Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    Hope you have a good one UDS.

TR - at least you've mitigated my disappointment at not being able to do London this year a little but I'm sorry to hear you're still not right. Forecast for Boston is great for today - double the wind speed tomorrow, typical, though to be fair it doesn't look too bad it's just that it's so exposed and looking at previous results there may not be many running the pace I hope to be. Woke you this morning feeling rubbish - sinus headache and sore throat - but hoping it's just the taper talking and because I took rest day yesterday (just couldn't face dragging myself out in the cold and wet again for a few miles that weren't going to make any difference at this stage.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Good luck UDS and LMH. DBS.
    Unlucky TR. 
    All ready here. Bed at 10 pm and woke at LMH o clock but nodded off for a few more hours. Feel rested and lurgy 95% gone. Just did doubles early in the week and a few 3m Thursday / Friday. It's going to be wet and windy which are conditions I quite like though will add a few minutes to the finishing time. Seems the wind will help when running clockwise and hinder when anti. 500 runners involved with a pre-predicted win time of 2.40 so hopefully will be running for a minor place and aiming for 2.50-2.52. Swapped the offer of my brothers sofa (he's doing the half) for a quieter hotel. So UDS&LMH let's have this. 
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    So today just some travelling, plenty of water and carbs and find a nice Italian restaurant in Swansea for risotto and maybe my first beer in 2 weeks with my older son. Bed early. With the recent discussion on wave starts there's also a half marathon tomorrow. The marathon starts at 9 the half 5 minutes later run over roughly the same figure of 8 course, not seen that done before. 
  • Options
    Nice rally call there OO!! Sorry which marathon are you running on Sunday? 

WOW and also Boston this weekend too. Good luck LMH!!! You sound in fine fettle. Are you doing all the Marathon Majors? 
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Run well UDS, LMH, OO and anyone else racing. 

Thanks all for "well done's" re Manchester, means a lot coming from all of yous.

Wardi - your club mate ran well at Manchester then. I obviously never saw him. All my PBs were painful. This time I ran controlled so only last couple of miles became a problem. 

TR - as other have said already, gutted for you mate. Your recap of a couple of your sessions including double doubles was so impressive and you seemed to be handling them with ease. Maybe see you at Abo? Although if memory serves you often enter but don't run?? 

Great pic of the thread legends! The only time I have run London I remember being too nervous to go say hello. I think Charlie recognized me and said "hi" but I'm still in awe. Maybe next year I'll pluck up the courage :)

Haven't run since last Sunday, legs felt fine by Tuesday but right foot has been tender to the touch on outside edge and causing discomfort whilst walking so have stuck to walking mainly. 

Other than that in decent shape and glad I paced my race the way I did. Got a good result, which has rekindled the fire and as alluded to by ES i have been googling autumn races - Abo looking best option atm. Got to work on shifting some excess baggage.. as the late, great Mark E Smith proclaimed... Don't eat chocolate, eat salad instead.... Wise words MES RIP!

So looking forwards to all the reports over the next week or so. 

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    UDS - http://www.greatwelshmarathon.co.uk/ in 20-25 mph wind, guaranteed driving rain, yet 10C.  I suspect you have mistaken identity for LMH Boston - its the lesser fabled version in Lincolnshire. One day LMH one day. 
    Cheer SJ - hopefully the foot injury will pass soon. 
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Anyone backing Old Red Lion (well, Vieux Lion Rouge) in the Grand National?  I backed Long Run to win the Gold Cup a few years back, so obviously it's a good marathon omen.  I'm on!!
  • Options
    UDS - it's the less glamorous Boston I'm running as OuchOuch says - less hills:-)

So you gave in and ran then OuchOuch? I couldn't have carded a zero for the last couple of days. Your forecast sounds worse than mine First MV50 rather than first M now the aim?

