Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    RB - u going nads akimbo for a fast as poss time on the day at Edinburgh? or just another long run for you.
  • Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Njord -- we wait anxiously for the full multi-page report -- are you finished? Sleep well!
  • Options
    Running Bhoy wrote (see)

TR's post is aimed at the fact that there are certain fred "rules" regarding being a Jonny1Post ie coming on havinh never posted before and wanting your time put up on the rankings.  It just work quite that easily - hang around, tell your story, share your experiences, and confess your choice of washing machine and then you can add your time to the rankings list. 

Just like to drop in a post every now and again so that when it comes to the sharp end next spring I am a Jonesey2posts and not a Jonny1Post. I normally put my tuppence into the 3:15 thread but may need some sub 3:00 help in the coming campaign. I started a marathon campaign in Janurary and raced Stratford last weekend and got 2:57:09 so the sb 3:15 GFA I needed for VLM is all secured now.

I won't do an autumn marathon so the summer will be spent tidying up some PBs, need to get as many sub 6 m/m done as I can, have 5k in the bag, 10k is really just book keeping as I went through 10k in a half at 6:04 pace so the aim is 60 mins for 10 miles: any good ideas for a fast, flat course in the autumn? I am based in High Wycombe so south east is best but if it is pancake flat I will travel.

Then the campaign will start again aiming at VLM. Initial plan is sub 2:55 but there is a 2:50 niggle there that may need scratching and that may well be where I need the advice to get a better conversion (my half is 1:22:15 so double and add over 12 minutes) so I can do like a few other V45s did and get 2:50 off a 1:24 first half, 1:26 second.

• Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    PMJ: Welcome and well done at Stratford. The 10 mile race you're looking for is the Cabbage Patch 10 in October. Fast and flat and a good standard means it's the best race to try and break the hour - I'll be there with the same goal. 2 years ago I missed out by 20 secs.

• Options
    MtR, thanks for that, I keep misisng the Cabbage Patch as it doesn't come up on runbritain, runners world etc. Will pencil it in now and see how things move forward.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

hole in the leg - indeed, none meant, just saying its a rankings list for those that particiapet on here (if they want their name on there - some dont).

backed up y'day mornings run with lunchtime 250s in the lido, but I was a bit short of time and beans y'day, had a cricket match again last night and got another one tonight, its all a bit mad at the mo.

44 years young today, still good for age, but starting to realsie that I might not make the Olympics, run a 2:30 or a bag a 9:30.

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    happy bday TR!
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    TR - happy b'day. You don't look a day over 50.
  • Options
    coroniumcoronium ✭✭✭
    TR - happy birthday!
  • Options
    JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    TR - Happy b'day you old bar steward.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday TR- age is not what is stopping you from running 2.30 !!

Did 100 minutes on the bike this morning but having a day off running. Has been about 3 weeks so it is time for a break.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Many happy returns TR, don't suppose you got breakfast in bed??

PMJ.. good to see you on here complete with the tufty club sub 3 badge. 

• Options
    Happy Birthday TR !!!

Philip_M_Jones, well done at Stratford. MtR's recommendation of the Cabbage Patch 10 is a good one. If you can get to London for an 8am start on a Saturday morning then there is a self-transcendence 10M in Battersea Park on Sept 10th which is as flat as you could find.

Re the only so many good marathons theory, not sure that applies to everyone, I can think of someone who ran a PB at London this year at the pointy end after 50-odd marathons.

Still not feeling 100% after VLM yet, my legs are still becoming tired most times I run even at slow paces. Regardless of that I'm planning to get back to proper training next week. Might try a flat out parkrun tomorrow to see just what shape I'm in. Still not quite sure what I learned from VLM but possibly I found out that I've got as far as I can from just going out for a jog whenever I feel like it, and that now it's time to start putting in some real work...
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Happy birthday TR! IM next year then - you'll be in an easier AG for Kona qualification.

Went to the local pool yesterday evening for a steady hour's swim. Only two lanes, so there were around 8 people in each, mainly doing breastroke, and the occasional person doing backstroke down the middle of the lane. And the usual problem turning due to the number of people standing at the end having a chat. Anyway, did about 3.3km in the hour with 100s taking between 1:30 and 1:50 depending on traffic. A good fartlek session with lots of 10s sprints to overtake people!

Then ran the 5M home. Also did a bike session at the gym at lunchtime. Think that makes Bingo! Unless the bike needs to be on the road.

Easy day today (steady cycle this evening) before another big weekend - next club duathlon tomorrow morning, followed by a few hours cycling, and a long brick on Sunday (subject to Saturday pm drinking session not being too extreme).

