Options

I need a career change

2»

Comments

• Options
    SDI if you need any info on Guide Dogs etc e mail me my big sister has worked for them for years.
  • Options
    Ink BlotInk Blot ✭✭✭
    Thank you Tickled Pink, you've been very helpful. I've looked on the net about HNC/HND courses but they all need qualifications that I don't have (unless I'm missing something!) I'm making a list of all the accountants in my area and I'm going to approach them individually, if only to get their advice on what qualificaions they would like to see before they would take someone like me on. RE the p/t job, I'm not holding my breath, I know I'll be very lucky indeed to get the job but it is something I'd really enjoy while I study for something else. Your right about the pay....£5.56 an hour! Only just scrapes through the October increase to minimum wage!!

Kev.....I've only ever had one fight in my life, I emerge most unscaved but only due to the fact that she was even weaker than me so I'm not sure this would be a very profitable business for me......plus Amadeus and Pizza man seem very sure that I shouldn't be self employed!
  • Options
    Ink BlotInk Blot ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Ink BlotInk Blot ✭✭✭
    DoctorK, you got mail :o)
  • Options
    Aren't there Access courses that are for people without the "proper" qualifications for uni/HNC type courses. I think they take less time than A levels
  • Options
    you could take a career break and go and live with relatives in Italy for a couple of months. Learn the language, work on the land, help rebuild a swimming pool, stuff like that :o)
  • Options
    Ink BlotInk Blot ✭✭✭
    ha ha ha ha ha

Oh, you were serious :o|

Actually as it happens, I have had a bit of luck on the job front. I'm going to see a man about a yard job in the morning. Just mornings....6.30 - 12.30 6 days a week. Perfect! That will leave evenings free for extra part time work to top money up and to do a college course.

I'll give you a ring tomorrow evening to let you know how I get on :o)
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    SDI

ACCA's Certified Accounting Technician is a good qualification in itself, and also gives you entry into the ACCA professional scheme at level 2, and doesn't need formal qualifications for entry.

Also, you get to put the letters CAT after your name - that's pretty cool for an animal lover!

http://www.accaglobal.com/prospectivestudents/accountingtechnician/

Accountancy is one of those jobs that everyone thinks is boring, but actually, once you get into it, you find out just about everything that goes on in the company you work for (although you aren't allowed to gossip about it :o(), and it is usually the safest job too - if a company is doing badly, the last people they can afford to pay off are the ones who can tell them when they are starting to do better.

Although I got into it by accident, it's not a bad job really, and pays ok, even at Technician level. If you get fully qualified (ACCA or CA) then it is a nice earner.

To quote Glenn (another forumite):

There are three types of accountant: those who can count and those who can't.
  • Options
    How about working in a zoo?
  • Options
    Ink BlotInk Blot ✭✭✭
    Nessie that's brilliant info, thanks very much. I've had a quick read through and it looks like is would suit me perfectly.

Dom, there's nothing available in the zoo near me at the moment :o(
  • Options
    I know this is a little bit of an old post. However i was wondering if anyone knows a good online college to start on construction related studies. Mainly site manager courses , Need to gain a CSCS card asap. Haha.. . Any recommendation would be appreciated.
    https://alexwalker19.blogspot.com