Options

Pregnant runners' club

Comments

• Options
    We have all got runny noses - rather boring. Paracetamol really isn't much help!

Just taken the kids to Wisley Gardens which they love - hoping I don't have to do much else today!

Congrats Lisa G!
  • Options

Hello ladies, wow, been reading briefly over the thread and am impressed!

Just wanted to ask advice as Im rather worried about the fact that I ran a half marathon before knowing I was pregnant eek.  I had done all the training etc and have been running for years.  It was my first half marathon as I usually do 10ks.  I would have been about 3-4 weeks pregnant (period wasnt due when I was running it so I wasnt "late").

My hubbie is worried and googling is not a good idea!  However, seeing all you ladies running and still running whilst pregnant I hope all will be ok.  I shall speak to my Dr when I am able to make my booking in apt.

• Options

Congratulations MrsB and to Emma and Lisa!

I'm sure it was absolutely fine to run a half marathon when pregnant. I ran 18 miles and 20 miles before I found out that I was pregnant. My GP wasn't at all concerned but advised me to stop marathon training and stick to shorter distances, which I have been doing and thankfully still finding running enjoyable. 

Good luck! 

• Options
    Congrats Mrs B - I'm sure it will be fine. Hopefully your doctor isn't one of the old fashioned ones!! I'm sure lots of people on this thread have unwittingly raced long distances whilst unaware they had a passenger!
  • Options
    Hi Ladies, I've not been in here for ages (like about 2 years) so it's funny to see some of the same ladies in here. Kinsey - that must be number 3 for you?? you were in here during both of my other pregnancies! And Carovet, congratulations again.

Congratulations to all of those newly pregnant and to those further along, what an exciting ride it will be.

I'm 38 weeks with my 3rd little girl, haven't been in here as I haven't run at all this pregnancy but I'm on go slow now for the last couple of weeks so not really wanting to move off the sofa and browsing the internet a bit more.

With my first my GP said no aerial skiing, no parasailing and no marathon running, other than that just keep on going as long as my body would let me. I ran/plodded up until about 16 weeks when it stopped being fun, with my second I ran a half marathon at 12 weeks (very slowly) which I really enjoyed but dropped all running after that, this time I was on for a half mara pb about 6 weeks before I fell pregnant but was ill and didn't run image and by the time the next one came around I was pregnant and didn't want to run as I was hoping for a pb... I'm Sooooooo looking forward to getting back to it in about 6 weeks time image Will be aiming for a slow half in October and working towards my first sub 2 hour half probably early next year.

We're in Australia, have been her 6 years now but we'll be moving back to the UK early 2013 for Beth (almost 4) to start school so I'll be getting back into the RW boards to get my running season planned for next year.

Good luck everyone
    xxx
    Esther
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Hi RHG. I remember you from my last time in here. Ailish will be 4 in July so I would have been pregnant with her when you were pregnant with Beth. We now have another girl, Arwen, who is 14 weeks. Nice to "see" you again.

Not getting online much these past few weeks. Early signs of good sleeping went by the wayside after 3 colds in 5 weeks kindly supplied by big sister bringing them home from nursery. A couple of nights of 6 hours straight have reverted to 3 hourly feeds in the night as it's difficult to feed with a blocked nose!

Just off to read back and see who had what from a few weeks ago.
  • Options

Congrats MrsB,

I raced a half marathon when I was 6/7 weeks image I did 1.38.00, of which a long way off my PB at end of last November, however it didn't seem so bad once I realised I was 6/7 weeks pregnant! I felt fine after too and  have been keeping my running going strong too, so you should have no worries image  Counting back to when I must have concieved, my mileage had actually increased to 25+ miles a week on top of all my other exercise sessions. My GP thinks that I have had, and continue to have no pregnancy signs/symptoms because of all the exercise, so keep it going. I have just cut back on miles and slowed my pace a little, but not too drastically at the mo. Will monitor and adapt as neccessary as time progresses. Hope this helps to put your and your hubbies mind at rest.  

Good luck to you and everyone x

• Options
    Hi Nessie, congratulations on your second little one, I bet big sister is loving it image.
  • Options
    Hi RHGDU! So does that mean you've somehow fitted in a whole extra baby in the same time I've had 2??.......thats even nuttier than Kinsey image. Congrats.

So why the return to the uk? Was it always going to be only a temporary thing before the kids started school? Where n the uk will you move back to?

