Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    Watched Kona until the end so am really tired off 2hrs sleep and was at work at 7.
    That was exciting watching Chrissie and Rinny battling it out for the last 10k. Wonder what Carfrae ran the last 10k in. Both 2.52 for the mara and only 5 men quicker.
    What a race from CW though after her crash which compromised her swim/bike. Poor old Dibs, did think she hammered the bike too much.

Anyway one IM is child's play when MT did his DIM the other day. Won't spoil it before he posts though.

1st Surrey league xc yesterday, had a few weaker runners in our last scorers so probably lost a lot of points but lucky to have the full 10. Felt tired before race but after 1st lap got into it and had a good run in the end. Saw CD there.
    Was still deliberating about Ballbuster but there are a lot of names down already so may have to enter before it fills. Wasn't sure if I'd be fit enough for it.
    Padams - I have used a tri bike for this and climb better on that, up box hill than my roadie. You could run with the lead group for 1st run quite comfortably.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

I was watching Kona - I was massively impressed by Alexander this yr after the cyclists ganged up on him last yr, Pete Jacobs had a blinder too.

MT put in a massive performance in his DIM, cracking result.

I did the Solent 1/2 mara in the NF today, thought I might be able to bag something in the low 1:2Xs, but wasnt sure how much the recent 5:17 and the lack of recent running miles would affect those hopes. Found it quite tough into the wind at times on the exposed NF roads, the first 3 or 4M was into the wind but I was on about 1:23 pace and then pushed on a bit too hard when it turned out of the wind , cos I ran out of beans and tailed off a bit in the last 2M which was a bit of a long drag. Ended up with a 1:23, so not too shabby. Savaloy (who bagged an awesome 9:13 at Kona y'day) says sometimes you should find out what you cant do and today I did.
    Need to bag soem winter running miles to ensure I get another 2:5X in 6 months time.

• Options
    JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    A good day in the Forest then TR. Bit windy for good times. Speaking to a guy who lives pretty much near the hill you run on and he says he uses it a lot for running and biking. Wonder how Tom Lowe felt having his girlfriend beat him on the run yesterday.
  • Options
    Cross country for me yesterday as well.... Kent League.
    First couple of laps were fine but when I came to push on for the last lap the hamstring was a bit grumpy so gave it the benefit of the doubt. Over 41 for the 10k on what is a pretty flat course so a bit disappointed but the hour steady this morning went well so did no damage done.... Looks like some strength work for the next couple of weekends as got Dartmoor Vale half but not racing it and then Beachy Head.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jh1 - it gives me a base line I suppose. Who is that fella, does he still live round here ? Tom still beat CW home though its not all about the run leg time, its who gets to the finish the quickest. He cam 11th with his carp swimming.  I expect that Carfraes bf got chicked on the run too.
    Savaloy had a very good day, especially being a pasty ginger !
  • Options
    JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    His name is Neil, do you know him? ;o)
    He was at my work swimming champs the other day. Better swimmer than me. He does tris as well. Feel done in after the late night Kona watching. I heard Sav had a lot of sun cream on. Cat Morrison must be a bit burnt today too.
  • Options

Busy weekend for me.  A trot round the parkrun with the kids saturday morning, ride over to lightwater for the league XC, arrive with 10 minutes to spare.  The race itself went OK, a steady start for me which wasn't surprising, expletives when the first steep downhill got a bit tasty, and quite happy to finish 2nd club scorer and a place behind JH1.  Nice marshalling from JAP too.

This morning was a late decision to run the Badger Half - it's local, organised by fellow forumites and a reputation as a good event.  Also it's hilly so no hangups about time - I was fully expecting it to be a bit of a struggle.  As it turned out it went better than that - I felt good after the first two flat miles in 10:50, the only flat miles until they're repeated on the way back.  I was on my own and didn't see anyone in front after 3 miles, at halfway they were apparently 3 minutes ahead and it stayed that way.  The course is a good one, some hilly without being ridiculous and over half is off-road.  Given I never run terribly well on that sort of ground I was happy to finish in the middle of a 7 minute gap between 3rd & 5th.  The guy in third was 4 minutes ahead and has a HM pb 3 minutes better than mine so a good day out considering. 

