Options

National Autistic Society

Comments

• Options
    Jockster, you are so reassuring, thank you. I find it's easy to get things out of proportion with a marathon looming!
    Gunnel FANTASTIC news! Trust me, the sadness will fade really quickly once you see the change in him at his new school. With my son the summer holidays between schools was the toughest I've ever had. There were virtually no playgrounds left that we could go to because of his behaviour (attacking usually tiny children who had unwittingly crossed some invisible line in his game). Once he was at the ASD school his behaviour changed for the better almost imediately, it was as if he suddenly felt understood and could relax and enjoy learning rather than having panic attacks and so on. Enjoy the triumph! Enjoy the running! Jiggs
  • Options
    I know this is really cheeky and I'm not sure I'm supposed to do it, but if anyone wants to sponsor me you can on www.justgiving.com/thea2006
    Reprt me if you must, but I hope it's OK!
  • Options
    Jockster, I'm hoping to hit 3:30. I've got a cross country tomorrow, which I'm not really looking forward to!

So far, I've got around £ 2,000 for the NAS but hope to raise more for them over the coming weeks. Which reminds me, I need to send my forms back to them. Are you guys going to the get together in Feb?
  • Options

Jiggi

Would be happy to sponsor you. Will have a look at the site. Are you managing to fit any runs in at this busy time. Managing to get out every other day at the moment in between all the other stuff. Nice hour run today, cold, but lovely clear day, and got me away from the shops!

Happy Chappy. I know what you mean about cross country, but it is the best training you can do in my view. I did a 7 miles event last week, and was is like doing 10 miles on the road. Looks like we are aiming for similar times, I would like to get under 3 hours 15, but we'll see.

Would like to go the get together, but it will prove difficult finding the time, and getting down from here in Manchester.

I need to start pushing for sponsorship!

Gunnel, really pleased for you and your son regarding the school. Hope it goes well. Great that you did a race together.

Happy training to all.

Jockster
  • Options
    Hi All

I have just got a Gold Bond place for the NAS. It is my first ever marathon attempt - it's been a life-long dream to able to say "I did the London Marathon". Now all that stands in my way of that dream is to actually run 26 miles!

I am an overweight, inconsistent runner. My furthest distance so far is 10k. But I am inspired to do this for my 3 godsons - all brothers under 7 and all autistic.

Any advice will be very welcome.

Angela x
  • Options
    Angela, Welcome! What a great Godmother you must be.
    I'd say take it gently. Have a look at some of the schedules (don't be put off by them) and see where you think you best fit in. Personally, I am a slow and steady kind of person, and I aim to get round having enjoyed it and in one piece so I can run again without having to take loads of time off because of injury. Also, listen to your body, if it says rest then rest. Try and find a running partner so you have some company and it really helps with the motivation!
    Good luck!
    Jiggi
  • Options
    Goodness me, Angela. I wish I was as good a godparent as you....cracking stuff.

I did my cross country yesterday, Jockster. Was good fun actually, although I'm not one of these that runs in vests, I have to wrap up!!

Gunnel, how did you get your son to run with you? My lad has started to play rugby and football and it's great watching him join in with the others. We'll see where things lead.
  • Options
    Welcome Angela

I second all that Jiggi says. All sensible and sound advice. I found the the most important thing last year was listening to my body and having rest days. You will definately find your inspiration with your godsons.

Happy Chappy, nothing wrong with wrapping up, it always best to start out with too much on rather than not enough.Glad the race went well.

Night off tonight.

Jockster
  • Options
    Guys am very thrilled that so far I have raised £289.74 through justgiving! Still a long way to go, but it does give you a bit of extra oomph!
    Hope you are all going well. I'm having a night off tonight. Things are getting hectic with the rapid approach of Christmas!
    Jiggs
  • Options
    Jiggi, just checked your page - over £ 400. Fab stuff, nearly half way already.

I'm aiming to do 15 miles tonight, just to get one in before Christmas and then tuck in to as many mince pies as I can possibly eat in a week.

Have you guys all sent your golden bond forms back to Polly?
  • Options
    HC, I know! I'm so excited and the money isn't even for me!!
    Seriously, it really is great the way people rally round. I included the web address with my Christmas cards: Cheeky, but helpful! I am in the fortunate position of being an own place runner, but sent my form to Polly at the end of last week, so it'll probably arrive after the Christmas post. Are you guys going to the pasta party in Feb?
    Have a great run tonight. How many mince pies does 15 miles equate to?
    Jiggs
  • Options
    Hello to all

Hope you are not too exhausted from the build-up to Christmas.

Out tomorrow mid-morning with clubmate for longish run, probably about 12 miles, then couple of days off.

Jiggi, will get on your sponsorship site soon, as have now sorted PC at home. Happy Chappy, have sent off my own place form to register with Polly at NAS.

