Options

Tough Guy Countdown

only seventeen days to go now, but who's counting anyway, you would think I was nervous or something.

Anyway, how is everyones training going, any last minute tips & has anyone tried the "Reeds chillcheaters" yet as I am thinking of getting the trousers.

Nick

Comments

• Options
    Never done this before but looking forward to it. Training took a dive over christmas so I am working hard now to make up for lost time!

I have been training on muddy hills finding it very hard at the moment but still a couple of weeks to go
  • Options
    This year will be my fourth go at this "idiosyncratic" (or should that be idiotsyncratic?) event.

Some of our club members at 26.2 RRC have done this over 10 times and are still coming back for more.

If I were to make any comments on the event, I would recommend going like stink at the start. Why? In normal races there is an even progression over the course. In Tough Guy there are lots of hold ups due to the obstacles.

Last year I got around in 1:57 and at most there were 1 or 2 people in front of me at any obstacle. As I was finishing there were queues of people for every obstacle- some in great groups of 10-15 deep. All the waiting leads to one thing - cold (and possibly hypothermia - seriously).

The other thing is to make sure you've got lots of old dry clothes to put on afterwards. The only showers (such as they are) are cold. Better to get into dry clothes and get warm and worry about geting clean later...

Also maybe take a flask of hot drink - you get given a cup of tea or hot chocolate at the end but I've never yet been able to drink more than a third of it - it all gets spilled in my trembling frozen hands!

Good luck to anyone doing it - say Hi if you see me - I'll be wearing a "Team 26.2 AWOL" T-Shirt.

Simon

• Options
    Hi, this will be my Five Tough Guy this year,and I'm looking forward to it as much as ever. It's a really unique event.
    I agree with 4x4xFinch's comments.

I haven't tried the Reeds Chillcheaters.
    Personally I've always run it in an old longsleeved Helly Hanson Thermal with a singlet over the top, and a pair of neoprene injury/warm up shorts, plus hat and gloves of course.
    What ever you do dont wear any sort of long trackster type leggings. They just get soaked and covered in wet mud becoming a nightmare to run in.

One litle tip for when you get to the bridge and have to go fully under the water is to slow down and take your time. It's easy to rush and panic yourself particularly when your head explodes from the cold.
    Being thrightened of water, one year I tried to get under the bridge as quickly as possible, but by rushing I missed the gap in the bridge and instead came up under the bridge hitting my head. Fortunately, the marshal grabbed my head and pulled it up out of the water so I could breath.
    Since then I've taken my time and it's been much easier.

It's brilliant if you've got a supporter who can come along and help you at the finish. The first year I did TG I was slighly hypothermic and I couldn't co-ordinate enough to undress and get changed. Having someone there to strip you off and help you dress is a lifesaver.
    I know it's obvious but remember a bin bag to put your muddy clothes in. A bin liner to wear at the start can also be useful if it's really cold, as you can end up standing around for a while waiting to start.

Most of all though have fun and enjoy yourself.

• Options
    Did this in 1999 & 2000 - great event. Like to think I may be over my assortment of injuries to make it to the 2004 event!

Good luck all
  • Options
    Can one of you guys tell me what this event is all about because it sounds damn interesting.

Dolphin in anticipation.
  • Options
    Dolphin,

Check out www.toughguy.co.uk

H
  • Options
    I'm doing the forthcoming TG (I did the summer one last year but I know that doesn't quite count) - is wearing gloves recommended?

I've got a pair of zip-up neoprene gloves which I'm considering taking.

• Options
    Runningdan
    I've always started out with gloves, as I generally always do when running in winter.
    They sell some cheap ones for a £1 at the start, which consist of a thin glove and a surgical glove to wear over the top with elastic band to waterproof them. They are pretty naff, but they do help a bit. I've found once on the obstacles and they've filled up with water I've just thrown them away. ( I dont mind when they are only £1).
    Last year it was quite mild and they spent most of the race tucked into my shorts.

Your Neoprene ones sounds interesting. As long as they're not too stiff and you can still use your fingers enough for the climbing then give them a go.