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Followed the Ironman until I went to bed, went to bed so I could get up this morning for the rugby.

TR - Nice effort this morning, gets you a baseline for sure.

Here is my report from the Swindon Half, sorry about the blatant cut and paste

5.5 miles WU half marathon at marathon effort in 1.24 and a 1.5 mile CD. Good news was no cramp but my legs felt tired today so feel concerned about the following

1. my obvious lack of pace
    2. my legs breaking down due to fatigue
    3. Concerned right now with how tired they feel.

Beyond the issues it is obvious I can run a marathon so I will be going to Snowdon on the 29th probably still looking at sub 3 effort but if it goes wrong I will just have a jog.

I have also been blogging again www.gobi70.wordpress.com
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Nice HM, TR. By the sounds of it, the weather's a bit too windy for fast running anywhere in the UK today!
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    The wind was indeed nasty
  • Options

TR, Gobi and CD nice HMs, it's been windy today so not a good one for fast times.

I joined the other XCers yesterday for my first XC race which came a bit early in my return to running so I just ran it steady, kept the same pace over the 3 laps, including running through this mental field that had all these ancient burial mounds in so it was all sharp ups and downs.  Really enjoyed it, friendly atmosphere and I'm looking forward to being a bit fitter for the next one and having a proper race.  Think I judged it right as my legs felt good this morning and I got in 18m to bring up 66 for the week.  Same same for this week now...

• Options
    Hi people I managed to get the 10k pb from 36.54 to 34:51 yes 34:51 today at the flintshire 10k. So well happy with that result, especially as I wasn't sure I'd manage 75 min half marathon pace next month at the conwy half, so I now have the confidence to try and get a championship place. Love it. 3rd place as well.
  • Options

Nice HMs considering wind/hills/issues TR, Cheerful Dave and Gobi

Nice 10k PB AtD

Room for one more on the champs start?  image

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Well done to the XCers, never appears on my radar being unattached harriers 

JH1 - no Neils, the fastest swimmer I've seen round here is called Colin !

CD - a good weekend there

Gobi - still managing it, but do you think you can do the full 26.2 ?

FR - glad you found a pair in time. What time did you do ?

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    TR - If I can get to 20 I can jog to 26, MAYBE!!!!!!
  • Options

TR - unofficial 2:44:41. Will be interested to see the splits, was a weird race pacing wise but seemed to work out OK. Very good course, excellent support, very enjoyable run.

Hoping that will be the first of many marathon targets achieved on this thread over the next few weeks.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Yay, well done FR. See you near the posh-ish bogs next April image
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
  • Options

Well the weekend looks to have been very fruitful for most.

FR well done on great marathon time

Plum I have a slight hamstring problem as well. I have started to more stretching to ease it before and after running.

Wardi  I'm just starting to build up my endurance before starting 24 week VLM training plan. I will be using the Pitzfinger plan which i have used before.

Good Half Marathons from Gobi, TR and CD 

Nice PB from AtD in the 10k

Lots of good xc racing as well which reminds me just looked at results from my race and I was first in my age group so top the table with 5 pointsimage see if i'm still there after all 4!

• Options
    Just thought i'd duck in to say nice to meet you Dan A at the end of Liverpool marathon today. I will buy one of your t shirts but not until I qualify for a gold one! I was a long way off today that's for sure! Best of luck at Abo next week - it's a bit flat for you though isn't it?!?!

Nice one TR on the race today.
  • Options

Tiger - where did you find the 24 wk training plan, i bought Advanced marathoning (second edition) but cant seem to find it or is in the first edition? thanks

• Options
    Ooooh FR top result. image

AtD not a shabby 10k either. I did a 2:39 marathon last year (and today incidentally) and two weeks later bagged a 34:49 10k. Sub 75 should be a very attainable for you providing conditions are good.
  • Options

Gobi - if you're 'just jogging' the bit after Waunfawr you'll be having a great race...all the best - defo my favourite mara (but I haven't done that many)

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Gobi - doesnt sound ideal !

