Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    Take care sj and do what feels right for you.

No, just a turbo in the garage CC2 and by the time I can use that walking will hopefully be an option. No cast means that any kind of movement is quite painful.

Just codeine, ibuprofen (which I'll only use for a week at most) and paracetamol Wardi.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    Ouch, LMH.  I get the theory with no cast, but it does sound painful and scary.  Hope you manage to find a way to space out the pain relief over the day which at least takes the edge off things.

1 more run to go for me (club session at 3pm today), but currently on 2,617 miles.  The last year I exceeded that was 2016.  That might explain why I'm now rather slow!
  • Options
    JackHarris87JackHarris87 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    LMH - sorry to hear that, sound a painful one. Wishing you a quick recovery 

RJR - amazing 10k effort, congrats. Bet you can’t wait for a race to test yourself 

TR - really good mileage, you seem to be back in the swing 

Some really impressive yearly totals posted about. Just 710 miles for me but almost all of that has been in the last 6 months after injury, trying to set myself up for next year. 

I’ve had to cancel today’s plan for 12 miles with a running club friend as my housemate has tested positive for corona. I was just about to start 10 days off work after a couple of night shifts tonight and tomorrow but will now be self isolating for most of them. At least I’ve got the turbo in the garage and space to do some home workouts to keep me sane. Happy new year all

• Options
    TR - This time I have to agree. That felt far more comfortable than my other race efforts of late so I think there's more to come. 18 miles is a serious effort, well done.

Wardi - well done for staying on your feet. I'm a wuss in these kinds of conditions.

SJ - That's a shame but sometimes you need to take a step back to appreciate the running again and come back with some energy. Best of luck.

OO - Sounds like pretty standard stuff to me. Perhaps they are the charity marathon runners of the future!

JH87 - Ah not good! Don't suppose you could have done much anyway in tier 4 but hopefully you can make use of the downtime. Hope the turbo isn't too much of a bore.

Heading for my first 50 mile week since Feb but taking it very easy with frost and ice about. About 1370 miles for the year. Not a big total but there was plenty of structure and it was enough to achieve my aims.

Happy new year everyone.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - whilst we might still be on closed cct racing in the spring, the vaccine should allow racing normality sometime this year.

OO - dont you see dinosaurs routinely?

LMH - hopefully a mix of walking outside for sanity and turbo for fitness will help when you are able.

Jools - nice cake, just needs a bit of icing to get some speed back.

JH - fingers crossed you dont develop anything.

Joe - youd defo go lots quicker in a race. Hopefully you'll find that out soon.

10m for me, 3531 total. Good riddance 2020. Onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    Bad timing Jack - hope you stay clear.

It should settle in a few days Joolska (I hope!).

That's what matters rjr.

I won't be on the turbo TR.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Best of luck staying covid free JH87, tricky when you are in the same building.

LMH.. gutting to have a few weeks enforced lay off but hope the pain & discomfort side of things reduces soonest for you.

Jools.. good total for the year, hope the session went well.

TR.. kudos for getting over the 3,500m mark; yes 2020 has been a 9 month damp squib.

Joe.. good stuff hitting 50+.  Hope you can unleash some of your speed on a race in the not too distant future.
    OO.. had those dinosaur costumes been Bronte-suarus your run would surely have risen to wuthering heights! (bum-tish)

Lovely crisp sunny morning here, not a cloud in the sky.  Got out for 6.5 miles, great views across the fields.  I've ended up on 2468m for the year, happy enough with that.
    Me & the Mrs have traditionally put on a New Year's Eve 3 course meal, wine,  bubbly etc for about a dozen chums for the last 10 years.  As we can't do that this year I'm treating her to an Indian meal from our (very good) local takeaway.  The Kingfishers & bubbly are chilled, lime pickle is at the ready.  Happy New Year all, hope you have a good night. 
  • Options
    Legs were a little sluggish and tight, but 4 X c0.75 miles on grass done.
  • Options
    I live at the top of hill where the snow and ice hangs around for ages, so had to drive down to the river to get a safer route to run today. It was really busy as here in tier 4 people have nothing better to do on a nice sunny and frosty day than to go for a nice walk along the embankment. 7 miles of sort of fartlek (set distances but no set recoveries), and nothing really fast yet. More like controlled, slightly less slow bimbling. I hope it doesn't take months and months to get my speed back. I know there won't be any races, but still, I feel slow and lumbering! 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - that evenings menu sounds good to me.

Well done jools

CC - i had to stop for 6 months in 2016/17. Took me a while and a lot of miles to get back towards where i was, esp as im in my 50s now. Keep plugging away, getting your coach is a good idea.

Seeing as my niggles are improving with management im going to try to run a bit quicker at times as i think it might help my body longer term, and ive eased the training back up after the CV19. So.....today was 9m inc 10x3min. Will see how it goes.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Rest day for me today after 10 days without one.  Housework must count as active recovery, in any event!

