Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Nice to see MtR and LS21 easing back into it

Gobi - very wise

MtR - it appears that I've only run a few 10s and a 12 in training in the last couple of months as long runs, so I was probably writing cheques I was never going to cash y'day. Good blow-out though and you dont know what you cant do until you try, and there's nothing like a race to tell you a few home truths,  I need to start bagging some running miles again. SL is going to kick my backside hard at Downton !

• Options

MtR, it was 1:21 for the record, although it's hard to say what was par for the course.  The hills and the off-road stuff finished at the 10 mile point at 1:03, so a decent enough finish.

Racejase, Liverpool, eh?  My clubmate chased you home, he ran 1:19/1:20 so very good for what I think was his first marathon.  I guess you were running on your own most of the way, a tad different to London.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Good job done in the circs, TR - I know you don't reach for the basket labelled "excuses", but the fact is, high winds, particularly, as you say, on exposed parts of the course, don't help. 
  • Options
    CD indeed it was Liverpool. Your clubmate was catching me big style and had the race been an extra 400m he would defo have caught me. Really good debut from him, it was a pretty tough course. I didn't have a great day and was overcooking it from early doors hence a 1:16/1:23 split. Classy. Really struggled to hold my pace 20-24 but managed to muster a couple of sub 6s at the end to hold your mate off. I actually did have company for the first 17 ish miles so wasn't too bad. It was a good race by the way and would recommend it although I suspect it'll never be quick even in less breezy conditions. There's just too many bumps. image
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Birch – I reckon I got out what my training deserved.

Come on MT – post up a report !
  • Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    Not a great start to the week. Some twunt in a white van turned left on me across a bus lane - without signalling - heading for a parking space. I hit him. I'm OK I think, some blood on the right leg and bruises on both knees. However the bike needs a new fork and the front wheel got dinged. White Van man gave me £50 on the spot, which is much better than a kick in the teeth - but...

Had to walk 3 miles home with the broken bike. Legs hurt a bit.

Given the frame a good looking over, think it's OK - fingers crossed.

New fork is £99 - damn carbon fibre. Wheel might be OK, 3 broken spokes, but rim seems fine.
  • Options

FilthyRich - top run, glad you managed it and just imagine what you can do next time if you're niggle free.

MtR - sorry to hear about the crash, especially when you're enjoying training again.

LS21 - good to hear you've got a plan and you can enjoy the Dam too, apparently it's quite a fun place without any running...

RJ - well done at Liverpool, should still be encouraging to match your time in a slower race on a slower day, bodes well for next time.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

MtR – that’s a pisser, good job you weren’t hurt badly. If you struggle to get the spokes ordered put up a post, PX told me which ones to get when they had no spares in stock, and I got some from somewhere else.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Ouch, Matt, that sounds like a painful start to the day.  I'd have been livid!  Hope the bike repair gets done quickly and that you get away with minor bruising.
  • Options

CD -- good outing in your half.
    Gobi -- your 5.5M warm-up means you were at nearly 19M when you finished -- I'd expect my HM to be somewhat compromised by that!
    TR -- good one in the wind
    atd -- that's a huge chunk off your PB, well done.
    MtR -- nightmare -- glad it wasn't worse.
    FR -- tremendous! See you at the blue start on 23 April, assuming I'm fit by then...

My piriformis doesn't hurt any more, and I ran 3M yesterday at ~7 min/M without disaster. But I think the sciatic nerve is still recovering, because my leg still feels a bit clompy and unresponsive, and my shin muscle can't lift my foot strongly, which I think is making my foot land oddly and get sore underneath. And the leg felt a bit cranky after cycling to work today too (when I allowed that leg to develop some power, unlike last week).  I'm doing loads of exercises and stretches, and still hope I'll be on for the Norwich HM on 27 Nov at least. (Needless to say I binned out of the Peterborough Gt East Run yesterday.)

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    CW - at the pace I was running I would not :¬0
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

LS21.. sorry to hear you still have tough times in the family.  Good decision to take it easy for a bit.

Crikey MTR, a painful & expensive outcome. Walking home doesn't sound fun either!  I thank my lucky stars that my bike commute route is quiet and pretty safe.

Nice half-m's from TR, Gobi & CD.  Congrats too to all the XC'ers.. Plum, CD, TMap, LJ & Tigerrunner.

Atd.. a 2 minute 10k PB is very impressive!  Best of luck with the sub 75 attempt - my clubmate has a 34:25 PB & ran 75:05 at the Brass Monkey this year, he was gutted!

FR.. I knew you'd have a good day!  Many congrats & padded bogroll to look forward to on the champs start. image 

RJ.. that's a good marathon on a windy day!  Are you doing VLM next year?

