Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - similar by as much as we both sped up for the last 5m, but then you left me trailing !
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    On a recent circa 1 degree run I had special cream on my fingers, silk liner gloves & merino wool outer gloves.  My hands were still cold!
    Nice runs TR & OO.
    Just over 10m for me yesterday, winding down for Sunday now so an easy 5m today.  Sod's law the forecast for Sunday is for 20+mph winds which is not good news on a mostly exposed course.  It was windy the last time I ran a half too :/
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Wardi - i have some ski type gloves for when its really cold but i just wear them like mittens wirh my fingers in a fist, in a pair of liner gloves. Shame about the wind sunday, someone told me its warming up at the weekend didnt know it was going to be windy, luckily my race doesn't have much seafront in it.
  • Options
    Gusting 40mph according to the forecast when I looked this morning Wardi :( Have you tried Buffalo mitts? You could wear a merino or silk liner inside too.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

Mitts for me too, with fingers in a fist like TR.  Works a treat for me.  Plus it's a lot easier doubling up if the outer layer is a mitt rather than a glove.  A mate of mine just uses old socks, but he's very old school.

Alternatively, just wrap your hands in counterfeit money, as our friend above suggests.

Looks like a bit of a blower Wardi.  Maybe it'll be a tailwind for some of it (yeah, right!).

XC league tomorrow, thankfully on a pretty sheltered course.  Unfortunately one of those courses that gets quite narrow for a lot of it, so unless you're like a jackrabbit off the start you'll spend a lot of it boxed in.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Hi thread!  I've done a few days' lurking as penance for not posting for so long.  Unfortunately I had another bike accident whilst in Valencia and hit my gammy knee again, so sulked for the 3 weeks during which I couldn't run and avoided the forums as a result.  I am now back running, albeit only 6 or 7 miles at a time just now.  Commiserations to my fellow benchees, congratulations to those flying along, and best of luck to this weekend's racers.
  • Options
    Good to see you back Joolska - I hope there are no impediments to your recovery this time.
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Jools - good to see you back, but you've had some bad like with the bike accidents. Hopefully your visit to the bench will be short-lived.

Lots of interesting glove strategies! I just use normal running gloves (which are quite thin), but maybe I'm just hardcore. I very rarely stay cold for an entire run and always wear shorts.

6.5M "easy progressive" (7:00 down to 6:07) yesterday lunchtime. 3M from the nursery to work this morning and will try to squeeze in 5M back, both with a fairly heavy rucksack.

XC league race on Sunday so will probably try to do something like 12M very easy tomorrow just to keep the mileage up a bit.

Found out yesterday that Marders was just short of 5,000M for 2018, which is quite ridiculous given I was impressed by the 3,000M+ total some of you lot achieved.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Joolska - sorry to hear that, you need to keep away from bikes for a while, wether its riding them or being hit by them.

Padams - 5000 is outrageous, must have been some very big weeks in there to allow for the odd low week. Marders always seemed to be racing  half or full mara most weeks, so cant have been tapering much.

6m easy this morning. Needed it too. Got a booze up and all you can eat chinese buffet tonight, not sure its textbook prep for a race sunday.
  • Options
    Sounds like great carb loading TR - enjoy!

Padams - some of us suffer badly with cold hands. I know that Wardi has Raynaud's and whilst not diagnosed with it myself I have poor periphery circulation so my core can be fine but hands painfully cold.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Yes indeed I need gloves below 10 degrees and 2 pairs below 3 degrees.  My feet aren't affected though and I nearly always wear shorts too.  The main thing with Raynauds is to make sure your hands are warm before you go out.  With the right combo of glove(s) running usually generates enough circulation to keep the worst of the symptoms at bay but cycling at this time of year is out of the question.
    Tuck in TR, you've earned it!  Don't go prawn crackers though. ;)
    Jools.. I reckon you had about 5 years worth of bad luck last year, hope you can get some consistent consistency going from now on.
    Best of luck on Sunday Padams, shouldn't be too muddy I guess.
    5.2m today, calm as a millpond out there!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - sounds similar to me,  im in trouble if my hands get too cold during my pre morning run dog walk.
  • Options
    I can't keep my hands warm when dog walking and on the bike it's ridiculously painful but running is usually ok with a combination of a long sleeved merino with thumb holes, gloves and a long sleeved top with thumb holes that I can pull over my hands until they warm up.
  • Options
    I also have rubbish circulation to my extremities, hands and feet. Usually when running the feet are ok, but I even have to wear gloves in the office in winter and have a heater pointing at my feet. In summer I can only wear sandals on the hottest of days, and too long in the shade results in numb toes. 

