Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    Gobi Once he's supplied 'em he'll come on here slagging 'em off if my experience is anything to go by. You've been warned ;o)

padams 2:28-ish. FFS I'd better get training a bit harder but you wouldn't be that quick with little legs like mine. Crikey that's 'x' minutes quicker than I was hoping for and 'x' is a pretty big number. Fair play son. I'll be the first to shake your hand if :-

a) You haven't fckd off home
    b) I can reach

MMMMmmm... or alternatively just train on the course a lot like the lesser spotted that won it last time did to see how much of a problem it is. Not as if she's short of a bob or two and if she's soo desperate to win it then can't be that much of a scarifice can it? Don't get me wrong I think Nadcliffe is a (clean) legend but even though I'm not 100% convinced she didn't have something not quite right with her in Athens the winner did out-prep and if you wanna be the best, if you wanna beat the rest then Roy Castle wasn't a bad judge - albeit he was a terrible presenter given his cheesey over-enthusiasm.

Not sure where all that lot came from.

As you were.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Cheers coldfeet. An extra ~£50 for a HRM seems a bit unnecessary at that stage, especially as I have a basic one already..... Having said that though, I'd have to spend an extra 60 to save the 50-odd, so....

Good luck Jej. I think you may just about manage a new PB there ;-)
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I think it is more a case of, how big will that PB be JEJ ?
  • Options
    Cheers guys. Well my 5000m time would indicate 25:4x, and it's not unusual for me to exceed the predictors moving from short to long races. Just ran an easy 30mins in prep, hitting the third mile in 4:50, which felt cruisy.

Last week I ran a 3000 TT, paced by my mate in 9:03 - surely would have been well under 9mins was it not for the walkers, soccer players (yes, in lane one) and really annoying kids who kept trying to race us for ~50m on the home straight before fading and stopping right in front. So pace is there, my cold is all but gone, humidity has dropped, but temperature is still 35C and hills are still in place.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Good luck JEJ. I predict 25:53. Definitely a PB not a PR, even if run over the pond.

Re: 305. I'm a fan of the integrated HR monitor - saves two gadgets on the wrist, etc. and you can download all the data at once. I think they claim that the 305 has better satellite 'reception' than the 205 (the 301 is the non-HRM version of the 305) but I find it takes ages to lock on. 60 seconds minimum. I try to look unconcerned standing by the roadside... but still feel a bit of a twat.

And good luck to the Bodders runners, including Gobi, the Imelda Marcos of the thread, it would seem. Frankly, I don't own that many pairs of non-running shoes (although I've been told that my approach to 'day' shoes is masculine!).
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Have JeJ and Padams had a head to head yet over any distance? Not sure who my money is on (but would probably lose it anyway). Either way, both far too good to be on this thread - 2.28 marathon talk and cruisy 4.50's is akin to getting your tackle out and waving it about in front of the girls.

As it's Friday, and you've all started slowing down for the weekend, I've prepared a nice little film of the race I'm doing next week. This year they've kindly added 10k and another 500m of climbing just in case it wasn't hard enough. 2,500 entrants, so would be extremely pleased with top 50. But who knows...
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    "2.28 marathon talk and cruisy 4.50's is akin to getting your tackle out and waving it about in front of the girls"

<closes eyes>
  • Options
    Jools – don't want to be pedantic but the 301 is the old version with HR. i.e. the 205 is the new version without HR (just checked on Amazon)
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I've been out pedanted!* Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!! Definitely time to go home and get that 13 mile run done.

My mate claims her 305 is better than her 205 in terms of signals near tall buildings, etc. My first Garmin was a 305.

*Yes, it's a made up word.
  • Options
    Jools Stop peeking through them fingers ;o)

Dan A I agree. I reckon if I put everything I had into it (not a lot I'll grant you) I might manage a 4:50 mile but it would be far from (Tom) cruisy and certainly wouldn't be followed by anymore. And as for back to back 74mins halves WTF is all that about. I mean my half PB is only.....well you know by now don't you.

Conclusion The sooner that pair fck off and leave us talentless sods to it so we can think we're half decent the better. Don't throw out those 'I beat JEJ T-shirts' guys they could be worth a bob or two come 2012 ;o)

As we used to be.
  • Options
    Great video Dan, looks a bit hilly as well, but not as tough as the 5000m climbs in the Faroe Islands, and we had to wrestle giant Trolls on the way round too.

Re sub 7 on the rowing machine, only 20 lightweight V50's world wide are registered as having done a sub 7 in 2006, as lightweight is less than 75kg and I am 63kg, I very much doubt if I'll even get close.

