Options

FLM 2006 Sub 4 hours

Comments

• Options
    Hi all. Haven't been around for a while. Hope everyone's welland keeping injury free. I've just been counting up how many weeks 'til GNR - not many now. Had a week in the lake district last week - didn't do much running but did do a total of about 35 miles walking (including hills) while we were there. Going to France next in a week so am going to pack the trainers and see what happens!!!

If I get chance I will read back and see what you are all up to.

Application form for FLM 07 arrived on the door step the other day. I know I said never again - but am seriously tempted! Must be some kind of sick addiction I am starting to acquire!
  • Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Motr - the holidays are for relaxing, enjoying new forms of exercise, or just recovering - so have a great time in France (of course, they all cycle there...!)
    As you're training for the GNR, are you doing the energy bar trial? I've got to the point where I dread having to eat the sickly, gooey things - and there are still 58 of them to get through!!
    Anyone else on the trial?
  • Options
    Hi,
    I did the New York Marathon and got 3:58:34, would like to do better but there is no better feeling than completing a marathon and getting a good time. The only problem is fitting in the training around work if you have any training tips please tell. Keep the training up,
    Love steve.
  • Options
    Don't know anything about a trial but wouldn't fancy it much anyway. Not a big fan of the few bars I've tried. Fruit pastilles are my favourites!!!
  • Options
    I agree Motr - I try to treat eating fruit pastilles like stretching - everyday, whether I run or not!
  • Options
    Hi all,

Blousey am gutted for you. That is awful.

Don't think I am going to be able to make GNR.

Would anyone like my place? It's for free. All I ask is you make a small donation to my web site.

E mail me on gareth.j.jones@blaenau-gwent.gov.uk
  • Options
    I think we are in danger of this thread falling off the front page! What a shame :(
  • Options
    A little more application needed from us all, RD, I think. Sadly, I've been crocked for a couple of months - only just getting back on the road . . .
  • Options
    My first 10km!, Midhurst on Saturday raining before we started but ok during the run. Very happy with my time of 53:02 which is a good 5 minutes faster than I thought I would achieve. I will aim for another couple of 10k's this year but am interested in 15km at Worthing on December 3rd, I also picked up my entry for Flora 2006 but haven't put it in the post yet.
  • Options
    Well done Andrew! Good running mate.

You may be a little late for FLM 2006 but just in time for FLM 2007 ;0)

Fingers crossed for you SBF
  • Options
    Hi RD,
    thanks for your thoughts it has been awful for all concerned i am back running although i appear to have some form of trapped nerve problem.

will be doing Nottingham half although not in as good a shape as FLM, then keddleston 10k then GNR, managed 33 minute 4 miles tonight quickest run for a few weeks but that was flat most of my runs have BIG HILLS these days,

keep up the good work and hope i see you soon !!
    regards the Blouse, forever a plodder
  • Options
    hi all

still here and running...occasionally! Normal life has taken over and I can't seem to form any sort of regular training pattern.

Looks like Abingdon is out for me - I won't be anywhere near ready, but have got the New Forest Half in a few weeks so that's my priority at the moment.

Want to get some speed sessions in soon, but alas keep finding excuses!

Well done everyone who is keeping up the momentum...

dtf
  • Options
    Blimey guys at this rate I'll be the only sub 4 forumer running Abingdon. I'm managing to stick to the FIRST 3 runs a week and I've been injury free which is great. The speed sessions are really hard but it's definately helped me get a 10k PB of 46:16 on a hilly course, which I hope to beat on a flat course this coming Sunday. I think it's also helped me improve my 5k time to 21:52 which is only 3 seconds slower than a PB achieved 4 years ago and I felt a lot better after the 21:52 of a few weeks ago than I did after the effort 4 years ago so, I'm feeling fit and healthy, which is lovely.

I'm doing the London Duathlon in Septemebr for a bit of variety and a half marathon in September too -I think my PB of 4 years ago of 1:41 something is safe but i'd like to beat the 1:45 I got early in the summer not long after FLM. problem is the septemebr half is described as "undulating but not seriously so" I'll reserve judgment until after I've finished it!

All in all I'm enjoying the running and the FIRST schedule I'm using for Abingdon much more than I enjoyed the Hal Higdon Indtermediate II programme I used for FLM - the wheels well and truly fell off with that one, so fingers crossed this time round.

Is anyone else out there still doing OK on the Abingdon training/FIRST schedule?

• Options
    UmbongoUmbongo ✭✭✭
    Hi All - I am still planning on doing Abingdon after Loch Ness Marathon on 1 October. Hope for a sub-4 at LN but who knows? Not going to bust a gut and if things not right will just treat it as training run for Abingdon.

