Options

PHAB

Hi I am a first timer and have a place for next years marathon running for PHAB Kids. Was hoping to find some other runners who are running for this cause who want to keep in touch and help motivate nearer the time?

Comments

• Options
    I've just filled the form in - did they get back to you reasonably quickly?

My only worry with them is their 3 june dealine for the money to be in by - my employer matches £ for £, which makes £950 (or significantly more, hopefully) fairly straightforward - however they're not exactly speedy with processing matched funding applications - I hope PHAB are ok to get my bit then send the application in for the mathced funding bit - I'd hope to get close to their minimum on my own, but (for example) my charity this year haven't had their money yet (although they were a bit slow in returning the application - I sent my stuff in in May and they didn't apply till the end of June).
  • Options
    Hi Rebecca, I'm running for Phab kids in the 2006 FLM! Got my confirmation last week and was dead chuffed as have tried to get in through the balloting process for the last two years without success! I'm really new to running - am on a walk/run program at the moment and seems to be going ok.

I'd love to keep in touch - Where are you based ?

Fay
  • Options
    Fay

How long for your reply?
  • Options
    Hi Fay and Andy. Andy I requested a place about a week after this years marathon and had a response within days but I would imagine this time of year they may take a little while longer.

Fay, I was based in Putney, London but have just moved back to live with my parents for a while to save up to buy a flat and return to london! Running at least will give me something to while away the quiet evenings in with my parents!

I am glad you are also new to running. I only really started making a concerted effort earlier this year. I have done a 5km and was pretty pleased with my time of 31 minutes and have a 10km in Ocotber but I must stress my motivation levels and therefore the amount of times i get out there and run tends to come in fits and starts! Hence i went out last night for the first time in 2 weeks and barely managed 20minutes!

Every so often i am filled with self doubt as to whether i can do this and whether i am completely mad. But i did buy a really good book the other day which was the non runners guide to running a marathon and everytime i read that i find it really encouraging.

Are you following a particular plan at the moment and if so what stage are you at?

Look forward to keeping in touch. Let me know if you want to swap email addresses.

Becky
  • Options
    Just spoken to the lady at PHAB, and it looks like I'll be running for PHAB next year - so I'd best keep popping into this thread!

Have you guys got your training schedule sorted? I've got a 10k, a 10mile, a half marathon and a 20 mile race in the diary for next year building up from January onwards, with a few fell races and 10ks before Christmas. Definitely going to do more miles in training this time though - the 8-4 weeks to go bit is where I reckon you really need to get the mileage in.
  • Options
    oh my god i am feeling really scared now! as i a m new to running i am currently trying to just get out there regularly even if only for half an hour. I have bought a fantastic book which is the non runners guide to marathon running and it is just fantastic. Literally written for people like me.

I have a 10km in October and so am trying to find a 10 mile in January somewhere.

And next month I am buying proper running shoes. Just cannot afford to this month!

But lets keep this thread a regular thing. With 220 runners for PHAB it should become quite popular!
  • Options
    Hi Rebecca,

I'm currently following the walk/run schedule in the marathon magazine and am up to week 5. Previously could run 30 minutes on treadmill, but have found road running bit harder and also been advised to go really slowly in training to avoid injury etc. (Apparently 30minutes straight away on the treadmill wasn't a good approach!!!)

Anyway, have previously only done 5K Race for Life, but have signed up for Nike 10K London Run on October 16th - not sure if that was a good thing to do, but thought it might keep me motivated and I can walk it if necessary! Also, they have good training days every week where you can run 3K or 5K and get free running advice.

Andy - glad you got a place, now we just need to raise the money!! (And, in my case, learn to run!!). If you have any good fundraising ideas let me know - and keep in touch to let us know how you are doing.

Fay

P.s. If anyone wants to chat via e-mail I'm more than happy to exchange addresses

P.p.s I'm based in Surrey Quays, London

• Options
    Where're you based, Fay? The St Annes 10mile in (unsurprisingly) St Annes is a great race in early March (5th, next year, I think) - completely flat as it's along the prom.

If you're running for 30mins continuously now you'll be fine for April - just try and make it reasonably often (maybe 2 or 3 times a week) for now, and start to make one of your runs a little bit longer - the embryonic start of what'll become your 'long slow runs' in the New Year. Maybe just aim to be at 40mins by the end of September, maybe three quarters of an hour by the end of October - and before you know it you'll be pootling along for an hour - which is a great place to be when you start your 'serious' training after xmas.

