Options

'Mature' runners.

Comments

• Options

Columba and Red, there wasn't much cut out of the first 1,200 metres, we just ran accross one of the bends. The midges were out in force during our sessions and I have got several itchy lumps where I was bitten. We don't know who was in the helicopter, but I'm sure one of the club members will find out. Hope your x country went well last night Columba, and good luck with your half marathon.

This morning I did a recovery pace 6.5 miles on roads, including a loop of Hythe Marina. The Southampton Water looked really lovely, as the waves were breaking  and the sun was making the water sparkle.

Tomorrow evening, we have a scheduled 10 miler in the forest, which fits in perfectly with my half marathon programme.

BIW, good news that your recovery is coming on well.

• Options

Have entered little Charly in a White Shepherd show on 23rd September, in the puppy class of course,which is 3 to 6 months, he will be 4 months old then. Be interesting to see how he stacks up against the other pups. Of course we think he's gorgeous but a professional judge may see him quite differently. We showed Oz at 7 months (youth class) and he won the class, but we were never able to show him as an adult or register him to breed as he was missing a tooth (the P4 for those in the know).

• Options

But JJ, you have other attributes!

• Options

Still can't upload any photos, I am following the rules to not upload more than 250kb but it doesn't work. I have been trying to upload a photo of Charly that has only 95kb but every time the computer tells me it's 99% done then gives me a message saying oops something went wrong, you will now be transferred to ...etc. Then nothing happens.

• Options

JJ you are right, it probably was more like a fartlek session, but it was ideal for me with two half marathons and a 10 miler race coming up. The longer efforts are probably more appropriate. The club has a good mixture of abilites, and some enter 50 and 100 mile races. I'm not sure of the value of shorter efforts for the "extreme distance runners" but acknowledge that they must have some speed work in their training. Your run sounds encouraging, and you are slowly but surely getting back into form.

• Options

JJ - so sprinters probably have a lot of Type 2B?

re your comment to IW about the beefcake contests and missing teeth: - didn't stop you breeding, though, did it?

One of the men at the x-c last night had run across Wales on Saturday; from the English border to the coast. It took him 12 and 1/4 hours. I didn't ask him about the route, but it must have involved crossing mountains.

• Options

Morning all,

Another glorious day here and I did a lovely xc run at first light (which is getting later and later now).  The ground is rock hard and quiet difficult in places where there are rutted farm tracks.  Just under 7 miles in total image

JJ, well done.  It is hard going at the moment isn't it.  We'll soon be complaining that it's too muddy though won't we!  What are Type 2B fast twitch fibres when they're at home?

Columba, I hope you're resting now in readiness for the weekend.

• Options

Redhead, you are putting me to shame with the miles you're getting in, i'm hoping for another 5 miles tonight.

I'm heading off to your native Liverpool for a few days on saturday stopping at premier inn at Albert dock, and would you believe it Mrs OT has booked a stadium and museum tour at Anfield for monday. I always thowt it were me  that was football daft. !  

• Options

OT, how fab.  That's where we stayed when I did the marathon last year.  I've played in a band at Anfield and have been in the trophy room (much to Mike's annoyance as he hasn't!).  It's a great city and I hope you have a lovely time.

• Options

Red, have you run 1,000 miles yet this year?

OT, Hope you have a good time on Merseyside. I can't believe it's 25 years since I left Liverpool. I wouldn't recognise the City now.

Off for a 10 mile forest run with the club later.

• Options

Thanks, TE.

Redhead, may i ask where did you park the car, if you took it of course ? 

• Options

I am really upset with Telecom - down at the other house over the weekend we still had no telephone service even though they are billing us every month. Now tonight I get home from dog club and the phone here is dead too! I feel like swearing, a lot. Now I shall have to call their 0800 service number again from work or on my mobile, probably get put on hold and never get to speak to anyone.

• Options

BIW - That is so infuriating. If you're put on hold you won't even have the satisfaction of swearing at anyone. Hope it gets sorted soon. Hope you're not paying bills for no service.

Redhead - yes, I am being good and resting. Apart from gardening. And not a lot of that.

Agreed, Liverpool is a lovely city. Younger Daughter was at Uni there. When I went to visit she thoroughly enjoyed taking me around and showing me the sights.

• Options

Afternoon all,

I'm sheltering form the midday sun as it's HOT!  Ran 5 miles xc earlier whilst ot was nice and fresh.

