Options

RW Schedules

Guys and Ladies

Anyone apart from me think that this years schedules are not as good as previous years ?

I think the idea of previous years giving a day by day view much better, I also really liked the heart rate ones - so its back to last years for me

Comments

• Options
    having always been a big fan (and recommended them to everyone), I'd have to agree - not that I'm using them this year for better or worse. also I'd have to say their target times for intervals etc. are pretty off, even more so than usual. heyho, last year they were great!
  • Options
    Glad you said that about the intervals achilles - I thought I was just being slow!
  • Options
    I'm using one from RW written by Bruce Tulloch in 1995. It does seem to be more detailed than the ones in the magazine today.
  • Options
    Don't rate the latest ones at all. I'm basically using the ones from 2001. I feeel they've gone down hill since then.
  • Options
    I like this year's idea of stressing there are a number of key sessions that need to be done, and the extra recovery and junk mileage runs are not vital. That's a great help to people like me who get very fatigued when marathon training and worry about over-use injuries.

But that said, I do really like the old Bruce Tulloh training schedules. The presentayion was clearer as well. I have a set from 1998 and will be basing most of my training on them. IMHO, the RW schedules last year seemed far too demanding, with unfocussed sessions.
  • Options
    Does anybody know where I can find a set of the Bruce Tulloh schedules please?
  • Options
    I don't know but I imagine one of his books, such as 'Running is Easy' would have them. Worth having a browse next time you are in a large bookshop.
  • Options
    I'll have a look in waterstones, cheers Skip
  • Options
    i used the 2000 RW schedules which worked well - 2002 ones were a nonsense

ther bruce tulloh designed schedules on this site under the "training" tab - i think they are subscriber only though
  • Options
    have to agree this years training plan in the mag is very poor and diffcult to understand
  • Options
    I agree too that the schedules are not so good. I am not disciplined enough to do the sessions without someone or something saying, "it's Tuesday, therefore you must do ...", also, I believe that running less than 40 miles a week simply isn't enough to get round a marathon in a decent time without collapsing. I think that it takes at least 50 miles per week for a month (as as part of a 3 month schedule) including at least 1 "quality" session plus long runs is required in order to run well in less than 3:30. Call me old fashioned but that's what has worked for me in over 20 years of running. In 1990 I ran NYC Matrathon in 3:04 when I trained around 60-70 mpw for 2 or 3 months. In 2002 I averaged 40 mpw and ran FLM in 3:40. OK, so I'm 12 years older, but this years mileage will definitely be higher.
  • Options
    Do you mean the times they quote for intervals are too fast? Mind you I found the same last year.

Personally I like the format as I have irregular work routine and never know where I'll be one week to the next. Also don't like being told what to do, so I find it easier and more in tune with my normal approach to work each week out separately.
    Trouble is, most of us only get on or two shots at the marathon each year - it must take a long time to work out what a good schedule is!
  • Options
    PS Also think the distances for the long runs are too low, most people would want to be at 10-12 miles by now at least.
  • Options
    Why not cobble your own together from the one in the mag and the ones on the RW site (which seem to be Bruce Tulloch's)? I like the daily discipline of the one off the site, but agree that the weekend long runs could be bigger so will use the mag versions for this.
  • Options
    Laura -

yes, from experience, you definitely don't need to be running the intervals at the speeds they suggest to achieve the relevant targets. I think there's quite a bit of over-compensating going on here.

what schedule are you following BTW? you seem to be doing phenomenal amounts of quality training already. your tempo runs make my eyes water. you've got to be on for a great time at Helsby.
  • Options
    I like the RW plan .... as Laura says - it can be tough to guarantee doing sessions on certain days with work & other personal arrangements, so the flexibility is good.

I am on the sub 3hr 45 plan and its my first marathon.

I will fit in my races on top of the schedule as well though, so that will up the mileage a bit !
  • Options
    AlfieAlfie ✭✭✭
    I agree with fatbutfit - best to make your own up based on all those available, your work/social commitments and your aims.

I'm basically using my one and only previous (1999) plan that had 5 runs per week, average of 30mpw (max 42) but trying to get 1 or 2 more 20+m runs in plus better quality sessions. Managed 3:24 in '99, so with a bit more quality and no smokes means aiming for 3:15 this time.

Overall, I would say quality of runs more important than mpw figures.
  • Options
    Alfie, what time did you do for a marathon on 30mpw??
  • Options
    AlfieAlfie ✭✭✭
    Fifi

3:24:05. Miles ranged from 25 pw at start of Jan to max of 42 in mid March. The 42 must have stretched me too far as the following week did only 5 miles due to a foot injury!

