Options

Micksta Coaching

Comments

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Micksta,

Things seem to be going very well at the moment.  So far I've done 3 runs where I've just ran at the speed I felt comfy with.  The first 1 mile run was at 11.18 min miles the other 2 runs have both been 2 miles the first was at 11.52 min miles which was a bit of a struggle towards the end and today's was at 11.18 min miles and again I stuggled a bit at the end but nowhere near as much as the previous run. 

As this is faster than what my easy run pace is meant to be I think I'll try and slow down a bit for the next one. I've also gone back to running with music which certainly seems to be helping.  (Sometimes music works for me other times it doesn't so I'm not set in my ways with that one)

• Options

HY4:

That sounds like good progress. Will do you no harm either to have a slightly easy next run just to keep things controlled and not risking pushing yourself too much to soon.

Ive never used music myself, but I know and see lots of runners that do, so if it works then why not image

• Options

Hi Micksta,

Thanks for your replies and sorry for the slow responses on my part! The long run / mid week mileage you're suggesting sounds similar so that's encouraging. I may just try and gradually increase my overall mileage a bit next time to the suggested 50-55mpw range.

Will get down H&B and get myself some multi-vitamins and some Magnesium, my diet isn't bad but I'm not a big fruit fan so that probably doesn't help!

So that's one 250mg tablet split in half, one half for the morning, one for the evening?

Cheers,

Stu.

p.s. Had my 1st dabble at Fell racing last night... great fun! image

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Micksta,

Today's has been a bit of a turning point because with the last couple of runs I've been left feeling a bit conjested.  However today was the first attempt at 3 miles.  (Last time I did 3 miles was my 5k race last September.)  When I got to the end my breathing was still fairly okay and I thought that I could have ran quicker.  The next 6 runs are going to be the same length then I'm planning to introduce 30 secs quicker with 1 min 30 recoveries and do 3 of those in the middle of the run, during one of the runs.  After 2 weeks of that I'm planning on increasing the distance of the long run to 4 miles.  This should take me up to about a month before my 5k and also just before the next hospital appointment.

If I get the all clear from the hospital do you think it would be too soon to join the track side of a running club then or would it be better to wait until I'd done more speedwork myself? 

• Options
    STUART H:

The 50-55mpw will be a great help.
    Yes its the 250mg magnesium tablet, half in the morning, then the other half either early afternoon or evening, whichever works out easier for you.

HY4

I reckon it probably best you do a few speed sessions on your own first, just to get back into the swing of things, then go down the track after that, you tend to get dragged around at a higher than usual training pace, so it will be much better to have had a little speed work in the legs beforehand.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Micksta,

I had the feeling that you would say that.  How much speedwork do you think I would need to do (bearing in mind what my preferred sessions tend to be) because with the 2 initial sessions I have planned I don't feel as though they are speed sessions so may perhaps take them out of a normal run and do thems as an extra run on each week so I feel as though I get more benefit out of them?

• Options
    Hi Micksta

Just want to say what a great service you're providing to beginners like myself. Have picked up great training tips from this thread but I have a couple of questions of my own if you don't mind.

I've been running now for around 8 months, currently up to 25-28 miles/week. My pb for 1/2 marathon is 1:42 and my main focus is training for my first marathon in Berlin at the end of September. I may be being a bit ambicious (based on my 1/2 pb) but my absolute dream would be to finish sub 3:30. I'm prepared to train hard for the next 3 months so I would like to ask what you would advise? My current training schedule is as follows:

Mon swim
    Tue 4m (easy)
    Wed 7m (easy)
    Thur 4m (tempo)
    Fri swim
    Say rest
    Sun Long run (currently up to 16m)

Is there anything obvious I should change on my schedule? Also would increasing my milage make a big difference as I'm thinking of swaping the Thursday run for a Friday 10 mile easy run.

Just a side question also, recently since increasing my long runs I've notices a pain on the outside of my right knee which feels very similar to ITB I had when I first started running. I only get this after around 9 miles and after a few days the pain is gone. Do you think it's anything I should worry about?

Thanks in advance!