SJ - is your hip flexor tight? That would cause you to run more on the outside of your foot and might explain the tenderness.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I was thinking of backing 'Delusion of Grandeur' Dan  :)
  • Options
    Blimey, you can't afford to leave the thread alone for even a couple of days at this time of year!

Al_P
    , I saw your (and Ryan's) Salisbury results on Strava - fantastic runs from both of you. 

TT, sorry to hear about Paris.

OO, LMH and UDS, best of luck this weekend! LMH - I did not twig you were doing the "UK" Boston!

Selbs - great to see you pop in, hope to see you down the pub!

That picture reminds me that I am going to struggle to recognize any of you in the pub on Sunday! I will have to bring a crib sheet of race numbers with me!

Like Al_P, I planned to do a parkrun this morning as a final blast. After reading Dan's comments, I almost didn't go, but decided to chance it in the end. It was my first time doing this particular parkrun, so dutifully listened to the newbie pre-race briefing. After explaining the route, he asked if anyone was aiming for sub-19 or faster so I said "yes", and he replied "hmm, you might be leading the first lap so good luck!" Fortunately there was a dog-runner who shot off into the lead and a couple of others of a similar pace to me, so I was OK, until the point where we realized the dog-runner was also a first-timer! He almost took a wrong turn after a mile, but one of the regulars shouted out and he swerved back, unfortunately crossing the dog into the path of the guy in 2nd. No harm done luckily. I was in 3rd at that point, running about the same pace as last week but it all felt a lot harder and it was only about halfway round that I remembered I'd done 3x1M intervals on Thursday which was actually supposed to be instead of the parkrun - oops! I did get out to the front at about the 2k point after the dog got tired and I passed one other guy, but the legs weren't having it and I faded between 3 and 4km, finding myself in 4th as we passed the 4K marker. The leaders were all still in sight though. Then the first two opened a gap with about 500m to go, as they duked it out amongst themselves and I put on a late surge to grab 3rd place back, and managed to hang on to it. So my 100% parkrun win record is gone, but I still have a 100% parkrun podium record: 2 for 2!

So anyway, that's my race report skills sharpened up for a week Sunday!!! Looks like it might be warm, but to be honest, I'll take 18C over the 27C I had in Boston last year. I will post race number later - is anyone else actually on FGFA start these days?!?

• Options
    TickTockTickTock ✭✭✭
    Good luck to OO, UDS and LMH. I hope you all have fab races.

TR- really sorry to hear you are going to DNS. I hope you are back running soon and can bag some summer races.

Seems like Selbs isn't going to slum it with us on the FGFA, but fear not ES there will be a few of us.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    With nearly 6 hours sleep banked, with no jilted Italian male crying outside my room to the early hours (Barcelona last month) or a brother whacking me on my head to my snoring (Gran Canaria in Jan) this is a far better start to marathon day. Admittedly it's windy and pissing down outside but with pre- race 2 out of 4(magic formula) d&d this should be a decent day. Thanks for the good wishes will let you know later how it went. Now thinking of going off at 2.48 pace and see what happens. 
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Pre-Race ablutions. 
  • Options
    You did better than me with the sleep OuchOuch but I think I win on weather ? Have a good one!
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Well done LMH - great run; hope you're pleased with that result. Won't spoil it but it's here if you're interested > click here

Likewise OO - fine position, and pretty close to the time you were after on what must have been a lonely run at times.  Enjoy the recovery.

Anyone watch the Commonwealth Games marathon?  Lots of anger about medical cover (or lack of), but either way it was a fascinating watch which underlines just how brutal the marathon can be, regardless of your fitness or ability.
  • Options
    TickTockTickTock ✭✭✭
    Yes Dan, just watched it. I had seen the headlines but not aware of the detail. Both races were brutal. Surprised medical attention didn't arrive sooner. It just shows how quickly it can all go so wrong.

• Options
    I'm not Dan though I'm made up for P who I've been mentoring who smashed his first marathon with a 3.17.17 (he's 52).