Have a couple of 5 mile races next week Tuesday and Thursday, proceeds of both going to worthy causes.This should help to work off the next few days excesses, and will just be as good as training.

Happy christmas to all.

Jockster
  • Options
    Dear All
    Just back from an unseasonably mild 6 miles! R&R for the next few days then back in to it!
    Have a fabulous Christmas!
    Jiggi x
  • Options
    Hi all
    My eldest son is autistic and I'm running for NAS.
    Nick1
  • Options
    Brilliant Nick and welcome!
    Just back from a snowy 9 miles: beautiful!
  • Options
    Welcome Nick, great that you can join us.

Had good, cold, icy 5 mile race on yeterday.Easy run tomorrow and 5 mile trail race for charity on Thursday.

Jiggi, saw my brother over the holidays. He is grateful for the info I have passed to him from the forum. It has also been good to see more of my nephew over the holidays, and how he is progressing.

Jockster
  • Options
    Brr,
    it is like running in Sweden sometimes!!

Happy Chap, you asked how I got my son to run?Well, it was only that one time, but he has asked when the next race is, never mind running in between....! But here is how I did it ''incentive''!! That is a sum of money, and both my boys did the race. Now it is of course a well known trick with kids with ASD, I just knew it might take a bit more than a sticker to get him out running!! In between we do swimming and walking, and life is not too bad.
    Christmas is gone, and I for one am grateful,ask no more.
    Had a beautiful run am first in snow and then the sunrise over the fields.That is better than pills!!!
    Take care and don't slip!!
    Gunnel
  • Options
    Thanks for the welcome.

It is cold out there but I think it's great weather to run in. Clear, crisp, snow, blue sky and no mud! 8 miles on Monday and 6 today. It's great to have the time during the holidays and not have to rush in a run before/after work.

I'm trying to find out if there are other runners training for the FLM out there. Is there a forum somewhere to find out? I'm in Chinnor in Oxon.

Nick
  • Options
    Nick

You could start up your own thread looking for others training in your area. If you have no luck with this, there is nothing lost.

London last year was my first and as yet only marathon. I did quite a lot of training on my own, but was lucky as could also train at least a couple of days a week with my local club. This really helped when I was in the heart of the training.

Is London your first marathon.

Jockster
  • Options
    Jockster, Glad your brother found the information helpful and that your nephew is doing well. I'm with Gunnel, Christmas day was really tough for my son even tho' we keep it low key, it was still too much hype and pressure for him. He's settled down a bit now, thank goodness!
    Out for a chilly run tomorrow, have fun guys!
    Jiggs
  • Options
    YES HAPPY NEW RUNNING YEAR TO YOU ALL!

May it bring no injuries but lots of great experiences to us,and energy to continue.

And a fantastic London run to you all brave ones that have signed up and are in training.

GOTT NYTT AR!

Gunnel
  • Options
    Health and happiness to you all!
  • Options
    Jockster
    Thank you so much for sponsoring me! I really appreciate it. Hope all is going well with you. I'm finding hill training a "challenge" shall we say, but who doesn't?!
    Thanks again
    Jiggs
  • Options
    Hi Jiggi

Things are going ok, had a few sniffles, nothing too serious, so haven't missed any training. Know what you mean about hills. We did our first session last night.
    Received all the stuff from NAS last week, will start pushing my sponsors now.

Hope training is going well for everyone else.

Jockster
  • Options
    Jockster
    I'd like to sponsor you if you let me know how!
    Jiggs
  • Options
    Hi Jiggi

Hope you are well and training is going to plan. Have had no major hiccups so far,(fingers crossed!).

Thanks for the offer of sponsorship.

Things have started moving on this front, with lots of support from both friends and work. Have today set up online sponsorship site. http://www.justgiving.com/jockster

Jockster
  • Options
    So far so good with the training (fingers crossed too). I'm definitely more tired and VERY hungry so I'm trying to get enough rest and eat sensibly. Glad things are going well for you. Are you going to the pasta party?
  • Options
    Jiggi

Many thanks for the sponsorship, it's much appreciated. Would very much have liked to have gone to pasta party, but it would have been a bit of a trek for me! Let me know how it went.

The NAS sent me a press release to look at, and they have passed it on to local media in Manchester. If it gets me abit of interest, even just one more sponsor, i'll be happy.

I usually see my nephew once a week,he is really progressing, and happy in his current school.

Jockster
  • Options
    Hi all

I'm another NAS runner in 2006 (autistic 9 year old son). My wife and daughter are coming up to London with me, but haven't decided whether they are going to watch from Limehouse or find somewhere else to go.

I've done 18 miler that nearly killed me, but pleased to have done a 17 miler today that left me in good shape - even had a kick finish for the last mile. Hoping to get round in about 4:15.

Fund raising is up to about £800 in total so far, but I am due to have a blitz in work this week (but don't tell them that or they will all forget their wallets).

WildeRover