Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
  • Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭

I've been shit at running since turning 45.

Not that I was that good before that of course...

• Options
    Wish I was as shit as you Gobi & MtR

Read once that it wasn't age...but just that it was v difficult to be training hard / running 'well' / improving / doing pbs for more than 7 years... (some exceptions on here, no doubt)
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Hmm, I'm pretty sure things haven't gone to plan for me since turning 30. Screwed!
  • Options
    Become a bit of a stud V40 image  Did abit of modelling for a well known time graded running top -;) Won first ever race ! in fact '4' in a few months ! image and got a hot bird 12 years younger !   Next I'm thinking of a comb over image There is hope ! image 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

well done SammyChung - you should have joined in though, I like joining in others sub3 journeys.

Gobi - you are past it dude ! ha ha ! you had best factor in more RnR and cut the training down a bit to manage your old age !

I didnt start til I was 40, so I'm still a young thruster !

• Options
    Jock Itch wrote (see)
    Become a bit of a stud V40 image  Did abit of modelling for a well known time graded running top -;) Won first ever race ! in fact '4' in a few months ! image and got a hot bird 12 years younger !   Next I'm thinking of a comb over image There is hope ! image 
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    rest day tomorrow then :¬)
  • Options
    Gobi- I'll be posting on this thread over the next few months. Just need to get had down really now to keep going through the winter consistently training at this new 70mpw level. Endurance is my biggest weakness you see.

Ching- your HM PB of 76:xx is considerably faster than mine the best I managed was 79:44 on a with two tight calfs, general tiredness a really hilly course( macclesfeild) so hopefully with a proper rest week, a good course (conwy half) and some sensible pacing this 75mins should be doable. I hope anyway.
  • Options
    TR wrote (see)

well done SammyChung - you should have joined in though, I like joining in others sub3 journeys.

A reminder to me that even though I may be rubbish at the moment it's still worth posting and it'll make sub-3 all the sweeter.  Currently trying to get myself somewhere close to PB shape for the Gosport half - touch and go at the moment but it'll be a lot better than the 1:35 I posted at Chippenham so progress at least..  Had hoped to pick up at 10 mile PB at Weymouth on Saturday but it looks like I'll be babysitting as my wife traipses around bell towers.  Can't complain but am a bit disappointed as I thought it would be a good indicator for the half and it's a pretty soft PB that requires updating.

I said it elsewhere but it bears repeating that Mr. B pulled off an excellent campaign.  I saw some of the mistakes up close at VLM and egged him on in at least one.  It's great to see somebody look at their campaign, work out what needed to change and then implemented those changes.  Mr B. did it beautifully.

Congrats to many others too.  MT's double is ridiculous - can't believe you actually started racing somebody midway through the cycle. JI's outstanding blog and a decent run too!  Jamesito's understated 3rd.  Dan A's very nicely controlled sub-3. I got the impression from your UTMB race report that the fast start did you in.  However painful it was does that have implications for other races such as this one? Nice to see Wardi back off the bench.  Joolska is knocking out some serious miles at the moment.  Any plans to build on it and bag that sub-3 in the spring?  You should have a very impressive base.  Relieved in many ways to hear that RS78 is on the men.  Your control and persistence is impressive.  HR - sorry to hear your news - does it help that you managed to give London a real go and do yourself some justice? A very nice run from FR in Chicago - I only seem to hear of people crashing and burning there - you held it together very nicely.  There have been many other stellar performances - particularly at the cabbage patch 10 but it's possible to go too far back so I'll stop here.

I'll be more of a lurker than a poster for the next while but TR's post reminded me that there can be some value in posts from those of us who are a little further away from the goal of the thread than they would like.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    No running for me today as I am past it but I do get the joys of Body Balance :`0

AtD - have you actually had a break before starting your 70 mile a week crusade?
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

SammyChung - well done on breaking the barrier. Good to see new people joining the thread!

Big training night for me last night after a rest day yesterday (swimming only). 40 mins spinning at the gym, immediately followed by track session, then straight to circuits. Legs aren't actually feeling too bad this morning surprisingly!

