Options

Midsummer Munro Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Did the run through yesterday (many thanks to Rob for taking the time to organise this) and definately now looking forward to the big day. The knees took a bit of a battering on the downhill bits but I can still walk today so can't have been that bad. Just hope it's not as hot on the day as it was yesterday.
  • Options
    It was hot last year, but quite a lot of it is run in shade and it wasn't too bad.

Sorry to be missing this. Too, too many things on that day, and the greater good will be better served by me being elsewhere. Besides, I haven't trained enough.

Emma, my time for this last year was 3.27, and I wasn't quite last and there was plenty food left when I finished :o)
  • Options
    Oh well looks like I won't be able to walk for a few days, I'm suppose to be doing the Bewl Water 15 the week after looks like a no-no.

Velociraptor what is your usual half marathon time?
  • Options
    My half-marathon PB is just a few seconds over 2 hours, Emma, but at the time I did the Midsummer Munro I'd probably have been closer to 2.20 for a gently undulating road marathon.
  • Options
    I think that I will just enjoy the challenge.
  • Options
    Well, I'm horribly out of condition at the moment after spending all of winter and most of srping injured, so we can hang out at the back and enjoy the scenery!
  • Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    ATA - I will be there with you. Also injured and only just managed an undulating 10 miles last weekend. Haven't been any where near half marathon distance since New Forest last year.
  • Options
    Well at least I won't be on my own, as my brother will be well ahead of me.

Good to know I won't be the only one.
  • Options
    Do you recommend road shoes or off road hybrid type shoes for the run!
  • Options
    JB - Trail shoes are good, something with good grips. There's a good mixture of surfaces - grass, road, sand, mud, rocks, timber bridge...

Its nice to see some of you guys at the similar level to me, doing it for the challenge. Knowing you won't be able to walk normally for the following week.
    My whole body hurt after the KC and the Munros is almost twice the distance!?!. But it'll worth it, the reward of a great sense of achievement and pride.

I believe it was Doc Rob who said on the difference between KC and Munro - "I reckon on the P-squared formula for these events. Twice the distance does not equal twice the pain: it's four times the pain (and four times the accomplishment!)."
  • Options
    Just back from an undulating multi-surface 10.5 miles, and don't feel too bad so maybe there's hope for me yet.

Took just shy of 90 minutes, which is a fair enough pace. Let's see how we go...
  • Options
    Really looking forward to this - did the run thru - which was hard as I was feeling quite ill.. but the people I met were lovely, supportive and I'm sure the race will be the same ... I get the feeling this is close to the core of what our sport is all about.

Look forward to meeting you all

GK
  • Options
    Oh god! My purpose for even being on the thread ...

I am a girl best 1/2 1.48 (obviously just no indication for the MM but thought I'd throw it in) ... do a few guys want to form a team?? Could be fun!

GK
  • Options
    Hi there GK, hope you're feeling a lot better than you did a couple of weeks ago. If you need someone to make up the numbers for a team you can count me in. After the run through I felt quietly confident that I could beat beat two and a half hours for this race but then last weekend I managed to set a personal worst 10k time at Goodwood! Not the ideal preperation!!! Now I'm just aiming to finish in a fit enough state to enjoy the picnic and fast enough that the sandwiches haven't all gone by the time I get there :o)
  • Options
    GK and Smashie - I'd be proud to join your team if you'll have me. My function will be to make you two look good. My running mate, Nick.M, will want to join too, I'm sure.

We both did the KC in 80mins and have been training on the course for several weeks - Nick has been getting faster and fitter and I've been getting fatter and older. I shall be pleased if I get round in 2h 59m; Nick could do half an hour better than that.
  • Options
    Fabulous!

What a result - I'll e-mail Rob to say we have a team ... and erm go for a run! Praying, praying that it just cools down a wee bit for the race!

I am ginger... and therefore quite fair of skin and feel the heat quite accutely ... it was at least reassuring so much of the course is sensibly under shade.

Go Team!

GK
  • Options
    GK - Thanks for taking us in. We are Brian Morris and Nick Miles.

