Options

National Autistic Society

Anyone else out there? I ran for them in 2004 and am doing it again in 2006. Feeling lonely, though!

Comments

• Options
    Nobody else then? Oh well.....
  • Options
    Hi Jiggi,
    noooo,
    you are not alone....
    my eldest son has got ASD
    and I have sent for the applicationforms from the NAS, but to me 1500 pounds seems like soo much. I did the Great North Run last year for Autism West Midlands and hard work and lots of baking got us £360!
    What is your plan???/
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    My eldest son has asperger's syndrome.

I just run for the thrill of it though, not for him. I spend the rest of my time worrying about that, and it's nice to spend a bit of time on my own.

Best of luck though.
  • Options
    I have applied for a place with the NAS too. I have worked with quite a few children with autism so I guess that is why.
    Really need to get on with the training now!
    Am a little worried about raising enough money but I managed £1250 a couple of years ago (for a different charity) so it should be possible!
    How is your training going?
  • Options
    I ran FLM for the NAS in 2002, 2003 and 2004 (it was a mailshot from the NAS that started me running in the first place), but the fundraising became increasingly difficult and I decided not to take a Gold Bond place again.
  • Options
    I have not run a marathon so far,,,only in my dreams!! It is an achivement to have done that, and I am working on it.Feel my running has to ''mature'' for another year or so. Have done several halves, so we'll see.
    Started running to get an ''outlet'' for things when my son was diagnosed with ASD a few years ago.Going down the railraytrack for a run worked instead of pills!!And now I can't stop!

• Options
    I ran for NAS last year with my own place raising £1200.My nephew was diagnosed on the autistic spectrum just before London. Have applied again through the ballot, and if not successful, will try through my local running club, and if not successful there will apply for NAS bond place. I agree £1500 is a lot to raise, but NAS is one of the smaller charities and needs as many people as it can to run for them.
  • Options
    Anybody else running for NAS ? Now hoping I have place through ballot as cheque was cashed in first batch 28th October. Will have to wait till December to be sure. Have started training earlier this year.
  • Options

Have got place through ballot, so will probably run for NAS again. Anybody else out there going to run for them as well. Would be nice to speak to people running for same cause.
  • Options
    Me! me! me!
    Yes, I'm running for them again. Have my own place as definitely couldn't run to the Gold bond figure. There's only so muh you can ask people to donate, and hving a child with an ASD leaves limited time for table-top sales, coffee mornings etc!!
    let's keep in touch!
    Jiggs
  • Options
    Jiggi

I know how much my brother's time is taken with his four year old. Just raise what you can. It all helps in the end. I received a recent letter from the society, which said they raised well over £100,000 last year, the best yet.

Would be good to keep up with how training is progressing. April 23 will soon come round. I have started a little earlier this year, as I now know what I am letting myself in for. I am lucky that I can run a couple of days a week with my local club.

Jockster
  • Options
    Thanks Jockster. It does help to keep it all in proportion. I don't think many of us enjoy the fundraising marathon on top of the real thing!!
    How's your nephew doing?
    Jiggs
  • Options

Jiggi

Sorry for the delay in replying. Am only able to use PC at work, or relying on friends. My PC is out of action for the moment, so my posts on forum may be intermittent.

My nephew is progressing really well, he recently started at school in Stockport, and seems to be enjoying it. He is not speaking yet, but is a happy child and progressing in many other ways. His parents are presently considering the next school for when he turns 5. They have a few choices and are quite lucky in the area they live.

How old is your child. I bet it is quite difficult to fit in your training. Just seeing my brother with him makes me realise how demanding it can be.

Jockster
  • Options
    I have two boys the eldest of whom is autistic is 9 years old. He started out at mainstream school(2 actually) which was absolutely not the right place for him. He now goes to a local special school for children with ASD and it has revolutioised all our lives. He is happy, learning, doesn't have panic attacks like he used to and his behaviour has improved out of all recognition.
    Does your brother have access to the internet? Has he seen the national autistic society website, it's very useful
    (www.nas.org.uk I think).
    Training is slow to start, but it also acts as my "down" time so I have to be careful not to make it into another stress!!
    How are you getting on? It's not too cold in London today so I'm looking forward to my run. I'm just waiting for my running buddies to arrive.
    You can mail me if you want more detailed autism chat!!
    Have a good day
    Jiggs
  • Options
    Good to hear, Jiggi! That your son is so happy in the special scool.We are awaiting the panel meeting on this Thursday.My son is ten, and is totally failing in mainstream, with a diagnose of ASD.
    And yes, I do run!! A good stress relief, and lots of other benefits.
    Still thinking of the Marathon though.
    Well done,you all for signing up.
    Gunnel
  • Options
    G.J I'll be thinking of you all on Thursday.
    Have you tried your local Parent Partnership? We have found their help and support invaluable.
    Best of luck to you all
    Jiggi
    P.S. Lovely run yesterday, made even better because of the support from here!
  • Options
    Hi Jiggs

My brother doesn't have the internet, so I usually pass articles onto him. He was thinking of joining the society. Are you a member.
    He is learning a lot of new things from the parents with autistic children he is coming into contact with at the current school. It has been good for him and his wife to meet others.

Had 2 races this weekend, which is unusual, Saturday was cross country, very muddy and tiring, yesterday a road race in Preston, cold but nice scenery on country lanes. My legs seem to hold up well. You are right, you have to try and not make the training too stressful. Will probably have a day off today.

Do you have a time you would like to run in the marathon or is it a case of just getting round.