Track was 5x400 followed by 3x1600. 400s were around 69, with about 45s recovery. First lap of the first 1600 was around 71 (!), which then settled down and completed the rep in 4:54 (don't think I've ever done one under 5 before). 2:30 recovery, then next rep was 4:57 (I led this one as the group was thinning a bit!). Calves were getting tight at that point so I just did the first 800 of the next in 2:27 (pacemaking for the final guy left who did 4:55).

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Clearly – indeed stick around, but I guess some folks don’t want the public pressure eg MrB’s Abo campaign. I turned up here with a VLM ballot place having never run more than 10M and thought I’d have a crack at sub3, folks took me seriously, were very patient with me and gave me lots of time. I try and help other sub3 hopefuls a bit now if I can, I’m genuinely chuffed for them when they get there.
    I would have been up for Gosport but I'm doing Downton the week after and I'd rather run round the New Forest any day.

Padams - top cross training there. I call swimming only days rest days too !

Bit parky out this morning, I was underdressed in long sleeves and thin gloves !

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Morning All,

Tigerrunner/TR, Thanks! My first Abo (really impressed with everything - venue, course, organisation, marshalling. Superb event), first V50 sub-3 too.
    Good luck with your sub 2:50 attempt, I'm not so sure I'm capable of that but I am confident I can pb (2:54 at London 2009).

MtR, Tried to keep Abo off the radar, as the training was rushed to some extent, and wasn't sure what to expect. Yes I will be calling on the Queen come April, and hoping to build on that, and I still think I can go close to 2:50, with the right preparation.
    Hope you have recovered from your tumble, and there is no lasting effect (especially on your back).

Wardi, sad news - condolences re: your clubmate.

I'm going back a bit now but wasn't Gold Rush a coffin dodger?
    Think he did sub-3 at 50?

Some of you (older) guys feeling sorry for yourself?
    The M50 winner at Abo was 5th in the race, and did 2:43:18.

• Options

I don't post as much as I used to but I love reading and lurking.

Some great running from folks over the weekend. Well impressed with Brian's run as well as MrB/Jamesito & Dan's sensible race???

A very rare full house for me yesterday (prob only done 3 in my life) 28m steed commute, 5m@ 6.55's at lunch and then 700m drowning after work. I'm still pony at swimming!

Was indeed cold this morning, gloves and long sleeves were fine image

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

BrianGold Rush wasn’t that old. He’s not 50 yet. See you in April !

Ode – good work on the swimming, only another 1200m needed by Sept !

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Oooops! Hope he doesn't still lurk!!!

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Brian - and that Ed Whitlock guy did 3:15 at Toronto at the weekend aged 80!

Gold Rush was certainly a V40 when I paced him (and Nick the Stick) at Abingdon in 2009 and he missed the Champs time by 12 seconds. Think he is probably still V40.

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Wow! That's unbelievable!!

Certainly proves there's (lots of) time for us all.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Gold Rush is about 2 yrs older than me, and I'm 44.

not bad for an old fella

• Options

Wardi and TR - thanks for the answers about the luco stops.

SammyChung - well done on the sub-3.

Clearly - keep going, we will all be pleased for you when you get it.

It was indeed parky out this morning, I wished I was wearing more than shorts and t-shirt and could hardly move my fingers when I finished my run.  Still, was beautiful and sunny and I got in 13m at a leisurely pace to back up last night's run.  Did 11m last night, 1.5m on my own to warm up before the 8m club loop which I was hoping to do somewhere between 7.30-8mm.  Just as I got back from my warm up I bumped into one of the quicker guys who said run with him and he'd obviously had his weetabix as he set off at 6mm pace and kept going for the whole loop.  I then did 1.5m on my own to finish so a solid running day.