Also happy to swap email addys if you like - bit of mutual support never went amiss!

I'm in (obviously) Embsay, which is in the Yorkshire Dales.
  • Options
    My email address is rgolland@cmpinformation.com in case anyone wants to email.
  • Options
    andy@wiggans.fslife.co.uk
  • Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    HI everyone,

I have a place with PHAB too - got it sorted a few months ago. I've done FLM once before in 2000, then had a few injuries, and have really only got back into proper training in the last 12 months.

At the moment I'm tapering for a half marathon on Sunday, and also did a half a few weeks ago - just trying to get a good base of training to take me through to the winter. After Sunday I'm aiming to take a couple of weeks off running, let my body rest a bit! Then I'll be looking for a couple of 10k/10mile races towards the end of the year, and then the usual marathon build up races of various distances.

Feel free to email me - my email address is enabled on this site.
  • Options
    oh my god you sound like a total pro!!!
  • Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    LOL Rebecca! I just like running, and someone told me it was a good idea to get a good base of endurance in well before the serious stuff kicks in.

I also like doing races, because I do most of my training on my own, so it's a good chance for me to run with other people.
  • Options
    seriously, i have never ran more than 4 miles !!! and i am really really slow!
  • Options
    Rebecca

So glad I read this thread, I look at threads thinking 'What am I doing, I'm way out of my depth' but you have made my day.

I am also slow, done a few 5k's, don't get out much (2 kids and a grumpy hubby).

I have entered the ballot for the FLM, probably won't get in, but trying to show myself I have confidence!

Thanks Rebecca
  • Options
    No seriously thank YOU! you have made me realise i am not completely mad and that there are other beginners out there who do this!

Fingers crossed you will get in but even if you don't we should still try and encourage each other on this site!
  • Options
    Where's your half, Freemers? I'll probably do carlisle in October if I can persuade BAR (Bloke Across the Road) to come along - longish drive on my own.

Ilkley triathlon on Sunday though - hope I can remember how to swim!
  • Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Hi andy,

I'm doing the Wissey half, which is in Norfolk. Did Great Yarmouth a couple of weeks ago. I'm Suffolk based, so try and find races in East Anglia if I can.

Enjoy the tri - never done one myself. Could cope with the swim, but I'm not a cyclist. Haven't ridden a bike since school!
  • Options
    Woo hoo. just hd an email from PHAB - all is well with my app, so I'm defo in the marathon one way or another - and running for PHAB.

Erm...fab...
  • Options
    Hi all! I just saw this thread, have not read through it yet, but will do. I have a place running for phab and am interested in getting in touch with other runners.

My email is leighton.williams@dsl.pipex.com and I am in Braintree, Essex.
  • Options
    Welcome aboard. Leighton - how's the trainig going?
  • Options
    Was going ok up until the middle of June. I had done a 35.05 5 miler, and a 42.47 10k, but then I got a back injury and have not done any running since third week in June.
  • Options
    Very enjoyable triathlon today - but my bike riding's lousy. Run was good though -a hilly 3 miles in 21:30, which on the end of a swim and a bike's pretty reasonable.

Trafford 10k next weekend, then a half in carlisle mid-October.
  • Options
    I didn't do my HM in the end - my achilles was bothering me a little when I went out for a last run on Saturday so I decided not ro risk it. And it was too hot!

Good run in your tri andy - I could probably only just manage that time without the swim/run, and that would have to be on a downhill course with a stiff wind behind me!

Leighton - hope the back injury is getting better. When do you think you'll be out running again?
  • Options
    Hi all
    I got a place with Phab today and now have a big rush,all i have to do is kick start my training.
    its hard as i work nights but will over come this i hope
    anyway thought i would say hello to the rest of the Phab group..
    Alex
  • Options
    Hi Alex. Welcome along. Are you a complete beginner like me or a "proper runner"!!!??

And where are you based?
  • Options
    Hi Team - Ive got a PHAB place for next year too!

Andy are you from Embsay near Skipton?
  • Options
    hi rebecca im a beginner with dreams of being a proper runner lol
    im based nr stansted airport how about you?
  • Options
    I am based in Kent and work in London. Total beginner. Did a 5km in June but thats it!

Oh and i am a little overweight too!! So have visions of running it in crop top and hotpants eventually!!!
  • Options
    i ran 3 10km last year but ingured mt anckle so have not done a lot since ,i had a 5km back in may but had to pull out as i hurt it again ,so been in the gym since,im also overweight and hope to lose alot before april, fingers crossed...