Options

Midsummer Munro Half-Marathon

Who hoo! Entry accepted, will be there again. I'm off to start praying for rain

Comments

• Options
    I seem to have signed up for this again too, and I'll be praying for rain too! Hoping to take at least 10 minutes off my time from last year. Might include running up and down hundreds of steps in my training this time!
  • Options
    you'd have to be absolutely nuts to sign up for this.

I may well be there
  • Options
    Did the Knacker Cracker at New Year, so it only makes sense to do this one aswell (not sure sense is the right word here!!).
    At least i know the pain i'll be letting myself in for this time.

Hosie, nuts is putting it very mildly.
  • Options
    Aw, come on guy's. You know it makes sense really! Its the highlight of my year!

Did mention to Dr Rob he might not want to put too many 'surprises' in this year.. Still haven't forgiven him for last years!

he he he
  • Options
    Surprises?? I'll be surprised if i can stand at the end of it!!

As Dr Rob said "twice the distance of KC, four times the pain".
    Where's the sense in that?? Still, there'd be no point doing it if it was easy... never been one to avoid a challenge. I'll be signing up soon.
  • Options
    Looking at this one, I must be mad but might as well give it a whirl!
  • Options
    Tis not easy but at least the thought of the race beckoning scares you into some hills training.

On a plus point, nothing in a race scares me now. If you can deal with the Midsummer Munro you can pretty much deal with anything!

Come on Too Much Water - fun, friendly and scenic what more do you want?
  • Options
    Did the KC as well & signed up for this the day after. I will be doing some serious steps training too., I know its gonna hurt but why not!
  • Options
    This race looks nuts!

Does anyone know if there are any places left?
  • Options
    It is nuts! But it's also one of the best races you'll ever do. There are places left - if you go to www.trionium.com and follow the links you can see the runners list. Sorry, I haven't a clue how to do links.
  • Options
    I've entered, still can't make up my mind whether to be excited by the challenge or to kick myself for being stupid enough to think I can do it!!!
  • Options
    ..er. I have just entered and then read the comments above. Perhaps I should have read the comments first! Is it really that difficult?

PM
  • Options
    PM, it's all relative of course but I can't imagine anyone finding this one easy. 3000ft up and 3000ft down over 13 miles is tough, no matter how fit you are! Particularly when there are steps involved, hundreds of them. expect to be at least 40% slower than your half time on the road.
    But it's great fun and very rewarding to finish - you'll love it!
  • Options
    I get the crazy, crazy feeling that I'm just going to have to do this! I'm doing the FLM so at least I'll be used to my legs hurting.

I've done the 3 Forts 1/2 in Sussex and they call that "the tough one"! I love running beuatiful trails - nothing like it- and this one's not so far from me.

On a quite serious note is it advisable to do something as tough as this 8 weeks after a marathon (considering two of those weeks will be pretty much total rest?

Obviously we can throw times out the window so not worried about that.

GK
  • Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    Hi Gingerkid

You'll have no probs with recovery from the marathon in time to run this. I did both last year, no worries. And the trails are some of the best I've ran on :-)

PM - the first time my mates and I did this race we couldn't walk up or down stairs for about a week after. Come to think of it, we were like it last year too. Its a beast, but so fabulous you can't help but come back year after year.

• Options
    Hardest half completing that sounds like bragging rights - I might be up for this.

Goes to check out link & diary...
  • Options
    Damn it! I checked & I'm working. Just phoned up work to see if I could get the day(s) off & found out I'm screwed. If england get through they are playing on Saturday so I have no chance of getting the day off as leave has already been maxed out.

I'm not much into football but throwing a sickie on an England W/C game would be far too suspicious me thinks :(

[insert some random profanity here/]
  • Options
    Just checked re the England games.

If they finish 2nd in the group stage they will be playing at 17:00 on the 24th.

If they win the group they will play on the Sunday. On recent form I'm worried.
  • Options
    I have just spent my Easter weekend running up and down hills. I have not done hills before, slopes yes but not hills. Is there anything else I should be doing to prepare for this thing!?

PM

(I have realised that my body is aging quicker than my ego. I must stop myself from doing these stupid things that I could have done 20 years ago but now feel decidedly old trying!)
  • Options
    Tempted again ...

... it would be interesting to see how this race feels when I'm not at the tail end of a dose of viral meningitis. Not much better, I suspect.
  • Options
    hello again all. Finally signed up for this bad boy. My legs are aching just from the thought of this, they never really forgave me for the KC. Still, what else you gonna do on a saturday afternoon in June....

anyone know if the start times are staggered like the KC??
  • Options
    Ok I'm in! FLM pah! ;-)

Feeling like superwoman this week - must be the taper - will surely regret this one in the cold light of day!
  • Options
    Anyone going to the practice/warm up run on June 3rd?
  • Options
    Not me, running the Dorking 10 on 4th. Gentle warm up run for the Munro.....

Well worth going if you ain't been to Boxhill before, lets you know what you really signed up for.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Want to do this but is looking like work will clash with this, so may have to wait out a bit longer.

Was meant to do this last year, but tore my lateral ligament in my ankle the night before on a easy run in prep for the munro.....
  • Options
    Help! not done this one before.Seemed like a good idea at the time...now I'm not so sure.I like hills but do I like them this much ? Any good training tips...apart from the obvious !!!
    Am hoping to go to the practice run.
  • Options
    obviousy lots of hill running. Plenty of upper body/arm strength training. During the KC my shoulders hurt the most.
  • Options
    I went for my first post flm run last Tuesday - 'bout 10 miles ... on the flat. Felt ok but shoulders are tight so will take FE's advice and head for the gym. Upper body - not my forte. planning a few long hill sessions for this week!

You will be fine sparks, apparently core strength is good for careful descents - helps with balance and avoiding injury. When I finished the 3 forts half in south downs it was the downhills that were scary ... and I normally revel in them.

Look forward to the practice run.

GK
  • Options
    I must have a stupid day when I decided to enter this as my fastet half is 2hrs 17mins.

If it is as tough as the comments say then I will be looking at getting the wooden spoon!!!!