Nessie don't say that about sleep? We tend to get a 6 - 7 hr stretch first thing, ie 7 pm till 1 or 2 am, but then he can seem to manage a second and only goes 3 hrs or so till 4 am, and then 7, but I realise that's good compared to some so mustn't complain, just wish I could get back to sleep more quickly at 2 am!
  • Options

Wow thanks ladies for reassurance.  I feel much happier now to hear your stories.  As for sub 2 hours wowee!!

So am now about 5 weeks.  If I feel ok I might go out sunday for a run.  

Do you just see how you feel - ie walk if necessary and stop if you have to?

As for sleeping babies, dont let me tell you about my son and the age he was when he slept through the night...!!!! 

• Options
    Hi RHG - congrats! Yes, I'm on no 3 too, Martha is just 4, Aidan was 2 in Oct and no 3 is due in June - 14 weeks to go (yawn!)

Mrs B - I went for it a bit in the first few weeks of pregnancy this time as I took the view that I might as well get some good runs in while I could. If you feel funny then just stop and walk, my morning sickness was from about week 8 to week 14 so that put a damper on it.

Nessie - hope everyone is better soon, I'm on antibiotics at the moment as I have a sinus infection that has been going on since the start of February. First pregnancy I have been poorly like this.
  • Options
    First day of maternity leave today, and thought it would be nice to go for a swim in the day time as the pool would be nice and quiet.  How wrong could I be!  Busier than the evening sessions, still, nice to feel weightless!
  • Options

Well, apart from being able to gain and share lots of really good pregnant running advice, tips and hints, this forum has certainly made me worry a little less about trying to improve all the late nights and lack of sleep I regularly get due to my shift work and regular bouts of insomnia, as it would appear it not going to last very long once my bubby is here! image

Nice to see we're all in, or will be in the same boat  - 'the running on lack of sleep club'

Great to be able to share and hear similar stories for advice  - and sympathy image

Hope you get better soon Nessie, and hope you enjoy the first few weeks of your maternity leave RK with some quiter daytime swimming.

• Options
    Thank you for the snowboarding/skiing reassurance everyone! I don't know why but every doctor/midwife I come into contact with seems to give me really old fashioned advice. At my checking in appt the midwives said no running, no cycling, no skiing- 'it's a no to any contacts sport' was the phrase. Contact with what???? I decided not to pursue, just to nod! And this is at one of the leading maternity units in the UK!

Chispa- I am off to Les Arcs in the french alps, I go to the same place every year so am familiar with the routes etc But might stay off the border cross and the snow park this time! Great to hear such positive experiences of being in the mountains preggers, I'll be about 13 weeks when I'm there, can't wait!

Carovet- did you really eat the cheese? I LOVE cheese and am veggie so it's usually my daily diet in France! I wasn't sure how clearly marked it would be as to whether the cheese is pasteurised or not....Was hoping that after 12 weeks those things don't matter so much but I haven't googled yet. Will definitely be sipping the odd glass of wine though!

Has anyone found they get stitch more now? I used to be able to run it off quite easily, just change my breathing and relax, but today I had to keep stopping, not sure if its just coz I am tired...

Saw the baby yesterday for the first time and it was waving and bouncing up off its bottom! So cute! I took it as encouragement to be active!!

Congrats everyone on new babies and new pregnancies, and thanks again for the advice! Ddx
  • Options

I'm glad you raised the question about stitch DottieD - yes I too have found I get a stitch more in  exactly the same place most times I run. Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

I don't do winter sports, but remember my GP telling me she went cross-country skiing at 32 weeks image

Pleased to hear the baby looking just as active as you DottieDimage

I'm going to be 13 weeks on Sunday (first pregnancy) and still haven't had a booking in appt etc witha midwife and will not be having my scan until 10th April!! Really cross as saw my doctor over 5 weeks ago now. I have met my midwife briefly for about 10 minutes so she could do the scan form in an attempt to get it done before I go on hols this weekend, but no such luck image She cancelled my booking appt this morning at last minute as realised she'd doubled booked and has never contacted me since to re-arrnge etc. I'm sure all is well, just annoying. I'm therefore going walking/running in Wales for a week with no info, notes or contact details for anyone should I have any queries or concerns. She didn't even ask weather or not I was going abroad or anything. Doesn't even know I'm a complete exercise freak. Have to keep chasing her up - this difficult as she never seems to answer or get back to messages. Has anyone else had such experiences with their midwife or antenatal care?