Cut and pasted from the DTT:

Short version - it became obvious in the third mile that today wasn't going to be my day, I was on pace but it was feeling far too much like hard work. Things went from bad to worse when I started having GI issues again - but this time from about mile 8. I had to give in and dive into a portaloo at 11.5 miles which helped though obviously cost me a bit of time and a couple of places, though I think I caught the guys who had gone past later on. I knew that a PB wasn't happening either but determined that I'd go for goal C though for a while I wasn't convinced that I was going to make it however I managed to negative split (I think) and come in at 2.56.49, my second fastest marathon so I should be ok with it really though I'm not especially happy. Good enough for second on the day but would never have challenged for the win even if on PB form as convincingly beaten by a not much younger but consistently faster lady who runs for Rotherham.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Cheers Dan, yes really pleased and feel more positive post race than the Barcelona marathon though I ran that one 2 minutes quicker. In short: loved the course along the coast can't beat the smell of sea air, plenty of beaches and coastline to see. Ran nearly all on my own.
    Result was 2.51.13  4th place 1st with grey hair. Makes it my 8th consecutive sub 3 in just over 12 months. Cool wet but really windy which helped a bit when tail but really hurt when headwind and as it picked up in the race found myself notching up far too many 7.20-7.40 miles. With the leaders till mile 4, then 3rd till mile 15. Gave it 99% today so happy I dug in.
    LMH/ UDS how did it go. 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    LMH.. that's a cracking time given the pit stop and the neg split is impressive too.

OO.. did all the finishers get a bag of whelks or similar??  :)  Nice one, safely sub 3 (again) in the wind and mostly solo.

Congrats on the Park Run podium ES.  Hope to see you in London

Park Run blast for me yesterday too, a few seconds faster than last week rounded up to nearly 6m with w/u & c/d.

Vale of York 10m race today, close to where I live so I was familiar with the slightly undulating course.  I kept the handbrake on around 7.50 pace & ended up pacing a couple of girls from 5m who were chasing sub 80 and had noted my metronomic miles.  Home in 78.33 without any strain and the legs feel fine, really enjoyed it and it has given me a bit of added confidence for VLM.  The fast girls were out in force, top 3 were all sub 60.  Nice to bump into Race Jase who is coming back after a stress fracture injury and currently claims to be fat and slow.  :|
  • Options
    I'm glad you enjoyed it and are happy with the result OuchOuch. The answer to your question is in my post above yours:-)

It sounds as though the smoking jacket came out today Wardi:-) I was pleased to be able to help a guy to his sub 3 GFA today with a little late race pacing and encouragement, it's nice when you can do that.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    LMH - seriously impressive and well run. Wish I could go even near a negative split. Unlucky there was one lady faster, first lady in my race 3.30. 
    Wardi - alas not as it is the area for them. A decent tech t-shirt, a tube of flexiseq (miraculous stuff £16 in Tesco/  Boots) and few other bits and bobs. Good pacing and sounds a good run-out. 
    No more road marathons now till Berlin just the small matter of the Marathon du Mont Blanc in July and note Dan is doing the nutters nutter version. So Cornish coastal path here I come. 
  • Options
    LMH - don't be too disappointed, that was still a great time, and marathon running is a cruel game. Seeing Callum Hawkins flat out on the tarmac in Australia is testament to that. You ran sub-3, it was your second fastest ever, and you can carry the banked training into your next race. A new PB is on the horizon I'm sure.

OO - fantastic run - congratulations. 8 sub-3's in a year is an amazing achievement. Nice to see you're not letting up either, with both summer and autumn marathons planned!

Last double-digit run for me today - 13M. I turned on the gas a bit in the second half and averaged 6:49 for the last 6M. Pleased with that. See below for VMLM details & tergats.

