Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    Anyone know if you have a GFA and run sub 75 if you can change to Champs place? (Admittedly I cant necessarily see the point but just out of interest. Only snuck under 3 at VLM but have since run 49 for a 9 mile race at the weekend so I am hoping to target 75...we shall see though!
  • Options
    If I were a cockney spiv, a small time gangster, an Arthur Daley, I would be calling in a favour. All talk would be of "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours etc"
    Because, today, I discover that my little brother, who I got an FA Cup semi and FA cup final ticket for last month, has only bleedin got 4x 100m final olympic tickets.
    Do you think I should have a severed horses head placed on his pillow with a menacing note, demanding he look after 'is own?

On the otherhand, I have got some non-descript athletic heats. Sadly, to the vast disappointment of the young Lady Didsburyettes, we got no BMX. Neither use nor ornament.
  • Options
    Ps - 460 miles cycled last 11 days. Gayer than a gay Gordon.
  • Options
    B7-B7 wrote (see)
    Anyone know if you have a GFA and run sub 75 if you can change to Champs place? (Admittedly I cant necessarily see the point but just out of interest. Only snuck under 3 at VLM but have since run 49 for a 9 mile race at the weekend so I am hoping to target 75...we shall see though!

Champs places are open for a long time, until 6th January 2012, and there are plenty of reasons to switch as it is a better start, more space, toilets etc.

BTW, who organises a 9 mile race? Very odd distance but if it is fast (and you ran fast on it) it may interest me next year as a stepping stone to sub hour 10.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Blimey Dids you cycling poofter !!!!!!

Time trialled last night and my strangely rested body was well up for it. 23.10 a best on the course and only 4 seconds off my PB which was done on a very fast course. All sorts of reasons why this shold not have happened.

Giving me a few ideas for my taper for AdH next month.

Today I have done some hill reps, easy/steady pace as coaching someone else and I have an interclub 10 mile TT tonight. Twisty Hilly course and just taking one for the team.

• Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭

In marathon training I do a weekly 'performance combo' of some tough reps followed by tempo. Now it's races nearly every Sunday by the time I've recovered from the last one I'm worried about running too hard to do well in the next one... maybe I should stop worrying and count the races as more than enough speed work. Anyway, 4x0.5M efforts (~5:40/M) and 7M steady 6:39/M (rather than proper tempo), and some form drills, for a total of 12.25M this morning. Felt harder than it should, I'm sure.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

CW - I'm sure that the racing is doing you good, just listen to your body during the week and if you can do more speedwork then great stuff.

never noticed a lack of space or toilets in the GFA area, plus you get to line up with me and Ode !

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Mate of mine got a pair of tix to men's 100m final night (men's 10,000m also). Admits freely that he's no big athletics fan - thinks they're all on drugs; but I won't slate him since I've got 12 months to convince him that his wife doesn't want to go with him!

JH1 - can't you, ahem, "confiscate" some tickets from dodgy looking foreign tourists next summer. Sure you can find a way to plant something incriminating on them.
    Will be heading your way later en route to Mont Blanc marathon this weekend.

Spent much of the last few days in oncology & radiotherapy departments with my mum. Does make you appreciate your own good health. Staggers me how cavalier some people are with their own health; but none of my business I suppose.

Lovely 6 or 7 mile run on the huge beach at Weston-S-M this morning. Most uplifting.

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

good luck DanA - u doing the whole marathon then?  thought u were doing the "cross".

CW - what TR said!

i got fed up of all the slow plodding i have been doing all week and said to myself time to put yourself in the hurt box - if only for a little while - so did a 5km TT on the treadmill a few hours after my jog commute in this morning.  Never done that before, and mistimed it a bit, meaning the last km i had to slow down/gave up a little... but managed 17:15, so at least i have done a bit of fast stuff now this week and can get back to plodding. 

Treadmill def still a lot easier than outside... but just gives me a marker to compare against in future.  Has brought up a record total (by far) of 73 miles in 5 days.. and if i get out the door for a run tomorrow, and a long run Saturday - defintiely looking at my biggest (by far again) ever week.  Had to get it in early this week, as big work drinks tonight, and other half away on girls weekend, which means a big boys weekend on the cards as well.... stil not quite getting the balance/discipline... but i will try and bring that in from July image

Hope Glast stays dry now MtR.

has anyone done the "British 10km London run" race before?  got my race pack (this is my 10km PB attempt) and i see there are no pens based on predicted times or anything, soudns like just first in best dressed for where u start... with 25,000 runners, i am thinking i may have been a bit silly entering this one for a PB attempt!  any hints from those who may have doneit before - or is it just "get there early".