I just keep going on as normal, like you guys until image

• Options
    Emma how many wks will you be at your '12' weeks scan then? The reason I ask is that it's at that scan that they do the nuchal scan (not all NHS areas do it so I guess it depends if yours does) And it's only really useful as a screening test ifmit's done between 11-14 weeks. Later than this the results are much less accurate. It's the screening test for downs syndrome that is done in conjunction with a blood test to give you a probability as to whether or not your baby will have downs syndrome, and is a really detailed scan that takes quite a long time to do. For my first baby my NHS didn't do it, so we had it dne privately, for the latest one they did do it. If it's something you want doing, and your scan is going to be after 14 wks I would call the hospital and absolutely insist they scan you sooner, or get it done privately.

Dottie, I ate everything by the end! Even sushi.......amd this time round I didn't avoid a single thing, apart from greatly reducing alcohol, and limiting caffeine as well.

Eric is nearly 5'wks and is a lovely baby. Am enjoying it much more this time round, but annoyingly my back and pelvis are absolutely screwed, and it's getting worse. I was just going to wait till my 6 wk check, but think I will go sinner to my GP as I am fed up with being crippled.
  • Options

Hello ladies !

A lot of new faces here - or should I say new names - LOL !
    Last day at work tomorrow, finally image Got so much to wrap-up though, and been doing 12/14hours days, never mind almost over.

38 weeks, back aching so bad. I have done one acupunture session last week, it did nothing at all. I'm having another one tomorrow, if still nothing, no twinges and still having back-aches, I'm not doing any more and just going to be enjoying the time off and wait for baby quietly.

My first one did come at 38 weeks, we never know. But no signs so far.

Hoping my next post will be about baby, got the feeling she is taking her time though image

Hope everyone is going well.

Rina x

• Options
    Good luck Rina, I wondered how you were doing!

Emma - I had to chase everyone one with my first pregnancy as the doctor forgot to tell anyone so I didn't get sent any appointments - think I chased it earlyish though so I still had my scans etc on time.

I avoided some of the foods first time around but second and third time I have been much less worried about cheese and slightly rare steak and things. I don't eat offal anyway although I do occasionally fancy pate but havn't bothered.

Dottie - no cycling either? Weird - I think they worry you might have an accident but it all depends where and what kind of cycling you are thinking of. Take it easy with the skiing if you are in any doubt I suppose.

Caro - think the first few weeks after Aidan were pretty bad for me which was why I saw an osteo - hope you get something sorted soon - its very frustrating. I also got referred for hosp physio at my 6 week appointment although I'm not sure it made a massive difference in my case - time and everything going back to 'normal' seemed to be my thing. I ended up using our rowing machine for exercise as that was one thing that didn't seem to make things worse.
  • Options

Thanks for all your comments ladies and reassurances. Glad I'm not the only one who had to do some chasing! I actually had a call from a senior midwife today apologising for delay in getting me in the system and my appointemns/scan sorted. She has managed to get my scan brought forward a week as soon as I'm back off my hols image I will be just over 14 weeks, but she reassured me that this will still be ok (just) for the nuchal/downs test and bloods etc. I guess my midwife will then do my actual booking appt that week at some point too. At least I have something to look forward on my return from my hols - actually getting to see my bubby for the first time image

Also glad to see from all your posts that not sticking religiously to the whole 'dos' and 'don'ts' with reagrds to diet  during pregnancy not always a bad thing either. 

Caro - I sympathise as my pregnancy so far has some what aggrevated and made my sciatica a lot worse in terms of pain and discomfort, however not to the point that I've had to stop running, so hope it stays that way as starting to show signs of improving over last few days (thank you catch stretch. supermans and wheat het bag image ). I hope your back starts to get soon too and that baby arrived by time I'm back from hols next week.

Apart from doing tthe sport relief  6 mile on sunday, I will be taking a rest from running for the next week, although replacing with lots of walking image

Hope all you ladies have a good week and that the good running weather continues for you all.

Take care and happy running

• Options
    Emma - not sure why but I ended up seeing my mw this time after I had already had my scan - think they are quite busy around here! Glad they have booked you in!
  • Options
    Hey Emma, that must be frustrating! Glad you have it sorted. I was too early for the nuchal fold test, that's why we are going back tomorrow. It will be such a treat for when you come back from your hols!

Kinsey, I ride my bike around London so it's true it's not the nicest/safest environment! Gave up for a week but found rush hour on the tube much more hazardous!

I took the plunge and ate brie at the weekend, not sure if I will be so brave with the french mountain cheese though. Really looking forward to the mountains now after your reassurance so thank you. I have hired skis as well as taking my snowboard so will gauge what the conditions are best for, I'm looking forward to not forcing myself to 'make the most of' every day on the slopes and exploit my brilliant excuse for just quality over quantity time on the slopes!