Happy New Year, thread.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. yes the grub was lovely but good job I ordered early - nearly 2 hours waiting time!.  Predictable I suppose as there was nowhere to go for celebrations so everyone stayed in.  Champagne does seem to go well with Indian food. :p  Nice session today BTW.

CC2.. as TR said it just takes a bit of time.  After my spring niggle my 'as you are' pace gradually improved by 30-45 secs a mile as the discomfort relented.

Still a bit of ice here & there so carefully picked my way through just over 9m.  Glad I took the rain jacket as the middle 3-4 miles were in steady rain.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    HNY all! 

sj - yeah, Jr enjoyed it, cheers. He's unbothered by the date. I've always told him that when he's old enough to drink he'll at least have a day off work guaranteed after it. Nice training.

Jools - good to see you getting some good training in.

CC2 - likewise. Having tried being coached I can understand the benefits (though it didn't work so well for me - I'm a touch stubborn) so hopefully it works out well for you.

rjr - re: the sprinting comment. I've always had good results from regularly including sprints/hillsprints in my training (and strides). Helps with neuromuscular coordination and power. Nice 10km!

LMH - oh no. Sorry to hear that! Heal well!

Lots of good training by many; well done all. Frustratingly for me, after the 4 weeks previously averaging over 40mpw (including the fibro flare up week), I had to have a covid test (thankfully came back negative - so just a standard winter viral thingy). However as I was sat down last night planning an early start for a run this morning I got contact traced to self-isolate...... Ironically the only place I have been where I could have been in contact with somebody who tested positive would have been the test centre...... Sod's Law!!! 

On the plus side the isolation period finishes 2 days before we get the keys to our new home so I've got plenty of time to pack now I guess!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - housework is hard work in my book.

Wardi - ouch on the waiting time but as you say no surprise.

Body bounced back pretty well from ydays session. So, 16m , 8 easy, 8 ~mp +10%. The gagdet reported the 3rd easy mile being way too fast, but upon checking the garmin trace was erratic.

8 running days in a row totalling 95m, which is good progress and helped by being able to run at the same time everyday, allowing for max recovery.

Dorney 13 wks today.
  • Options
    A big one today compared to the gentle bimbling I've been doing of late. 5 miles 'tempo' (not really, but not plodding) followed by 5 x 3 minute hill reps, then weights this afternoon. 3 minutes is an awful long time when you're going uphill! 

TT - that sucks. Surely you weren't in contact with anyone else for long enough at a test centre though? Has to be 15 minutes doesn't it? Gotta be honest, I'm tempted to delete that app. I sat in a tiny, stuffy, unventilated room for a couple of hours with my dad when he died (with Covid/of Covid, phrase it however you will) and I didn't get it. I have antibodies, proven by a test. They clearly work. The isolation was a killer though. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    TT - sorry to hear that, i hated the isolating. Good job it ends before you move.

CC - big session that, thats a lot of work. What sort of effort/pace is the 5m ? Given theres 5 x 3 min afterward?
  • Options
    TR: Well if I were fit it would be 'high end tempo pace', which I suppose is 10 mile race pace or thereabouts. But I'm not fit. Also it's a hilly route. I think my coach is erring on the side of caution with the paces this week, because the schedule said 8.15s. It's hard to pace because of the hills and a grass section and I got it a bit wrong, but it seemed daft to slow down after a mile when it felt sustainable. I did 7.45s and could easily have carried on. Well, clearly I did, because I went straight into the hill reps! We don't really have anything to go on for paces right now, it's just guess work. Tomorrow is set at 'slow' 8.45 - 9 min miling, which is slower than I would normally do for a long run, but since I'll be running with a slower friend that should be OK. I imagine there'll be a revision of the paces fairly soon. The mixed pace runs this week were pretty easy too. 

I noticed he set a similar (but harder) session for my friend Sam today. She ran for GB in the World Half Marathon champs in 2020, so she's a few (!) levels above me. I'm not sure how long her tempo was, but it was 5.45s and followed by 8 x 3 minute hills. I got off lightly with 5 reps it seems.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    CC - understood. Quite an easy pace today then. I spend a lot of my time slower than 8mm so dont worry about that........if your coach has international athletes working with him, id defo let him set all the sessions. 5.45 pace would be around 1:15 pace ?
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    CC2.. that's quite a day, nice work.  I don't think any of our local hills are big enough for a 3 minute ascent!

TT.. Sod's law indeed, you couldn't make it up etc.  Best of luck with the house move, exciting times.

TR.. another decent 'long' MLR in the bag and that's a cracking total for 8 days.

A couple of my fingers have become swollen due to the Raynauds condition so I decided to have a 'day in' and avoid today's 0-1 degree temps and snow/sleet combo.  In the event I quite enjoyed 10k on the treadie with the last 3m close to MP.
  • Options
    Actually that must be her marathon pace TR. She's run a few 71 minute halfs and the plan is for her to to move up to marathon now, aiming for Tokyo selection in Richmond. If you watched the Big Half on TV before you'll have seen her. She led it for a long time and ended up second to Lily Partridge. She only took up running in 2018. Sickening isn't it?! Her first ever race was the Robin Hood Half in 2018 (very hilly), which she ran with her phone in her hand the whole way, in 83 minutes. Technically she has run a marathon already in Sprin 2019, but she had no clue what she was doing at the time and nowhere near enough miles in the legs. She still ran 2.51. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Thats grim Wardi, defo avoid the cold if possible then.