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Micksta,

I've done my first evening run tonight straight after work.  I know I've not picked the best day and I did struggle a bit in the last 1/4 mile.  That said the pace was 8 seconds per mile quicker than Sunday's run.  I've got Thursday off to make up for working this coming Saturday so I should be able to get out in the morning. 

• Options

HY4:

Yes it was rather hot yesterday, I did 7-miles myself and found it really tough going. Good run though, be intresting to see how your Thursday run goes!

TAZ88

Thanks Taz nice to know im helping people out  a little image

Yeah 3:30 will be a very tough time to achieve from your training so far, I would guess your looking at around 3:40 pace realistcially. But its a nice target to train towards and would not harm if you could find a reasonbly quick Half marathon to run before Berlin and attempt to run at 3:30 pace, you would need to run for a half marathon around 1:35mins to be near the correct zone.

Extra mileage would help, though im not going to suggest piling it on at this stage, a: because your new to running and b: the problem you mentioned with the right knee.

Have a look at this `slightly revised schedule` to be done upto 12-weeks before your marathon, this would be your key training phrase.

Mon swim
    Tue 5m (easy)
    Wed 5m (Tempo or long road rep efforts with short recoveries)
    Thur 75% length of your current long run. medium length run ie: 10miles if your current long run is 15miles.... run this easy.
    Fri swim
    Say rest
    Sun Long run (building upto 20m) last 20miler 3-weeks before marathon.

If your not racing and training straight through then make at least one week per month a cutback week, where you run 50-75% your normal training mileage.

re: the right knee, sounds like it could be worth investigating a little, im no expert on sports injuries, but reckon you could look at seeing if your shoes are either getting worn out or you need a different type of shoe for longer runs, try going to a sports shop such as sweatshop, they are great and have treadmills so they can advice on correct footwear. You could also look into doing some strength work targeting the ITB area, just to strengthern things up. 

• Options

Hi Micksta

Many thanks for your reply and the revised schedule.  Yes I've been told my times are realistically indicating more of a 3:45 than a 3:30 for the marathon but nevertheless I will give it a good crack!  I'd like to ask a question about long runs if you don't mind.  I've read that it is beneficial to get use to running when low on glycogen so your body gets use to utilising fat as an energy source as this is what is likely to happen during a marathon.  Does this mean one should not take in fuel say on the last hour of a run?  Does this not however have a negative affect on recovery ie one would recover slower if not properly fuelled during a run?  I'm a little confused…

Thank you in advance!

• Options
    TAZ88
    Yes its good training to run without re-fuelling on some of your sessions to get the body used to fat burning, but its not something I tend to do all the time.

I usually take lucozade with me on my longer sunday runs, to get used to drinking carbohydrate based drinks whilst running at a high pace.

You could always use your mid-week medium run as a low fuel run, then use the lucozade on your longer run at the weekend.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Micksta,

Today's run was better than Tuesday's, although I did struggle at round about the same point as before.  The pace was 22 secs quicker per mile than Tuesday's run so I suppose it's no wonder I struggled a bit at the end.  I think I'll be ditching the music for the next run to see if that will slow me down a bit. 

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Micksta,

I had a cba day on Sunday so didn't get out, however with today's run with music my pace was 10:58 min miles.  The last 500m was hard, however I feel really pleased with what I've achieved.  

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

I've spent a wee while thinking about why I'm getting quicker without trying and come up with the following:-

1 When I'm running with music 1/2 way round there are a couple of quicker tracks which tend to set the pace for the rest of the run

2 Near the end of the run there is a longish downhill section.  I don't let my legs run away with me, however I do run a bit quicker.  I do try and slow down after the hill.

3 On the final part I subconsciously run a bit quicker.

Do you think this would make sense? 

• Options

HY4:

Ive certainly heard a lot of things about how the `right kind of music` can actually motivate a runner or even sportsperson to perform better, so if you have a powerfull track then a feel good factor would make you run quicker.

Though the probable reason and its the simplist reason as to why your running quicker. plain and simply your just naturally getting fitter at this point of time, the training seems to be coming together well and your getting stronger after the virus so the speeding up is natural progression!

The gradual introduction of some speedwork should increase the process even more, all things being good and no other injuries or setbacks occuring. image

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Micksta,

Thanks.