• Options
    Wardi - #28123 Tadcaster Harriers royal blue/skyblue/white quarters or royal blue club t-shirt.  3:30 ish, otherwise GFA is 3:45 if the wheels get rusty.
    TR 
    DanA 
    CW #1348 Cambridge & Coleridge (white with blue stripes), blue start, A: <2:39 B: <2:40 <C: 2:45
    Joe -
    Jooligan -
    Al_P #1431 New Forest Runners (white with green side stripes), green (short) shorts. Targets: A-2:28:xx B- A PB 2:29:2x C-Sub2:30
    Padams - #1580, St Albans Striders blue/yellow), blue start, A:<2:30, B:<2:33, C:<2:37
    BEJ #1425, Wirral AC (white with horizontal green stripes) A:<2:30, B:<2:31.16, C:<2:34.18 adjusted to A: <2:35 (or top 75), B: 2:38 (or top 100), C:<DNF
    SK -
    CD #1202 Tadworth (green with white central band), blue start. A: 2:40-2:45, B: DBS.
    ES - #31568 Unattached (red vest), red FGFA start. A: 2:54, B: 2:57, C: 2:59
    LukeStur - #23643 Lifeguard! (yellow top, red shorts, red lifebouy!), green start. A: 2:44:59, B: 2:45-2:49, C: < 2:55:53 (Guinness World Record)
  • Options
    Wow Congrats OO and LMH amazing times there!! I'm knackered so this is not the long story but I'll get straight to the point. 3:00.05!!! Can you believe that!! Haha. I was well happy with how the race went. And I really couldn't have done anymore. I was on pace with 7km to go but wasn't taking anything foregranted or thinking I've got this in the bag. I didn't once think that throughout the race as I was working hard from the very beginning. But in mile 24 my right leg buckled from underneath me and it was all I could do to stay upright and try to fend off a major wobble/cramp. My pace in that mile which was 6.50 dropped to 7.25 and it was all I could do to think going. The leg recovered and i started to run normally again. Although they had both been screaming at me since mile 20. If anyone knows the Brighton route and that out and back from the Power station you will know that it's tough down at that end. The least inspiring part of the whole course at a time in the race when you are digging deep. Anyway as I was saying I started to run normally again but I really thought the sub3 was way off and distant dream. I didn't just give up on it and was still pushing but I thought at that point that I was pushing to get a 3:003X time. The 3 hour pace makers that I had run with for the entire course were over 200 yards ahead by this point too which again suggested in my head that sub3 was not near. Then the roar of the crowd really pumped me up and I went for it with 1/2 mile to go (but I didn't know the distance at the time). I missed both the 25 and 26 mile markers. So then I saw the finish line off in the distance and looked at my watch with two minutes and counting. Man this was going to be close. Then I was on the finishing straight and pumping my busted legs with total tunnel vision. The time on the gantry came into view, for a split second I thought maybe but with 20 yards to go I saw 3:00.00 come and go. Gun time was 3:00.11. Chip 3:00.05. There is no disappointment in what happened. My training went well and to turn a 1.26 half into a 3hr Marathon despite all the calculators saying I couldn't is pleasing. Of course I wanted sub3. That was my target but unlike in 2011 when I was absolutely distraught at posting at 3:30.06 and missing my goal by 7 seconds I don't fill like that at all this time. It's the performance that matters and what I can take from it. So onwards and upwards. 

So question: am I allowed to stay on the Sub3 forum? Perhaps we can rename it the sub3 and a few seconds! :-) 

And Strava never lies right. My marathon on there today was 2:59.30 as the distance was 26.3. (pace 6.50) mainly because you always take wider turns and on this course they all add up over that distance. Don't worry I'm not clutching at straws. And anyway plastic straws are banned everywhere now anyway. 

As far as Brighton Marathon goes. It's a great event and I would recommend it. Good atmosphere and course kept the mind engaged. It wasn't without its tiny flaws but they can all be overlooked due to the Pint of ice cold non alcoholic beer given at the finish after the medal. That was a real treat!!! 