Good luck to all those racing this weekend, especially the talentless sod trying to go sub 30 for 5 that I beat at FLM05.

I've still got the T shirt, and a very long memory.

Dull

• Options
    I'm trying to go sub 5 for 30 if that's what you mean?
  • Options
    Gobi
    I'm relying on you to find me on Sunday.

Of course, if I spy a 2 ft tall dustbin with lasers radiating from it, then I'll say "Hi".

Still zero mileage for me this week, master of the lazy taper. At least I got to the physio and had her play with my body.

Next on the agenda is the racing haircut. That'll be my concession to weight loss.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Left home at 9ish this morning for a day out with Thomas and Friends (my little lad thought it was ace again, so looks like it'll be the 10th year next yer), which was followed by going straight to cricket at which I got roped into umpiring a game so the lads could "do a bit".

Got home about 8ish looking to do a bit myself and walked into a domestic tantrum - that soon put paid to that.

I had a real sense of "giving something back" today too at about 8pm.

Oh well, I knew there would be days like this in the school holidays, so I'm pleased that I did a fair bit earlier in the week.

Hoping to do a bit tomorrow.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hey DoT

Have you been on the sauce ? A wee snifter or two ?

I've just opened a beerio myself.
  • Options
    Beer. whas that then?
  • Options
    Maybe a couple or 5
  • Options
    Been in interview land today - you wouldn;t believe the story, and kind of fell in to a the stella trap when I got back, will have to be up early to avoid the parking ticket in town tomorrow though!
  • Options
    TR, Blisters

I know you're both up - humour me...?
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I'm still here.

I was reading some other drivel elsewhere.

Don't do Stella - not man enough. It makes me all wobbly.
  • Options
    Ok, so not able to run for at least another week, maybe longer. - :-(

Underwater mp3 has not arrived yer :-(, and have ALWAYS hated cleaning my bike, so avoid riding in the wet at all costs now (have you seen the forcast???:-(

Stopped off on way home for a wee snifter, and may go with mtb to Wales tomorrow, but otherwise little to report on any vaguely related sub - 3 training subject matter, so guess its time for sleeps...
    Gnight.
  • Options
    Aha - the man is back...
  • Options
    Started off with Carling - the sports drink or lagers, but ended up (paying to get in) in a place that only serves Stella! - Clearly the championship start of Worcestershire lager drinking clubs!

Momentarily lost focus in my pursuit of athletic excellence perhaps, but I will later turn tomorrows hangover in to a spur to harder training in the future|!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice one DoT,

I've only had a couple of tinnies and only weak ones at that. I don't do anything to excess !

I'll be chugging up those hills all-right still.

Don't reckon i'll run too far from home (cos of my sore calf) - so I'll be up and down the 3 peaks hills - I live at the bottom of it. So 3 peaks may become 4 tomorrow. If my calf hurts too much I can easily bail out.

Either that or I take BFH with me an a farther away run.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I suppose all the skinny rakes are tucked up with their jim-jams on.

Kung-fu ones or football kit ones ?
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Seems that no-one else is about - I think I'll go and surf the TV channels before I retire to my pit.

No Jim-Jams, it's a Bunny suit for me !
  • Options
    Checking weather forecast - plan A was to camp with mates for Race The Train tonight and tomorrow ( clearly they running and me spectating), but got home late and couldnt face journey. SO will consider trip tomorrow am, taking mtb perhaps, and may sabotage their attempts at a proper pre-race full night's kip tomororw night?

On the other hand, if forcast is for rain in Wales, then I may stay here, safe in the knowledge that nature will be doing my job for me, raining copiously on there tents whilst I sleep soundly in my house of bricks!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Added the next biggest hill to the mix, so now up to 4 peaks. Approximate 12 miles with four 5min+ climbs.
    Did a CRAB and wore a cotton T shirt - don't think I've ever sweat more. With my ample bosom I could have won a wet T-shirt contest no problem.
    Decent run, calf was more tight than sore. Need to get off the hills though - knees don't like the descending. I need the calf and knee to catch up with the rest of the body. May do some PJ's later.
    Anyone else done a bit ?
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    No, missed my bit this morning as I decided I needed a bit more sleep (if only there was a sleep category, I'd be an Olympian...) and then had a 10 o'clock rehearsal. Just had lunch then heading over to Reading. Will do very easy 5-6 miles early evening and then tackle Burnham Beeches tomorrow morning. I note that the BBC weather forecast thinks the rain will restart around 10am. Why, thank you.

I'm guessing DOT is sitting very still and asking everyone to be very quiet...