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

BTW, who organises a 9 mile race? Very odd distance but if it is fast (and you ran fast on it) it may interest me next year as a stepping stone to sub hour 10.

this could be just what you are looking for PMJ - was won in 45:09 this year, 1st V45 52:18
      - only problem (for you) is the probable 3 hr drive to get there!!   

• Options
    PMJ - Thats one that Birch has listed, the one I did was near Solihull - great way to get a Top 10 UK ranking - like that 20k race someone did.

http://www.thepowerof10.info/rankings/rankinglist.aspx?event=9M&agegroup=ALL&sex=M&year=2011
  • Options
    B7-B7 wrote (see)
    PMJ - Thats one that Birch has listed, the one I did was near Solihull - great way to get a Top 10 UK ranking - like that 20k race someone did.

Ah, Hampton in Arden. Used to do a 10 miler up there, 5 Villages (was based in Leamington) but it seems to have dropped off the calendar. Solihull is in range for me, but not South Yorks.

Good thing about these odd races and po10 is not only do you get a ranking but they list all people and dont have a super fast cut off time.

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Selbs - that's right. The Cross on Saturday. But on Sunday I'm planning on doing the marathon route (starting about 2 hours behind the official race, then tagging on an extra climb and descent). Should take about 7-8 hours; will be a good workout this weekend.

Nice treadie run btw. I disagree about finding it easier than outside. I can't run my MP on a treadmill for much more than an hour. Admittedly I haven't tried, but I find it hard work nonetheless.
  • Options
    My bruvver has kindly offered me some of his tickets!!! Sadly, not the men's 100m... they are for women's diving. (actually, very pleased about this really).
  • Options

Nice to see some great training from the likes of Padams, Selbs, DanA and others besides. Sorry to hear about various bugs or niggles e.g. Gobi and work pressures BR/Coro. Sorry to hear about the ribs TR - I've broken ribs three times and it did affect my running the last time for some weeks: all best with that. All the best again DanA for your mum's treatment.

25 miles in 3 days for me - much more like it! Resting up today but all getting back on course which feels great. Need it as work is unbelievably crazy, stressful and basically hideous.I haven't totally ruled out Berlin but it's still a month sooner than I'd like really so will see. Maybe I'll get a number for Abo?!

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

DanA - nice support for your mum y'day, good lad !

HR - 5 weeks on from the crash and its easing a bit

I was experiencing "unable to proceed" errors by 6:01am, I finally made a submission about 6:20. Bagged 9M with a few strides in it afterwards. Striding without too much discomfort is a step forward, but i reckon I made the right choice to not race 5M on Weds.

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

so what did u apply for TR?

since i got 1 session of beach voleyball i can't apply for anything until 8 July anyway.  wont bother, there isn't going to be anything decent left by then anyway!  good news on the ribs.

LARGE night out with work for me last night, and a v late (for me on a school night) 2am to bed.  need to blow away the cobwebs with a womble later then.  lucky i got the miels in early this week!

DanA - sounds an awesome weekend, a couple of friends are over doing the cross as well - i wish i had signed up in hindsight (nothing to do with u positng the pics of who u are going with a while back though image)

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Womens Volleyball and hockey, I coincided it with days that bike TTs and marathons are on too. There was still availability showing for the sessions I selected after my submission too, so I'll be aggrieved if I dont get anything. I was onloy allowed to pick 3 sessions. A fella at cricket last night told me he got 4 sets of tickets in an initial submission of 10. The SPOs friend applied for £1500 worth and got £106. Its the folks that applied for too many tickets that ruined it for the folks like me that applied for a sensible 3 or 4 sessions ! The first application should have been limited to 3 or 4 sets too.

The strides are cos I have a number for a local XC race on Weds, will be a bit strange to run in what is effectivley a race rather than running for a tergat time in a marathon (or rare shorter race)   

• Options

Not been on here for a while, or any of the forums much lately.  Mother-in-law dies last week, four years after being diagnosed with bowel cancer and two months after being told that all the treatments they'd tried, with varying degrees of pain and discomfort, hadn't worked.  So we've known this was going to happen at some point over the summer and you'd think that would make things a little easier, both from a practical and emotional perspective, but it doesn't really. 

I'd stepped up my childcare duties a bit more so that F could spend more time with her mum, and then with her dad afterwards.  Obviously that canned some training which I have no problem with, it's pretty secondary right now anyway, but she's actually been pretty supportive in getting me out training when we can - I suppose it's maintaining some degree of normal life.  Last weekend, for example, was 5 laps of open water swimming in Shepperton Lake early doors saturday, and making use of my regular Father's Day treat on sunday of joining one of the fast groups on the London to Brighton, riding back solo (95 mile round trip), then going straight back out for a 16 mile run.  I've also discovered the joys of Go'clock running: 9 miles at 5am twice this week so far, and I have to say that at this time of year 5am is a great time to be out there.

