Options

Friday session

2»

Comments

• Options
    nope. we have vegemite too, although it tastes a bit different to the stuff we get here. the NZ marmite is not a strong and yucky as the UK variety! But you still have to spread it thin on buttered toast...
  • Options
    Wildwill, no I can't chew on an oxo, unless it's a veggie one!

Although I have to say, I hate twigglets (thinking of Mr Bean making them out of twigs and marmite!)
  • Options
    GodzillaGodzilla ✭✭✭
    I agree with Will - Marmite is gods way of making good looking people taste bad.

Today was my third rest day in a row - hmmm and to think I was keen on doing twice daily sessions at the beginning of the week - my knee tends to disagree with all my good ideas.
  • Options
    OK - it's 1610 - time to go home now.
    Seems that MartinH's suggested session triumphs by a narrow margin over all the others.
    Most importantly(!), it more or less coincides with my own view - that I probably need one or two speed (as opposed to speed endurance) sessions right now....
    I envisage a few legs of downwind running on Hoylake prom this evening....
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Ironman

Thanks for the good luck message.

Pool swim, otherwise no chance of me doing it. I'm not a great swimmer and very nervous of being out of my depth (near drowning incident many years ago) so the thought of an open water swim just makes my blood run cold. And I only do a couple a year, so I'm too mean to buy a wetsuit!
  • Options
    what - 6m threshold run
    why - Getting used to running at that pace again....
    last rest - Wed
    last hard - yesterday (12m)

Otherwise no aches and pains... long run coming up on Sunday - Manchester Marathon coming around very quick now...
  • Options
    What: Undecided - might go out with the dog and do a bit of run/walk (can't decide).

Why: Stressful day

Last Rest: Thursday
    Last Hard day: Monday

Marj -- Bless your heart!! Thanks you :o)

V-rap -- Have a nice holiday. Haven't been to Harlech in years but they have a gorgeous seafood restaurant near the Castle there. Expensive but well worth the price :o)
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip, Cath. Unfortunately, my two older kids think seafood begins and ends with tinned tuna, and the babies won't go one step further than fish fingers. Funny how other people seem to be able to persuade their children to eat mussels and lobster and squid.

Blessings for Wednesday.
  • Options
    Well, by the end, I felt pleased, though my calves felt well beaten up. The wind on the promenade (not too strong) was perfect for a "downwind speed session" - something I haven't done in ages. Maybe I need something like this once every 2-3 weeks.

Made it up as I went along, but as the accent was on speed, used generous jog/brisk walk recoveries back upwind each time:

1) 800m in 2:45 HR->157
    3:12 walk/jog recovery
    2) 400m in 1:17 HR: 115->159
    5:12 walk/jog recovery
    3) 800m in 2:41 HR: 117->163
    3:09 walk/jog recovery
    4) 400m in 1:15 HR: 120->166
    5:21 walk/jog recovery
    5) 800m in 2:39 HR: 130->164 (peak 166)
    5:52 walk/jog recovery
    6) 1 mile in 5:33 (1/2 mile split: 2:44) HR: 136->172

then warmed down by walking, then jogging 2 miles with elder son who was testing out his new inhaler to see if it could help him cope with his exercise-induced asthma (it did - 2nd mile in 8:57, gradually accelerating - hooray!).

An enjoyable session (especially in hindsight!) in pleasantly warm evening sunshine. Particularly noticeable was the way the times got better - improved muscular co-ordination outweighing slow onset of fatigue? Even the last (mile) run bears this out - legs were totally knackered, but still kept turning over at the same speed as if they were on autopilot.