Options

Haweswater Half Marathon

Anyone else doing this? I did it last year and it's a little gem. Has any one had their number yet? I haven't heard anything and i'm getting a bit concerned. Ahhh

Comments

• Options
    I'll be there. First time for me at this one but I'd heard many good things about it.

I was getting concerned about numbers and so forth and went to the event website to find some contact details. There's a note saying they don't intend to send information out until the end of the month - looks like they'll be cutting things a bit fine but thats their problem rather than ours.
  • Options
    Just to amplify that last message - quote from the website follows

"The race is limited to 500 runners.Closing date for postal entries is 18th feb 2006.Race numbers and details will be posted out after 26th February.If the limit of 500 is not reached by the closing date, entries will be available on the day between 09:30 and 10:30."

• Options
    Tried it last year, but was recovering from an Achilles heel injury so didn't enjoy it as much as I should have.

Hope to do better this time.

See you there.
  • Options
    XBXB ✭✭✭
    I've just entered online.

I did this last year - I'm not sure how I finished because the scenery was so spectacular that I could have stopped and stared at it for hours.

This is one of the best.
  • Options
    Thanks Andy. If they say the end of the month then it will be. The organisation last year was first class. Hoping for similar conditions - plenty of snow on the hills and brilliant sunshine.
  • Options
    Have you all got numbers yet then? Mined turned up a few months back with a nice covering letter saying parking was available in shap (4 miles away) or penrith (further still).

Be interested to get the views of those who're ran this to know what parking is like on the day. I know the area a little and Bampton is only tiny - is there field parking somewhere?

• Options
    Hi Yap
    Last year there was parking right in the village. It was all off road on various fields and verges.
    No! still waiting for number.
  • Options
    just read my last post back again. I said number arrived a few months ago- actually ment to say days ago. Oops.

Thanks for the parking advice bill, think i'll get there early.
  • Options
    It's arrived. Number 232. Give me a wave when you pass me on the way back.
  • Options
    Got my number (71) this week too - pleased to see there at least a couple of hundred entered.
  • Options
    XBXB ✭✭✭
    Gulp. I've just realised that this race is next weekend. Where did February go?

I got my number - 299.

Looking forward to this.
  • Options
    Number 262. I'll keep my eyes open Bill. First half this year for me and also looking forward to it XB. Just moved to the area (ish) so this will be my first local race.
  • Options
    Can't figure out the route - does it go along the road to Mardale Head and then back along the lake shores? Trying to work out what shoes to wear!
  • Options
    Hi have entered this, and am quite nervous. How 'hilly' is it exactly? I ran the Liversedge half a couple of weeks ago, and boy did that have some killer hills in!

Is there likely to be snow? Don't fancy that, but I'm looking forward to the scenery.
  • Options
    I re-read the info letter about this over the weekend and now understand the previous references to parking in Shap or Penrith. I think what is being requested is for independent travellers to meet up where possible and car share the last part of the way.

With that in mind, does anybody want to park up in Shap and share a lift in? I'd be more than happy either to offer a lift or to contribute to somebody else's costs. I'm hoping to finish somewhere in the 1:45-1:50 region if that makes a difference.

If anybody is interested, I can dive up to Shap one lunchtime and identify a suitable meeting point. Feel free to post on here or email me direct.
  • Options
    Regret I'm going to have to pull out of this one.

Pulled my Achilles at Lossiemouth last week, and then aggravated the injury this weekend (no, not running).

As I have a marathon coming up I can't afford to do any more damage, and it is a hilly course.

Good luck to you all, enjoy it.

• Options
    XBXB ✭✭✭
    That's bad news, Haggis. I was looking forward to you pulling me through the last mile like you did at York.

Get well soon.

• Options
    i'll be there! Hoping to run it under 2 hours - PB on this course of 2 hours 3mins 2 years ago, so fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Cumbriandy - quite happy to meet in shap and share a ride down. Somewhere outside the NB shop would be a good place to start looking for parking. We'll get the chance to use the money off voucher.

Race starts at 11:00am and I normally like to turn up about an hour before, hows that suit. Meet in shap 9:45?

First race this year for me and I'm taking it as a bit of a tester. Aiming for anything under 1hr40.
  • Options
    do think we can expect snow?
  • Options
    Yap yap - sounds good to me. There's actually a reasonable sized free car park opposite the NB shop. I'll aim to be hanging around outside the shop and we can take it from there.

You'll be looking for a tall bloke with greying red hair. I assume I'm looking for a small dog?!
  • Options
    Will do CA. Meet you at 9.45 at NB shop. I'll be in a blue ford focus and will be barking loudly. Will wear a badge.

Anybody else want to hitch a ride?
  • Options
    Sorry jo, missed you out. Not sure about snow but will check the five day forecast. Be a scenic run out if we do get some though.
  • Options
    Forecast look great for the weekend. Specially saturday but thats not much help for the race. Sunday has a white cloud but looks breezy. No snow jo.

There's a good covering of snow on the fells though so if it stays cold we should be in for a treat.
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to this one, I might even take my camera, it sounds scenic. What about these hills anyone know how tough they are?
  • Options
    They're not too bad Salts. Long and gradual rather than the short sharp type. The good news is that the last three miles or so are are a really helpful downhill gradient.

Bill
  • Options
    Probably the worst hill will be just after the turn around. Its a long gradual climb of about a mile (guessing)and gets steeper at the top. At least you get to suss it out on the way down. I havn't run the race but have driven to Mardale Head many times.