Not sure what shape I am in at moment as just starting 20 milers. Managed PB in a 10k a couple of weeks back but haven't been racing to focus on 'building my base'. Not sure how built my base is at present.

Find training for October marathon harder than for Spring marathon as there doesn't seem to be as many training races about.

Umb
  • Options
    Thanks RD: I'm now up to 50 minutes runs (started with 5 minutes a few weeks ago) so definitely making progress. But it does seem a long time ago since we were all talking about 20 mile training runs . . . . !

I was never an Abingdon contender, but did sign up for Cardiff before I got injured. Maybe I'll make it . . .

BTW, where has the inimitable Cas got to . . . . ?
  • Options
    Blousey 'forever a plodder'. Can I remind you that you are a sub 4 marathon runner!!! Hope to see you soon too mate :)

DTF - you are still running thats got to be the main thing. I totally agree with Umbongo, it is harder to 'get going' for an autumn half.

As good as Abingdon and Cardiff are, they still don't have that London thing do they?! Am I making sense to anyone?

I am really enjoying my running at the moment. Whatever my time is at Cardiff, not too concerned. I have a 10K this Sunday and I really am chomping at the bit to get going. Then Bristol half next month and ditto for that. If I get pb's in both these, that will be a more than spiffing Autumn's running.

You sound like you are having as much fum as I am Marple. Good luck in your 10K this weekend. Really go for it!!

SBF; I have faith in you! You will be there for Cardiff! Just keep thinking about that final lap around the Millenium stadium...it's a belting experience!! I did it in 4hrs. 46 mins. last year!!! Who cares if your not belting out the 20's? Just have a good day out mate in a really nice city.

Where is Cas? It really ain't the same without the great man.

Talking of great men, really good to hear from you again Umbongo. Best of British to you for Loch Ness. That sounds like a brilliant race.

Good running people
  • Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    There seem to be two camps at the moment - some are flying, and loving running, and others are struggling through injury and lack of motivation. How to get to the first group? I don't know, but it may just have started happening for me.

I was really struggling with the speed of the FIRST programme and took ages to shake off a cough. Eventually, as I was starting to feel that Mr O may not be quite so far ahead in the fast bits, he tore a calf muscle, and has been off games for 10 days. I went for two more runs, with some surprisingly (for me) quick times - we're talking around 8 mi/mi pace here - but now feel too guilty to go out! We haven't given up hope of New Forest, but still haven't done a 20, and I don't think we can safely build up again. Wonder if we are allowed to do the half?

Meanwhile, Abingdon's still on for me, with a target of 3:45, hoping for a GFA place in FLM 2008...! Anyone else prepared to confess a target time?
  • Options
    UmbongoUmbongo ✭✭✭
    RD - Thanks for the 'great man' reference (have you been drinking?)- good luck with the fundraising. I totally agree with what you say about London and that is partly why I am doing autumn marathon -hope that there will be less pressure and so more likely to post good time. Want to do London and just feel like I can go out and enjoy - no targets and no pressure - I usually perform best when I least expect it.

Joddly - sorry to hear about Mr O -don't feel guilty about going out. Sure Mr O would agree if you ask him. My time target is sub -4 at moment as I just want to bag that milestone - however, if I get this at Loch Ness then will certainly be trying hard at Abingdon for 3:45, which seems to be the next acknowledged milestone.

Cas is probably catching up with all the legal work he put off while posting on these forums. He will hopefully re-appear soon. Last I remember he got injured while on holiday.

Good running all.

Umb
  • Options
    its a long story guys.

It starts with a water slide and a meniscus injury and then moves into bbq season and seduction by carbs and beer... mmmm then into my month long holiday prior to the new baby.

Am back to running now about 35-45 per week and having a great time.

On hols in brighton at the mo so keeping a lookout for any of you local peeps.

Pleased to see some of the old sub4s still going and some new uns around.

Cardiff is out out out and got to lose that stone that is mostly made out of spare ribs and beefburgers and then grind up to above 20 milers.

Hope y'all doing well and if none of you are, as ever, as good looking as me it is nice, at least to see that some of you are runnin more.

Catch y'all later

x
  • Options
    Hi to all,
    good to hear from Cas again on the forum,

disater for me after the nice 4 miler (my last entry) tried a longer run on wed last and at 7.5 miles pain unbearable so i stopped and walked the 2 miles home, sports physio as not cured my problem, which i believe is a nerve thing shooting pains going all over, sometimes vanishing as quick as they appear,

off to see an osteopath this Thursday, but Nottingham half looks a no goer and GNR looks like a fading dream

will keep in touch and watch how you all get on

regards and good luck & good health

regards the Blouse
  • Options
    A chest infection has struck the Dap!!