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
     Thanks, my nippers laugh that I qualify as good for age, cos that’s what the SPO says about our next door neighbour who still lives on her Jack Jones in her 90s. 

Gobi – agreed, it’s the fact that I still have over 3M to go when the clock ticks 2:30. They were just (out of reach) figures I plucked out the air, I’m happy in my 2:5X mara/ half IM world.

Wardi – no, but I didn’t go training early as the nippers wanted to see me. They gave me a chocolate cake and told me “don’t eat it all fatman”……..guess they want some then. I’ll treat myself to a beerio after the eldests match tonight (and some 200s in the lido at lunch).

Padams – I have more modest ambitions for next yr. Sounds a bit like my lido. I need to get my wettie wet tomorrow to make sure it still works (and swap my bike wheels over – I’ve been holding them back from the West Sussex roads, but need to try em out). What date is IMA ? I saw that Savaloy is doing the Swash, I think he's doing IMA too - but he's a V40 so wont be cahsing a slot you're after.

• Options

Happy Birthday TR.  I thought your VLM qualification was based on good for weight rather than age anyway? image

Wettie doesn't come out until the swash, although I did manage Bingo! on wednesday (swim first thing, run lunchtime, bike evening).

I always thought the 'two marathons a year' thing was just about the elites who need to be at absolute peak or they're also-rans.  Doesn't seem to apply to the IM tri folks, although differences between winner and also-ran aren't quite so fine and many of the pros need to race 5 or 6 times a year just to make a living.

• Options
    Filthyrich wrote (see)

Philip_M_Jones, well done at Stratford. MtR's recommendation of the Cabbage Patch 10 is a good one. If you can get to London for an 8am start on a Saturday morning then there is a self-transcendence 10M in Battersea Park on Sept 10th which is as flat as you could find.
    Filthyrich, thanks. 8am is not trouble in London, my normal day starts at 6:45 in London so it is a lie in! This is actually on one of my occasional routes so familiar territory but the field looks a bit thin. I may give it a go but it is only £1 extra for entry on the day so nothing needs to be decided for a while yet.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

CD – good point, good for age and good for weight. I should get my own start pen ! I just want to make sure I can still swim a bit in my Wettie, and that it doesn’t fill up with water. The web says that the Solent is about 14 degrees at the mo, which is a bit warmer than when I first got in there last yr. Hope the early morning temperatures rise a bit by next weekend too, I don’t want to be spending 10mins in T1 lots of layers on.

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    TR - 3 July (7 weeks on Sunday). Luckily most of the faster UK guys I know who are doing it are not in my AG (except MTriton), but I'm sure there will be loads of German/Austrian uber-bikers.
  • Options

Interesting to see the recent discussion on running marathons close together. I hadn't planned on doing the distance again till next year, but saw the other day that entries were still open for the Brathay Windermere Marathon. I had to pull out last year due to injury so considering I'm feeling back in form again after London I thought I'd do it as a long scenic hilly training run.

Never thought I'd be entering a marathon 9 days out before. I think I'll ignore all aspects of tapering except the eating!

• Options
    JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    Lots of triathlons being done during the day. Really don't know how you get the time but suppose lunchtime training can help which is impossible for me.

Spent a couple of hours at walk in Hospital yesterday and the nurse thought it was inflammation on my foot so on ibuprofen to see if that helps otherwise I'll be back. Still painful.
    10m tt for me last night. 25.3x on a painfully slow course with awful roads. There's a couple of guys who can do 19 elsewhere only do a 22min there. There was a cycle race also going on on the same loop and they took up most of the road so had to go to other side of road to get past. Very dangerous.

TR- Savaloy will be hard to beat for any M40's as he's good in all disciplines and a monster in the water. He's a pretty stocky geezer too.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Padams – wow, 7 weeks already. You can take those uber boys out on the run ! Havnt heard from Mt for a while, I saw he had a (relatively) bad day for him at VLM.

JH1 – shame you didn’t get a better diagnosis. Have you tried a bit of Internet diagnosis – it pinpointed my Mortons Neuroma ok ? Savaloy beat Colin Dixon out of the water at the recent NF race. I dont expect that there will be too many ahead of him at the Swash, but no doubt James Gilfillan will be on his 3rd cigar by the time the second finisher appears.

Seeing as I can average 10x200/10 sec rest in 3:30s, I thought 3:35 would be a good target for 15 of them, and thats what I just did !

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday, TR.