PS
    I know someone who did the race in a pair of Marigolds once. They were suggested as a joke but he took it seriously. He said they were good, but he was probably trying to save face a bit.

• Options
    has anybody got their race numbers yet......or do they arrive just in the nick of time??
  • Options
    Andy T, Thanks I'll give the neoprene ones a try - they're actually meant to be cycling gloves but I've never used them. They should be pretty tough and also not get too saggy when soaked through.

No race numbers yet, but got my parking tickets a few days ago.
  • Options
    Hi everyone

Sorry its taken me so long to get back to you all, I've had a bit of a personal tragedy so been a bit preoccupied.

Thanks for all your posts, I have taken a lot on board, I did purchase some of the chillcheaters, the top is just too hot to run in but the bottoms are fine, I think I'll just wear a Helly Hansen Long sleeve with them.

Unfortunately my training has gone out of the window so God knows how hard I'll find it but still going to be there

Good Luck to everyone I'll post my race number as soon as I get it.
  • Options
    Nick,

Sorry re your personal tragedy. Regards training you'll be okay. The second time I did it, I roped some colleagues in, I'd laid off running from the August (injury) and one week before the event pulled my hamstring whilst exerting myself on the dancefloor.

There was no backing out since I'd roped everyone else in. It was hard work, got electrocuted on the Tiger (knocked me over -quite funny really) and took 5 hours!!

Still worth it - enjoy the experience!!!

H
  • Options
    ....did I mention beers, a four course meal and a full English breakfast before the start - all part of the training!
  • Options
    Guys.
    This is my 4th time round. Did it in 99,00 and 02. Apart from the good and plentiful advice provided above and of course, don't forget the hill training, I can only add to bring a nose peg, because you could be forgiven for passing out at The Elephant's Graveyard, Phew, what a smell. If you jump into it, try not to use your hands to steady yourself, as wiping the sweat away later smelling line elephant dung is not a pleasant experience.
    I agree with the comment above about a full english breakfast. I've always had a full english about 4 hours beforehand and have been glad I did each time. No ill effects on the course. Definitely go for a quick start if you can, as I too have found it's much easier when you are even just 10 or so minutes ahead of the thousands of wetnecks and the like. Tough Guy squad, here we come.
    By the way, got my carpark and visitors pass yesterday, hope the number comes soon as last year I had to go up to the farmhouse when I got up there at about 7pm on the saturday night. Not easy to find in the dark.
    Good luck guys.
    AND "Top o' the mornin to ya", for those who did it last year. (You'll know what I mean).
    TG1.
  • Options
    This is my 1st time in TG, all tips r welcome. is that true about the full english, how far round is it, what tops r best and how many,sorry to bombard u all but its nice to have a little help on yer 1st time don't u think. thanx and hope 2 speak 2 some of u soon.
  • Options
    Dexy

Most of what to wear has been discussed above, but to give a run down.

The majority of runners wear Helly Hanson long sleeved Thermal tops.
    Wear shorts not leggings.
    Plus hat and gloves, during the out run you might not need them, but everything slows down at the obstacles and you will get cold.
    The best footwear are fell running type shoes. What ever you do DONT wear spikes, as they can be lethal to other runners on the obstacles. (Also if you get caught in them you'll get booted out)

With regard to eating, eat what you're comfortable with.
    If you've got any spectators they can pass you a drink and chewy bar when you get to the obstacles.

The official distance is 8 'country' miles, and in reality it's probably best to keep it at that and forget it. The distance isn't really the issue as you cant compare it to a normal race. Running through water and mud slows you down and makes everything harder and seem longer.

No one seems to have got their race numbers yet, they are normally here by now though, so hopefully they should be on their way.

Goodluck and have fun.

And to reply to TG1 "and the rest of the day to yourself sir"
  • Options
    Dexy,

I did have a full English in the morning the second time I did it and probably over indulged the night before. I knew I was going to be taking it easier than the previous time and was out with a group of friends to enjoy myself.

