Filthyrich - sub-2:45

Abingdon - 16th October

Amsterdam - 16th October
    LS21 - 2'55ish

Snowdon - 29th October

• Options

LS21 - sorry to hear your news.

Wardi - Belated birthday wishes

Just checking in after Berlin. Ran a 3.02.51, which I was pretty chuffed with, after my severely depleted training schedule - Did not get to more than 40 miles/week and only managed 2 runs of over 20 miles...Race was as easy as they come and met Tricky Dicky along the way, which was cool. The best thing that came out the race was that I truly believe I can run under 3 hours now. I think beforehand I had this mental block, but I felt fantastic after and assuming I have a relatively smooth training, I will go all in to break 3 when I run the Tiberius marathon in Israel, on Jan 12th....

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Chicago - 9th October

Abingdon - 16th October

Amsterdam - 16th October

LS21 - 2'55ish

Snowdon - 29th October
    Gobi - ask me nearer the time :¬0

• Options

Chicago - 9th October

Abingdon - 16th October
    Jamesito - 2.32

Amsterdam - 16th October
    LS21 - 2'55ish

Snowdon - 29th October

• Options
    Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

Chicago - 9th October

Abingdon - 16th October
    Jamesito - 2.32
    Mr Boat - 2:49:59.

Amsterdam - 16th October
    LS21 - 2'55ish

Snowdon - 29th October

• Options
    Jools - cooool... ultra's scare me. Nice take on your parents too, not sentimental at all.

CharlieW - Hey Charlie - yes new job is going pretty well. I've taken a gamble and gone freelance. A mindfield of taxation and invoices and I had to hire an accountant because my head was hurting. Commute is a real bonus - I love the mini races up and down Manchester Old Road with anyone who's up for it!

LS21 - Cheers mate, although I am saddened to hear your brother is continues to be very ill.

MtR - Likewise sorry to read-back and discover your awful loss. Best wishes to you both.

Good to see a list again... I'm base building with some cross country thrown in for good measure atm, so not a lot to report on the race front.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    10.4 @ 8.xx this morning, given how bad I felt on Sunday I am quite happy with todays run which means yesterdays non run day was a good thing. Will probably take tomorrow off as well just to be sure and then try to put 4 days of running together into the weekend.

Anyone at Swindon half on Sunday ?
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Viggy - good for you, tricky who ?

Gobi - still getting by, but it taking some managing. You can afford to miss some running, but need enough impact miles...........although, you dont need telling that I'm sure.

nice to see a marathon list, I have a 1/2 this Sunday too, but that doesnt count (for list purposes) 

back to making puddles on the garage floor this morning it was reassuringly tough !

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    TR - it is very much just getting by and really listening to the body. I'm not cycling(beyond commuting) at all on my non run days to make sure the leg gets as much rest as possible.
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Jools - is your ultra run a solo affair? Or are you doing it accompanied?

Jamesito - very good chance that you could win Abo with sub 2h35 (assuming Marders doesn't show up for a recovery run). Race goes past my sisters house, so she's being tasked with photo & video duties.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Dan - saw a couple of Xempo Tshirts out at the last 2 halfs I have done including a chap in a sub 1.15 . I sometimes use it warming up.
  • Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    Getting on with the plan - nice and steady rebuild:

Yesterday: 6 mile run, 1 mile swim inc 1k in 21:25 (shows how far from Padams' swimming I am!), 15 miles on the bike.

This morning: 40 mins of core work, then bike riding to work, run at lunchtime and ride home.

Jools: Are you doing the run in one go, or over several days?
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Gobi - keep doing what you can then, and re-assess after Snowdon

MtR - good stuff

I wear my Xempo shirt on race days, to race in ! I'll be flying the brand flag on Sunday for DanA. Think I'm going to have to take DanA up on the orange (sub4) version offer and wear it to race in though, overtaking folks in a sub4 shirt kind of appeals and it isnt a lie anyway, I am sub4.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Tshirt is too bulky for me to race in :¬)
  • Options

I'm with CRAB on this in a way.  I don't expect to get in just cos I live here and it's cheap to send me (though I wouldn't say no!).  If it came down to a money thing then most would be happy to pay their own way. 

In saying that, money comes into it somewhere as I'm sure I remember something about NZ having a quota across all sports (which must come from some kind of internal funding?).  That adds a small twist in the equation because different sports are then competing for spots.  So a B standard marathoner might be up against a B standard javelin thrower who might be up against a B standard archer (assume they exist??).  If they fill most spots and have 2 left then they need to decide which 2 of the B's.