• Options
    That's a good time A. I guess we are all different and I would not be capable of that time on that sort of mileage, but I do stay injury free.. touch wood, on high mileage. So that's what I preach and practise, but I understand it doesn't suit everyone.
  • Options
    Hope so Achilles though I don't think I've recovered from my last tempo run, maybe Nick was right!
    At the moment I've cobbled together some sort of amateurish hybrid of RW 3.45 and Hal Higdon Intermediate II, the latter because you can see what the build-up of long runs should be, and plan the 20 milers in around races etc, whereas RW childishly keep you in suspense month by month. HH also has higher mileage in the early weeks which reflects where I started more or less. RW's will probably mainly serve as ideas for speed sessions as that's where I'm not experienced.
    Time will tell, what normally seems to happen is I overtrain, have a c**p week, then start again!
    Are you doing Horvill to the letter or?

• Options
    Laura - I think RW "childishly" keep trying to get you to buy the magazine month after month! my thoughts about kindly uncle Hal is that he's a bit soft - a Yank, don't you know. conversely the RW speed sessions are on the hard side, but well worth trying to achieve because often that can help you push through to another level.

I'm basically doing Frank to the letter at the moment but it's hard to co-ordinate the long run with the weekend, there's not quite enough overall mileage for my liking and I'm not happy only doing 3 quality sessions every other week, so I'm going to try dropping a recovery day and doing an 8 mile (or so) fartlek to replace one of the speed sessions (for now), which I think gets me back in sync. if that makes any sense at all. basically it's not hard enough so I'm going to make it harder! ;-) hmmmmmmmmm, big mistake.

PS. have no worries about your tempo run - my guess it'll turn out to have been the key session. but let's hope Nick doesn't see me say it.
  • Options
    25 mpw up to 45 in mid march, 5 longest runs adding up to 90 miles plus..

seemed to work ok for a 3.45-4.00 time.

i'm really spooked by any 12+ miles long run this early in the process since i know that by march 30th i'll be sick to death of long runs, with nothing less than a half (and a lot that are considerably more than a half) after the watford 13.1 on feb 2

urgh - the long run
  • Options
    So Achilles, even Frank's not tough enough for you huh? I knew you were hard but that's really pushing the boat out, just keep that head nice and balanced won't you?

Ever considered joining the SAS?

wwr, I keep hearing this formula about your longest 5 runs adding up to the queen mother's birthday or something, what does it mean?
  • Options
    Laura - Bruce Tulloh said that your 5 longest runs should add up to 100 miles to run a comfortable marathon, and it's dead good advice. of course, feel free to run more of them if you so choose, which knowing you, you will. why do I sense you'll be disappointed when you can't run for 3 hours in the freezing snow? ;-)
  • Options
    Im confused now
    maybe i should have just stuck to my own fledgling speedwork sessions
    is it too late to change, cos i just cant do the mile reps, or should i keep trying
  • Options
    Don't worry Hippo, There's still plenty of time. I've not started any speedwork yet (doing a little bit on the treadmill today) c/o broken fingers & fear of falling.

Achilles, I too like our Brucies 100 mile in your last 5 long runs idea. Worked for me in my debut marathon last year. Wouldn't describe the last 6m as 'comfortable' though. I don't know whether any amount of training can make those miles comfortable.
  • Options
    Achilles - is that right? I thought the 'rule' was something like your 6 longest runs should add to 100 miles, not 5. I wasn't aware any of his training schedules incorporated 5x20 milers, except maybe the sub-3hr runner? Sounds way too much for most of us. (Even the 6 runs rule shouldn't apply to novice and slow or get-you-round runners IMHO).
  • Options
    Skip - you may be right, but I've only ever seen it quoted as 5 into 100, i.e. mainly 20 milers, but also e.g. a 22 and an 18. I notice Bob Glover also says that you need "ideally" to do five or six runs of 18-24 miles.

you're probably right though that it doesn't/shouldn't apply to "novices" as they will be spending too long on their feet and won't have enough time to recover, but anything under 4 hours I would have thought it starts to makes sense.

the point is you really need to create a physiological adaptation which only starts to kick in once you get that 20 mile distance into your system. it's really about pushing into the dreaded "wall" zone and teaching your body to adapt to fat burning at this point. if you haven't done it in training, it's going to hurt so much more on the day, quite apart from slowing you down.

that's my theory anyway and it's worked so far.