I agree with Andy T about eating what you're comfortable with. Re clothing Helly Hansen long is definitely the order of the day and shorts. I brought petroleum jelly with me the first time and put a good layer on before getting dressed. I think it helped keep out the cold. A hat is a plus and gloves as long as they last are worth it at the start.

Lastly, bring lots of layers to change into. I remember travelling home the first time sitting on the train with my long John's and track bottoms, a thermal top, two more layers and my running jacket. I'm sure passengers thought I was a nutter as some where dressed in T shirts, however don't care about what people think so long as your warm and comfortable - his is what's important.

Anyway you'll be fine!

Good luck

H
  • Options
    I got my number today: 3326

Also received the "Death Warrant" - the disclaimer you must hand in on the day or they won't let you run it! Very important!
  • Options
    Or you can just right your own number on your forehead and not worry about queueing up if you are running late.
    Just make sure you don't a) wear spikes or b) line up in the wrong area, as people trying to get nearer to the front than their race number permits are usually singled out and put in a cage (or something like that) until after the last person has crossed the line. You have been warned !
    TG1.
  • Options
    thanx 4 all the replies folks, very much appreciated. had my race number today (friday) 4591. and last instructions, death warrant etc.... there will b 2 mins silence for the policeman stabbed in manchester this week, he was a regular TG entrant . gives us all a bit more incentive. condolances to his family..
    thanx again and hope to meet some of u on sunday.(i'll b the one with the glazed look.
  • Options
    Good luck to you all.
    Got my number (1906) on Saturday. Toughguy, here we come. One last thing guys & gals, don't forget to use extra long laces so you can tie them round your shoes, or you'll be exiting dead leg marsh minus a shoe or two.
    See you all there.
    TG1.
  • Options
    I just checked the website and they've posted some new information there:

http://www.toughguy.co.uk/Welcome-to-Tough-Guy.htm

Nothing much that isn't in the info sent with the race number, but worth having a look.

The weather forecast indicates a big temperature drop in time for the weekend too!
  • Options
    Number 4680, death warrant already filled out and as ready as I'll ever be, hope to see some of you there but will probably be still spluttering & shivering at the water tunnel by the time you lot will have finished

cheers

NM
  • Options
    Agree with all the above comments. This will be my third winter, fifth TG in total.

The main thing is don't take it too seriously. My routine every year has been to stay in a nearby hotel with a curry house next door ... have the hottest possible curry we can stand plus four or five pints and then a full English in the morning. Still managed a top 100 finish last year so it can't have done too much harm even if it does differ from my usual premarathon routine.

Can't wait for Sunday.
  • Options
    4 days to go - let's hope all that river running, tunnel crawling etc pays off on Sunday.

Good luck to everyone competing, especially the 1st timers (like me).

Last one finished buys the bacon rolls !
  • Options
    I better raid my piggy bank then
  • Options
    The official Toughguy website is full of unintelligible claptrap. I can’t pretend to be an expert but, given the absence of sensible and practicable advice from the organisers, I shall endeavour to pass on what I have learned from the past 5 winters.

Advice on what to wear:
    1. Do not wear anything unless you are prepared for it to get very wet and muddy.
    2. Neoprene socks are recommended but verruca socks (from Chemists) or plastic bags will also suffice.
    3. Ensure shoes are secured tightly to your feet as they can become separated in deep mud of which there is plenty.
    4. Lightweight PVC trousers and jacket (get them cheap from Army Surplus stores) give good protection from mud, water and rough surfaces like straw, stones,netting etc. but, best of all, you can slide effortlessly through the mud.
    5. A waterproof body warmer is essential. There is nothing worse than cold, wet material clinging to your skin. Look up Diving Schools under Yellow Pages and ask
    to borrow or hire one – I did.
    6. Keep a swimming cap in your pocket. There is a point in the event where you are expected to swim under a bridge but your head is boiling and the water is freezing and I have seen some people faint from the shock to their system.
    7. A lot of people choose to wear hats but I strongly recommend you carry it for the first 5 minutes or so as a lot of them fly off or get ensnared in overhead branches
    and if you are in the middle of a charging pack you cannot stop to retrieve it.
    8. Gloves (not woollen) are essential for tackling the obstacles.
    9. Tough Guys/Gals love the smell of Vaseline in the morning as it gives extra protection from the elements to your ‘hills and valleys’.
    10.You may want to buy a disposable camera, pop in a plastic bag and wear it on your wrist.
    11.Take some Barley Sugar sweets with you – very comforting.
    12.At the end of the race you will receive a medal/horse brass on a ribbon but if you want to keep your race number as well then cover it in polythene for protection and attach it very securely about your person.

