 2nd speed session of week, 11*hills with jog back down recovery.
    Fri-swimming club, reps
    Saturday-rest
    Sunday-1o mile race
    Total miles:35
  • Options
    Hi Wolfy,

I'm not absolutely sure what programme I'll follow yet, but I think I'll have to decide fast now that I know I've definitely got a place. It'll probably be based on the RW (UK) 3:45 programme from the website. The one I used last time was the RW (US) beginners' progamme, and it didn't include any speedwork. That's why every programme that does mention speedwork tends to bring on a panic attack here :) It's not because I'm scared to have a go, but because I've not been sure how to organise the logistics (no track, etc etc). Still, though, I think maybe I'm making excuses to myself - as Cougie says, there's no reason why I can't use intervals between lamposts etc to do it.

Anyway, I'll enjoy reading what you 3:15-30 peeps are doing: sounds like your training is off to a great start :-)
  • Options
    Oh My God,All the above is wishful thinking for me I dont think I'll look at this thread again!! I have a 4.30-45 target for this year, really dont feel worthy enough to be reading the above. Maybe next year, if I train hard enough! Good luck to all you elite people . I really do admire your effort. Well done!!!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Billie, good luck with your own training. 4.30 is a very respectable time-go for it!
  • Options
    ok thought i'd join yous...i'm after 3.20 and this week has so far been:

sunday 20 miles at 8 and a bit per mile
    monday 4 miles at 7 min mile
    today 5 miles at 8 min mile
    tomorrow 5m
    friday 4m or indoor rowing
    saturday rest
    probably 15m or so on sunday...who knows??

and yes, 4.30 is very very respectable...it sure ain't jogging...i really hope you enjoy it too....also, over a distance like a marathon, a small change in pace makes a massive difference in final time....last april i ran 4.00, then i started to do a few shorter runs, like 4m, and i noticed i'd got a bit faster...i don't ever do any proper speed training, just what i feel like...then in october i found myself running 3.30....i'm probably getting overambitious now ;)

take care
    alice
  • Options
    Hey Billie :-)

It doesn't matter what speeds other people are aiming for. Well, I hope not, as there's no way I'm doing 3:15-3:30, much as I'd like to! Still, it's lots of fun to read about how other people are getting on in their training - inspiring, I find :-)

My first marathon had a 4:30 target. The second was 4:00. This one is 3:45. Little by little, as they say :-) Your target is one that literally billions of people will never achieve! Be proud of yourself for making the effort, which is all that counts in the end (imo, anyway :-)
  • Options
    Wee Piglet and Hilly, Thanks for your support. I think running 26.2 miles is an achievement in itself
  • Options
    Hey Billie, it's no mean feat to actually compete a marathon whether you're Paula Ratcliffe or the man in diving suit!

What is important is that you feel that sense of achievement when you cross the line. A feat that as Wee Piglet says, "billions of people will never achieve! "

• Options
    Billie I can't really add more to what the others have said as I agree with them totally! You'll have a super time whatever your time at FLM...good luck!
  • Options
    OMG Fluffa's doing 20 milers already... I'm doing the RW sub 3:15 (triumph of hope over experience) and so far it's been very easy but it gets harder in a week or so's time. I know that I have difficulty after 20 miles - fade and stagger from mile 22, gel notwithstanding. I'm trusting in the pacer group to keep me going as I know that left to my own I'll just crumble.
  • Options
    Hey, thanks for the supprt you guys. I have just come up with the answer on catching up with you lot on the day. I will wear a pair of rollerskates and one of you pull me along!!
  • Options
    ONLY ON FORUM TO UPDATE MY RUNNING PROGRESS....HONEST!

Mon - 3 mile easy

Tues - 7 miler steady

Felt like nice steady 7 miles and clocked 49.45mins so maybe it was a bit faster than I thought. Felt good, beautiful sunshine and ice melting a bit now.

Weds - 3 mile easy

Easy 3 and as usual asked myself all the way why I was bothering to go out the door just to do a 3 miler, never seems worth it, and stopped myself from going further cos I was dying too!

Thurs - 35 min tempo run
    Fri - Rest
  • Options
    Is this enough for sub 3.30 ? (april 13 will be my first marathon - my last and best half marathon was 1.41)
    monday-spinning
    tuesday-9mileas in 75mins
    thurs - 10x400m (88secs per rep)
    saturday- 6miles hilly (46mins)
    sunday - 5.5 miles in 44mins
  • Options
    11.2 km yesterday completed
  • Options
    We believe you Wolfy, thousands wouldn't,

Mon Easy 5
    Boy was it easy!

Tue Steady 6
    Ugly, but worth it I think

Wed 8 x 1 min Intervals
    It's hard to run fast on Ice, I looked more like Torvill & Dean than a runner !

Thu Steady 6
    Fri REST
    Sat Fast 3
    Sun Steady 9

• Options
    OK - here is my update : Plan for this week :

Monday - Spinning - YUP - v hard
    Tuesday 6 miler fast - couldn't get to gym & too icy outside

Wednesday 10 miler (ice permitting) it didn't

Thursday 6 miler fastish (ahaaa- ice gone - looks good - might do the 10 miler tonight !)

Sunday Bike 50 miles

• Options
    An updated update !! I've been for my run.
    Plan for this week was:

Monday - Spinning - YUP - v hard

Tuesday 6 miler fast - couldn't get to gym & too icy outside

Wednesday 10 miler (ice permitting)- it didn't :-(

Thursday 6 miler fastish (ahaaa- ice gone - looks good - might do the 10 miler tonight !) DID 10 mile Hilly and 8 mins fater than the weekend. thank God the ice has gone.

(hmm - not sure if I can do this and get to Manchester - might have to swap summat round)

Sunday Bike 50 miles