I think what I'll end up doing initially is doing intervals when the 2nd of those 2 songs are on.  I still do suffer from chest pains from time to time and get a bit congested however it's much better especially when I run faster. 

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Micksta,

My first interval session this year has gone really well.  I felt as though I could run at the interval pace for much longer than 30 secs and the 1 min 30 recoveries were just right.   At least I didn't speed up like I've done previously in the last 1/2 mile.  The pace for today's 3 miles was 11:02 min miles. 

I've got another 2 weeks of doing this interval session.  Providing those 2 go as well as today's what would you suggest for the next interval sessions up to my 5k in early September? 

• Options

HY4:

Sounds promising, good to read things are going well.

I would keep to doing shorter interval work for the time being, using your longer runs for endurance.

sessions such as 6 - 10x2mins with 90sec recoveries. maybe try a session where your doing 5x3mins with 2min recoveries. Also try 10x1min fast with 1min jog recoveries.  The shorter recoveries will help the body adapt better to lactic, meaning your be able to better maintain a higher speed in the race.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Micksta,

Thanks.  Last year I didn't need too much advice it was mainly re-assurance, however this year I've not got a clue because I'm having to training differently to previous years.  I'll keep you posted with how things are going. 

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Hi Micksta,

I've just done my third interval session and I appear to be getting slower?!  For the other runs I appear to be speeding up.  This is something I don't understand because previously I've always gone a bit quicker during an interval run than my other weekday run.  Why do you think this is? 

• Options

HY4:

Hmmm, are you running and using a HR moniter to help judge speed? reason I say this, being conditions over the last few days have been alot warmer and more humid, this means that your HR will be higher at a given speed than normal, and the effort to run at speed is greater.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Micksta,

No I'm not.  What you say does make sense, however in previous years' humid weather has usually brought out a quicker time with the same amount of effort.  I guess it may be this virus still affecting me slightly.  May look at a Garmin with a HR monitor when I go shopping for it.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

I've had my follow up appointment today and have been discharged and been told to make sure I keep running because it's helping my lungs.  He also said that my lungs were either 90 or 99% efficient! I don't know how good this is for a runner however the breathing test results this time were better than last time.

I'm planning on giving it another couple of weeks with the interval sessions then will try a running club. 

• Options

HY4:

Sounds like your lungs are pretty much back to normal by the sounds of things. sensible plan with the intervals and then trying a club, just gives you a few more weeks of speedwork before joining a club.

I recieved your email with the training plan, quiet  busy today, but will look at it either this evening or tommorow and let you know what I think.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Micksta,

Okay.  Thanks I've had a few second thoughts about joining a running club just yet, however the email goes into more detail. 

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Micksta,

Quick update from me.  I decided to do last week's long run on Saturday because I'm working this Saturday and wanted to do that run during the week.  Anyway the run last Saturday was a bit of a non-starter!  Everything from my knees down ached and I only did 1.2 miles instead of a planned 4.3 miles.  The run for Tuesday was 5 miles and this was very easy and the pace was 11:28.  My easy runs are meant to be 11:38-12:08. So a run like that was a great surprise, it looks like running at whatever speed I want is helping me.

Tonight's run was another surprise and tough at the same time.  It was 2 min quick 1.5 min recovery x 4 in the middle of a 2.53 mile run.  I've finally dipped under 10 min miles.  Looking back at last year's training the only 2 times I did that before my 5k was for a 1.2 mile run and a 1k time trial.  So everything is beginning to look really promising.

I'm almost tempted to ask what time do you think I should be aiming for with the 5k?

• Options

HY4:

What time did you achieve last year for a 5k, I had a quick scan back but could not find the post?

That would give me a better esitmate of how well you could go now image

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Micksta,

Last year it was 29:56. 

• Options

Reckon you could reasonably expect to have a crack at 29:00-29:30.

Not wanting to set targets to high at this stage, but your endurance is better this year so you should be able to maintain the higher pace for longer.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Micksta,

Do you really think so?  This morning's run was a bit hard I did 7 reps of my intervals during a 3.15 mile run with 10:24 min miles, although I'm suffering from a cold at the moment.  I know my endurance is better but I really feel as though I've not put in the speedwork.  I know given the past 3-4 months I've done reasonably well considering.