FR - well done anyway, I was worried about you y'day, I thought the wibbles were going to get the better of you.

RJ - tough day out for you today, you're getting closer to the pointy end which makes improvement a bit hard to find on tough days. The best you can be on the day always has to be the aim.

I officially bagged a 1:23:42 today which means I lost about a minute in the last 2M, I thought I was struggling a bit by then ! Dont know how much of that was pushing too hard into the wind early doors or because of the 5:17 2 weeks ago, but it gives me a time to beat in 6ish weeks at Downton which should be a similar course. 75M/month over the summer has seen my running fitness drain away, its no surprise that I run well at the Swash so soon after VLM................but I did manage to get my correct club name into the official results for the first time (they usually edit it out)....little things please little minds !

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    TR - safe to say I have been better prepared for races. Official time was 1.23.58
  • Options
    Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

TR, CD,  Gobi nice HMs in not ideal conditions for quick times. I did an out and back 10K on the seafront today at Bournemouth and it was fairly hard work running back into it.

Great time FR; nothing to worry about after all.

Going to bed early now due to trying a proper carb depletion this time. Keep going back to the kitchen to check labels for low carb snacks of which I have none. Had a steak with onions and asparagus earlier and I'm still feeling hungry.....3 more days of this! Any tips? At least if I go to sleep I won't feel hungry 'til the morning.

....oh yea...AtD: great result. Got to be a champs start for you.

• Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Firstly massive congrats to FR - really chuffed for you! Top run from RJ too. Tough conditions yesterday.

Nice Halfs from TR and Gobi too, and some great XC-ing from various folk. Quite a tasty 10k from atd too - bodes well for a sub-75.

Well after much deliberation I've shelved 'racing' it at Amsterdam next week. Other far more important stuff has taken over a bit in the last 2 weeks. I feel totally drained emotionally and am not sleeping much. So I've binned it. Plan is to run round with a friend who I've been helping a bit with training and such like. It's his first one, and we're aiming for 3'40ish so it'll be good to try and help him.

I don't really know how things will be for a while so I've effectively written this year off now. I needed a proper break anyway, so I'm just going to do lots of very slow, pressure-free running. I feel much better in myself having decided now too. Went out Fri and Sat for a plod (9'00+ plod!) and really enjoyed it. So mojo returning and I'm just going to recover properly and then go again in the New Year.
    Am now very much looking forward to my Amsterdam trip, whereas I really didn't want to go this time last week. Life stuff has dictated a bit this time, but I don't think 2 Maras in a year is the way forward for me so lesson learnt for next time.
  • Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    FR: Muchly congratulations - nicely judged. I did try and see how I could track you online, but failed.

TR: Looks like you could have kept up with Gobi then image. Nice half in this stage of your training. I think a fade in the last couple is allowed now, but wouldn't be in Feb/March.

Gobi: I suspect you could do with a rest - didn't your leg person say that you tore some leg muscles?

CD: Nice position, what was the time?

AtD: Very nice.

LS21: Snap. I've been out a few times this week, and slow running is where it's at. I just don't have the desire to push hard right now.

XCites: Well done to all of you. I missed the first met league this weekend (and last Tuesday night) due to family stuff.

A did manage a reasonable week of training in my plan:

Running: 5 runs of from 5-7 miles each
    Cycling: 8 6-7 mile rides to/from work, 40 miles yesterday in 2:20.
    Swimming: 2 swims, 1k and 1.5k
    Core: 2x 30 min sessions

All easy stuff (running from 7:30 - 8:30mm), but I enjoyed every session, except when I tried to run fast one day and lasted one mile @ 6:30.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    MtR - you are correct I need 3 weeks off to repair.
    LS - enjoying the trip sounds smart

Took this morning off as I continue to back off.