That makes a grand total now of three weeks training lost for Cardiff.

Really don't know what to do. Pull out of full and do half instead?

Pull out of both?

Stop grumbling (give thanks that I can walk let alone be lucky enough to run) do it anyway and hope for a miracle?

Accept that for a third year running Iam going to post a really slow time at my 'home' marathon?

Blousey, you having no luck at all mate. Have you applied for London again?

CAS, welcome back mate. Are you still doing Cardiff? Impressed by your mileage totals. You must be in good nick.
  • Options
    Plenty of time to get over it and put it behind you, RD. I am a good 6-8 weeks behind the schedule, but I am planning to turn up and see what happens . . .
  • Options
    Hi RD,
    hope the chest sorts itself and soon,
    i have applied for London and will try and get ready and shave a second off this year's time !

visited an osteopath who had been recommended to me, he says i have a twisted/wrongly sited sacram causing the pain and said i could go for a steady trot, did 10k tonight very steadily 59.37 had fluctuations of pain now and again,

will keep up the osteopathy stuff, probably gently trot around Nottingham in a hope of being in better shape for GNR

take care all
    regards The Blouse
  • Options
    Good news Blousey! Keep at it mate.

SBF - good to hear from you again. This is my new plan. Finish my antibiotics tomorrow. Actually feeling a lot better. But, I am sure that is an extra inch around my waste I can see!

Going to try between 18-20 on Sunday. If that goes ok, could be game on again.

Glad your still doing it though, be great to finally meet you.
  • Options
    Hi Guys
    In light of the fact that I am nowhere near prepared to do Abbers, I have decided to go for the Amsterdam Half the weekend before.

This will follow on from the New Forest Half on Sept 17th and will hopefully be the start of some bright new regime to get me through to FLM training in Jan.

Planning a 10+ this afternoon after I have scrubbed the floors in the shop - oh heaven!

Good luck RD with your long run, hope you make it...

Good to hear from you Cas... your distances earn my respect!

Keep it going everyone...

dtf
  • Options
    sbf hard as nails as ever, good for you and running on a shorter training schedule

rd sorry to hear about chest injury grrr. RD just do what fels good and what you will enjoy and you could go for the full but then pull up at 1/2....

dtf good choice to go to amsters instead, am sure that the cafe sociatey is better there than in abingdon

i have 3 more days of eating and then serious dieting and fitness kick

yahooooooooo. off to grab a curry
  • Options
    Just under 11m in the end and finished by a friends beach hut who then supplied me with wine and sausages.

Stomach muscles are seriously sore today though, unknown over use of the core group I suppose.

Still sets me up nicely for my Half Marathon double header where I hope to dip inside 1hr50 (in my dreams!!)

Good weeks all...
  • Options
    Hi everyone! Just back from 2 weeks in France and have seriously over indulged in the wine, croissants, baguettes etc. Well it is France, and it would be rude not to, wouldn't it?

Haven't yet had chance to read back over all the posts I've missed but from this page alone, it looks as if a couple of you are struggling with illness or injuries. Hope everything fixes itself soon.

Have only done 2 runs while I was away, a 6 mile and 10 mile (very hilly) run. Dragged myself into the gym this morning and had a really good session. 1 mile warm up, 10 x 400m reps with 200m recoveries, then a mile cool down. I feel much better now. Have just been online and entered the Robin Hood 1/2 in September. Was originally thinking about doing the full marathon then realised it was only 3 weeks before GNR so decided to 'downgrade'.
  • Options
    Hello again,

just to let you know, as so many of you have been so supportive.

My dad is having surgery to try and remove his cancer as I write this. 12 hours of surgery lie ahead of him.

My prayers are with him. If anyone else could say a few words to the man upstairs for him I will forever be in your debt.

Thank you
  • Options
    Hope everything goes well for your dad. It sounds like a complicated procedure but they wouldn't do it if if wasn't worth it.

Now up to around 25km a week with a long run of just under 12km which should prepare me for my first 10 miler, either Wimbledon on the 1st October or Great South Run if I can get a place. Last year wimbledon was apparently not well organised, is anyone else planning to run this this year?

Just bought a pair of Adidas Supernova's which are helping sort a problem with my righ ankle which apparently pronates more than the left!!, Not as comfortable as my Reebok's but better when I run at speed as they support my foot better, anyone else experience this type of problem?

Alice Holt 10km trail race on the 10th September, don't expect to better 53:02 at Midhurst but will see what happens.