OT, we didn't take our car but there are loads of parking spaces by the hotel as it's near to the Echo arena.  Make sure that the air con works in your room or that you have a window that opens (we didn't and had an awful night and were moved the next day when we complained).  As I know you like curries, there's a really good Indian restaurant http://www.spicelounge.uk.com/ just round the corner by the Albert Dock.  Say hello to teh superlambananas from me image

IW, that is so frustrating.  Hope you get it sorted quickly.

• Options

Thanks Redhead, but you've got me stumped with superlambananas ?

Tis hot here too, if i do run today it will be later on at 6ish.

• Options

BIW, Germany seems to be worse than GB with their telephone service and rectifying faults.

We cut last night's run to 8 miles, as it was getting dark rather quickly in the forest. We started off at an easy pace and increased it mile by mile after half way. Mile splits were :- 9.53, 10.37, 10.45, 10.06, 9.20, 9.09, 8.46 and 8.39.

A rest day today, and just as well as it is very hot. Will do 10 miles tomorrow, on my own in the forest, in which it will probably be hotter than today.

• Options

OT, there's a photo of me standing next to one here on my blog if you scroll down a bit - http://www.extremeknittingredhead.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/day-before-marathon-still-more-to-be.html

TE, you're doing some cracking mileage since you joined the club.

• Options

I remember those lambananas.

Very warm here, too. Hope it cools off a bit before Sunday.

• Options

Redhead, many thanks again, i'll be sure to have a photo standing at the side of one them  there superlambananas  !    image

Have a nice weekend everyone.  image

• Options

Afternoon all,

I'm cooling down inside as it's meltingly hot outside image  Glad I ran nice and early as it was all misty and autumnal then.  Just 3.5 miles up and down hills on a circular route.

OT, see if you can find the one I was next to - it's quite near to your hotel image

TE, hope you got out nice and early.

Columba, GOOD LUCK tomorrow in case I don't get back on here before then.  You've trained well and will reap the rewards.  Just make sure you're well hydrated beforehand and if it's really hot just slow your pace right down and you'll be fine. I have a prediction on your finish time but I'm not going to tell you beforehand.  Run strong and enjoy yourself xxx

• Options

Columba, best of luck tomorrow! It's forecast 27 deg. here, so hope it is cooler for you!

Red, good to see that you are taking it a bit easier at present. It is important that you recover properly from your marathon. I set off for my 10 miler at 11.00 this morning and it was very hot. I remembered to wear my cap, so wasn't too bothered by the heat. I kept up a good pace throughout, and ran it in 1.43.00, an average of 10.18. I am starting to feel more confident now, and will try for a respectable time in the NF Half on 23rd Sept. By the way, I remember "The Big Three," and thought they were great. Pity they didn't issue more tracks.I'm sure they could have gone on to bigger things, as they undoubtably had the talent.

• Options

Thank you for your good wishes, - and for TE's mention of a cap, - I have added it to my "get ready" list. Has been rather warm here today, but I think forecast is for a little cooler tomorrow.

• Options

Morning all,

HOT is the best word to describe today.  I haven't run today 'cos I had a really rough night with asthma and Mike was the voice of reason suggesting I take a day off.  Feeling better now and had a massive bonfire earlier to make myself feel as if I'd done something.  Crochet this afternoon as the heat will keep me out of the garden.

Paws crossed for Columba!

TE, wow, you were brave going out at 11am but that was a good time for 10 miles.

JJ, that's a jolly good haul of prizes.  You are having a good refit.  Hope the kitchen is looking fabulous.  I still smile each day when I see ours as it's so beautiful even after 9 years and was designed just how we wanted it.

• Options

A new kitchen is one of my dearest wishes, this one was in the house when we moved in - and it's still here. I hate it, it's old and scruffy, and I'd like to know how many other women there are out there who are turning out gourmet meals on just one gas burner!

• Options

Thank you for all your good wishes. The weather was very kind; clouded over as the race began, and there was a pleasant cooling breeze some of the time. Also lots of tree cover. I completed the half in 2 hours 36 minutes by my stop-watch; official time yet to come, but it won't be far out (there was an official clock running about a mile and a half before the end, and it tallied with my watch). That will be a PB by approximately 14 minutes, and I should love to know what Red's prediction was. My, it was hard! I felt I was pushing myself all the way. At the 5-mile marker my watch was saying 54 minutes, which must be the fastest I've ever run 5 miles in.

• Options

Ooh, and a TOTP as well!

Got a medal (every finisher did) and a decidedly baggy T-shirt.