We were on Box Hill at 7.00 this morning for a nice steady 10.5, going up the Zig Zag, down to the Stepping Stones and up onto Ranmore Common. Since we were led by the Galloping Major Miles it was neither nice nor steady - 104min. It was warm even then so the MM at 4.00pm is going to be brutal. Thank goodness for the shade, as you say.
  • Options
    Hi team, I guess I'd better go for a training run tomorrow then if I'm going to keep pace with you guys. At least there is no shortage of water stations on race day so not too worried if it stays hot but I'll be praying for cooler conditions too.
  • Options
    I've been really looking forward to this for weeks, but on Friday I was diagnosed as having probably cracked a rib.

If I'm very lucky it might just be bruising to the muscles, which could heal by the end of this week and will just make for a very lazy taper, but if not it's very unlikely that I'll be able to run this weekend.

Am gutted.
  • Options
    Gosh- cracked rib sounds painful! Best not to attempt something like this when injured but it must be gutting. Bad luck - hope your recovery is swift.

My training has been quite poor - I didn't seem to recover from the FLM as quickly as I'd hoped and haven't been able to fit in as many long runs as I'd like. However I am hoping sheer will power will play a role and I have that in buckets ... or spades!

Looking at 2.30-2.45 but that may be optimistic depending on what the weather is doing ... much cooler today though so fingers crossed. Been doing weights in the gym as well as running - but don't know how much that has helped me - just resulted my abs and shoulders crying out for mercy!

Despite all this - really looking forward to it ... and more so to the picnic afterwards (the food - not the aptly named marathon race!!)!

Good luck in the calm days before the storm!

GK

• Options
    I too am one of those people getting my excuses in in advance. I had a niggling calf injury and have not done anywher near enough training. Just hoping to get round on will power. Not convinced that I have as much as Ginger Kid though. (As you have been down the gym perhaps you could carry me for the last few miles!)

PM
  • Options
    Bad luck, Alex; Good move PM.

GK and Smashie, what times did you do on the run-through, which covered the outward leg of the race, I believe?
  • Options
    Hi BRM, we did the run through at a real slow pace, stopping regularly to take in the sights and listen to Dr Rob's master class in the local geology. I think we took 2 to 3 hours to cover half the course so no real guide to how long it will take to do properly.

p.s. Good luck with the recovery Alex, fingers crossed its just bruising.
  • Options
    Smashie, I'm sorry that I missed that. We did our run-through early that morning at a brisk - and unrealistic - canter.

One striking thing about running on this course is that you're never thinking about the next mile-post - only about the next hill. I'd hate to do the race blind, as it would be just one terrible surprise after another.
  • Options
    Agree, knowing in advance what's round the next corner is going to make it a lot easier to get the pace right and psychologically should be a great help. My only real worry is the heat, tried running late Sunday morning when it was starting to get quite hot and felt drained of energy in no time at all despite drinking loads of water. Fingers crossed it stays cool till about 7pm and then hot for the picnic... that's not asking too much is it? :o)
  • Options
    Of course not. British weather and landscape are famously kind and welcoming.
  • Options
    http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/UKXX1867_c.html?force_units=1

Not looking too bad for the weekend.

Various people have advised me that running with a poorly rib is not necessarily a stupid thing to do as long as you don't mind the pain. Am high as a kite on a diet of Nurofen at the moment, so I'll see how I feel on Saturday morning before deciding. This will in no way be based on whether England lose to Sweden tonight, oh no.

Other people who are MSM regulars have warned me of the high chance that I'll fall over at some point, which is something else to consider.
  • Options
    Best of luck to all tomorrow - Looks like it's going to be a hot one.

Race Tactics Tip #1: Look for the fat bloke at the back (namely, me) and try to run more slowly than him.

GK and Smashie - See you at the Start tomorrow about 1540? What's our team name?
  • Options
    I'll be the chap limping along behind you.

Good luck everyone.

PM
  • Options
    Hi BRM, I'm afraid you have competition for the role of fat bloke at the back! Can't figure the weather forecast, the BBC can't make up it's mind if it's going to be hot or raining. Just as long as the sandwiches don't get soggy I'm ready for anything. As for team name, how about something apt like the "tail enders" or the "slow coaches" :o)