22 miles last week off 3 runs and legs are nearly ok.  Still got a niggly knee which I've had for quite a while now.  I should try to do nothing for a while but that's quite hard.  I'm at least substituting some running with spinning so hopefully will help.

Some tough personal times for people recently, hope things turn a corner for the better soon.

• Options
    Morning all.

Gobi - I may see you at Swindon, I'm in stiff negotiations with my wife, I'm currently losing. Although my popularity may raise due to taking the kids off her hands all day tomorrow.

Nice to see RJ back and a great Abo target from Jamesito.

LS21 - Sorry to hear about your Bro.

17 miles last night at a somewhat faster pace than planned due to leaving work late.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    DanA/Matt: I'm planning about 30 miles a day (Bristol to Bradford-on-Avon; B-O-A to Great Bedwyn; Great Bedwyn to Reading). I'll be running alone (and hence navigating alone, but even my poor navigational skills shouldn't be too foxed by following a canal; I sincerely hope no-one has to quote that back at me!) but my mum is coming along as my 'bag lady' so that I only have to carry water/map/sweets/phone/possibly some sort of bivvy bag if conditions look like they might be poor. Although several people were initially interested in running with me, the time of year isn't great (22-24 December).

10M at a plod-tastic 8.23m/m this morning. Now I need to go and learn the tricky bits in Brahms 3.
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    TR wrote (see)

I wear my Xempo shirt on race days, to race in ! I'll be flying the brand flag on Sunday for DanA. Think I'm going to have to take DanA up on the orange (sub4) version offer and wear it to race in though, overtaking folks in a sub4 shirt kind of appeals and it isnt a lie anyway, I am sub4.

Cut the sleeves off!

LS21 - thinking of you, fella.

I've started on my active rehab, 30 mins on the exercise bike yesterday, 90rpm on low resistance.  Hip actually felt more comfortable after the session than before, so I'm pretty happy with things just 7 days after the op.  Tonight I'm planning similar session but on the turbo, in anticipation of getting back on the bike proper for the weekend.  Post-op assessment has been confirmed for 3 weeks time, so definitely no impact stuff before then but if I can get in a good few sessions of cycling and gym work, should have more of an idea how the recovery's going.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

I like sleeves

PP - getting back to it quickly there

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Nice Jools only just slower than my morning run
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    We do vests as well. I think I might don a purple one for Abingdon (sub 3h15). Bit of sandbagging, but as usual I'm never guaranteed to break 3 hrs. Hope nobody thinks I'm the sub 3h15 pacemaker, or they might find themselves going out a bit sharpish.

Jools - just shout if you want company. Seems like a great way of getting out of doing any Christmas shopping. I'm probably going to enter the grand union canal race in May so will be doing plenty of canal running (anything up to 70 mile training runs) between now and then.

I also entered the Barcelona marathon yesterday as my main spring target.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I may take you up on that, DanA, although I'll probably be plodding at 8.30-9m/m.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

DanA can run that slowly 9m/m is MP for him !!!!

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

DanA - nice one on Barca, see you there.

Good news on some people edging away from the bench.

Not much news from me - did some XC relays (Southerns) on Saturday in about 30C, cycling on Sunday and swimming yesterday. First circuits session of the winter tonight - should be painful, particularly if I do track first!

• Options
    Lev_Lev_ ✭✭✭

I'll emerge from my recovery-induced silence. Lots to catch up on. Sorry to hear about the various injuries and good luck to all for upcoming races - looks like there are some great targets there.

I've managed to get out for some gentle jogs since Berlin last Sunday, probably about 20 miles or so in total, all pretty slow (maybe 8 min miles). Right hip flexor's still a bit achey (got a bit tight during the race but I blanked it out). I've not had problems there before so I'm hoping it will just go away. I've also found myself on the whole much more physically tired than usual, despite getting a fair amount of sleep. Is this usual?

Thanks again to all of you for your help and advice in the run up to Berlin and for your kind words afterwards. Although I had sworn it would be the only one, I have totally got the running bug and, inspired by a great chat with marders after the race, I'm definitely not going to give it up. About to move flat to around Highbury, which means Regents Canal will become a regular haunt.

And so (standard!) a couple more questions for you.

1. Great South Run

I'm running the GSR on 30 Oct. I'm going to keep training light this week but do any of you have experience of training for a 10 mile race? I'd assume it calls for more tempo and speed work and my endurance base is probably fine following Berlin (though I suppose I'll get in a couple of slightly longer runs). How soon should I take on tempo and speed work, though, without risking injury? And should I up my "tempo" pace? In my Berlin prep, I did around 3:52/km but the schedule I followed cut out tempo work about 6-7 weeks before the marathon when I was still anticipating 3 hours, not 2:51 with a 2 min negative split. Also, worth a mini taper before the race or not? Not planning any other races this year except maybe trying out some parkruns and perhaps a 10k.