So next up is Warsaw (30 Sept). So plenty of time to recover and start phase 2 training. I won't change too much to be honest but will get in more Long runs. Will keep the quality as I have been doing but still intend to limit my runs to 4 a week. That could possibly peak to 5 with more long slow stuff in the summer as its so much nicer then!! Which makes everything easier. 

So in summary I haven't done any consistent running for 3 years before I stated training in November. I averaged 35 miles per week in the end and ran MK Parkrun PB (18.18), 10KM in 37.30, half in 1.26.00 and converted all that into a smidgen over 3. So have I convinced anyone on this forum that low volume can work!??!  Haha no I thought not you guys won't change your ways but there is room for diversity in training and mega high volume is not the only way.

Thanks all. 
  • Options
    UDS - very well done indeed. I'm gutted for you not getting the sub-3, but pleased to see you're not letting those 5s get to you. When I ran my first marathon (MK) in 2013 in 3:02, it bugged the hell out of me for a long time. Life's too short! As for mileage, well there are some on this forum, e.g. Padams who excel in converting low mileage into top notch racing results. As you say, there are many ways to approach training. I think all on here would agree though that more mileage would make you a better marathon runner. Oh, and by the way, at the end of the Chicago Marathon, you get a "real" beer, and if you're sub-3, that would be at about 10:30AM. Just saying  :)
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Wardi - #28123 Tadcaster Harriers royal blue/skyblue/white quarters or royal blue club t-shirt.  3:30 ish, otherwise GFA is 3:45 if the wheels get rusty.
    TR 
    DanA 
    CW #1348 Cambridge & Coleridge (white with blue stripes), blue start, A: <2:39 B: <2:40 <C: 2:45
    Joe -
    Jooligan - #26012 Blue/White MIND vest, Green Start, A: 2:59, B: 3:01:xx, C: 3:02:18 (PB)
    Al_P #1431 New Forest Runners (white with green side stripes), green (short) shorts. Targets: A-2:28:xx B- A PB 2:29:2x C-Sub2:30
    Padams - #1580, St Albans Striders blue/yellow), blue start, A:<2:30, B:<2:33, C:<2:37
    BEJ #1425, Wirral AC (white with horizontal green stripes) A:<2:30, B:<2:31.16, C:<2:34.18 adjusted to A: <2:35 (or top 75), B: 2:38 (or top 100), C:<DNF
    SK -
    CD #1202 Tadworth (green with white central band), blue start. A: 2:40-2:45, B: DBS.
    ES #31568 Unattached (red vest), red FGFA start. A: 2:54, B: 2:57, C: 2:59
    LukeStur - #23643 Lifeguard! (yellow top, red shorts, red lifebouy!), green start. A: 2:44:59, B: 2:45-2:49, C: < 2:55:53 (Guinness World Record)
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Well done on the Brighton result UDS.

I also ran Brighton today.  I also started running in November 2017 after a break and ran a PR in 19:51 and a HM in 86.54.  However, my focus was the marathon, so I trained 7 days per week, peaking at 80 miles per week. Result - 2:59:32.  If you want to break 3 hours, you should probably try increasing the mileage! 

• Options
    Congratulations SBD.

Sorry you didn't make the sub 3 UDS.

Can't help but be a bit disappointed with it though ES - if we didn't always want better I guess we wouldn't get ourselves out of the door to do the training. Hopefully my autumn campaign will be a bit less compromised.
  • Options
    SBD - congrats on your sub3! Nice one. Were you running with the sub3 pacers Tom and Fass, or were you just ahead of our group? I'm sure we must have seen each other and possibly even spoken. I was wearing the Purple and gold of Leighton Buzzard Athletics Club. 

Of course I would agree with comments that an increase in mileage will increase my endurance and sub3 chances. But I don't think that means 80 miles for me personally. Everyone is different. My spring marathon training was just phase 1 and I always intended to ramp it up slightly from here. But my focus is always to take the minimal approach and injury prevention. 

I can now get excited about London next Sunday and supporting all you guys!! Good luck to everyone running.