On my way to Reading for the first leg of the premiership playoffs. Come on, you Royals, indeed image
  • Options

Hi guys, with all this tri talk going on I thought I'd ask for some advice on a template training plan I've put together. I've never done a triathlon before so feel improvement will come from increasing volume of swimming/cycling from very little to a moderate amount while leaving hopefully enough running to improve my 5k time (which is currently half my 10k time minus 3(!) seconds) and remain sharp at distances up to 10 miles. I'm entered into the same middle distance tri as TR and MtR towards the end of September.

I live a mile away from work so there's no return 40 min trip required
    That's five cycles to get some time in the saddle, one long cycle and either a long brick (Weds) or hard brick (Sat) - can alternate.
    Three swims is probably enough for me to improve and over a Half Ironman the time I can improve on is negligable compared to what I may gain on the bike by training or lose in the run by slacking there.
    Run mileage would be between 40 and 60 miles. The context here is that I was doing consecutive 90+ weeks earlier this year.

Monday
    AM: cycle to work, 40mins
    PM: steady run after work 40 mins then swim with Zoom tri club in the evening

Tuesday
    AM cycle to work, 40 mins
    PM main running session with BAC

Wednesday
    PM medium long run 12 to 16 miles, not hard but include hills/off road OR a steady effort cycle (min 90 mins) then run (min 60 mins) brick

Thursday
    PM secondary running session (either shorter reps than Tues or race pace work)

Friday
    PM swim plus core/strength work in the gym

Saturday
    AM Tempo run session or parkrun blast, turn it into a brick session if no cycling Wednesday evening
    PM core work

Sunday
    AM Long cycle, minimum three hours, can do sections at pace, on hills, vary weeks to week etc - maybe also a couple of easy run miles off the bike
    PM swim at the gym

• Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭

CJ: It's not a million miles from my plan:

Swim
    3 sessions, 1 technique (drills), 1 intervals, 1 steady (inc open water)

Bike
    3 hour weekend ride, 2x1 hour rides (1 brick), plus an additional 50 commuting miles - but all done at training effort rather than pootling about.

Run
    Medium long run (12-16), then 2 of tempo/intervals/short race

Happy Birthday TR

Bingo for me yesterday. 9am swim, 1pm run, 8pm bike - all 45 mins to 1 hour.

• Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

TR - happy birthday

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

more bingo, nice one MtR 

CJ – If you meant 40miles instead of 40mins every morning then that routine would be ace …………….search back a few pages, CRAB posted something for MtR, along the lines of 3 runs (Long run, tempo and intervals) and lots of swim and bike. He referenced the fact that MTriton said that folks should be looking at 2/3rds of their training time on the bike if they have serious tri aspirations. 3 swims, 3 runs and 3 bikes is the starting point IMO, and then build in what you can around your life. Looks like too much run and not enough bike for me, but you’ll get round that Sept race ok on that routine. You defo need  the decent length bike in the week eg 90mins to 2 hrs.  I would rather see some 60 min turbos instead of the morning 40 mins too. The run is tough in that race but with your running background you’ll cope well. 

Your swimming will improve quicker with higher frequency and less distance to start with, but you might already be a strong swimmer.

I’ve read a few things lately to say that bricks are over rated and too risky , so I havnt done any. But in 10 days time I may be regretting that. I’ll get back to you on that.

If you have the balance right then you should be worrying that you are doing far too much bike and that your running ability is going to go down the pan !

• Options
    nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday TR, enjoy the beer(s) later
  • Options

Happy birthday TR, enjoy blowing the froth off a few

• Options

Big read back

TR: Happy Birthday!!!! Enjoy the celebrations

HH - how's the achilles after a lighter couple of days?

Murph1: thank you. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Selbs OMG!!!!!!! You saw Roger Waters doing The Wall. Sooooooooooooooo jealous. Saw him at Glasto - brilliant.

LD - like the sound of that hill training. Excellent work.

PMJ - welcome. Stick around, as TR and others said to me 2 years ago. It's amazing what can happen!

FR - know how you feel.

Padams - great training.

JH1 - eeek. Hope that's ok.

TR - second time in a week someone's mentioned Morton's Neuroma as a friend of ours has it.

Joolska - good luck with it!

Just a base building week for me: aiming for something between 65-70 miles but all slow after a slightly work-induced anger on Monday. Can't say it has all been pain free with the ITB but this afternoon's was by far the most comfortable yet. Eating and drinking happily - half a stone heavier than London at the moment. Wtf. Body needed a rest so I'm enjoying myself image