I find the stitch worst with normal runs, I think it is because I find it harder to relax my tummy these days, I don't know why...

My other new symptom is itchy skin- unbearable! Anyone else? Especially my tummy, back and boobs. I guess it is coz of the skin stretching although only my boobs have grown so far. If anyone has any magic cream recommendations that would be great!

Enjoy the sunshine ladies! What a lovely time of year to be waiting for your baby to come along, Rina! Good luck!
  • Options

First day off work !! Feels very strange, I am still peeking at what the team is doing over emails - lol ! But don't think I'll be doing this over the next few days. Also only taking two and a half months off to go back early June so not really going to be working any extra at all !!

Getting to full 38 weeks now, my first one was born at just the 38th week. this one is later by a week on Wednesday already and I must say I'm getting enough now. I will try and pass the time, going to the salon, getting a manicure, will go out to movies with hubby tomorrow, there's nothing interesting on though - lol.

Dottie D, I agree, what a lovely weather image My mum has come from abroad and she is staying 6 months (I'm back at work in June so need the extra help, plus have to travel to the California, Paris and Germany when I'm back wiith the VP so can't do it all myself image).

So when is this baby coming !! I have started the raspberry leaf tea, bouncing on my birthing ball, going for walks and eating spicy food but no signs of baby coming at all - no pains, no nothing image

Never mind I hope this will not take that long image

Take care ladies,

Rina xx

• Options
    Rina - hope the baby comes soon. I'm not looking forward to the waiting game at the end!
  • Options

Hi Kinsey,
    39 weeks tomorrow, still no baby - my first one was already one week old now and I feel like this one will have to be induced somehow I just "know" it - absolutely no signs of her arriving, no pains, no change in the course of the pregnancy apart from getting a bigger and bigger bump that looks so disproportionate now. I have taken quizz online that determines if labour is approaching (slight loss of weight, mild diahrrohea, nesting etc...) apart from being off on maternity since yesterday and therefore cleaning because I have the time now and I just felt the bathroom needed a good clean since 2 weeks ago I am not feeling like "nesting" and not showing any other symtomns at all image

Never mind, I am still going to enjoy the lovely weather and try to ignore the back pains and the extra huge bump !

When is your baby due ?

Rina xx

• Options
    Not until June 20th - 12 weeks to go..... bump looking rather large already, dread to think what it will be like at full term!
  • Options
    Rina take it from me, the old wives tales do not work at all!! And even if you do have signs, it doesn't guarantee things will happen. I had dodgy guts for at least two weeks, many, many contractions, walked miles etc, and still had my waters broken at 42 weeks. So you may just find you have no signs and then wham, you go into labour. Good luck when the time comes image
  • Options

I can see why people resort to the Old Wives tales - I'm a day overdue now, and not enjoying the waiting / uncertainty.  Don't really want to plan too much as it could be any day.  Still, at least the sun is shining - very pleasant for sitting around outside and going for walks.

Hope those of you who are early on are still managing to enjoy some running in this sunshine!

With regard to problems seeing midwives early on, I seemed to be 'late' for everything to begin with (late booking appt, first and second scan etc).  Partly due to our own denial, and partly due to some details going awry, which delayed things.  I've had a couple of issues though in the last few weeks and the midwifes/consultants etc have been great - really can't fault the nhs in terms of the care, support and options that I've been given.

• Options
    Hey all, just to say I have just returned from a BRILLIANT week in the Alps! I didn't feel pregnant much at all, a little breathless now and again, and got hubby to carry skis everywhere which was lovely! I skied and boarded black runs safely and just avoided the snow park and places where crazy people hang out! And enjoyed cheese and wine/beer in glorious moderation. I am loving the second trimester! Can't wait to run again after a week at altitude.

Rina and RK, hope your babies come soon! Happy Easter everyone, hope you are enjoying nice breaks too! x
  • Options

Glad to hear you had a good holiday DottieD.  Pregnancy is much nicer when the sickness stops and before the bump gets too big. 

We now have a baby in our house!  Alice Jasmine was born last Saturday - just 2 days late in the end, which was a relief.  She was breech, and we'd agreed with the consultant that provided labour started within a week of her due date, we'd aim for a normal delivery, but if it got too late then I'd have a c-section (they won't induce breech babies, and don't like them to get too big).  Anyway, she came out under her own steam and she's lovely.  Lack of sleep is now majorly kicking in but we're surviving!

• Options
    Well done RK! I'm very impressed with the breech delivery, good going! How did you manage to convince them to let you deliver naturally?

Dottie glad you had a nice time, I am a teensy weeny bit jealous I have to say.