2. The next marathon

It was obviously going to happen. I'm weighing up Barcelona, Rotterdam and Paris in the spring. Perhaps leaning towards Rotterdam as it's supposed to be pretty quick and won't be as crowded as Paris. Any thoughts on those 3 options though? Padams and Dan A, why did the two of you go for Barca?

Also, what do you reckon it might be worth me keeping in mind as a target? I felt pretty good during Berlin (only exception was the last 300 metres when I was sprinting pretty flat out) and the fact I kept dead on 2:53 pace until 30k and then picked up a 2 min negative split primarily between 35k and the end might indicate I could go a bit quicker. Don't want to bite off more than I can chew, obviously, but wondered what your collective wise thoughts were… (more out of curiosity than anything else).

I'll probably do 18 weeks' training rather than 15 and peak at maybe 80 or 85 instead of 75 but otherwise will follow a pretty similar plan.

Cheers as ever

Lev

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Lev

1) practice running into a coastal gale, you'll be needing it in the last 2M ! Even my kids arnt doing GSR this yr as they have other sports instead, I gave up on it in about 2006.

2) 2:45 should do it. Sporty enough to get you out the door, but certainly achievable.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

I think that Daniels pretty much lumps 10M races in with 10ks in terms of training (well, there is a 10-15k section in his book, at any rate).  They're probably on the cusp of 10k and HM training.  Certainly more of a focus on longer intervals and tempo runs, I'd say.  However, the most important thing will be a full recovery from Berlin.  Do some sharpening work after that, by all means.

I would say I'd see you there, as I'm also down to do GSR, but I suspect you will be finishing quite a bit before me.  Although sub-65 remains a target, realistically my legs will still be completely wiped out by high mileage base training/ultra training at that point!  If conditions are good (it happens about once every 5 years, so by my reckoning we're due good weather soon) I might try a bubka-pb.

• Options

Lev -- well done again. At my advanced age (41) I find that even a week after a marathon, running at moderate speed is fine, but my calves give me a sharp reminder of the race if I try and go full tilt. I'd just see what happens and back off if the legs don't feel ready. As for your next target... well, sub-2:45 will give you a championship start in London (assuming they don't change the rules). It's hard to know how quick you might be -- see how you go in shorter races to get some idea. If you try and knock too much off in one go, you might get burnt, but then you showed how you could be sensibly conservative pace-wise last time.

Hoping I keep my river commute... my company's in trouble, so I may have to move jobs in a bit. Not sure yet though, it's all up in the air. Not that I've run since last week anyway: I'm really trying to give my piriformis a break after it got worse over the weekend (went camping and I think it objected to sitting and lying on the ground). Actually it was pretty good today. I've decided not to attempt Peterborough on Sunday though, and so decided to send back the size 10 Inov8 X155s to get some 9.5s instead. (Otherwise I'd have raced in the 10s.) Incidentally, a size 10 X-155 weighed in at 190g, so I don't know what size is the claimed 155g... by contrast my ASICS Pirahanas register exactly the claimed 138g even in size 10. The X155s felt very comfy though.

Funny doing the XC in that heat Padams -- I missed the first of our local "Frostbite" league on Sun!

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    TR - 6m/m & 9m/m are both MP for me. Just depends which mile.

Lev - Padams & I both ran Barca in 2010 and a couple of others did it this year. Not just cos I PB'd there, but it's the best mara I've done for lots of reasons; and I've done a fair few city races - London, New York, Berlin, Paris, Venice, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Edinburgh. Not forgetting Luton.

Just the right size; not overcrowded but still feels like a big race. Beautiful city to visit anyway. Logistics easy with start/finish & Expo all in the same place. Flat course passing all the main landmarks. Easy public transport so great for supporters (my gf managed to see me in six places). 2h45 pace group which you don't get elsewhere (except VLM where some dodgy foreigner jogs round with a lollipop). Climate perfect in March. Beer served in 1 litre jugs. Need I go on...
  • Options
    Great to be reading about running again... I can see the old addiction coming on strong after only a few days.

I did some running tonight down at Sale. Pretty happy with a low-key efforts session consisting of 2 x 800, 2 x 1200, 2 x 800. Quite low volume at the minute but I felt the best I have for a long time and running at my 3 - 5k pace didn't feel horrendous... this off 4 hours sleep last night too.

Speaking of which... best get some sleep tonight.