Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Which means for 6:30 to be a valid MP I should be looking at ~6:10m/m or to put it another way, sub 1:21...... I think that's quite doable fresh. The course is described as undulating, but from looking at the elevation profile it's not a patch on the half I done a while back, though also not as flat as some of the others I've done. Should still give a good indication though.....

I'd agree TR. I think Nugent is way overpriced.
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    TR, if you can do a 1:23 and not do a sub 3, forget the fast work, and just get out there and get the miles in and when you have done those, do some more...
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    CRAB - they are all running photos, to be fair... I was getting a bit weirded out by the mug shot, so went for a racing photo but then took against it. Think I'll stick with the focus on left knee/shoulder/back of head for a while now.

TippTop - agree (although they may be words which come back to haunt me) that the course doesn't look too bad (there's certainly a nice steep downhill to test the quads!). Current mara PB pace is 7.10 so will go for 7 m/m and see how it feels. Can always pick the pace up at 1/2 way if I'm feeling good.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Flipper/MT

sorry about that I was on nights and misread the post.

TT

I have no idea about MP to HMP I ran 2.51 with a half mara PB of around 1.28. I have since run a rather easy 1.23 the day after a 45 mile race and think my 50km pace is about 6.18 now. I will try to run close to 75 at GER in October.

Big ask but I feel confident I can go sub 78 for sure.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    "I ran 2.51 with a half mara PB of around 1.28"

Err, that's faster than HMP...??? How far apart were the two races?
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    TT
    I’m not sure Nugent is over-priced (FFS Kieran Richardson sold for £5.5 million) he’s a decent young player with a good all-round game. But he may not be a scorer of lots of Goals. Pompey already have Benjani who works his socks off for the team.
    Gary Lineker, Michael Owen and even Ruud were/are poor all-round players but they knew where the back of the net was.

CM
    Not saying I can do a 1h 23m. Just that I “thought” I would at Gosport in November. That was the Tergat anyway.
    Miles it is then. My guru was only recently telling me that I need to get the 20’s going again ASAP, the last one was in March. The furthest I have run since then is 12 ish.
    But that will be bettered this week. Adding a mile or 2 each week.

I would like to end this year (which has been nothing short of arse in running terms) with something that I can type into a performance predictor. And it hopefully predict something beginning with a 2.

• Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    jb, I'm guessing so far apart as to not be at all relevant... Almost as irrelevant as Crab's 1:26 1/2m pb and his 2:48 marathon..
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    it was over a year :¬)
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Won't be long before CRAB reminds us that he ran a 2.48 marathon off a 1.26 HM PB.

Although my last HM before my 2.52 & 2.58 last autumn was in fact the Burnham Beeches half, where I recorded a somewhat embarassing 1.27

So, shall I put the remainder of my Betfair bank on Man Utd tonight? It was decimated last night by backing Spurs. Those ***** always cost me when I back them; when will I ever learn???
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    The point I was making was that I have no idea about certain paces as they are over distances I never run fresh.

GER in October will be a small effort to put that right(minin taper planned) with the only issue being recovery + some speed training after my 100km BUT I do feel I shall finally post a half PB worthy of the thread.
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Great minds CM...
  • Options
    Dan A/CM Roflol cos I nearly added it to my previous post but thought it was wearing a bit thin now. Seems there's still some mileage in it then. We could upgrade it and take my Oct06 2:48 and my Apr07 1:29 if you feel the 1:26 is getting a little long in the tooth? Well you decide cos that's the only two halves you've got to chose from ;o)

As you were.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I’m very impressed with the “I’m so slow at a ½ but still run sub 2h 50m” comments (esp. DanA and CRAB).

But it won’t stop me fishing for a time I can use as a predictor. Because I really don’t think that my 1h 26m (one and only ½ time) will translate to a 2h 48m for me next April.

But if it does then WTF – I’ll join in with you both.
  • Options
    Just to square the circle for you guys, I ran a HM PB of 1:20 less than 2 months before my Marafun PB of 3:03. Stick that in you're predictor!
  • Options
    you're = your

too much time away from the thread leads to bad typing
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Jools - particularly as it's a 2 lapper, if you're feeling good you'll know what you've got ahead of you....

TR - Kieran Richardson - not a bad player but a complete to$$er from what I've seen of him over the years. Best piece of business we done in a long while getting that much for him. Surprised Keano took him though......

Some of those 1/2 - full comparisons are a bit skewed guys. Anybody have a 'normal' comparison or is there nobody who manages to make the predictions across the range of distances?
  • Options
    TR - Don't use a 10m race as a predictor. My 59min 10m equated to a 3.16 6 weeks later. Put that in Geewok's predictor as well!
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    Crab, how about we take your most recent marathon and most recent half, so thats a 3:55 and a 1:29.. At least its on the right side of the extrapolation ;0)
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Well, that's 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

Current PBs:
    10K = 40.08 (Dorney, June 2007)
    Half = 1.27.31 (Bath, March 2007)
    Full = 3.07.32 (London, April 2007)

McMillan says that my 10K predicts 1.29.18 and 3.08.21; my half predicts 39.20 and 3.04.34; my full predicts 39.58 and 1.28.55

Running for fitness (average prediction) says that my 10K predicts 1.27.56 and 3.03.12; my half predicts 39.57 and 3.02.21; my full predicts 41.06 and 1.30.01.

