Options

How do I know if running is affecting my fertility?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Ooh just spotted that Roos has already recommended it. Well I second Roos then!
  • Options
    I also bought a book, from Amazon called 'Fertility & Conception - Everything you need to know to maximise your chances of becoming pregnant the natural way' by Dr. Karen Trewinnard. It covers topics from understanding your fertility, getting ready to conceive, food for fertility, if conception doesn't happen what next? I have found this very good. I'm sure my GP said to count the first day of your period as Day 1 and you will be at your most fertile days 11-14. Check for raised temperature and sticky white discharge at this time, the stickier the better!!!
    You all know your own body and if you are worried speak to your GP or practice nurse, that's what they are there for and what we pay out taxes for, so use them ladies.
    I personally think the 12 month rule depends on your age and general health etc. We also put too much pressure on ourselves after years of preventing pregnancy to automatically assume we should get pregnant straight away. Allow your body time to adjust to the decision physically and emotionally and let nature take care of itself.
  • Options
    One last thing before I sign off for tonight: don't forget that your man must be looking after his health and wellbeing too!!! No point in you ticking off all the boxes if he's down the pub every night and eating takeaways ;-)
    Jx
  • Options
    Good luck, relax, and enjoy the practice, especially around the "hot" time.

You don't get much chace to indulge in the practice once you have been successful, and I'm sure that you will be.

There's a lot that is not fully understood about the causes of stress, but the effects do seem to include apparent infertility.

Some colleagues of ours tried and tried and tried, then decided to go for IVF, having twins as a result. Within a couple of months of the birth she was pregnant again, but this time naturally. They hadn't thought that contraception was necessary given their earlier difficulties.

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Many thanks for all the helpful responses. BR, absolutely agree: the core of the problem is defining 'excessive' when it comes to exercise. You know that 80-90 miles a week is probably relatively moderate for you, but try telling that to your GP ...

And I completely empathise with the thought of having to cut back when you've worked so hard to get to the level you're now at.

Obviously if I become pregnant then I accept that I will likely need/want to cut back. My plan then is (if I am able) to run for fitness and enjoyment as opposed to 'training'. It will be strange, but I guess looking at the bigger picture, what's nine months out of a lifetime?

By the way, just for the record - I'm NOT stressed in any way about this. I was just mildly concerned that I'd have to cut back on the running in order to be able to conceive. Hipps, I hear what you're saying re. going to the GP, and what others have said about just going for a chat and to make them aware that we are 'trying'. I will probably go in the New Year but in the meantime I am ticking all the right boxes - I don't smoke (never have done), drink very little, eat healthily, exercise and take my folic acid. Mr. Minks ticks most of the right boxes - at the moment we're not going down the 'cutting out all alcohol' route so he does have the odd beer/glass of wine during the week as well as at the weekend, but he's no binge drinker. He should probably start doing some exercise (although he isn't remotely overweight) and he's started wearing boxer shorts instead of underpants.

My cycle is slightly irregular (and long) so although for the past couple of months we've tried to work around likely ovulation time, I think the 'once every 2-3 days' tactic might be a better option.

At the end of the day, 2/3 months is not long to have been trying and I'm certainly not going to get concerned just yet. I'll pop along and have a chat to my GP at some point but I know that they probably won't contemplate tests until we've been trying for a year. However, given that I'm 36 there may be some leverage on this.

Watch this space ...!
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    I should also add that neither of us feel that it would be the end of the world if we don't have a baby. We have a nice lifestyle and we're both very happy as we are. A baby would be fantastic, but we don't feel we have to have one to somehow 'complete' us. At present (and I know people's feelings change) we would not go down the IVF route if we are unable to conceive naturally.
  • Options
    This is my first day back on these forums after having a long break from running, due to beig pregnant. I decided to stop running as I wasn't enjoying it. It had taken quite a while to concieve so didn't want to risk miscarriage.

We were trying to concieve for 2 years, but I wasn't really mentally ready. In my mind I was happy doing what I wanted to and had doubts that I wanted to be a parent. Surprise surprise we didn't concieve. Then late last year I decided that I was really ready. I was prepared to put my career and running/tris on hold for a bit. I concieved that month. We did nothing different. Strangly we visted the docs and had the tests early that month too. As others have said they do the easy tests first, a blood test for you and a sperm sample for hubby.

I think you're doing the right thing, go to the docs and get the tests done only when you feel ready.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Demeter, thanks for your post and welcome back to the forums! A couple of things you say really resonate with me. I'm happy doing what I want to, I like my life the way it is and I guess if I'm really honest I fluctuate between feeling ready and wanting a baby, and being doubtful about becoming a parent and all that it entails.

I wonder sometimes if I'm really ready mentally, but unfortunately my biological clock isn't going to wait for my mind to catch up.

Interesting that from your experience, your mind almost acts like a contraceptive unless you really are ready and really want to become pregnant.

• Options
    I've just bought this book about pregnancy and exercise. It writes about lots of medical studies and basically says that exercise is fine. I've also read TCOYF by Toni Weschler. It is great. I didn't really know properly what was going on before reading it.

I think the only real way of telling if you are ovulating is by charting temperatures or peeing on a stick. Temp charting isn't that difficult but it did get me very stressed out. Also you have to sleep well for it to be accurate and as I don't there wasn't much point me carrying on.

The US runnersworld forums have a daily TTC thread. It's a bit quiet at the moment, but I got loads of really good information just reading it. Also it is nice to read about other people in similar situations.

Good luck!

(oops, sorry, didn't put about me. I'm on my first cycle after coming off the pill and trying seriously. Day 65, so who knows what is going on with my body!)
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Thanks Miss Piggy - I have seen that book online myself and have heard in recommended on a few other websites. Good for someone who likes 'the science bit' and also quite reassuring.

I'm not going to go down the road of charting temperature or peeing on a stick just yet - I think it just makes you feel stressed which is a big antidote to conception. As I said before, I'm not desperate to conceive - will be happy if it happens but not devastated if it doesn't. Will have a look at the US site though - thanks for the tip!

Good luck to you too - it can take a while for your cycle to sort itself out post-Pill so don't worry if it's a bit haywire for a while. I had one period (very light, hardly anything there) about 2 weeks after stopping the Pill then nothing for another 5 weeks, and now my cycle is anywhere between 33 and 40 days, so even if I did have sticks to pee on I wouldn't know when!!
  • Options
    Minks, I've just had a brief look on one of the threads, some good stuff on there. Only problem is, like Ivillage too, is that there's tons of abbreviations and I've only got the hang of ttc so far, must make a list for future reading!
  • Options
    this site has a really great dictionary - and lots of other fun stuff.

The US thread is in the womens forum and usually starts around 2-3pm our time.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Cinders, know what you mean about all the abbreviations! I gave up on the iVillage one recently because I didn't have a clue what they were all talking about! I think there was a list of what the abbreviations meant but I only discovered this afterwards and hadn't printed it off.
  • Options
    The dictionary MP (thanks MP) linked is very good, never realised there could be so many! At least it makes translation better now!
  • Options
    Lol...have found out so far its not a good idea to have LO with your BIL!!!! (that's sex with your brother in law).