Good luck to everyone racing long distance in the wind. I'm not a fan but my race is only 6km XC so shouldn't be too bad. 
  • Options
    Not surprised you needed an easier run today TR. Sounds like my kind of pre-race carb load too.
    I too suffer from Raynaud's these days. Started about 10 years ago but it's got a lot worse in the last 5 or so. Fortunately just in my fingers but pretty awful. I went to the doc's last year as I was getting chilblains in May! I had various blood tests which revealed I was otherwise healthy - even had the best cholesterol levels he'd ever seen in 25 years as a GP. I'm usually OK whilst running but within 15 minutes of stopping all blood disappears from my fingers. 
    A decent 11 for me this evening then a 2K swim. Good luck to all those racing XC, 10K & HM this weekend.
    Nothing for me though I will be parkrunning tomorrow. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I was glad i was only doing a short run today after the booze up coupled with a bit of lurgy. Not sure a 1 day taper will help much after 6 weeks of 70/80mpw, but we'll see how my time compares to last year after tomorrows 10k.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    After volunteer duties at Parkrun today an easy 4m for me, I plan to relax at the cinema later.
    All the best for tomorrow TR, is it due to be breezy down your way too?
    That sounds like a weird collection of symptoms Jooligan.  My worst affliction is that my right hand occasionally swells up by around 10% in cold weather.  I have to keep rubbing massage oil into my fingers on that hand to stop them drying up/cracking.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - apparently so, could be another course personsl worse for me !
  • Options
    What are you going to see Wardi? I watched The Favourite last week and can highly recommend!

XC felt like hard work compared to last week. Pretty much the same course but run the other way around. I actually ran a faster pace per mile, but finished behind a girl I beat last week and a lot further behind another girl than I thought I would be. However, first full week back at work, first full week of training and no 'taper' (ran last night and this morning before the race) so it wasn't ever going to feel easy. Just another hard training session since I missed a couple of the league races anyway and therefore didn't need to worry too much about my individual position. 
  • Options
    Sounds like a good session CC2 if not a great race.

Hope to see you tomorrow Wardi.

Hope you have a good run TR.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Good effort in the breeze CC2, Stan & Ollie for me at the pics.
    LMH.. I normally have a quick chat with Charlie near the front of the start so I will look out for you also.  I will be at prize giving with a cup of tea afterwards too.  I've decided on a club t-shirt (royal blue) as vests always seem to blow off my shoulders on a windy day!
  • Options
    I'll be in my usual purple vest Wardi but huddled in a grey cardi until as near the off as I dare. Not sure about prize giving - depends if Mark wants to get off or not. I doubt I'll be waiting to collect one - it's usually a class field. Hope you enjoy the film.
  • Options
    Jools - rotten luck but good to see you on the other side now. Wishing you nothing but good luck going forward.

CC2 - well done on getting another XC done especially in these conditions.

Padams - good luck tomorrow in your race.

TR - ditto. The carb load sounded ideal to me.

Wardi/LMH/CW - hope conditions improve overnight. Run well.

Mrs SJ and her mum are affected by Raynaud's. Oddest thing I've ever seen when blood leaves their hands and they look like they are made of porcelain.

Had a tumble tonight. Couldn't make XC this arvo as something cropped up so thought I'd run a few tempo miles tonight.

Slipped on a curb/crossing a big junction. One eye on the traffic, one eye on the pedestrian signals etc. Fell into railings/traffic light posts, one of those truncated posts with the pedestrian signal button things.

Stopped myself with my chest (sternum area), jaw and knee. Have chipped a few teeth and jaw and knee have swollen badly. Sternum feels sore but I don't think any major damage.

Feel pretty beaten up. Not totally sure what happened but that's my best guess. Will rest tomorrow now instead of planned 20. I did think the other day things had been going too well over past year.

• Options
    Really sorry to hear about your fall sj - I hope it's nothing serious but please get yourself checked out if you're not feeling great this morning - headache, pain when breathing etc.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Oof!  That's terrible luck and sounds like a nasty fall SJ, I guess you will have no choice but to take it easy for a while.  A swift recovery to you. :/
  • Options
    Ouch, that sounds painful SJ. Definitely a day of rest for you today! 

Good luck to all doing Brass Monkey, or any other race. The wind sounds horrific outside my windows and I'm not at all looking forward to battling it at a sedate pace, never mind trying to race in it. May it be behind you all the way!
  • Options
    Jeez! Rotten luck SJ & bloody painful too by the sounds of it. Hope you heal up swiftly but give the knee time if it needs it.
    Hope races went well.
    I got out for my Sunday 20 so that's 3 already in 2019 B) Easiest one I've done even though I tacked on an extra K & pushed on the final mile up a 1% gradient.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Ouch SJ, hope you are ok? Sounds like a dentist trip needed too. How are you today?

Jools - nice one, 3 already in 2019. I have 3 since Christmas.

I ran the expected course personal worse today around 40sec slower than last yrs 37.4X. Really thought i was going to struggle to break 40mins at first. Ive been putting in big miles so i expected nothing else, good blowout and a decent training run with some training partners. Onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    How was the wind TR? It was definitely 'challenging' for my long run. 19 miles and definitely not shelling any peas yet! 8.12s the best I could manage and at one stage I'm not sure I was actually moving at all as a gust hit me just as I tried to go up a very, very small incline over the suspension bridge at about 18.7 miles. Week one done though, 65 miles. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    CC - yes was windy, could have been worse though as it wasnt sea front based, 2nd half was a fair bit quicker so less windy. Well done on the 19m. You dont need to be shelling peas this far out.