CC - fair play to her then. Good to see her progress, plenty to come too. Sounds more like MP with 5m and then 5 x 3min. You're in good hands with that coach.

Turbo here today.
  • Options
    Lots of you getting the new year off to a good start. 

TR - really impressive mileage. 

CC - last year I really took on the idea of building my aerobic base as much as possible before introducing speed work after picking up too many injuries in my time. Doing most of my running easy seemed counterintuitive and with regular races, club training and parkruns I was overdoing it. I thought I’d give it a go this year and was amazed to knock 45 seconds off my 5k with almost no speedwork. I still think those 8 min miles work wonders even if they feel too easy, recovery is so much faster for the following day too. 

TT - bad luck. I’m not sure there’s that much method to the madness surrounding Covid but I suppose it’s better to be cautious. 

I’m isolating too as my housemate has it. Bored out of my mind. Will jump on the turbo for the 3rd straight day today. Just set my best ever FTP a couple of days ago and I’m working on improving my max no. pull ups as something to do to pass the time. So tempted to get out for a run late at night just for my sanity. 
  • Options
    12 miles slow enough to get cold and stay cold. That's 48 miles this week, which is starting to look like 'proper mileage' and I'm starting to feel like a runner again. It snowed again yesterday afternoon so we had some ice to dodge even by the river, but it's raining quite heavily now and not supposed to get below 0 tonight, so I'm hopeful for clear streets for tomorrow's recovery plod!
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    18 for me to bring up 60M for the week.  It was a bit of a grim plod, as for some reason I felt tired and wiped out, but you can't have everything!  I'm base-building at the moment, and so the next couple of months will be mostly plodding, with some strides/hill sprints and tempo-lite work in there (up to half marathon effort), but nothing faster.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Good work getting the long run done Jools, I guess we all have tired days occasionally.

TR.. I can manage the Raynauds ok, it's just a bit of a nuisance in the winter.

CC2.. must feel good to be back amongst decent mileage again.  Pity about the chilly run, did you think you needed another layer?

JH87.. shame about the house situation, hope you can escape for a run soon.

Back outdoors today, though something of a challenge as the early morning rain showers had frozen and turned all paths into ice rinks.  About 60-70% of my run (all untreated cycle/pedestrian routes) had to be done close to or on grass verges.  3 laps of the racecourse which went from frozen to thawing to thawed as the laps were done.  The route back to the car was better than the outward run but due care & attention was still needed in places.  Still, my legs got a good workout - 11.7m done; not falling over was a bonus. :)  
  • Options
    Wardi -  you did well with 2 hours, we order at quarter to 7 and it came after 10. Eating that late really slows down the drinking...so probably for the best. Not surprised you've had your struggles, barely above 0 here for over a week now.

TT - that's fair enough, anything that improves form and efficiency should help over any distance really.

Lots of activity I see to kick off the new year which is great to see, especially give the conditions.

Managed my 50 miles for the week with 14 miles today. Mileage very manageable when you don't have to think about work! Felt like a bit of a struggle beyond 10 miles which is not a huge surprise. Best run of the week was Friday's 9 miles with 5 miles at around HMP (29:47). 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    JH - i fee for you, i hated the isolating. The turbo kept me fit, but running again was tough on my old body.

CC -  onwards and upwards, hope the rain clears the snow.

Jools - good week again. I prefer the +10% second part of long runs nowadays, otherwise those runs feel a long way and get ploddy.

Wardi - hope your ice and snow thaws soon. 

Joe - good week that, and pace. You could still do an Easter mara.

Anyone see Marders run today ?
  • Options
    JH - if you feel ok I would go for that late run, just to keep mind and body together and away from people.

Joe - A good day and a good week. You mentioned work, so another day wfh. Not been in an office since Jan 2020. Not missed it.

8m and a 60m week for me. Quite an enjoyable run in the sun this morning but sure was chilly.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    A steady 6 this morning. First mile was plodtastic (9.30!) but the legs eventually loosened up a little. Running in the dark never helps, either, but the time off work had to end.
  • Options
    TR - haven't ruled it out as yet if it looks like they're going ahead but training plan geared towards end of may. I did see his run. You gotta do what you gotta do I guess.

OO - Similarly have worked from home since March and it has its ups but I'd still like the structure and interaction that comes from going into a venue every now and then.

Jools - Wow 9:30 is ploddy indeed although it probably doesn't do any harm. Running in the dark is the pits I think but like Madders, sometimes it's a must.

Glutes a bit achey today which I think is good as it's part of my strengthening routine to work them (and keep the ITB at bay hopefully!) so does show that I have engaged them. Plod later with the other half.