• Options
    Gobi- I had a 20mile week (really easy pace) finishing on the 9th october, okay it was 3rd in flintshire 10k, but did have a complete rest day on the monday. I'm finding it a real learning curve these days with taking it seriously. And ironically the emphasis on recovery and or recovery running (8-9min pace) the better I feel strenth wise anyway. Also the effort reqiured to do the miles does seem to be getting easier thankfully image although most of my running is hilly because I I just dont.get the same buzz of flat running generally.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Blimey we are OLD in here

AtD - just be careful the end of season break is mental as much as physical.
  • Options

On the subject of end of season breaks, ive found having abit of time off if anything has disrupted my rhythm and ive felt more niggles subsequent to that....ive started to reach the conclusion the best recovery for me at least is just easy miles....as for mental breaks, anytime off feels like a further delay between catching the guys ahead/achieving the times needed... How many guys here take total time off at the end of racing season? Obviously post marathon a week off makes sense, but what about after an intensive period of shorter races?

Adt - 79.44 to sub 75 is quite a big leap, i dont want to doubt your progress and obviously you know your own training and what its reflecting....but sub 75 at half marathon is probably the equivalent of 34 mins flat at 10km. No doubt you'll get there, but does seem a very aggressive target for conwy....do you plan to just go out at that pace and hold on for as long as possible?

• Options

Thanks for the welcome , hopefully I hang around and post a bit more esp, in the build up to VLM and build on my progress but for now its all about recovery, cycle commute for a few days to get the legs moving again and probably won’t run till next week. Its always strange where pains pops up after a big effort –for me this time was right quad and left calf- bit lopsided?

• Options
    All runners are old Gobs ! 63 of the top 100 runners at Abingdon were Over 40 !  Very concerned by this stat in what is fast becoming a sport for old men it seems.
  • Options
    Gobi-as it happens I had 4 weeks of in july. Due to a stupid foot Injury caused my pure inexperience on the recovery principle. Basically 7day weeks are a bad idea. Lesson learned there. Missed the chester marathon aswell probably would of got a 2:54 2:55or something as well at chester.
  • Options

I always take it very easy for a month after a marathon. Just gentle running no more than 2 or 3 miles at very easy pace. I probably only run twice a week. One of those will be club night where I'll run with the newbies or slow runners who enjoy my company and I there's.

As I get older I do find it a little harder to get back into training but after a few weeks it sorts its self out.

Tonight is club night so it's a toss up between running a slowly 2.5 miles to a local 5k race and back or medium long run of about 12 miles.

I think it will be the 12 miler as I want to maintain my weekly mileage and medium long runs as I have my first benchmark race at the end of the month being the Worksop Half marathon. We usually have a good club turn out at this race and the competition between my training mates is getting quite hot image

• Options

Afternoon all

Mr B, yes I will be at VLM, I got my GFA last year, I look forward to meeting a few off here at the start and in the pub, will be good to meet people in person as still feel like a bit of a stranger on here at times.

CW - yes my first sub 3, am still smiling.

RS - about time I got one over on a Geordie, not likely to happen any time soon on the pitch though.  You would have flown around this year, conditions were absolutely perfect with last years slight wind being downgraded to a cooling breeze.  Glad you are getting back to it, I admire your patience.

Dan A, congrats on a great run so soon after your ultra - yes I will be shopping with you soon, will be very happy to replace my purple top with a nice red one.

HR sorry to hear about you diagnosis, hope the op goes well.

Welcome to the newbies, its well worth sticking around as you will learn a great deal.  For example at the start of my recent run in the Dam, due to the tight start at the Olympic stadium and its being fairly crowded I found it really difficult to find any rhythm.  At 5ks I found myself 40 seconds down on where I should have been and the effort level seemed to high.  I recalled FR had had a similar start in Chicago and pulled it together so that stopped my panicking, so just kept at it and found that the pace increased and the effort went down - to an experienced runner it may seem obvious but for a relative novice that story from FR was invaluable. 

Off on a family holiday to Florida for 2 weeks on Saturday so will start thinking about targets for VLM after that.

• Options
    Ching- your right to be curious. I know its an ambitious target but I'm really up for trying to achieve that time now. On the day I was planning on setting of at bang on target pace (5:43mpm) then limiting my losses going up the great orme and making it up on the decent if possible then hang on for dear life basically image