On the ticket front, the missus applied for lots of tickets for us, got an email confirmation of the application, since then, nothing, no emails telling us we hadn't got any so no chance to go into the second draw either.  We should probably chase it up but there are lots of other things to sort out right now.  To be honest the news that the National Trust are going to restrict access to Box Hill for the cycling road race (and almost certainly charge for the privilige) has been the final straw - we'll book a holiday during the Olympics and watch from afar, safe in the knowledge that I can watch without being strip searched, eat and drink what I want to, and not get told that my shirt has a non-sponsoring logo on it.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    CD - sorry to hear your news. Rach and I are thinking of training in the Alps during the Olympics.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    CD - sorry to hear that sad news
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭

I think I may just give it all a miss and go on holiday too.  I was hoping that Box Hill might be a scene of delightful Alpe d'Huez-style anarchic camping, but if it's all going to be paying to stand behind distant barriers and getting stiffed by the National Trust, well, screw that.

I was training in the Alps last Olympics and followed it solely through the BBC blog on my phone - it was ace.  That text blog they churn out is a service of Test Match Special brilliance.

• Options

CD - sorry to hear that.

TR - I think that strides do really help, I'm trying to do them as often as possible at the moment as it seems a really easy way of increasing the time you spend running quickly.  Hope the XC race goes well, I bought my first pair of XC spikes yesterday as there are some really good deals with people selling off last years stock and I'm going to do a few XC races this winter. 

DanA - have a great time in France, sounds like you deserve a good weekend at the moment.

See HR, CW and Selbs are getting the miles in.

My legs have been suffering this week after the parkrun followed by long run weekend to the extent that I did some half mile repeats on Tuesday at about 6.20 pace which was the fastest I could go.  It seemed to do the trick though and they loosened up a lot afterwards and managed a 3.5 mile club race yesterday at 5.42 pace which is what I did the parkrun in and this was longer, a tougher course and was a hell of a lot easier so a good place to start building from over the summer.

PMJ you will be able to go under 1hr for 10 miles and B7 that was a quick 9miles.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    LJ - steady on, I'm not buying spikes I'm a one pair of running shoes dude. This one is on tracks round the local country park, so it wont be needing anything other than my usual plimmies ! 5:42s is some pretty fast running.
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭

Quite badly injured again, me, and it's the annual huge groin strain.  Couldn't even bend down enough to get my socks on this morning, so Mrs Tmap had to help me, while chortling derisively.  Had to run for a train last night and it was shockingly, all-consumingly, breathtakingly painful.

I need to find a strategy that gets me to keep doing core-strength training, and not just when it hurts.  Any suggestions?  Or do I just need to remember the glute exercises each morning?

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    CD - with you in spirit mate

Tmap - ouch; take a bit of time off or ease back perhaps

Didn't bother with applying for tickets in the end today. Just realised that there weren't any tickets that I really wanted. A lot of people are going to miss events that they wanted to watch because they have panicked bought other tickets. Lots of people who wanted the watch the athletics, now won't even see it on telly because they've overpaid for preliminary sessions of taekwondo. I'm still convinced loads of tickets will be available nearer the day when people realise that the cost of travelling to and staying in London just isn't worth it.

Watched a great race out here in Chamonix today. A 2km race with 1km of ascent. To give you an idea of how hard it is, a guy I know was running who came second in the Picnic marathon last weekend, and is a sub 3 runner. He took 54 mins. That's about 40 min/mile pace - and he was well up the field!! A superb spectator sport.
  • Options
    Tmap - with core strengthening I find that unless you do it first thing you keep putting it off until you don't do it at all.  I do 20mins 2-3 times a week now and there's not much you can do except accept that it's a necessary part of your training and just do it.  Like any habit it's hard to start but gets easier once you have. 
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Dan A wrote (see)
    Tmap - ouch; take a bit of time off or ease back perhaps.  Watched a great race out here in Chamonix today. A 2km race with 1km of ascent. To give you an idea of how hard it is, a guy I know was running who came second in the Picnic marathon last weekend, and is a sub 3 runner. He took 54 mins. That's about 40 min/mile pace - and he was well up the field!! A superb spectator sport.

I've been focusing quite hard on "easing back" for months now!  As lucky Jim says, I just need to do it.

Was in Chamonix last week and reminded that it's the Mont Blanc Marathon this weekend.  I've now decided to pretty much ditch flat marathons entirely, so I'll target that for next year.  1000m climb in 2K?  Presumably a scramble then?  Sounds like my kind of fun.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Tmap - annual in that it happens after a "down" period of run training ? the less often I run the more often I get injured !
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭

Yes.  same thing happened last year, except on the other side.  Seems to get weak when I don't train.  I need to make sure that even when I'm not running so much I still do the abs/glutes.  I also have much more pronounced down periods than most on here.