From that I think I can only conclude that conditions at Bath were near perfect, Dorney was too wet and cold (and I'm not a shorter distance speed merchant) and London was a little bit too hot. Aren't race predictors useful?
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good call, Ode.
    I'll see if I can turn a (hopeful) 61-62 min 10M into better than a 3h 16m then.

Mind you, I ran a sub 18 min 5k last year - off very little training and that converts to times I can still get nowhere near, and I do a bit now (sometimes).

Jools
    No doubt you'll be joining me in a sub3 quest at FLM then - if you don't already bag it at Amsterdam.
  • Options
    Hi Folks,
    Race calculators frustrate me as they don't factor all variables in terms of course-map weather conditions ( take London this year for instance ) and its entirely possible to run nearly 27 miles on some marathon courses by taking corners wide etc so my ten pence worth is that the last six miles determine your time as it can take an extra minute per mile if you are struggling with dehydration/ cramp etc . So TR your times v similiar to mine over 10 miles so you've got the speed so its simply distance and practising drinking whilst running that might be slowing down second half.
  • Options
    Hail Hail

Almost 11M today at a very slow pace of 7.15s, but it did include 8 x 0.5M hill reps, so all in all a reasonable workout.

Big game in Moscow this evening. Apparently it will be played in close to 36C heat!! Puts FLM this year in perspective. I still owe DanA from the last football bet I had with him, and this one will be even closer to call, so I'm saving my cash.

Dull - how about paying them? £1 a mile? You'll soon find that they can easily do 10M! Good luck with the fast stuff.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Giles
    The 62 mins is a hopeful time. My best is 64 min from a couple of years ago.
    The main thing slowing my marathon times down is the fact that I havn’t done any yet.
    I did the one ½ and stopped at 13.1 miles.
    The 64 min PB was set off very little running too.

Mmmmmm perhaps I should sack training – it does Gatorade no harm. And CRAB and RB have done well in recent marathons with a poor build up.

Perhaps I should take the Jade Goody approach. How many miles is a marathon, and how far is a mile ?

Don't get my started worrying about my drinking again too !

DanA - Man U have never failed to win at least one of their opening two premier league fixtures - up until now !!
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    I was just going to tell DanA not to save his money and not back Utd tonight until TR's little nugget of info. I think now I'll have a few quid on it myself and assume we'll get our fingers out tonight!

Calculators can be a bit frustrating, particularly as the assumption is that you're in the same condition for each race, but as a lot of us on here train through races, that's got to mess about with the times by quite a bit......
  • Options
    CM Care to make a sentence out of the following words: face, sodding, your, shut ;o)

As you were.
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    I've converted my sole HM time of 1:23 into my sole M time of 3:04. Interpretation: MacMillan seems to work pretty well for me, and add on a few minutes for London Marathon conditions this year.

Will be interesting to see what the predictors say for a Spring marathon next year but in the mean time I've just gone and written down my first shot-in-the-dark prediction/tergat for the purpose of filling out my FLM'08 application: 2:55. I'm hoping that when I start cranking up the miles to a bit more than 30 - 35/wk this may be a bit conservative if anything.

Of course, seeing as it's ballot or nothing this time round I'll probably have to find another mara in Spring for a sub-3 anyway. Any recommendations?
  • Options
    Hail Hail

Phil - Paris is a better course IMHO. And it makes a damn sight better weekend away too. Online entry, no ballot, first come first served. You need a medical certificate however. A friendly GP will do it for nowt, or you can do your own. Forumite Coops signed his own a couple of years back with the name Dr A. N. D' Themedics. No really.
    Alternatively, Lochaber (very flat out and back course, minimal support) is usually the same day as FLM, or Edinburgh which was a really good fast course this year, and much better organised than in previous years, which is in May I think.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    PP
    I based my one and only ballot attempt last year on the fact that the faster time you put down the less other people you will be competing against for a place. And put down a sub3 time and got in. Knowing that most sub 3 folks would get a GFA time anyway.
    I reckon you should put down a faster time than 2h 55m. Cos you got in last year, so will need to be competing against less people for a place this year.

That’s my understanding of how it works. I may be wrong, but I think they allocate places rather than draw names out of a hat. So they are looking for fast ballot people.

I also only decided to enter a few days before the closing date too.

• Options
    Hail Hail

TR - nah. Estimated finish time is irrelevant. You've got an almost guaranteed chance if you use a 1st class stamp, put on upside down, and use an Ilford postmark. Its a well known fact. I got that from the FLM Ballot conspiracy thread.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    There you go then PP, try RB's method - must be a "nod and a wink" type application signal.