Jockster
  • Options
    Just a notice about societies....
    Depending on where your brother lives,
    but I have found our 'local'' Autism.West.Midlands very useful. with info about conferences,books,supportgroups etc.
    Gunnel
  • Options
    Jockster
    Yes I am a member of the NAS and find their publications really helpful. They also have a Parent to Parent telephone line (you don't need to be a member to call) where you can speak to another parent(freefone 0800 9520 520) for support. There is also a more formal help line (tel 0845 0704004) again no need to be a member. When you get the chance, log on to their website you can download and print loads of useful stuff.

Unbelievable! Two races in a weekend, how fantastic is that?! I just had a jolly 8 miles round Richmond park in the misty morning- beautiful!
    As far as a time for the Marathon, last time I ran it (2004) I was aiming for 4.30 and was right on track until 16 miles when my right hamstring just locked. I hobbled and jogged the last (and very long) 10 miles making it round in just under 6 hours!! The moral of that story? For me is aim for a time, but just be glad to make it round in one piece. Yes I was disapointed, but then I considered why I run, and also that many of the children I work with (I'm a children's physio) can't stand or walk, let alone run, so I decided to be greatful I made it at all. This time? I'd like to manage 4.30, but we'll see........
  • Options
    Hi guys, mind if I join in? I'm running for the NAS in 2006 and am also a member of the NAS as my eldest son, who is 6, is also autistic.
  • Options
    The more the merrier, Happy Chappy. Is it first time you have run London, and for the Society.

Jiggi, it doesn't matter what time you finish. We all runs for different reasons and have our own aims. I just try not to put too much pressure on myself.I finished in 3 hours 37 last year,might have gone quicker, but found it quite congested. My first aim is get to the start line, then to enjoy the day, and soak up the unbelievable atmosphere.

Thanks all for the information. My brother will find it most useful.

Jockster
  • Options
    Thanks Jockster. It's my first marathon and the first time I've raised money for the NAS. They've been extrememly helpful, so I thought it was time to give something back.

The training seems to be going pretty well so far, as is the fund raising. Sure there'll be a spanner in the works soon....
  • Options
    Jockster: Fabulous running! You are right of course, let's run for the joy of it!! Glad the info is of some use.
    Happy Chappy
    welcome. Don't worry about spanners, they just make the journey more interesting.
    Jiggs
  • Options

Hello all

Yes I agree with Jiggi, there are lots of pitfalls on the way to next April. My experience last year taught me that. Just have to take them as they come. May seem a long way off, but comes round quick. Happy Chappy, what are you hoping for in your first marathon.

I find one of the hardest things is getting all the money in, but youjust have to push it, as NAS being one of the lesser known causes , needs all the promotion it can get.

Off to local club for regular Weds training run tonight. At least the fog has cleared in Manchester.

Jockster
  • Options
    Have a great run. I'm on a rest day, out again tomorrow.
  • Options
    Hello all,
    have decided to stay with halves for a bit more (my time for those is closer to your marathon times, two hours ,so I feel I need more time)
    Going for the Gothenborg one in May, and anything that might come up before that! my goal is to do a marathon before my fiftieth birthday, so a two more years to train!
    I will be following your trainging closely!
    Do I need two years training before a Marathon??????
    Gunnel
  • Options

Gunnnel, Gothenborg sounds good.

What is your best time for a half. This is always a good guide to how you should prepare for a marathon. When you finally take the plunge, give yourself at least 4 months. Doesn’t matter if you are completing it in 2 hours or 6, you need to have the right preparation. London was my first attempt last year. Started training at beginning of Jan. Think this helped as only started to fade in last mile.

Had day off Thursday, but did a bit of yoga at the local college. End of a ten week course. I would recommend it, especially when you can have a nice bit of relaxation (or sleep in some cases) at end. The stretching definitely helps as I normally a little lazy about this sort of thing. Only light training this weekend as have cross-country race in Bolton on Sunday afternoon.

Just realised I haven’t let NAS know that I will run for them with own place. Must find letter they sent me from last year, and return it. Would be interesting to know how forumites out there are planning to run for NAS. Know they had well over 100 runners last year.

Hope everyone else is ticking over. Enjoy your weekends.

Jockster
  • Options
    Had to take a few days off training because of a horrid head cold. Am nowpanicking because I've missed a few days, but I'm trying to think of it as a few days now rather than loads later.
    How are you guys doing?
  • Options
    Hi Jiggi

Few days off won't do any harm. You are doing the right thing. I just look at it that you are always going to get interruptions at this time of year anyway, especially in the 2 weeks before christmas. I just do what I can at this time and then hopefully get cracking again in the New Year.

Ran cross country on Sunday in Bolton,lovely day good run, but tweaked ankle due to muddy conditions, nothing serious, but enough to take the next 2 or 3 days off. Always best to rest if you don’t feel right. I always feel better for it when I come back.

Two weeks before London last year, I had a bit of an alarm, with a few twinges in knee, but took 5 days of rest, and everything was fine in the end.

Jockster
  • Options
    Hi,

First...Gothenborg is to recommend!! A ''half'' over big bridges and along the water most of the time,fantastic views(did it this May also) and well organized!

And my son got into the special school! It is both a relief and then the sadness that it did not work out in mainstream. But I just know that he will blossom in this school, like your son,I hope, Jiggi.
    And we actually did a race together for the first time in September( with this van following us very closely behind but who cares!!)!!! And the other day he just said out of the blue '' when are we doing the next race,mum?''
    So I have got many good reasons to run!!

Gunnel