Take your own marker pen with you and get someone to write your number on your forehead. The official 'death warrant' area turns to bedlam 15 minutes before the start.

I should point out that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of people who don't do any of the above but still manage to complete the course anyway.

End of Part 1.
  • Options

Part 2.

The Obstacles

The first few obstacles consist of fences and ditches - no real problem unless you are in a tight pack in which case hold on to your hat otherwise it will fly away or get caught up in branches.

Slalom: Up and down a very steep and very muddy bank 4-5 times. Take a strong plastic bag to sit on and enjoy the ride downhill.

Elephants Graveyard: Imagine 3 concrete swimming pools (6’ deep) part filled with muck and slime. Pair up with someone and take turns to push/pull each other.

Behemoth: 4 giant haystacks (20 ft) each separated by a 20 foot rope bridge.
    Stand on the bottom rope and hold the top rope firmly with both hands.
    Move along the rope by making star shapes with your arms and legs. There are 3 parallel crossings choose the one with most people on it as this often the most stable.
    The rope bridges become more and more slack during the course of the day so don’t leave it too late.

Fiery Holes: Narrow passages made from burning straw bales - you will glad of the warmth.

Tyre Crawl: Long horizontal cylinder of tyres. Enter head first and facing up.
    Push with your feet and pull with your arms. If you go in facing down the wire rims of the tyres will cut into your knees.

High Water Crawl: Deep trenches filled with a very thick soup of water and straw.
    Jump as far as you can and hope the person in front of you has the courtesy to extend a helping hand to pull you out.

The Swamp: Exactly what it says.
    A field of knee deep mud which will pull your shoes off if they are not tied securely. Pair up with someone and place arms on each others shoulders for extra stability.

Vietcong Tunnels: A series of long tunnels. Choose the concrete drainage tunnels in the middle. Go in head first and facing up. Place your hands above your head and scrabble about until you can feel a pipe join. Give an almighty heave.
    If you are lucky you will have slid sufficient distance to raise your knees and put your feet in the pipe join. Give an almighty push. If you are lucky again you will have slid sufficient distance for your hands to reach the next pipe join.
    Repeat as before. Try to follow someone who looks fit and agile as you don’t won’t be stuck behind someone who is having a screaming panic attack.

Paradise Climb: A huge cats cradle of logs and cargo netting. Pair up with someone and try to walk along the netting it easier than you think.

Water Tunnel: Everyone hates this except the spectators of course who absolutely love it. Imagine 4 timber beams (18" thick) laid across a river (5 ft deep). There is a small gap between each of the beams but no gap between the beams and the water. Participants must therefore duck underneath each beam. Make no mistake. This obstacle is not for the claustrophobic.

Bailly Bridge: Rickety bridge comprising of plastic barrels, bamboo canes and string. Form a line of four, arms on each others shoulders and walk across in step.

Stalag Escape: Crawl through mud under barbed wire. Anyone with PVC trousers or top will slide through this with the greatest of ease.

It has always been my dream to complete the course in full Elvis Presley regalia including a lightweight pa system belting out the king's greatest hits.

I hope this information is of help to you.

• Options
    I just want to wish everyone doing this good luck. I saw it on countryfile last year, it looks great. I might see you there next year. I'll be watching countryfile this year, in my pj's, warm and snug. You guys enjoy it though!
  • Options
    Paul - thanks for this - info worth its weight in gold !!!

I've had to pull out of this years, but I am so up for the next winter one !

Good luck y'all !