10m run home from marshalling the Bramham Park 10k  yesterday.  Weird weather, windy with squally showers but very warm, sweating buckets by the time I got home.  The race was started by olympic hopeful Richard Strachan who also gave out medals/goody bags and signed autographs.  Nice of him to show up.  Planning to run home from work tonight so that will be another 13m in the bank.

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

MtR - that's annoying, but sounds like you came off OK considering. I don't understand why white van drivers are so rubbish - I drove one for a few weeks and I don't think I started driving like they do!

Some good performances at the weekend, but a special mention to AtD on a big PB and FR on the 2:44.

Stag do in Glasgow for me, so not much training over the weekend, although I managed to squeeze in about 75 mins along the Clyde (in the wind and rain...) on Sunday morning.

• Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    TR: Replacement bike fork is on order for delivery tomorrow. I'll then have to go to the LBS to fit it (the one job I can't do at home without a headset press to get the headset bearings on square) and repair the wheel. They can ID the spokes easily enough I think but thanks.
  • Options
    JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭

Glad you're OK Matt. Better the bike is broken than you.

Tough racing RJ and not as many around as in London.

Saw the Chicago mara was won by a Russian lady in 2.18.20 and getting closer to Radcliffe's downgraded world record. That is fast and I'll have whatever she is on. Also Claire Hallisey looks like she has put herself in the mix for Olympics with a sub 2.30. Only Pavey and Radcliffe faster I think.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

MtR - hope it gets fixed ok then

Just done 30min swimming drills, my legs feel like king kong has been squeezing them.

Entries are open for the New Forest smackdown next Sept. I need to get clearance from the SPO, cos its her b'day, but I already have a sign saying 5:10 pinned on the garage door ! 

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    JH1: Claire is pride of place on the B&W blog.  I like the fact that the report ends by congratulating her on a club record!  Never mind 13th on the UK all-time list...
  • Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    TR: Nice one. I have an email from them saying they'll add me to the list after having to withdraw this year. Plan at the moment is for a summer of Olympic distance triathlon after the marathon.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    MtR - you'll have to keep an eye on the start list to make sure they put your name on it then. I'm not sure what I'l do early summer as the Swash is too close to VLM and  theres another 1/2 IM early June but I think that will clash with a cricket festival. That leaves me with the Boskman or Forestman at the end of June.
  • Options
    JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    There's the Cowman in July TR, which I'm planning to do. It's the National Middle Distance champs.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    JH1 - National Champs for me ? get real dude, imagine me taking the grifter to that !
  • Options
    JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    I'll lend you my penny farthing.
  • Options
    JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    Ballbuster nearly full TR and I have just entered. Wanted to leave it as feeling knackered at the moment. 1st time it's selling out this early.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

JH1 – I saw it was nearly full. I’ve spent my NADbuster entry fee many times over this month on the various winter training sessions my little lad has, which takes him up til Easter. On top of the two courses I was expecting he has been offered a place at an academy someone else runs at the Rose Bowl once a week with some of the County players and I couldn’t say no to that. So I’m out unfortunately. I need to find my entry fee for next Sept by Christmas now.

• Options

That's a shame TR, but at least we're guaranteed decent weather now.  Cowman's a good race, don't be put off by the 'Nat Champs' tag, they just pick a decent middle distance race for that, there'll be plenty of grifters in transition.

Cricket's not cheap, is it?

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I am also missing BallBuster as have done no cycling for a number of weeks to try and give my leg a chance to recover.

10.4 miles of easy running today.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

CD – ha ha, at least it wont rain now, so you can all thank me for that. Cricket nets get expensive cos you book a block of approx 10 sessions in a course, if you then add the time of decent coaches/pro’s the cost goes up more. If he gets in the S E Hants squad again (trial was Saturday, I find out next week), then I’ve paid for 3x10week courses/squad sessions in October alone and that’s well over budget for one month………but I’d have been dead chuffed to train at the Rose Bowl with some of the County adult players/coaches when I was 10 ! If he ever makes the full County squad I’ll be facing becoming bankrupt !

Gobi – still getting by then.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    TR - yes getting by, first mile was a little ugly but after that it was ok. Keeping the pace slow.
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

TR - you'd have thought once they get to a reasonably high level there is some sort of central funding....

Shame you won't be at Nadbuster, but looks like there will be a few of us. Hopefully it will fill up before the really fast guys realise!

One of the toughest swim sessions last night, purely because there were 3 people there who were pushing the pace i.e. dropping me quite easily. A 400 rep was meant to be "medium pace" (whatever that means) - I did 5:33 (PB I think) and was not keeping up. Then a couple of 200s in close to 2:40, the other 3 were well ahead so must have been in the low 2:30s. Good training though!

• Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    Rode to work this morning on the old bike - now a bit knackered after my son's been riding it for the last 6 months. Feel a bit bruised and battered - as if I'd run a half-marathon on Sunday. Will try a little jog at lunchtime - right knee is a bit sore, but I think it'll be fine.